Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,349 members, 7,850,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:28 PM

What Kind Of Nigeria Do You See? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Kind Of Nigeria Do You See? (562 Views)

JUNE 12: Two-party System Is The Best For Nigeria. Do You Agree? / What a Senator Earns In Nigeria - Do Or Die Affair N 29 479 749 Per Year / Nigeria: Do We Have An Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Nigeria Do You See? by consultmartins(m): 4:26am On Feb 03, 2010
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is." - Proverbs

Sometime ago, a minister of information and communication in the person of professor Dora Akunyili embarked on a campaign tagged "Rebranding Nigeria." Though i appreciate her effort in trying to improve our brand and image to the outside world, i think she took the wrong approach. Rebranding Nigeria should start from the inside. It should start from Nigerians improving their self consciousness and self esteem. Rebranding Nigeria should start from Nigerians believing in themselves and their God given ability.

I am a Nigerian to the bone and i am proud of it. Nigeria is my fatherland and Imo state is my motherland. I am definitely not against the rebranding but i am against its approach. To buttress my point, let me ask the following questions: how many Nigerians can confidently recite the national anthem and pledge? How many Nigerians can boldly fly our colour and flag in a foreign land? How many Nigerians know the heroes that fought for our independence? How many Nigerians can hear the national anthem and stand still as a mark of patriotism? How many Nigerians can look at a neighbour and say "you are my brother or sister" irrespective of religion or tribe? How many Nigerians believe in Nigeria?

Having deviated a little, let’s go back to the question of the day. What kind of Nigeria do you see? If you take this question to the average Nigerian, you will come to understand why i asked the question. Most Nigerians see a Nigeria that is heading for doom. A Nigeria with dark clouds of impending danger. A Nigeria filled with economic problems, political instability, harsh government policies, ethnic and religious crisis. A Nigeria heading for disintegration. This view was even supported by international bodies which stated that Nigeria will disintegrate by 2015.

If you still take this question to our youths, you will discover that they have lost the Nigerian dream. If the government decides to offer our youths a one way ticket to the US, i bet that many will rush for it.

Now what kind of Nigeria do i see? I see a Nigeria blessed by God with human, mineral and natural resources. I see a Nigeria blessed with one of the best climate and soil in the world. I see a Nigeria filled with business and investment opportunities. I see a country that its citizens will be proud to fly her flag in a foreign land. I see a Nigeria that strikes positive fear in the international community.

I see a Nigeria that will rise out of nothingness to become an economic giant like China, India and UAE. I see a Nigeria where all tribes will sit and eat together on a round table. I see a Nigeria whose international passport will command respect. I see a Nigerian on the list of top ten richest people in the world. I see a mass return of Nigerians in Diaspora. I see Nigerians standing tall in the international community without feeling inferior. I see a Nigeria where youths will come to believe in themselves and their God given ability. I see a country led by God fearing servant leaders. I see a Nigerian market dominated by made in Nigeria products. I see a Nigeria where the export to import ratio will be 10:1. I see Nigeria as a better place.

You might say i am just being optimistic but i don't care what you think. All i can see is Nigeria being the centre of positive attraction. When it will be, i don't know but it must surely be. As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is.

Re: What Kind Of Nigeria Do You See? by consultmartins(m): 2:46am On Feb 05, 2010
I want to hear your own opinion.

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Suspend Ceasefire, Rep Urges Mend / A Question To Niger Delta / N.F.F: A Force Stronger Than M.E.N.D?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.