Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,737 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? (37572 Views)

Out Of 12m Vehicles In Nigeria, Only 2.5m Have Genuine Insurance / Woman Runs Into Church To Escape Mob Action After Hitting Okada Rider. Photos / Masquerade Flogged Me: My Experience In Enugu Travelling Out Of East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by cooltola(m): 10:08pm On Feb 13, 2018
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by Ugosample(m): 6:22am On Feb 14, 2018
To a large extent, yes it is

Nigeria is a rough country, so it does not hurt to try elsewhere
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by Ugosample(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2019
vanbonattel:

By the time APC and this present administration finish with Nigeria, people will be using legs to trek to Sudan to live.
lmao
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by Ugosample(m): 10:43am On Jul 18, 2019
MansaMoussa:

So the European Destitutes who sailed with Columbus, Da Gama, Cortez, Park, Perry etc were lazy abi?
Migration is a fundamental part of Biology( yes, Even Animals migrate on their own to greener pastures-read the great wilderbeast migration) and it has nothing to do with laziness...Infact, only the Strong survive it...Ever wondered only Under-40s made it to Canaan under Joshua( and don't gimme that crap about the Rebellion in the Desert)

True that
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by Ugosample(m): 10:55am On Jul 18, 2019
dabossman:

I have never been an advocate of relocating abroad without having something definite to go to. I have had several arguments with family members abroad on that issue, especially at the time when I had just finished my NYSC some 13 years ago.

However, having travelled to a few countries eventually I can say that the difference between those of us living here in Naija and those living abroad is simply about having a structured society. If making it in terms of being able to build a house in your village and own flashy cars is your goal, you've set of on the wrong foot. However, if what you want is a saner environment where basic things like electricity, transport system, educational system etc work to a very great extent, then you can consider relocating LEGALLY.

There are millions of Americans and Europeans who are not "rich" in the Nigerian sense. They don't own a car, live in a rented apartment and don't have much in savings. But they can catch a bus or train to work everyday, they come home at night and there is light. They can grab a cold beer from the fridge, sit and watch TV and then start the cycle all over again next day. They can save some small money for a holiday trip every now and then without worrying about visas. Their kids can go to mostly free public school and still get a decent education (even though they still complain about their own public schools), and they can struggle and save to pay for college later. There's law and order and a general sense of sanity, even though they also have some mad people. There is no being rich or "MAKING IT" involved. There's just a more general better standard of living, I guess. And if one is content with that, you're good to go.

The flip side is that here in Naija, you can make even more than those abroad, but you still have to contend with no light and noisy generators, bad roads that constantly damage your car, expensive private schools, unruly and indisciplined folk who don't even know what is right anymore and large scale corruption from top to bottom. But hey, as long as God continues to provide, we keep going on. It's just that sometimes, you wonder if this is living; especially when you've seen what it is like on the other side.

It's really about the kind of life you desire for yourself and your family eventually. What you probably need to define is what "making it" means to you.

you have spoken well

2 Likes

Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by Ugosample(m): 10:57am On Jul 18, 2019

Please do not be offended by what I said. I am only saying what I have witnessed. I have seen lawyers, nurses, doctors who did well in Nigeria but they do not have the intelligence for the American system. It does not mean they are dumb, but it means that they do not have the required mental abilities for a different system. What passes as proficient in Nigeria may not meet quality standards in another country like the US and Canada. You certainly can't buy your way into certain jobs here. Why do you think Buhari is in the UK receiving medical treatment? I believe there is honor in all jobs so I am not saying that there is anything wrong within what they're doing. My comment was about the op. He has very good hands on skills that he will be able to use. I think he will be okay if he relocates.

you are right

1 Like

Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by choicesam(m): 7:35am On May 15, 2022
Come with your money let me do BAHRAIN VISA for you. *Free Accommodation *Good Job *Big pay *Peaceful country. Call or Whatsapp 08154735503.
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by Joanlondon: 11:45pm On Mar 20, 2023
i be uk base i go like find site like gumtree.com.or pageads.co.uk nigeria site
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by IbeOkehie: 1:38pm On May 17, 2023
This is a thread from 2017 with some stellar commentary that will make you THINK.

Good Luck to Nigeria!
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:49pm On May 17, 2023
Op did you move. Nigeria of 2017 is like a paradise compared to Nigeria of 2023. Omho shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by ednut1(m): 3:31pm On May 17, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Op did you move. Nigeria of 2017 is like a paradise compared to Nigeria of 2023. Omho shocked shocked shocked
check his most recent posts from 2021. Looks like he stayed
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:34pm On May 17, 2023
ednut1:
check his most recent posts from 2021. Looks like he stayed

Wahala. See all the dumb posts on the thread. Well tinubu is president now grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by IbeOkehie: 4:28pm On May 17, 2023
Even if anyone was doing well in business in 2017, let's say someone who had wealth in Nigeria valued at ₦‎100 million at the time, how much is it worth now? Two main internal factors have been driving the Nigerian economy for about a decade now:

1) Massive money printing by the CBN that is not supported by productivity
2) Massive inflation, which is related to (1)
3) Strong resistance by government and populace to further privatization, deregulation and decentralization of the economy
4) Insecurity of lives and property.

The economy has been in sustained economic recession, if not depression. I don't even need to ask the question because I know several entrepreneurs in Nigeria and many more ordinary middle class workers in banks, oil & gas, government and also traders. I know they're not doing better because they tell me so, but all I need to do is look at the data. The data is what drove me from Nigeria in 2013.

On the flip side, I know many Nigerians who migrated ILLEGALLY to the US and UK in the past decade and they're doing fine and even sending money home to Nigeria.
erico2k2:

Bross do the needful, I did same after youth-service and I managed to save my kids the wahala of Nigeria and Africa in whole. Do not look back nor let dem deceive you if U get the opportunity Cut sharp sharp

99% of people who had a chance to leave Nigeria in 2017 and didn't take it are surely regretting their decision today.

Good Luck to Nigeria!
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by worried222: 4:37pm On May 17, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
And it’s looking like Nigeria of 2023 might become a paradise compared to Nigeria of 2029.
At least in 2017, it’s easier to relocate to Canada, UK, US, Schengen countries, etc.
But forward to 2023, it’s difficult and more expensive to migrate to a better country.
Anyone who had the opportunity to leave and declined it is more likely to regret it than otherwise, generally speaking.

2 Likes

Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:43pm On May 17, 2023
worried222:

And it’s looking like Nigeria of 2023 might become a paradise compared to Nigeria of 2029.
At least in 2017, it’s easier to relocate to Canada, UK, US, Schengen countries, etc.
But forward to 2023, it’s difficult and more expensive to migrate to a better country.
Anyone who had the opportunity to leave and declined it is more likely to regret it than otherwise, generally speaking.

In 2017 Canada express entry points weren't up to 450. All you needed was your degree and like a year of work experience now dea it seems you need a PhD, be below 30 and some french proficiency to get it. Only God knows how Nigeria of 2030 might be and how difficult japa will be
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by worried222: 4:51pm On May 17, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

In 2017 Canada express entry points weren't up to 450. All you needed was your degree and like a year of work experience now dea it seems you need a PhD, be below 30 and some french proficiency to get it. Only God knows how Nigeria of 2030 might be and how difficult japa will be
Plus the free fall of naira till date.
If naira had remained stable all these years, at least one can be able to japa easily.
Now 5m is nothing when converted to dollar.
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:03pm On May 17, 2023
worried222:

Plus the free fall of naira till date.
If naira had remained stable all these years, at least one can be able to japa easily.
Now 5m is nothing when converted to dollar.
Omho na wa o. Truly one can't lose betting against Nigeria
Re: Is Travelling Out Of Nigeria Only Way To Escape The Harsh Economic Situation? by IbeOkehie: 8:39pm On May 17, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Omho na wa o. Truly one can't lose betting against Nigeria

This has been my outlook for a loooong time now. Why? When Okonjo-Iweala was in government, one day I read something she was saying about the Nigerian yield curve. I went and looked up the term and that's when everything I could see around me in real time could be explained with some solid economic theory.

She said at the time that Nigeria has had a negative yield curve for many years...she said 20 or 15 years or something like that. In fact she was explaining that before she got into government nobody could even ascertain the yield curve for Nigeria, it was only after President Obasanjo's economic team cleaned up the debts that it could be calculated. After reading up on what she was talking about, fear catch me.

Once you grasp the economic essentials of Nigeria you will NEVER invest in that country. There's always luck or God though😂

Godbless and Good Luck to Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

See What Speed Bumps Is Causing On This Abuja Road (Pictures) / Fatal Accident Along Kaduna Road, 5 People Dead! (Photos) / RRS Removes Christmas Roadblock On The Marina In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.