Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? (514 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Queen Iyayota Welcome Baby Boy / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Alaafin Of Oyo And Mojisola Welcome A Baby Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? by OLUWASEUNOJS(m): 11:40am On Jul 18, 2017
Over the time I have discovered the concurrent and persistence use of the English Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' to reply a gesture and reciprocate a great act.

However, I could not traced to any equivalent phrase in our dialects.

For instance, ``You Are Welcome'' In Yoruba Language means `` E ka a bo'' which could be equated with ``Thank You'' as projected by the English language.

*Language is culture and culture is Language*

My question is that why can't we be saying Thank You instead of ``You Are Welcome''.

Must we copy all the lifestyles of European countries

You contribution is most welcomed.

front page please.
Re: How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? by samwise99(m): 11:46am On Jul 18, 2017

Re: How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? by AngelicDamsel(f): 11:47am On Jul 18, 2017
Na we get English? Make the owners of the language add wetin dem like, our own na just to learn.. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Meanwhile

1 Like

Re: How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? by Acromial(m): 12:12pm On Jul 18, 2017
As far as I know, "you're welcome" is used to reply a "thank you" just like "No problem" and "don't sweat it"
Re: How Was The Phrase ``YOU ARE WELCOME'' Became An Appreciating Term? by Airoflaw(m): 12:28pm On Jul 18, 2017
you are welcome

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Dislike The Idea Of Old People/retirement Homes / Positivenaija Daily Quiz / Queen Of England And Her Ancestors Owns Her Vocabularies To You And Your Ancesto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.