Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! (1354 Views)

Nigeria's Day Of Freedom Is At The Door, Says Vp Osinbajo / Invictus Obi: Nigerians Drag Forbes, Atiku, Others For Promoting Fraudster / Kwara Freedom Is Unstoppable In 2019, Says Kwara Must Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 2:42am On Jul 18, 2017
As Nigeria is still a United country, it is illegal to promote the break-up of Nigeria and it can have serious legal consequences, especially for the management and Admin of Nairaland. For those who insist on promoting secession on Nairaland:

Ok, I have a fair and reasonable proposal regarding this matter.

The Nigerian Police are notoriously aggressive and oppressive; instances of false arrests have ceased to be headline news since the time of Fela.. undecided

Now, God Forbid, and considering that Nigeria is still a united Federal entity as we speak; suppose the Nigerian Police arrest or otherwise prosecute Nairaland for allowing the clamour for a divided Nigeria on Nairaland and there are court fees associated with NL's defence, how will that financial requirement be met?

Whereas, NL can lawfully and reasonably set out rules on the forum stating unequivocally that the forum does not support and will not condone the clamour for a broken Nigeria. See the reasoning?

I propose that NL should raise a N5-Million (Naira) "Miscellanous Legal Fund" for such potential eventualities; this fund will be mostly contributed to by those who are asking for the chance to make comments and promouncements that are capable of trigerring such Police intervention.

At the end of each year, we can have a draw/lottery of diffrent towns/cities/or state where any unspent funds can be distributed by feeding, clothing and taking care of the poor and needy, perhaps in local charities and orphanages etc

What do you all say?
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 3:49am On Jul 18, 2017
What are you talking about sef? Go to Poltics and the first tread you'll see is *Nairaland says no to seccessionists*. How else do you want the admin to make it clear to you that NL isn't in support? Besides, its in the rules that *You are responsible for whatever you post on NL...

''5million legal fund'' ''At the end of each year'' ''draw,lottery... Lol this guy is just too funny!

2 Likes

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 4:27am On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
What are you talking about sef? Go to Poltics and the first tread you'll see is *Nairaland says no to seccessionists*. How else do you want the admin to make it clear to you that NL isn't in support? Besides, its in the rules that *You are responsible for whatever you post on NL...

''5million legal fund'' ''At the end of each year'' ''draw,lottery... Lol this guy is just too funny!

I hear you, but you and I know that when Naija MOPOL hold you for belt, they will not let go simply because of a single-line disclaimer that says the author is responsible for his comments or posts.

The best way for those willing to put their money where their mouth is will be for them to "fund" any potential legal bills or to go to other websites that naturally promotes cessessionist causes.

Yes, by having a draw at the end of each year, we will be engaging in another unifying activity and the poor people in a different part of the United Nigeria will be helped each year.

Peace
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 4:59am On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

I hear you, but you and I know that when Naija MOPOL hold you for belt, they will not let go simply because of a single-line disclaimer that says the author is responsible for his comments or posts.

The best way for those willing to put their money where their mouth is will be for them to "fund" any potential legal bills or to go to other websites that naturally promotes cessessionist causes.

Yes, by having a draw at the end of each year, we will be engaging in another unifying activity and the poor people in a different part of the United Nigeria will be helped each year.

Peace
And asking people to pay money for them to be able to support seccession, are you not encouraging it that way? You want to collect money from people for you to allow them support break-up? So you'll ask people for money before they are allowed to commit crime? Lol.My friend that is when you'll be in big trouble.
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 10:46am On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
And asking people to pay money for them to be able to support seccession, are you not encouraging it that way? You want to collect money from people for you to allow them support break-up? So you'll ask people for money before they are allowed to commit crime? Lol.My friend that is when you'll be in big trouble.

No, I think you have absolutely misconstrued my point and my reasoning; I am not asking people to pay money to me nor am I encouraging people to commit crimes after paying something.

What I have stated is that for those who are claiming that Nairaland Admin is denying them the freedom of opinion and freedom of expression, there is a potential legal consequences for allowing their "opinions/expressions" on Nairaland and I have only suggested a means of addressing that particular obstacle. Of course it is only a suggestion, I never supported cessession nor did I encourage it, I just reminded people that there are legal consequences and I suggested a method of meeting the requirements of that potential legal conequences.

Your alternative ideas are welcome if you hve n alternative ssuggetsion for dealing with any potential legl matters that arise; but unless people are willing to discuss and suggest options for dealing with any potential legal challenge, I think they just need to either accept Nairaland rules or go to other websites where their cessesionist causes are celebrated.

Many Thanks
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 12:04pm On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:

Moreover, the clamour for cessession would not 'legally' be a crime, rather it is an offence, a very serious offence against the state of Nigeria.
There is a legal difference between a crime and an offence, (maybe it's worth a google); Crimes are committed against a person directly affecting that person (Victim), whereas offences do not have to meet that threshold. Offences are victimless 'crimes' e.g, parking violations, littering, etc

Therefore, I am not asking people to pay to commit a "crime", I am simply asking for people to literally pay the legal costs of any potential government action that may be taken against Nairaland as a result of people allegedly exercising their "rights to freedom of opinion and expression" which the Nigerian State may consider to be a contumelious and lugubrious Federal Offence.

Hence the title of my post above re: "Freedom is Free but not FREE!" (That is, It's free to chat what you want, but it's not free to pay for the legal consequnces re: lawyers fees, bail money etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856KLlyN2_8

Peace
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 1:02pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

Moreover, the clamour for cessession would not 'legally' be a crime, rather it is an offence, a very serious offence against the state of Nigeria.
There is a legal difference between a crime and an offence, (maybe it's worth a google); Crimes are committed against a person directly affecting that person (Victim), whereas offences do not have to meet that threshold. Offences are victimless 'crimes' e.g, parking violations, littering, etc

Therefore, I am not asking people to pay to commit a "crime", I am simply asking for people to literally pay the legal costs of any potential government action that may be taken against Nairaland as a result of people allegedly exercising their "rights to freedom of opinion and expression" which the Nigerian State may consider to be a contumelious and lugubrious Federal Offence.

Hence the title of my post above re: "Freedom is Free but not FREE!" (That is, It's free to chat what you want, but it's not free to pay for the legal consequnces re: lawyers fees, bail money etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856KLlyN2_8

Peace
Whether it is ''offence' or ''crime'' thats not the bone of contention here. The nucleus of my argument here is alowing people to ''pay'' for what you know will potentially land them in the law court. That is ''aiding and abeting''
Again, my argument is; you know something might cause people to face the law, yet you want them to ''pay'' in advance. Its like the police collecting money from armed robbers and then allowing them to rob innocent people. Is this rational?
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 1:17pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

No, I think you have absolutely misconstrued my point and my reasoning; I am not asking people to pay money to me nor am I encouraging people to commit crimes after paying something.

What I have stated is that for those who are claiming that Nairaland Admin is denying them the freedom of opinion and freedom of expression, there is a potential legal consequences for allowing their "opinions/expressions" on Nairaland and I have only suggested a means of addressing that particular obstacle. Of course it is only a suggestion, I never supported cessession nor did I encourage it, I just reminded people that there are legal consequences and I suggested a method of meeting the requirements of that potential legal conequences.

Your alternative ideas are welcome if you hve n alternative ssuggetsion for dealing with any potential legl matters that arise; but unless people are willing to discuss and suggest options for dealing with any potential legal challenge, I think they just need to either accept Nairaland rules or go to other websites where their cessesionist causes are celebrated.

Many Thanks
Yeah no problem. But my point is that there's no reason for the admin to bring up money issue, lest they run the risk inviting the EFCC under their roof. Many people still clamour and shout 'biafra'' on NL threads but they know that they are responsible for whatever they post (just scroll down to the butom of this page, then you will see it clearly written there).

This is the essence of DISCLAIMERS. When you go to banks, most public places, shopping malls etc, you see a bold sign that VEHICLES/GOODS ARE PARKED/KEPT AT OWNERS' RISK. This is just a typical example of what the admin has done here and thats the basis of my argument that requesting for money will be a monumental fraud. Those banks or shopping malls never ask you to pay before you park your car or keep your goods, so that if it is stolen there'll be money for legal battle to prosecute suspects. Rather they warn you beforehand and I think Disclaimers are recognised by Law. I never misconstrute you at all. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by jiangchu: 1:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu i guess you are an almajiri graduate of law. there is freedom of speech in our constitution. the Ibos that are clamouring for secession are excercising thier right of self-dertermination.

NB: use your legal advise to educate your brothers

1 Like

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 1:41pm On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
Whether it is ''offence' or ''crime'' thats not the bone of contention here. The nucleus of my argument here is alowing people to ''pay'' for what you know will potentially land them in the law court. That is ''aiding and abeting''
Again, my argument is; you know something might cause people to face the law, yet you want them to ''pay'' in advance. Its like the police collecting money from armed robbers and then allowing them to rob innocent people. Is this rational?

No. And once again you have misunderstood my answers, perhaps deliberately, or by accident.

The aiding and abetting argument will not hold because there is a disclaimer that Nairaland does not support or tolerate cessesionist posts
Let me give an example of the context of the "Legal fund". Please follow me...

Say, I am an Adult and I run a nice cool hotel, my customers cause a nuisance to the community by parking their (customer's) vehicles discourteously and this has caused the local authority to threaten to fine and legally seek financial penalties against my hotel due to the afore mentioned nuisance parking.

Whereas the customers parking stupidly are adults who are capable of being responsible for their own actions and reserve the rights to free will; do take note that action is being directed (not at the customers) but at the hotel management!

Now, I have a disclaimer in Bold letters at the front of my hotel stating clearly, and unambigously that NUISANCE PARKING IS NOT ALLOWED HERE! I see nothing wrong in me writing to my customers to say that should any customers insist on parking discourteously (by claiming to be an adult and exercising his right to free will) despite repeated warnings to be civil with regards to parking at the hotel; I urge such fellow to pay into a "Legal Fund" to provide the Hotel with funds to address any potentially related legal battles as a result of the customer/contributor's conduct.

The above action will NOT mean that I am aiding an abetting nuisance parking in the community; to the contrary, it will mean that I am effectively tackling nuisance parking, because I doubt if any person will be willing to pay in that regard. It is meant to dissuade people from relying on the the "I am an adult and have free rights to say and do what I want" argument. Human nature dictates that people like items that are "free", cost-free, nothing to pay etc The reasoning goes that such people desperately needing to discuss Nigeria's break up (against the provisions of the constitution) will be more likely to go to other "free" platforms where their aspirations can be met without hitting them in the pocket! cool

Yes, you can say and do what you want, but it may have consequences, not only for you but also for the platform (Nairaland) where you have irresponsibly exercised that your right. The main question is this, whilst you are capable of defending your own side of the battle e.g, Police arrest, who will pay the legal and financial cost of the battles by the govt/Police against the platform that you have used to cause the problems? That's the question.

Only a selfish and irresponsible person will say:

"Yeah, I wanna come on Nairaland and say what I want....and I don't care how Nairaland deals with the aftermath of my conduct, e.g, Govt sensor on Nairaland, arrest of admin etc"

And, it may be better for such a person not to be on NL in the first place, it will be great for all concerned.

Peace
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 1:58pm On Jul 18, 2017
jiangchu:
Tampinu i guess you are an almajiri graduate of law. there is freedom of speech in our constitution. the Ibos that are clamouring for secession are excercising thier right of self-dertermination.

NB: use your legal advise to educate your brothers

Thanks, I have taken on board your reasoning.

Please answer this question.

If Nairaland should allow people to discuss secessionist ideas on Nairaland as a platform, and the Nigerian Police sensor or ban Nairaland for aiding and abetting a break up of Nigeria; who will pay the legal costs and make the personal sacrifices to clear Nairaland who had (in the process of allowing people free speech and freedom of expression/opinion) violated the constitution of Nigeria re: Secession?

How much will you pay towards Nairaland's costs in that regard? Or will you simply continue to type your thoughts whilst hiding behind a computer screen?

I await your answers
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 2:36pm On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
Yeah no problem. But my point is that there's no reason for the admin to bring up money issue, lest they run the risk inviting the EFCC under their roof. Many people still clamour and shout 'biafra'' on NL threads but they know that they are responsible for whatever they post (just scroll down to the butom of this page, then you will see it clearly written there).

This is the essence of DISCLAIMERS. When you go to banks, most public places, shopping malls etc, you see a bold sign that VEHICLES/GOODS ARE PARKED/KEPT AT OWNERS' RISK. This is just a typical example of what the admin has done here and thats the basis of my argument that requesting for money will be a monumental fraud. Those banks or shopping malls never ask you to pay before you park your car or keep your goods, so that if it is stolen there'll be money for legal battle to prosecute suspects. Rather they warn you beforehand and I think Disclaimers are recognised by Law. I never misconstrute you at all. Shalom

THE ADMIN DID NOT BRING UP MONEY ISSUES!!!

It was my suggestion and its only a suggestion not an admin policy on NL

Please take note.

Peace
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by dubemnaija: 3:06pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mumu thread
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2017
[quote author=dubemnaija post=58582891]Mumu thread[/quote

Please let us know why discussions about freedom is mumu?
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by jiangchu: 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

Thanks, I have taken on board your reasoning.

Please answer this question.

If Nairaland should allow people to discuss secessionist ideas on Nairaland as a platform, and the Nigerian Police sensor or ban Nairaland for aiding and abetting a break up of Nigeria; who will pay the legal costs and make the personal sacrifices to clear Nairaland who had (in the process of allowing people free speech and freedom of expression/opinion) violated the constitution of Nigeria re: Secession?

How much will you pay towards Nairaland's costs in that regard? Or will you simply continue to type your thoughts whilst hiding behind a computer screen?

I await your answers

theere is no need debating with you go and report what you have seen here to the police.

seun is competent enough to defend his business in a court of law.

mind you the Ibos that want to live have genuine reasons for leaving. or are you afraid of the north being alone.

1 Like

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 3:17pm On Jul 18, 2017
jiangchu:

theere is no need debating with you go and report what you have seen here to the police.

seun is competent enough to defend his business in a court of law.

mind you the Ibos that want to live have genuine reasons for leaving. or are you afraid of the north being alone.

Look, I'm not sure why u are taking it so personal here. I have not said anything about me reporting anything to the Police.
Are you saying that Seun has enough funds to make a legal challenge against the Almighty Nigerian State machine? Are you asking Seun to spend his own money to fight legal battles created by certain people when Seun could have avoided that battle by refusing to tolerate these people's provocations in the first place?

I am Nigerian and very rarely do I identify which part I'm from, because it really doesn't matter as long as I am a Nigerian.
See, why can't you just happily go to a website where there are no restriction about what you can say or do? Everyone would be happy for it. grin
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 3:45pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:
As Nigeria is still a United country, it is illegal to promote the break-up of Nigeria and it can have serious legal consequences, especially for the managementa nd Admin of Nairaland. For those who insist on promoting cessession on Nairaland:

Ok, I have a fair and reasonable proposal regarding this matter.

The Nigerian Police are notoriously aggressive and oppressive; instances of false arrests have ceased to be headline news since the time of Fela..

Now, God Forbid, and considering that Nigeria is still a united Federal entity as we speak; suppose the Nigerian Police arrest or otherwise prosecute Seun/Nairaland for allowing the clamour for a divided Nigeria on Nairaland and there are court fees associated with Seun's defence, how will that financial requirement be met?

Whereas, Seun can lawfully and reasonably set out rules on the forum stating unequivocally that the forum does not support and will not condone the clamour for a broken Nigeria. See the reasoning?

I propose that Seun should raise a N5-Million (Naira) "Miscellanous Legal Fund" for such potential eventualities; this fund will be mostly contributed to by those who are asking for the chance to make comments and promouncements that are capable of trigerring such Police intervention.

At the end of each year, we can have a draw/lottery of diffrent towns/cities/or state where any unspent funds can be distributed by feeding, clothing and taking care of the poor and needy, perhaps in local charities and orphanages etc

What do you all say?

Despite several hours passing on a website with millions of members; As we have not witnessed a single NL member offer to contribute to the "Legal Fund" it simply means that the suggestion has achieved the desired effect. Which is to ensure that people follow their natural instincts and inclinations to pursue and obtain items that are "free" by going to other websites where their aspirations can be achieved "free" of charge. wink

I guess it means that many people have understood that NL refusing to tolerate a clamour for Nigeria's break up is not a selective decision to favour one tribe or section of Nigeria against another.
Rather, it is a practical solution to a real and practical problem (that is, the likelihood of legal implications for tolerating secessionist talks on NL).

It's amazing how people, especially Nigerians, love anything "Free".

Awoof dey run belle o! grin
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by jiangchu: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

Look, I'm not sure why u are taking it so personal here. I have not said anything about me reporting anything to the Police.
Are you saying that Seun has enough funds to make a legal challenge against the Almighty Nigerian State machine? Are you asking Seun to spend his own money to fight legal battles created by certain people when Seun could have avoided that battle by refusing to tolerate these people's provocations in the first place?

I am Nigerian and very rarely do I identify which part I'm from, because it really doesn't matter as long as I am a Nigerian.
See, why can't you just happily go to a website where there are no restriction about what you can say or do? Everyone would be happy for it. grin

your opinion has been heard. we don't care what the authority will do.
closing nairaland will make the international community portray the ruling party in bad light.
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 4:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
jiangchu:

your opinion has been heard. we don't care what the authority will do.
closing nairaland will make the international community portray the ruling party in bad light.

I'm sure NL does care what the authorities do.

And closing NL would be a huge price to pay, knowing that one could have avoided closing NL if NL's rules have been enforced.

Seen?
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Agumbankembu: 5:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
Lunatics everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 8:13pm On Jul 18, 2017
Agumbankembu:
Lunatics everywhere.

Really? cool
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by dlondonbadboy: 8:33pm On Jul 18, 2017
Agumbankembu:
Lunatics everywhere.

Crase people wey dey 9ja dey increase everyday...

Chaii.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 8:37pm On Jul 18, 2017
dlondonbadboy:

Crase people wey dey 9ja dey increase everyday...

Chaii.
grin

Na so we see am o! grin
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 9:20pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

THE ADMIN DID NOT BRING UP MONEY ISSUES!!!

It was my suggestion and its only a suggestion not an admin policy on NL

Please take note.

Peace
Yes I never said the admin brought up money issues!!! I only referred to your suggestion that the admin should start charging people based on a comment.

Please read my posts and digest them rightly!!
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
Yes I never said the admin brought up money issues!!! I only referred to your suggestion that the admin should start charging people based on a comment.

Please read my posts and digest them rightly!!

Sorry I misread your comment, as I would have expected something along the lines of:
"There's no need for the SUGGESTION for the Admin to bring money issues" or "I don't agree with the view that Admin should bring money issues..." etc

Instead what I read was:

"Yeah no problem. But my point is that there's no reason for the admin to bring up money issue, lest they run the risk inviting the EFCC under their roof!. Which sounded to me as though you had concluded that the Admin brough money issues!

Over and above all these, I think I have done the right thing by equivocally stating that it was not Admin policy because if I can misread your comments, there may be others who could have misread it too. So my disclaimer was right in order.

With thanks...
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Gayigaskia(m): 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2017
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

Sorry I misread your comment, as I would have expected something along the lines of:
"There's no need for the SUGGESTION for the Admin to bring money issues" or "I don't agree with the view that Admin should bring money issues..." etc

Instead what I read was:

"Yeah no problem. But my point is that there's no reason for the admin to bring up money issue, lest they run the risk inviting the EFCC under their roof!. Which sounded to me as though you had concluded that the Admin brough money issues!

Over and above all these, I think I have done the right thing by unequivocally stating that it was not Admin policy because if I can misread your comments, there may be others who could have misread it too. So my disclaimer was right in order.

With thanks...

Having said that, such a move should not provoke the interference of the EFCC as there has not been any financial crimes/offences committed.

Discuss wink
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 9:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

No. And once again you have misunderstood my answers, perhaps deliberately, or by accident.

The aiding and abetting argument will not hold because there is a disclaimer that Nairaland does not support or tolerate cessesionist posts
Let me give an example of the context of the "Legal fund". Please follow me...

Say, I am an Adult and I run a nice cool hotel, my customers cause a nuisance to the community by parking their (customer's) vehicles discourteously and this has caused the local authority to threaten to fine and legally seek financial penalties against my hotel due to the afore mentioned nuisance parking.

Whereas the customers parking stupidly are adults who are capable of being responsible for their own actions and reserve the rights to free will; do take note that action is being directed (not at the customers) but at the hotel management!

Now, I have a disclaimer in Bold letters at the front of my hotel stating clearly, and unambigously that NUISANCE PARKING IS NOT ALLOWED HERE! I see nothing wrong in me writing to my customers to say that should any customers insist on parking discourteously (by claiming to be an adult and exercising his right to free will) despite repeated warnings to be civil with regards to parking at the hotel; I urge such fellow to pay into a "Legal Fund" to provide the Hotel with funds to address any potentially related legal battles as a result of the customer/contributor's conduct.

The above action will NOT mean that I am aiding an abetting nuisance parking in the community; to the contrary, it will mean that I am effectively tackling nuisance parking, because I doubt if any person will be willing to pay in that regard. It is meant to dissuade people from relying on the the "I am an adult and have free rights to say and do what I want" argument. Human nature dictates that people like items that are "free", cost-free, nothing to pay etc The reasoning goes that such people desperately needing to discuss Nigeria's break up (against the provisions of the constitution) will be more likely to go to other "free" platforms where their aspirations can be met without hitting them in the pocket! cool

Yes, you can say and do what you want, but it may have consequences, not only for you but also for the platform (Nairaland) where you have irresponsibly exercised that your right. The main question is this, whilst you are capable of defending your own side of the battle e.g, Police arrest, who will pay the legal and financial cost of the battles by the govt/Police against the platform that you have used to cause the problems? That's the question.

Only a selfish and irresponsible person will say:

"Yeah, I wanna come on Nairaland and say what I want....and I don't care how Nairaland deals with the aftermath of my conduct, e.g, Govt sensor on Nairaland, arrest of admin etc"

And, it may be better for such a person not to be on NL in the first place, it will be great for all concerned.

Peace
The example you gave doesnt correlate bro.

But let me quickly chip this in; NL has been existing for some time and the admin never deemed it fit to tow thesame line has your suggestion...do you think its propably because they never thought about what a ''bright'' idea it would be to start collecting this so-called ''legal fund''?? No! It is because it is highly non-existent! It can only exist in movies. LASTMA that charges for indiscriminate parking of vehicles are empowered to do that by the constitution of Lagos state.
Shalom.
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 9:45pm On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
The example you gave doesnt correlate bro.

But let me quickly chip this in; NL has been existing for some time and the admin never deemed it fit to tow thesame line has your suggestion...do you think its propably because they never thought about what a ''bright'' idea it would be to start collecting this so-called ''legal fund''?? No! It is because it is highly non-existent! It can only exist in movies. LASTMA that charges for indiscriminate parking of vehicles are empowered to do that by the constitution of Lagos state.
Shalom.

The example that I gave about the nuisance parking at the Hotel scenario is interchangeable with the NL stance on Secession, please follow me...
Hotel is NL
Nuisance customers claiming to exercise their rights to violate the constitution are "Secessionists" on NL.
Local authority threatening legal action against Hotel is Govt/Police potential legal action against NL re: Platform of secessionist chat etc

Why else do you think that there is no correlation?

I don't know why NL did not do this all the while but maybe because Biafra was not much of an issue until in recent years.
Please note that the fund is not mandatory or compulsory and of course as I said in an earlier post, the fact that almost 24 hours after the suggestion was made, no-one has offerred to contribute to the fund means that people have chosen to go to other "free" websites. grin

This is not to be compared with LASTMA it is not a must to pay to the fund and NL will be thankful if people opted to go to other "free" platforms to express their inherent and inalienable rights.

Peace
shocked
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by escodotman: 10:12pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tampinu:

Instead what I read was:

Over and above all these, I think I have done the right thing by equivocally stating that it was not Admin policy because if I can misread your comments, there may be others who could have misread it too. So my disclaimer was right in order.

With thanks...
No your disclaimer wasn't in order at all because you just based your response on a single comment. Anyone who had been following the previous comments wouldn't have thought I was refering to the admin requesting for money and I expected you to know better because you knew from the beginning. I cannot write what you ''expected'' because everybody cannot reason like you. Therefore, it is for you to read and understand every comment deeply, not forgetting to link each comment to the poster's previous comments beacuse the comments were a continuum, so it shouldn't have ''sounded'' to you the way you potrayed it. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by unohbethel(m): 10:14pm On Jul 18, 2017
@ op..ur mumu don do...u mean d police can sue nairaland because of biafra issue? ..i just dey laf at ur stupidity...wat about d vanguard newspaper and d daily sun newspapers dat carry news about d creat up of d country ? so dey wil be charged to court also? or dont u know dat most of d articles posted here are all culled from those newspapers? av u ever herd about free speech in d constitution? only d break up part dat u know..(am sorry 4 u)
Re: Promoting Secession On Nairaland..Freedom Is Free But Not FREE!!! by Tampinu(m): 10:20pm On Jul 18, 2017
escodotman:
No your disclaimer wasn't in order at all because you just based your response on a single comment. Anyone who had been following the previous comments wouldn't have thought I was refering to the admin requesting for money and I expected you to know better because you knew from the beginning. I cannot write what you ''expected'' because everybody cannot reason like you. Therefore, it is for you to read and understand every comment deeply, not forgetting to link each comment to the poster's previous comments beacuse the comments were a continuum, so it shouldn't have ''sounded'' to you the way you potrayed it. Thanks

I do take on board your reasonable points.
Once again, I apologise for misunderstanding your comments.

Best regards

(1) (2) (Reply)

Global Youth Forum Issues FG 48hrs Ultimatum To Arrest Nnamdi Kanu / LASG Unveils Iconic "Fish" Statue At Lekki- Epe T- Junction In Epe (photos) / Latest On Ozubulu Church Massacre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.