Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,158 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet (2381 Views)

Some Things Car Dealers Do Not Tell Their Prospective Customers. / Naira Gain Against The US Dollar: What Will Happen To Greedy Car Dealers? / List Of Reputable Auto Dealers On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by davodyguy: 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2017
I'm compelled to open this thread, owing to what I've experienced in the last couple of days, in my quest to get a replacement car for my wife.

I'm looking for a 2008/2010 accord, in a pristine condition and willing to go as high as 2m, if the car qualifies to be called 'buy and drive.

Started checking online adverts on Nairaland, olx and

I'll see tags like
Super clean registered accord
Extremely clean Accord
Buy and drive,
Nothing to fix
6 months registered
Owner relocating abroad
Selling to upgrade
First body
New tires etc
And so on.

I actually found a couple, and after first calling, thereafter pressing them to speak the truth, they'll still stand by the fake tags put in the advert.

First was Benin, Edo state. After going down to see the car, shown in the ad very clean, we found the body dented, torn seats, dirty interior, and series of codes after diagnosis.

Yesterday, Saturday 8/7/2917 had to go check one after seeing the ad on olx and jiji.
The guy claimed the car was 9 months registered and nothing to fix.

Got to the car, found different colour on body parts. Fender paint, darker than the door colour, showing one part had been worked on.
Scanned the car and found 2 codes. One related to O2 sensor, the other related to coolant issue.

The selling is actually the 3rd user in Nigeria. I engaged the gear and found faulty engine seat. Ac not working and all 4 tyres are bad. Imagine this guy insisting on 1.7m for the over used 2009 accord.

Yesterday, I just gave up.

These car dealers really need to know the meaning of buy and drive, as well as nothing to fix.

Whilst some of these cars are 'buy and drive'. Buy and drive in the sense that, after buying, you will drive them away from where you bought them, they're are not in extremely good condition.

People should be honest.

Not saying you expect a Nigerian used car to be like brand new or like Tokunbo, but at least, you can say the truth to the public, instead of deceiving them in order to lure them to buying bad cars at very expensive prices.

For instance, the 2009 accord that I inspected, shouldn't exceed 1.4-1.5, having being over used by 3 different people in Nigeria. But this greedy guy was insisting on 1.7m for a car, he bought from second user lesser than 1.7m.

Only if owners can come out to put their ads themselves and not give cars to unscrupulous dealers.

90% of car ads on Nairaland Auto section, olx and by car dealers are filled with elements of lies.

One would only be hopeful to find the remaining 10% that are honesty in all intent.

11 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:44pm On Jul 09, 2017

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by shortgun(m): 12:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
If you want to buy a used car and have peace of mind don't buy cars advertised online. They are mostly overpriced and lemons.

Ask around ur locality you will surely get a better deal.

14 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by elshanAutos: 12:58pm On Jul 09, 2017
davodyguy:

this greedy guy was insisting on 1.7m for a car, he bought from second user lesser than 1.7m.

Only if owners can come out to put their ads themselves and not give cars to unscrupulous dealers.

One would only be hopeful to find the remaining 10% that are honesty in all intent.
Car owners are actually the same.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by pacino26(m): 1:06pm On Jul 09, 2017
That was how one NL dealer made me travel to Port Harcourt for a car that wasn't his to sell. The funny part was that he evaded me during the visit.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by NaijaEfcc: 1:07pm On Jul 09, 2017
True talk Bro
Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by dokiOloye(m): 1:26pm On Jul 09, 2017
shortgun:
If you want to buy a used car and have peace of mind don't buy cars advertised online. They are mostly overpriced and lemons.

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:32pm On Jul 09, 2017
shortgun:

I do not agree with you, I have bought lots of cars on NL, not all were as advertised, but Final price was befitting of the vehicle inspected.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by davodyguy: 2:12pm On Jul 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

I do not agree with you, I have bought lots of cars on NL, not all were as advertised, but Final price was befitting of the vehicle inspected.

As posited in the OP, no one is expecting a used car to be like brand new, but they should be honest about the condition of the cars and also, price must be reflective of the condition of the car

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by shortgun(m): 2:15pm On Jul 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Forget it bro....we have seen things and heard stories here.
Inspirem m, chuky 234 e.t.c comes to mind

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by princetom1(m): 2:52pm On Jul 09, 2017
pacino26:
That was how one NL dealer made me travel to Port Harcourt for a car that wasn't his to sell. The funny part was that he evaded me during the visit.

Shoot him next time u see him.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:00pm On Jul 09, 2017
pacino26:

hope it's not same dealer that made me fly to Ph and thereafter refused to pick call grin

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by davodyguy: 3:03pm On Jul 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

hope it's not same dealer that made me fly to Ph and thereafter refused to pick call grin

Oh my God. Why are people like that?

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by pacino26(m): 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Hmm nawa o, these boys no de fear ancestors o!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by pacino26(m): 3:19pm On Jul 09, 2017
princetom1:

Shoot him next time u see him.

To me that one bullet is more expensive than his life. Even I got to the car stand I realized the reason the ride was sold was that he under priced it. Mind you be gave a 500k mark up from what the real seller put the car. Very funny people.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:02pm On Jul 09, 2017
lemons all around, the question​is how to strip down these enhanced pictures first of all, at least let the body be as is before u decide to travel miles to check mechanical and electrical parts.

most people are not seeing or understanding the pains of the op, I feel and have shared same pain.
looking at it from a layman's view, one would say THANK GOD he went to physically inspect the vehicle. but as an economist/ financial advisor, one would actually pity op for time, resources and expectations wasted. in a more civilized economy/ environment one would make lots of money by suing defaulting party on grounds of falsification with intent to defraud!

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by obinna222: 4:36pm On Jul 09, 2017
In all honesty, being a seller and a buyer, I have personally witnessed a lot of crap cars online. I have had to fly from ph to Lagos on 2 occasions only to discover that the vehicles are not even worthy to be driven in Lagos not alone to drive to ph.

Now, the other side of the story is that as a dealer and a seller, I go as far as servicing the vehicles and ensure they are in a buy and travel condition. I also go as far as getting new tyres if need be. My focus in business is to build, retain and expand business relationship. Many others are simply interested in collecting money today and it ends there.

Those who know me on this forum would attest to this.

However, there are still the bad eggs amongst us. That's why you need to apply due diligence in all your business dealings.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by Kufie(m): 6:21pm On Jul 09, 2017
davodyguy:
I'm compelled to open this thread, owing to what I've experienced in the last couple of days, in my quest to get a replacement car for my wife.

I'm looking for a 2008/2010 accord, in a pristine condition and willing to go as high as 2m, if the car qualifies to be called 'buy and drive.

Started checking online adverts on Nairaland, olx and

I'll see tags like
Super clean registered accord
Extremely clean Accord
Buy and drive,
Nothing to fix
6 months registered
Owner relocating abroad
Selling to upgrade
First body
New tires etc
And so on.

I actually found a couple, and after first calling, thereafter pressing them to speak the truth, they'll still stand by the fake tags put in the advert.

First was Benin, Edo state. After going down to see the car, shown in the ad very clean, we found the body dented, torn seats, dirty interior, and series of codes after diagnosis.

Yesterday, Saturday 8/7/2917 had to go check one after seeing the ad on olx and jiji.
The guy claimed the car was 9 months registered and nothing to fix.

Got to the car, found different colour on body parts. Fender paint, darker than the door colour, showing one part had been worked on.
Scanned the car and found 2 codes. One related to O2 sensor, the other related to coolant issue.

The selling is actually the 3rd user in Nigeria. I engaged the gear and found faulty engine seat. Ac not working and all 4 tyres are bad. Imagine this guy insisting on 1.7m for the over used 2009 accord.

Yesterday, I just gave up.

These car dealers really need to know the meaning of buy and drive, as well as nothing to fix.

Whilst some of these cars are 'buy and drive'. Buy and drive in the sense that, after buying, you will drive them away from where you bought them, they're are not in extremely good condition.

People should be honest.

Not saying you expect a Nigerian used car to be like brand new or like Tokunbo, but at least, you can say the truth to the public, instead of deceiving them in order to lure them to buying bad cars at very expensive prices.

For instance, the 2009 accord that I inspected, shouldn't exceed 1.4-1.5, having being over used by 3 different people in Nigeria. But this greedy guy was insisting on 1.7m for a car, he bought from second user lesser than 1.7m.

90% of car ads on Nairaland Auto section, olx and by car dealers are filled with elements of lies.

My brother, I feel your pain. I'm not even an owner but a middleman. I direct prospective buyers to the owners so they can inspect and agree on a price. Over the Muslim holidays, computerglobal offered a free VIN/License plate check so I thought why not give him one of the cars I've been told to source for buyers for to check. To my greatest surprise, the report came to me stating that the car was recorded a total loss. I didn't bother confronting the owner, I just registered the adverts as "SOLD". While middlemen do all they can to get some money in their pockets, some owners are dubious and untrustworthy. I urge everyone I meet to do a research online and physical inspection is a must. Since then I've stuck to advertising and selling only my brother-in-law's cars as those are the only ones I'm sure of. Please let's be careful and honest here. Buying a car is a big deal

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by Opoki(m): 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2017
I begged a dealer who reside in lekki to tell me the truth about a Camry I was negotiating with him before coming down as I've tried twice and I don't like the conditions of the cars I got...

After using everything like sango, sanponna, amadioah to beg him, he later say the truth.

Faulty engine seat,
Bad compressor and
Bad driver seat.

I went with my mechanic and rewire who confirmed the car is not badly used. I met with the real owner, I requested for his ID and it matched with his car docs, I went to his office, see his boss, we went to confirm the documents together at the customs and I transferred the money to him.

I replaced the engine seat, break pads, back hub and general servicing. It's been 6 months now and no major issue with the car.

Many online sellers will never be sincere for an obvious reason, many stolen vehicle, resprayed, fake document etc that can easily make someone become a convict and be on the wrong did of law...

Buyers Beware!

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by davodyguy: 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2017
Kufie:

My brother, I feel your pain. I'm not even an owner but a middleman. I direct prospective buyers to the owners so they can inspect and agree on a price. Over the Muslim holidays, computerglobal offered a free VIN/License plate check so I thought why not give him one of the cars I've been told to source for buyers for to check. To my greatest surprise, the report came to me stating that the car was recorded a total loss. I didn't bother confronting the owner, I just registered the adverts as "SOLD". While middlemen do all they can to get some money in their pockets, some owners are dubious and untrustworthy. I urge everyone I meet to do a research online and physical inspection is a must. Since then I've stuck to advertising and selling only my brother-in-law's cars as those are the only ones I'm sure of. Please let's be careful and honest here. Buying a car is a big deal

Loooool

Register as SOLD

Looool

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by toastedbread: 6:58pm On Jul 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

what would it cost to look for someone residing in ph to check the car before you go down there?

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by Kufie(m): 7:28pm On Jul 09, 2017
davodyguy:

Loooool

Register as SOLD

Looool

Since we can't take down ads here that was the way to go grin grin

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:51pm On Jul 09, 2017
davodyguy:

Loooool

Register as SOLD

Looool

nah so dem de do when we catch them for autos grin

Cc princetom1
Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:55pm On Jul 09, 2017
Kufie:

My brother, I feel your pain. I'm not even an owner but a middleman. I direct prospective buyers to the owners so they can inspect and agree on a price. Over the Muslim holidays, computerglobal offered a free VIN/License plate check so I thought why not give him one of the cars I've been told to source for buyers for to check. To my greatest surprise, the report came to me stating that the car was recorded a total loss. I didn't bother confronting the owner, I just registered the adverts as "SOLD ". While middlemen do all they can to get some money in their pockets, some owners are dubious and untrustworthy. I urge everyone I meet to do a research online and physical inspection is a must. Since then I've stuck to advertising and selling only my brother-in-law's cars as those are the only ones I'm sure of. Please let's be careful and honest here. Buying a car is a big deal

as you have confessed, you are forgiven grin

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by princetom1(m): 7:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

nah so dem de do when we catch them for autos grin

Cc princetom1

Hmnn, dem be LIEnus
Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by kingreign(m): 8:18pm On Jul 09, 2017
princetom1:

Hmnn, dem be LIEnus

Car dealers??

Hian. I dey see plenty things shaaaaa.

Those unrepentant lying car scammers, may they never live healthy to enjoy their evil and ill gotten cash.
Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by Coolcash1: 8:51pm On Jul 09, 2017
@davodyguy, I feel your pain and understands your frustration...Before I share my own buying rules with u, let me say we do have genuine dealers online especially here on NL though very few. I bought my car (foreign used) from NL and that of my wife (Naija used) from Olx ....The story behind them is for another day.

These are the rules I follow;

Rule 1. Cars outside Lagos is a no-no! I don't bother to call no matter how good it looks.
Rule 2. Dealers are capitalist never expect them to say the whole truth- you decide what you want.
Rule 3. I go with a TRUSTED mechanic who will not compromise to do a THOROUGH inspection...A dealer tried to bribe my meco when we went for an inspection but the guy exposed him saying he won't destroy our relationship just because of money...I just laughed at the foolish dealer and never returned there.
Rule 4. I don't buy locally used purchased cars from another user. I go for fairly used cars that is being sold by the first user to reduce my risk and save myself from stories that touch.
Rule 5. I avoid cars whose prices are too good to be true...chances are that it's a scam. Though some buyers out of greed and love for cheap things will ignore the red flag and then fall a prey...For instance, a Naija used 2011 rx350 going for #3M..se nah bonanza? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by davodyguy: 9:00pm On Jul 09, 2017
Coolcash1:
@davodyguy, I feel your pain and understands your frustration...Before, u advice you let me say we do have genuine dealers online especially here on NL though very few. I bought my car from NL and that of my wife from Olx ....The story behind then is for another time.

Let me share with you my own rules;

Rule 1. Cars outside Lagos is a no-no! I don't bother to call no matter how good it looks.
Rule 2. Dealers are capitalist never expect them to say the whole truth- you decide what you want.
Rule 3. I go with a TRUSTED mechanic who will not compromise to do a THOROUGH inspection...A dealer tried to bribe my meco when we went for an inspection but the guy exposed him saying he won't destroy our relationship just because of money...I just laughed at the foolish dealer and never returned there.
Rule 4. I don't buy locally used purchased cars from another user. I go for fairly used cars that is being sold by the first user to reduce my risk and save myself from stories that touch.
Rule 5. I avoid cars whose prices are too good to be true...chances are that it's a scam. Though some buyers out of greed and love for cheap things will ignore the red flag and then fall a prey...For instance, a Naija used 2011 rx350 going for #3M..se nah bonanza? grin

Mine is always Rule 4 standard. But the direct owners don't know hiw to advertise cars themselves. They do it by proxy and we end up with capitalist dealers
Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by Coolcash1: 9:09pm On Jul 09, 2017
davodyguy:

Mine is always Rule 4 standard. But the direct owners don't know hiw to advertise cars themselves. They do it by proxy and we end up with capitalist dealers

Most of these owners don't have the time and patience to advertise. They will rather allow someone to do so on their behalf or give it to a dealer to sell for them. I don't see anything bad in using a middleman the problem is majority of them are extremely greedy who think they can put all their financial burden on the car. For me, when I see such adverts I know them. A car that will make me go above budget must be in a PRESTINE condition aside that no way!

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by divinemax(m): 9:45pm On Jul 09, 2017
Great post. It's also noteworthy to point out that some people encourage them by keeping quiet when they see very obvious red flags. Especially when the desperate seller blurts out their usual 'why are you spoiling my market, when you're not buying'.
Please keep helping us by pointing out obvious flaws in their adverts.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by toastedbread: 9:52pm On Jul 09, 2017
i know one/ two persons in ph. if you need to make any car confirmations before you travel, mention me.

i'll give you my contacts number. you might choose to video call him when he gets to where the car is so you see things first before you fly down there and be disappointed.
Re: Beware Of Lying Tongues Of Car Dealers On The Internet by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2017
toastedbread:
i know one/ two persons in ph. if you need to make any car confirmations before you travel, mention me.

i'll give you my contacts number. you might choose to video call him when he gets to where the car is so you see things first before you fly down there and be disappointed.

I will remember the name

(1) (2) (Reply)

2009 Model Toyota Corolla Le Used Selling Cheap. / Sold sold sold Foreign Used 2010 Toyota Venza For Sale / 2010 Rav4 In Excellent Condition At Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.