Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,918 members, 7,821,212 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs (1877 Views)

How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) / Please Help, Volvo Car And Toyota Corolla Which Would You Go For / Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by valarinz: 10:16am On Jul 14, 2017
Irv Gordon's secrets to topping 3 million miles in his Volvo(World record)

On Sept. 17, while traversing Alaska's Seward Highway, Irv Gordon drove his 1966 Volvo P1800 beyond 3 million miles.
It has been quite a journey for the 74-year-old Long Island native and retired teacher. Just before completion of the milestone, I had a chance to speak with him on the phone.
One wonders, why a Volvo P1800?
"It is a pretty car," said Gordon, a retired school teacher. "A friend showed me a photo in Road & Track in 1966. I fell in love with it. It cost $4,150, and I only had $4,200 to my name. I was broke."
Gordon bought the car new on a Friday and went back to the dealer the following Monday — already for its 1,500-mile service.

Gordon's 125-mile daily commute and dedication to proper maintenance enabled him to hit 500,000 miles in 1976. He celebrated a million miles in 1987 by circling Tavern on the Green in New York's Central Park.

In 1998, with 1.69 million miles, Gordon made the Guinness Book of World Records for most miles driven by a single owner of a noncommercial vehicle.

Two million miles rolled up during 2002.

Through all of those miles, Gordon experienced very little trouble.
"I've never had a scary experience; the car always did what I wanted it to do," Gordon said. "I've driven through ice, snow, took it to the mountains skiing. It's Swedish, loves snow.

"It was hit a number of times, usually in parking lots."
Common-sense maintenance
Gordon swears by regular oil changes, car washes, and genuine Volvo parts.

"Just follow the owner's manual," he said. "It's a piece of machinery and can't take care of itself. Have its scheduled maintenance completed. … Do what the manual calls for, not what the dealer calls for. People who built the car wrote the manual."
He shared a few other tips with Volvo. Use factory equipment parts and one brand of oil for consistency. Spend a few minutes a week checking fluid levels, belts and hoses.

"Use gasoline from a high-volume station to keep crud out of your engine," he advises. "It's also good to wash your car regularly and wax at least twice a year."

Perhaps the most important tip: "When your car makes a funny noise, listen to it." And develop a good relationship with your mechanic.

Volvo's future
Volvo has been giving Gordon a new car at each million-mile mark. But even after all of this mileage and attention, one thing won't change.
"I'll still be driving the P1800," Gordon said. "The car will probably make 4 million miles, but not me. I have become a fan of air-conditioning, electrical things and gadgets. New Volvos are fantastic. (Volvo) told me I could have any I want as long as it's red."

If he waits a couple of years, he can choose from a new lineup of Volvos. The V60 wagon debuts early in 2014 and the next-generation XC90 arrives within two years.

Source: http://www.indystar.com/story/money/2013/10/02/autos-irv-gordons-secrets-to-topping-3-million-miles-in-his-volvo/2908911/

NB : This was way back in 2013. Who thinks any other car can beat this record, as it's still going

Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by Ajewealth123(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2017
Qqq
Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by nurey(m): 10:42am On Jul 14, 2017
He must be bored to death driving that...that...that... thing around cheesy
Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by DaimlerBen(m): 12:19pm On Jul 14, 2017
nurey:
What would you now say about this guy?
[img]https://spydersden.files./2013/01/rolls-royce.png[/img]
Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by nurey(m): 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2017
DaimlerBen:

What would you now say about this guy?
[img]https://spydersden.files./2013/01/rolls-royce.png[/img]

thats why he is of a bygone era, he drove himself to death by boredom grin, his corpse should be exhumed and made to face the law cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by valarinz: 1:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
nurey:

Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 25, 2018
Volvo leads...others follow!

1 Like

Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by Xionez(m): 7:05pm On Mar 27, 2018
"Just follow the owner's manual," he said...lol

Tell that one to Oga Kazeem and Kazeem Jnr. They will look at you like..

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 28, 2018
I wonder how a user can maintain such consistency in this part of the world, I remember looking for specific atf and engine oil, and then they start bringing all sorts of oil palm and vegetable oil in packaged containers just like the original ones, and none of them matches the one the manufacturers specified which is been sold abroad, although it all boils down to finances, but let's face it, how many drivers can afford to order lubricants from abroad in the name of buying original. Ko easy mehn.
Re: The 3 Million Mile Car(2013), Irv Gordon Marks Drives Volvo Car For Over 47yrs by OgaKazeem(m): 12:00am On Mar 29, 2018
Xionez:
"Just follow the owner's manual," he said...lol

Tell that one to Oga Kazeem and Kazeem Jnr. They will look at you like..

e no go even bother talk anything...
na to comot d thermostat sure pass... as d motor no fit survive our weather

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help Concerning Honda Crosstour Drive Belt / Why Are There So Many Nigeria Used Toyota Corolla And Camry For Sale / Help! Car AC Smells

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.