Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,148 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? (3823 Views)

How To Turn Your Image Into A Cartoon Image / How To Use The INFINITE DESIGN APP To Create A Cartoon Artwork / We Are Looking For Someone Who Can Make A Cartoon Storyboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by TopDogNaija(m): 12:23pm On Jul 11, 2017
Hello everyone. I'll like to make an inquiry on cartoon making. I'm a writer and I've got cool idea's to make short and interesting cartoons but I have no animating experience. I want to know what it takes to make short 2D cartoons like area and ajebo.
*Can I make a cartoon myself using my computer
*Do I need any special equipments
*How long does it take to make 1-5min 2D cartoon
Thanks for your anticipated reply
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by OKX(m): 6:29pm On Jul 11, 2017
Bro, answering ur questions as asked.

Any average computer with a decent video card that can run most graphic software will do for basic 2d animation.
The challenge is ur inexperience.

The only additional equipment u may need to invest in, is a graphic tablet. Several cheap brands exist, but Wacom series tend to top d list. Several models with varying costs r available under d Wacom brand.

A feature length cartoon will run at 24 frames per second or more, in layman terms that means for each second of animation, u need to create 24 drawings.

Depending on ur style, u can lower the frame rate to maybe 12.
With that approach a 1 minute video will require 720 sketches, a 5 min video will require over 3000 sketches .(3600 precisely)

Of course some elements will b reusable but the above calculation gives u a rough idea of d volume of illustration involved, so d duration of d project is how ever long it will take u to produce the above number of illustrations.

Beginner videos on getting started with 2d animation are available on YouTube.

Cheers
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by TopDogNaija(m): 10:45am On Jul 12, 2017
Thanks bro. That was helpful
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by mediagenius: 8:25pm On Jul 12, 2017
OKX:

Any average computer with a decent video card that can run most graphic software will do for basic 2d animation.

The only additional equipment u may need to invest in, is a graphic tablet. Several cheap brands exist, but Wacom series tend to top d list. Several models with varying costs r available under d Wacom brand.

A feature length cartoon will run at 24 frames per second or more, in layman terms that means for each second of animation, u need to create 24 drawings.

With that approach a 1 minute video will require 720 sketches, a 5 min video will require over 3000 sketches .(3600 precisely)

Of course some elements will b reusable but the above calculation gives u a rough idea of d volume of illustration involved, so d duration of d project is how ever long it will take u to produce the above number of illustrations.

Cheers
nice one
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by naijatoonz: 6:51pm On Jul 15, 2017
Hi Topdognaija If you intend to create ajebo/area kinda animation you do not need to draw ever frame their style of animation is easier to learn it is called cutout animation. If you have the determination you will start animating in no time. I was a complete novice a few years ago but I today can hold my own. Its all about determination. I also intend to start up a studio soon saving up for the project but I do strictly tradigital hand drawn frame by frame animation. I wish you best of luck. How good are you at drawing? So I can advice you on where to start from.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by naijatoonz: 7:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
If you look thru my posts you will see links to some of my old works on you tube. I produced them with a Pentium 4 computer with less than 1 gig ram. I used flash 8 for the animation. Its more about your skills. The computer is just a tool I believe acquiring the nessesary skills is the first step.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by TopDogNaija(m): 9:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
naijatoonz:
If you look thru my posts you will see links to some of my old works on you tube. I produced them with a Pentium 4 computer with less than 1 gig ram. I used flash 8 for the animation. Its more about your skills. The computer is just a tool I believe acquiring the nessesary skills is the first step.
Thanks for the info. Well, I can say that I'm average at drawing but I have a friend whose incredibly good at drawing. He's my artists.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by naijatoonz: 9:30am On Jul 17, 2017
TopDogNaija:

Thanks for the info. Well, I can say that I'm average at drawing but I have a friend whose incredibly good at drawing. He's my artists.
If you are are average you are good to go with your chosen style of animation. Cuz you won't need to do much drawings. This style of animation involves more of manipulations than drawings so you could use the same drawing multiple times. You can team up with you friend to start the project I will recommend the tools below for the project.

1.A computer system with a at least 4gig RAM and at least 120gig memory.

2. A graphic tablet . there are many brands and types wacom products are the best but they are a bit pricey. You could get other equally good alternatives like huion, genius e.t.c. since your style of animation will not require much drawings you might not need a cintiq . just the normal pen/pad tablet will do. A cintiq is a product of wacom that allows you draw directly on the screen. You can get the tablets on Jumia and konga or at computer village(powa plaza) close to UBA if you stay close to lagos.

3. TOONBOOM or Adobe Flash( now Adobe Animate). Toonboom is more robust and cut out friendly but it is a bit difficult to learn. You will have to sacrifice time to view the tutorial. Flash on the other hand is very easy to learn but does not have some tools and tricks you will find on toon boom so the choice is yours to make. I personally prefer flash because if it simplicity but I love toon boom drawing tool. They feel more natural. Usually I do the ruff pass in flash and clean up in adobe illustrator.

These are the basic things you need for the 2D cut out animation. You will need other things like a sound editing software like adobe audition. And some other periphral gadgets , I am not a post production person just an animator. You could hire a movie editor to do this or just google some tutorials on the subject.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by naijatoonz: 9:39am On Jul 17, 2017
Just an advice if you intend to use the cut out option you will need a very strong story to cover up for the animation lapses in cut out take for example south park. The animation is crappy from my view point but the stories are very interesting that is why its popular. A lot of effort should be made to tell a compelling story. You also need to know the basic animation principles like. Appeal, follow thru and overlapping action, squash and stretch, timing, arcing e.t.c.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by celestialAgent(m): 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2017
I can advice on top notch softwares to ease your work but first, I need to know your PC specs.

Hopefully she will be a beast!
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by TopDogNaija(m): 1:00pm On Jul 17, 2017
Please contact me on whatsapp 08097534595
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by 4lorunsho(m): 5:18pm On Jul 20, 2017
I need more than basic knowledge on adobe illustrator, power point 2016,premier pro. pls anyone
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by yazz09(m): 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2017
naijatoonz:

If you are are average you are good to go with your chosen style of animation. Cuz you won't need to do much drawings. This style of animation involves more of manipulations than drawings so you could use the same drawing multiple times. You can team up with you friend to start the project I will recommend the tools below for the project.

1.A computer system with a at least 4gig RAM and at least 120gig memory.

2. A graphic tablet . there are many brands and types wacom products are the best but they are a bit pricey. You could get other equally good alternatives like huion, genius e.t.c. since your style of animation will not require much drawings you might not need a cintiq . just the normal pen/pad tablet will do. A cintiq is a product of wacom that allows you draw directly on the screen. You can get the tablets on Jumia and konga or at computer village(powa plaza) close to UBA if you stay close to lagos.

3. TOONBOOM or Adobe Flash( now Adobe Animate). Toonboom is more robust and cut out friendly but it is a bit difficult to learn. You will have to sacrifice time to view the tutorial. Flash on the other hand is very easy to learn but does not have some tools and tricks you will find on toon boom so the choice is yours to make. I personally prefer flash because if it simplicity but I love toon boom drawing tool. They feel more natural. Usually I do the ruff pass in flash and clean up in adobe illustrator.

These are the basic things you need for the 2D cut out animation. You will need other things like a sound editing software like adobe audition. And some other periphral gadgets , I am not a post production person just an animator. You could hire a movie editor to do this or just google some tutorials on the subject.

Pls i am looking for a 2d animator, can i pm you so we'll talk.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by vheeqtea: 1:51pm On Jul 29, 2017
Hi ....am victor..a studio artist...2d n 3d character animator, movie edit, architectural designs... call 08128982579, 08188910438.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by Cinjay(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
To begin your journey in this field, first make youtube your friend. Then google up on these softwares:

Adobe Illustrator
After Effects
Toon Boom

Make sure your laptop meets with their requirements. Purchase the softwares and gather tutorials for yourself. To be self-taught is to learn without an exact path, making it tough to master but at the same time, making you learn better. Platforms such as Lynda, Udemy and Pluralsight are brimming with lessons that can take you from Novice to Master in a matter of weeks if only you'd subscribe for a fee.

Learn the tool but don't let the tool limit you. Practice often, follow people on social platforms that share your passion. Create! The best way to learn is by creating and not just swallowing knowledge. Put what you learn to practice by creating and you'd grow.

I create 2D and 2.5D animations. I'm on my design path to being advanced and I'd love you to look up my insta handle @thejameschizzy to see some of my works. Reach me on Whatsapp on 07065526370 for personal tutoring or if you have an animation job for me. I mean music visualizers, lyrical vids, skits, explainer videos, etc. I wish you luck dear friend.
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by don4real18(m): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2020
OKX:

Cheers
12 frames? cool
Re: What Does It Take To Create A Cartoon Animation? by daisyfaith: 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2020
We provide cartoon animated videos for a website for you, as our high expert's video animators maker help you to create top animated video production Services Online

(1) (Reply)

A New Nigerian Cartoon Family / Best Sketch Ever :o / Ebook On Photo Editing Using Photoshop: Price Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.