Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,290 members, 7,860,685 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:18 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (394227 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Theebz: 12:38pm On Nov 21, 2017
Great thread bro,,God bless
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2017
Great thread Macky, reading you and blowjobs experiences has totally inspired me so I've decided I'm gonna leave Nigeria. I'm currently a computer science student with a 3.0 GPA I would be done by June or so. So I have some questions, do I have any chance for masters in Texas or do I have to first go for postgraduate studies here in Nigeria? I would be awaiting your reply.
CC MackyNaija
Blowjobs
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 4:41pm On Nov 21, 2017
MackyNaija:

Sorry, my post was incomplete - I wrote that in a hurry.
...I meant doing something like 'an internship like we do after getting an engineering degree'.
I understand a residency is like an internship like we do in engineering.

What I am saying is I haven't heard of a US establishment giving an international student with international certificate an opportunity to do residency.

If you come with an F1, you might have to first do some sort of additional school work b4 being eligible for 'an internship' (pardon my calling it internship).
Wow.
So I'll be better served coming for an MSc.
Afterwards I can now switch status.
Right?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by sonnie10: 5:27pm On Nov 21, 2017
Unlimited22:

Nah, an OD isn't an engineering degree.
I'm an eye doctor.
Usually, OD's in the US do a residency in a specialty of eye care after their 4 year OD program.
I'm asking about the possibility of coming with an F1 visa to join them, then changing status to H1-B from there.
NB- OD in Africa is a straight 6 year program while in the US its a four year program after 4 years of college.

What you should know is that for you to start OD in the US, you either must have had a first degree or spent about 3-4years taking pre-med courses. That would bring your total years of university education to 7- 8 years. Although, the actual course is 4 years just like Medicine. Now, compare that to the 6 years in Nigeria. Nobody gets into med school straight out of high school.

To answer your question on residency program. As a foreign degree holder, first you must pass the US board exam to go into any residency program. There are additional steps foreign degree holders are required to go through before they can apply for the board exams.

So to join them, you must have the same certification they have and not any equivalent.

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 5:28pm On Nov 21, 2017
MackyNaija:

Going thru my old posts and I saw this one...
I wrote the second exam today, see crying...

Different answers from different people cheesy I don't even know what to say about the prof. that is an expert at tumbling us but I feel my own answer is the correct one. grin
Waiting for the result, and I think I am still in contention for that 'A' grade.

Writing another one tomorrow....
People say schooling in yankee is easy - na lie! embarassed Wetin my eye don see for here no be play.

The semester is gradually drawing to an end and I cant wait! Thankful for the Thanksgiving Holiday from Wednesday (half day) to Sunday.

Abobi, we know say its easier to make a better grade in thr US than in naija. Writing exams every 3 weeks compared to writing one big load of maybe 7 courses of 4 month work no be beans.

Are you working full tkme or part time?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2017
sonnie10:

What you should know is that for you to start OD in the US, you either must have had a first degree or spent about 3-4years taking pre-med courses. That would bring your total years of university education to 7- 8 years. Although, the actual course is 4 years just like Medicine. Now, compare that to the 6 years in Nigeria. Nobody gets into med school straight out of high school.

To answer your question on residency program. As a foreign degree holder, first you must pass the US board exam to go into any residency program. There are additional steps foreign degree holders are required to go through before they can apply for the board exams.

So to join them, you must have the same certification they have and not any equivalent.
Thanks.
Board certification right?
And can you elucidate on the certain additional steps ?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by hammed71(m): 6:12pm On Nov 21, 2017
MackyNaija:

From my little understanding, the 'battle' is against a certain group that import WAEC certificate equivalent holders, call them skilled workers, give them a little 'training' and they are suddenly termed professionals in that field.

They are the ones that have issues with USCIS, those getting advanced degrees (not imported WAEC as my guy would call it grin) from American institutions of higher learning have little to worry about.
wait so a person with a degree from Nigeria can't apply for h1b and get accepted
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by sonnie10: 6:16pm On Nov 21, 2017
Unlimited22:

Thanks.
Board certification right?
And can you elucidate on the certain additional steps ?
Typically, you have to appply through any school that accepts international students. Your previous courses would be evaluated and a placement is made.There, you participate in clinical training for about two years or more.

You may want to look into New England School of Optometary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 12:21am On Nov 22, 2017
sonnie10:

Typically, you have to appply through any school that accepts international students. Your previous courses would be evaluated and a placement is made.There, you participate in clinical training for about two years or more.

You may want to look into New England School of Optometary
Thanks boss.
Actually did some digging, and discovered that one can't get licensed to practice without taking the NBEO exam, of which one of the prerequisites is a degree from an accredited college of Optometry.
I discovered that the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada offers an international bridging program for international grad OD's with admission based on rankings on a test called IGOEE.
Make I just dey grad dey gather my resources.
God MUST pick my call.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:23am On Nov 22, 2017
NeededGist:
Great thread Macky, reading you and blowjobs experiences has totally inspired me so I've decided I'm gonna leave Nigeria. I'm currently a computer science student with a 3.0 GPA I would be done by June or so. So I have some questions, do I have any chance for masters in Texas or do I have to first go for postgraduate studies here in Nigeria? I would be awaiting your reply.
CC MackyNaija
Blowjobs
Try to increase your GPA in the few time you have left so that over 4.0 (which is the US standard) you can have above 3.0.
Make your naija GPA around 3.3/5.0 though some schools accept 2.75/4.00 for direct masters. IT is very competitive in the US but you can make it.

sonnie10:

Thanks for the enlightenment. smiley
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:33am On Nov 22, 2017
orbis:

Abobi, we know say its easier to make a better grade in thr US than in naija. Writing exams every 3 weeks compared to writing one big load of maybe 7 courses of 4 month work no be beans.

Are you working full tkme or part time?
If it is for comparison, don't bother - naija no follow grin

No job yet, I am hoping to get one by January.

hammed71:
wait so a person with a degree from Nigeria can't apply for h1b and get accepted
You can't, you need a work permit except you are recruited as an 'expatriate' and they file for one for you.

H1B is post F1 visa (student visa) program for us to gain work experience after getting a Yankee degree.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 6:35am On Nov 22, 2017
Unlimited22:

Thanks boss.
Actually did some digging, and discovered that one can't get licensed to practice without taking the NBEO exam, of which one of the prerequisites is a degree from an accredited college of Optometry.
I discovered that the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada offers an international bridging program for international grad OD's with admission based on rankings on a test called IGOEE.
God MUST pick my call.
Now you are doing your homework. Good luck man. wink

This will be a loooonnng holiday..
Enough time to rest.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by SlowlybtSurely: 6:54am On Nov 22, 2017
Unlimited22:

Thanks boss.
God MUST pick my call.

Did you also check to see that you can only participate in the bridging program if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? Visitors and students are not accepted.

Your best bet will be to finish your degree in Naija, get atleast two years of experience, apply for Masters in the US and challenge the part 1 and part 2 NBEO thereafter. I heard with some work experience, the 2 year studies at New England uni will be waived. Alternatively, you can apply for Canadian permanent residency with a few years of experience in Naija, then get over and do the Canadian bridging.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 10:14am On Nov 22, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Did you also check to see that you can only participate in the bridging program if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? Visitors and students are not accepted.

Your best bet will be to finish your degree in Naija, get atleast two years of experience, apply for Masters in the US and challenge the part 1 and part 2 NBEO thereafter. I heard with some work experience, the 2 year studies at New England uni will be waived. Alternatively, you can apply for Canadian permanent residency with a few years of experience in Naija, then get over and do the Canadian bridging.
How many years work experience?
Will the challenge of the NBEO come during or after the completion of the MSc?
Because like this that 2 year advanced standing program at New England seems like option A.
Modified : U of Waterloo is accredited in the USA, so an MSC from there can also enable me to sit for NBEO, right?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by tinnyailes(m): 9:17pm On Nov 23, 2017
MackyNaija:

Now you are doing your homework. Good luck man. wink

This will be a loooonnng holiday..
Enough time to rest.
Hii bruv pls I need your help with something very important you could reach me on whatsapp 08176812097 or mail me mmsremmurd@gmail.com
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by vitusbrad: 11:47am On Nov 26, 2017
can you help me with the script of people on nairaland who choose community college....really gonna appreciate. thk u
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:52pm On Nov 26, 2017
vitusbrad:
can you help me with the script of people on nairaland who choose community college....really gonna appreciate. thk u

There is no compilation for CC, you'll have to go through the entire transcript and pick out those for CC.

From records of people on that thread, Bsc from naija to Associate degree in Yankee isn't progression.
Visa interviewing officers don't like to hear that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:55pm On Nov 26, 2017
I bought a car over the weekend..

So lost as to how to start the process but will be updating as I progress with respect to Insurance, Vehicle inspection, and registration.

I have the Title and Bill of Sale already + an Application for Texas Certificate of Title. I got those from the seller.

Have a quiz tomorrow so I might not visit the Texas DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles).

17 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Dremca(m): 7:40pm On Nov 26, 2017
MackyNaija:
I bought a car over the weekend..

So lost as to how to start the process but will be updating as I progress with respect to Insurance, Vehicle inspection, and registration.

I have the Title and Bill of Sale already + an Application for Texas Certificate of Title. I got those from the seller.

Have a quiz tomorrow so I might not visit the Texas DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles).
what make, year and price
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:08pm On Nov 26, 2017
Dremca:
what make, year and price
cheesy Private question..

If you are asking to know what the average market value is, you can try craigslist, cargurus na for big men.

I had an 03 Camry XLE in Nigeria.
Bought an 05 Camry SE, a little upgrade. smiley
I am making progress no matter how little.

I still deh find hustle o. sad Even if it's buying and selling.

20 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheGrandChemist(m): 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2017
MackyNaija:

cheesy Private question..

If you are asking to know what the average market value is, you can try craigslist, cargurus na for big men.

I had an 03 Camry XLE in Nigeria.
Bought an 05 Camry SE, a little upgrade. smiley
I am making progress no matter how little.

I still deh find hustle o. sad Even if it's buying and selling.
Cute ride smiley
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:19pm On Nov 26, 2017
TheGrandChemist:

Cute ride smiley
Thanks man.. smiley

The car glitters, I went through a lot to get it.
Was almost giving up on the search.

Getting it registered is next, I need to get mobile as I cannot do much here without being able to easily move around. Make I explore this end of USA small.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheGrandChemist(m): 8:29pm On Nov 26, 2017
MackyNaija:

Thanks man.. smiley

The car glitters, I went through a lot to get it.
Was almost giving up on the search.

Getting it registered is next, I need to get mobile as I cannot do much here without being able to easily move around. Make I explore this end of USA small.
You're welcome. smiley
You're enjoying the USA already. Just keep prospering.

Wishing you the best smiley

7 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 8:34pm On Nov 26, 2017
TheGrandChemist:

You're welcome. smiley
You're enjoying the USA already. Just keep prospering.

Wishing you the best smiley
Enjoying?? grin

Maybe from January after I have a cgpa. For now, I cannot say I am - my garri for drinking is still remaining some and one lecturer is tumbling us.
I am not hungry yet though. tongue

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheGrandChemist(m): 8:41pm On Nov 26, 2017
MackyNaija:

Enjoying?? grin

Maybe from January after I have a cgpa. For now, I cannot say I am - my garri for drinking is still remaining some and one lecturer is tumbling us.
I am not hungry yet though. tongue
LoL. As long as you're a Naija breed, no shakes on your cgpa. I am cocksure that you're gonna get an awesome cgpa; Naija no dey carry last.
As per garri, is it really expensive to get over there?

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:55pm On Nov 26, 2017
I haven't tried buying here but it will not be normal.

It is sold in Houston, will get some before Spring semester resumes.

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Josh4wod: 9:26am On Nov 27, 2017
orbis:

The fear of akata is the beginning of wisdom. Those dude can do and undo. You dont even know d one who carry gun. I fear them pass police sef. Playing music high like them own d damn road
Don't we Christians among them?

Iamphill

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:08pm On Nov 27, 2017
Josh4wod:

Don't we have Christians among them?

Iamphill
It goes beyond their religion. There is a way a majority of them behave.

So far, I have made some progress concerning the registration -
I first searched for Vehicle Inspection locations in my area, found one and went there for the inspection but was told I needed to get insured first.

I proceeded to an insurance office to get a quote - $183 monthly shocked was the quote I was given - worse than quotes I got online between $120 - $150 monthly, I got a few $105 quotes too. Na like this we go deh deh??

I continued my search online and was able to get one through an agent for approx. $120 first payment then $67 monthly for 5 months. It is a 6 month contract. Still on it, sent my drivers license and car title and I am waiting for their reply.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2017
After Insurance, vehicle inspection will be next and should be less than $20.

Then I'll proceed to renew the registration and transfer car title to my name at the DMV.
Also, I am yet to pay the state tax for the car purchase - it should be 6.25% of the purchase price.

Payments will total around $500 from my calculation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Unlimited22: 10:14pm On Nov 27, 2017
MackyNaija, keep fuelling our hope.
We are coming.
MackyNaija:
After Insurance, vehicle inspection will be next and should be less than $20.

Then I'll proceed to renew the registration and transfer car title to my name at the DMV.
Also, I am yet to pay the state tax for the car purchase - it should be 6.25% of the purchase price.

Payments will total around $500 from my calculation.
We are coming!!!

2 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:19pm On Nov 27, 2017
Unlimited22:
MackyNaija, keep fuelling our hope.
We are coming.
We are coming!!!
Baba, delay no further.

Liberate yourself from that place!!!

9 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by willjoe: 10:27pm On Nov 27, 2017
MackyNaija:
Baba, delay no further.
Liberate yourself from that place!!!
bro, what up with CC

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (109) (Reply)

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.