Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today (39595 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Caustics: 8:56am On Jul 13, 2017
hyuga:
and our vegetable is on a dicing table somewher in london claiming to be in his 70s... Isorai
grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Billion2612(m): 8:57am On Jul 13, 2017
Gobhanky:
I always knew he takes s.k.

Respect .
Buh no love.

And they said smokers are liable to die young but in his case, he is till bouncing at 83

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by ivolt: 9:00am On Jul 13, 2017
john4reala:
FOOLISH MAN!! You are a course to Nigeria, you formed a fraternity where they kill themselves like animal, Now you brainwashed so many Nigerians that buhari will transform Nigeria in a twinkle of an eye! Because of the level of your education and wiseness everyone trooped out and vote for the Nomadic man! The man has spent most of his times in London!

Sorry.
Please take heart

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 13, 2017
genkins:

Look at this one!you don't even know the difference between course and curse yet you call someone that has achieved 100times more what your great grand father,grandfather, father, your stupid self and what you children will ever achieve 'foolish'.

Even if ur type was given two brains,can you beat this in your area of specialization?

1973: Honorary D.Litt, University of Leeds[49]
1973–74: Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, Cambridge
1983: Elected an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature[50]
1983: Anisfield-Wolf Book Award, United States
1986: Nobel Prize for Literature
1986: Agip Prize for Literature
1986: Commander of the Federal Republic, CFR.
1990: Benson Medal from Royal Society of Literature
1993: Honorary doctorate, Harvard University
2002: Honorary fellowship, SOAS[51]
2005: Honorary doctorate degree, Princeton University[52]
2005: Conferred with the chieftaincy title of the Akinlatun of Egbaland by the Oba Alake of the Egba clan of Yorubaland. Soyinka was made a tribal aristocrat with the right to use the Yoruba title Oloye.[53]
2009: Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award
2013: Anisfield-Wolf Book Award, Lifetime Achievement, United States[54]
2014: International Humanist Award[36][37]
Works
Sorry, none of your entire family went to high school...

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by GeneralOjukwu: 9:04am On Jul 13, 2017
john4reala:
grin grin ... no one will ban you!! product of a leaking Kondom! ... your type where giving birth in chemist shop ...

In English. ..please?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by 989900: 9:05am On Jul 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked

Let's not go there..
I think you have given me the next idea for my thread
The Nobel Prize was politically motivated and not based on pure talents.
I have read ALL of Wole Soyinka's works
And ALL of Chinua Achebe's works.

So trust me when I say what I say about who deserved that prize.
Chinua Achebe was not just a writer but a prophet.
He was not just an academic but a beacon of morality.
Chinua Achebe was in a world of his own, almost unrivalled.
This is a fact most respected foreign writers believe and won't dispute.

I am just glad we are blessed to have both of them, awards are awards -- someone would always get them -- doesn't necessarily mean others were/are poor . . . it's not exactly a 100m dash race.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 13, 2017
Billyonaire:

Ponder on this. Medical Marijuana according the medical journals are used to treat stress related ailments etc.

I do not want to bother about any other advantages from medical sciences, but if anything can reduce stress and make anyone sleep better, it therefore means, it is pro-life. Stress is the number killer today. So, if something can help reduce stress, I think we can say it supports life and living.
The medical use of marijuana is a controversial issue, even among experts.

While the drug makes people feel "high" and more relaxed when taken, its mind-altering effects on consumers make it dangerous to health. Experts have listed short-term effects of marijuana to include altering of the senses; time distortion; impaired thinking, judgement, coordination and memory; paranoia or anxiety (in some people), etc.

Also known as a psychoactive drug, marijuana can cause (short-term) physical effects such as dry mouth, slurred speech, increased heart rate and bloodshot eyes.

Long-term effects of smoking the drug include irritation of the lungs, breathing problems like cough, excess mucus, bronchitis, etc.

Some health practitioners believe smoking marijuana could increase the risk of developing lung cancer.

Pregnant women, who smoke marijuana, could harm the brain development of their child unknowingly.

The biggest health risks from the nasal inhalation of this drug seem to be in those people, who start using it as teenagers or as young adults when their brains have not fully developed.

"In youths who use heavily, studies have shown deterioration in their learning and cognitive thinking that persists into adulthood, even after they have stopped using marijuana." (Harvard University health blog)

In the light of these harmful effects of marijuana, I am of the opinion its risks far outweigh the benefits.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 9:07am On Jul 13, 2017
My role model. It was because of my Prof that I decided that I must trace my root. I knew I was Nigerian. I knew I was Yoruba. I love and respect you, Sir. The greatest writer out of Africa. The only black man to have won the Nobel Prize in Literature. A deserving award which is only disputed by misinformed idiots who think it is all about sentiment and tribe.

Happy Birthday, Prof.

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by ipodstinks: 9:10am On Jul 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked

Let's not go there..
I think you have given me the next idea for my thread
The Nobel Prize was politically motivated and not based on pure talents.
I have read ALL of Wole Soyinka's works
And ALL of Chinua Achebe's works.

So trust me when I say what I say about who deserved that prize.
Chinua Achebe was not just a writer but a prophet.
He was not just an academic but a beacon of morality.
Chinua Achebe was in a world of his own, almost unrivalled.
This is a fact most respected foreign writers believe and won't dispute.
Believe you when you say what you say? Who be you. You read wole and achebe books but I did not read it abi? Or those that gave Soyinka did not read it abi. Sorry about your predicament.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 9:10am On Jul 13, 2017
Limitless72:

Bros no ves I wan ask one question Which sch u bin go?...
grace nursery and primary school
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 13, 2017
That's cigar
Billyonaire:
Is that not MARIJUANA that I am seeing in his hand ? Is that a Secret to Long Life ?

Are you guys pondering what I am pondering ?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by tonzo(m): 9:10am On Jul 13, 2017
ahoy my captain. sail on my sea lord
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 9:13am On Jul 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked

I concur...

Just do the same research on Chinua Achebe.
Then you'd understand the word 'genius'.

Soyinka is good, but he doesn't measure up with Chinua Achebe.
Only that he is a writer as well.

Stop with this display of illiteracy. List the novels of Achebe and state how they are greater than even works by Ekwensi. You people think intelligence is writing storybooks. If the Nobel Prize is given based on how popular your book is, then Stephen King and JK Rowling should be winning it every year.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by lollyheart: 9:16am On Jul 13, 2017
john4reala:
FOOLISH MAN!! You are a course to Nigeria, you formed a fraternity where they kill themselves like animal, Now you brainwashed so many Nigerians that buhari will transform Nigeria in a twinkle of an eye! Because of the level of your education and wiseness everyone trooped out and vote for the Nomadic man! The man has spent most of his times in London!
you are so dumb
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 9:16am On Jul 13, 2017
Irigiopoppo, happy fob to cbt 05, oirad 2 your rugged lluks.... Awua Palacios

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Ulomoney(f): 9:16am On Jul 13, 2017
I keep wondering. Has he torn his American passport?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 9:18am On Jul 13, 2017
tonzo:
lobber, where u see sea lord
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by starman4t(m): 9:18am On Jul 13, 2017
Happy birthday sir. Living legendary
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by ehissi(m): 9:19am On Jul 13, 2017
For their mind this man senior Buhari ba....... undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by LordOfNaira: 9:19am On Jul 13, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:

I actually did this research on Achebe, Ojukwu and Soyinka.

This is how I rate them :

1. Soyinka
2. Ojukwu
3. Achebe

in descending order in terms of eloquence and thought process.

Would read more Achebe books to form an opinion about literal ability.

Maybe I don't like poetry but I wasn't impressed by The Lion and the Jewel of Soyinka. Ake however was a great read.

That is what the Nobel Prize considers. They give it to books that are deep. That is why Patrick Modiano, whose subject matter is memory, could win it because his books are superior works of art. The wise men in the Nobel Committee cannot be expected to consider Achebe whose works read like regular storybooks. The question I keep on asking you people is: how many books by other Nobel Prize winners in Literature have you read? You can't be making judgement based on ignorance.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by facelessangel: 9:25am On Jul 13, 2017
Ahoy to you, my capoon blood of turtuga.
You have sailed on roughest tides
Never wrecked your ship.
Saily on
ODAS ""S"" ODAS
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 9:25am On Jul 13, 2017
banmee:

Seriously? Guy, Nigerians with their penchant for evil turned what is normal and good and made it diabolical. Fraternities are meant to be something of pride in normal societies but not in Nigeria. Soyinka thought he was dealing with sane human beings when he introduced it not knowing Nigerians would twist it.
the ideology of sea dogs showing the 7 point blade are widely accepted worldwide, we Nigerians are sick fuckards that twist good things for the bad.... O is O...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 9:26am On Jul 13, 2017
facelessangel:
Ahoy to you, my capoon blood of turtuga.
You have sailed on roughest tides
Never wrecked your ship.
Saily on
ODAS ""S"" ODAS
irigiopoppo
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Limitless72(m): 9:26am On Jul 13, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:
grace nursery and primary school

Lol...
No wonder ooooooo!
I bin hear sey dem no get teachers
Sey nah cleaners dey teach
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 9:27am On Jul 13, 2017
Ulomoney:
I keep wondering. Has he torn his American passport?
ask ur great grand dad ;dddddd
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Jerrypolo(m): 9:30am On Jul 13, 2017
Gets handsome with ãge
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked
I concur...
Just do the same research on Chinua Achebe. Then you'd understand the word 'genius'.
Soyinka is good, but he doesn't measure up with Chinua Achebe. Only that he is a writer as well.

I thought you no like Egede mengrin
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 13, 2017
john4reala:
He formed a fraternity like the ones obtainable in d west... He wasn't d one that told power hungry uchins to highjack it and turn it into what it is today! That fraternity was about academic class and brotherhood back in those days.. So blame d Nigerian factor and not him. No how, cultism go still enter 9ja

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by amdoyin82(m): 9:46am On Jul 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I on behalf of the Igbos on Nairaland
And the Indigenous People of Biafra wish the Prof a very happy birthday.

Even though we all know Chinua Achebe deserved that Nobel Prize in Literature and not you.
I still admire you.
Thanks for your literary works,
Thanks for your nonconformism
Thanks for the SeaDogs
Thanks for speaking up against oppression.

Happy birthday and many more years sir!
good that you wished the few respected country man a birthday wish. Buh u still bleeped up gan.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by StreetzHuztle: 9:46am On Jul 13, 2017
tonzo:

Who is this one?! undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today by TheAngry1: 9:46am On Jul 13, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I on behalf of the Igbos on Nairaland
And the Indigenous People of Biafra wish the Prof a very happy birthday.

Even though we all know Chinua Achebe deserved that Nobel Prize in Literature and not you.
I still admire you.
Thanks for your literary works,
Thanks for your nonconformism
Thanks for the SeaDogs
Thanks for speaking up against oppression.

Happy birthday and many more years sir!

Thank God the Nobel Prize was instituted and managed by an international organisation. If to say na Nigerian institution award that Nobel Prize, we for no hear word till Jesus come. Dem for say na marginalisation as usual. Wole Soyinka deserved it...go and hang yourself

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kumalo................supreme Confraternities / The Badboy Diary / Fiction Story / Siblings.............

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.