Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,422 members, 7,861,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:10 AM

Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria (1048 Views)

No Amount Of Postponement Can Save Buhari From Defeat – Onuesoke / The Only Candidate That Can Save PDP From Defeat Is Dr Bukola Saraki / Politicians Have Wrecked The Country, Only God Can Save Us ―Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by BlowBack: 4:03pm On Jul 11, 2017
Nigerians have never ever in their brief but very chaotic history sat down and rolled out a constitution that they can be proud to declare as theirs.

The Richardson Constitution forms the very basis of the current revamped Military imposed constitution. This same constitution was drafted, compiled, plagiarized and handed down to Nigerians by the British as an operating document. As at independence, the Nigerian constitution never made reference to any specific religion but the Obasanjo junta in 1978, bowing from northern pressure, allowed for Sharia to be included into our universal law. Now the issue of Sharia and the constitution is not a trivial issue that is relegated to the Muslim north, but going by the revamped 1999 constitution, Sharia law courts can be established in every nook and corner of Nigeria.

Now consider the process of administering the oath of office for a Governor as prescribed by the 1999 Constitution:

185. (1) A person elected to the office of the Governor of a State shall not begin to perform the functions of that until he has declared his assets and liabilities as prescribed in the Constitution and has subsequently taken and subscribed the Oath of Allegiance and oath of office prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.

(2) The Oath of Allegiance and the oath of office shall be administered by the Chief Judge of the State or Grand Kadi of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the State, if any or President of the Customary Court of Appeal of the State, if any, or the person for the time being respectively appointed to exercise the functions of any of those offices in any State.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Nothing stopped the likes of Aregbesola to have set up an Osun Sharia court during his first term and appoint a Grand Kadi which he could have requested administer the oath of office to him for his second term inauguration.

I had to present the Sharia inclusion into the constitution and how it is binding to all of Nigeria and Nigerians irrespective of religious affiliation.

That aside, will the same north which clamored vigorously mainly through violent student protests across the north back in 1978, sit back and watch the removal of Sharia law from the constitution?

Even the authority of what we mistake as the northern traditional rulers (the the Sultan and Amir is a religious title) depends on Sharia law being included to prop them up above other pagan title holders in the land. The same constitution has turned a religious authority to be the head of all other traditional tittle holders in the land.

So how in God's name do any of you think the northern Ummah will want the status quo to be restructerd?

Another argument I will like to introduce is the fact that there can not be any meaningful working document agreed upon by Nigerians if a National sovereign conference is convened to address the issue of addressing the flawed constitution.

I say this based on the very diverse cultures and clash of civilizations between the Arab Muslim north on the one hand and the Christian/Animist pro Western education south and middle belt on the other.

America and every other functioning democracy got it right because their founding fathers who were cut from the same cloth (European Christian settlers) held a common ground to seeing the British kicked out and an optimistic outlook of self rule among equals guarded by the rule of law (guaranteed by citizen gun ownership) and protected by the guarantee of individual personal liberty and freedom of speech!

In the case of Nigeria, we are not one in thought, ideology or religion and our aspirations are not only at variance but on a collision course.

The British and the Military juntas that single handedly published the constitution obviously saw the near impossibility of all Nigerians reaching a common ground and so took it upon themselves to compile the constitution.

It is on this ground I see any talk of restructioning as dead on arrival as true restructioning can only occur with the full overhaul of the 1999 constitution to which I don't see certain dark forces allowing that to happen any time soon.

The only path left is to peacefully dissolve this assembly and have the Hausa/Fulan and any other people who want to be part of their Caliphate go their separate ways.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by paschu: 4:56pm On Jul 11, 2017
Awesome! shocked

3 Likes

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by Splendid235: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2017
Splendid analysis and superior argument .counter the points let me see!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 13, 2017
Op, are u a Nigerian Or emh a refuge? Stop wishing dome for my country.
We know many of u on nairaland spitting out trash about Nigeria

Just watch out .. the dead bone shall rise again.
It might take a while for Nigeria to get there but I know that restructuring will be a step forward.
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by BlowBack: 5:20pm On Jul 13, 2017
[s]
Fame333:
Op, are u a Nigerian Or emh a refuge? Stop wishing dome for my country.
We know many of u on nairaland spitting out trash about Nigeria

Just watch out .. the dead bone shall rise again.
It might take a while for Nigeria to get there but I know that restructuring will be a step forward.
[/s]

Nigeria is an ongoing failed experiment on the feasibility of multiculturalism

As a lab rat, I would have expected you to want to flee your tormentors but no you are too used to the reward system of running round the ferris wheel for your treats.

It's over.

5 Likes

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by remedick: 5:28pm On Jul 13, 2017
lalasticlala, ishilove, mynd444 please this should make front page.
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by BlowBack: 5:30pm On Jul 13, 2017
remedick:
lalasticlala, ishilove, mynd444 please this should make front page.

My threads never make FP
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by remedick: 5:31pm On Jul 13, 2017
BlowBack:

My threads never make FP
lalasticlala, ishilove, mynd444, proof him wrong that his thread can make front page or snake will come after ya tongue
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by attackgat: 5:33pm On Jul 13, 2017
Are you trying to tell me that a Sharia Court can be set up in my home state of Anambra?
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by BlowBack: 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2017
attackgat:
Are you trying to tell me that a Sharia Court can be set up in my home state of Anambra?

The constitution does not limit the creation of sharia courts to particular states alone.

If Buhari is to resurrect from his grave and decide to setup Federal Sharia courts across the six geographical regions, he will be following the constitution.

The northern governors that declared sharia law in their states during Obasanjo era knew they were legally doing the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by BlowBack: 6:13pm On Jul 13, 2017
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by ONYEUTALI: 6:18pm On Jul 13, 2017
HTW

2 Likes

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by fineboynl(m): 6:36pm On Jul 13, 2017
good write up. lalasticlala seun.

the Yoruba never set to discussed the constitution as a time the north picked a Yoruba man for the election 1999. no one ask about what the constitution entails. their mind was to grip power in payment for MKO at the time.

how I which they ask ask to review the constitution wouldn't it have been better?

2 Likes

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by ONYEUTALI: 6:36pm On Jul 13, 2017
HTW

1 Like

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 13, 2017
[s]
BlowBack:
[s]

Nigeria is an ongoing failed experiment on the feasibility of multiculturalism

As a lab rat, I would have expected you to want to flee your tormentors but no you are too used to the reward system of running round the ferris wheel for your treats.

It's over.
[/s]

You called a country that's over 50yrs a failed experiment?
well, against all odds we have maintained our cultural diversity for this long.

Pessimist like you will godshopped your narrow mind not see anything good in Nigeria.

I will advise you, fathead to live my country alone.
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by conductor14: 10:22pm On Jul 13, 2017
Fame333:
[s][/s]

You called a country that's over 50yrs a failed experiment?
well, against all odds we have maintained our cultural diversity for this long.

Pessimist like you will godshopped your narrow mind not see anything good in Nigeria.

I will advise you, fathead to live my country alone.
So what exactly is good in Nigeria (permit me to ask)? smiley
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 14, 2017
conductor14:

So what exactly is good in Nigeria (permit me to ask)? smiley

Have you been to any African countries before?

If yes ,I will urge you to pack your bag and go n leave there...

If not...do something to change the situation of your country for the better and stop being modern day reporter.
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by conductor14: 7:48am On Jul 14, 2017
Fame333:

Have you been to any African countries before?

If yes ,I will urge you to pack your bag and go n leave there...

If not...do something to change the situation of your country for the better and stop being modern day reporter.
I asked you a simple question and you're running around like a headless chicken.

It's obvious. There's nothing good in Nigeria. You're just speaking to protect your 30k ministry job. Banza. cheesy cheesy

Officer! Nack him one.

1 Like

Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by JUSTICETHEO: 8:50pm On Jul 16, 2018
Re: Why No Amount Of Restructioning Can Save Nigeria by JUSTICETHEO: 9:04pm On Jul 16, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Trending, Who Is That Director Of Jamb Who Remitted #5 Billion To Fg / Atiku Says APC “beating About The Bush,”insists Buhari Has Sidelined Him / Ipob Sit At Home In Anambra Election Was A Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.