Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (49439 Views)

5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gamesmart: 11:56pm On Jul 23, 2017
pato405:

My guy, you've said it all.

I was once in OPs shoes. I quickly dived abroad, only to get there found out that, it's not as green as people paint it o! I ran back but it was too late to go back to the job because I resigned before leaving. However, God was merciful and helped me to get another govt placement (without pushing any buttons). It's not been easy though but better than nothing. Lesson learned: sometimes, you dont value what you have until you lose it.

My advise: Op, you can travel out but don't resign your job! Take a study leave. In this way, you have a plan B: should you finish your schooling and oyibo man begins to play you the racist card.

What racist card?
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Gamesmart: 12:08am On Jul 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

First, I don't mean to discourage you but the thing about Canada is that their residency is easy to obtain but job prospects in the long run are quite very slim. The Canadian economy isn't as buoyant as that of the US.

Second, I must be honest with you you have a solid source of income going on for you and I would not recommend that you abandon your system all in the name of going abroad. There is a category of people I would recommend going abroad and those to not go abroad. Those who are very hard working but yet don't have anything to show for it in Nigeria and who also don't have any hopes of enjoying a middle-class lifestyle in Nigeria despite their efforts and toils, I recommend yes, go abroad if you can. Life abroad rewards hard working people with a middle-class lifestyle - a car, house, secure job, security, best of amenities etc. (all these are not free, you pay for them), however, for those who are entrepreneurial or have solid systems in place already going for them in Nigeria, it would be folly to pack up your systems all in the name of going abroad, because for every immigrant life abroad starts from scratch and you need about 3 to 5 years to catch up with others (financially, residency wise, educationally, credit wise etc.). For some people it may even take as long as 10 years, depending on how focused/determined you are. Whereas with the same 5 to 10 years ahead invested in Nigeria from where you currently are, you could expand your pharmaceutical business as you intend into a multi-million naira venture or expand through the pharmaceutical industry. In addition, you can always visit Canada, the US etc and stay as long as you want and enjoy the best of both worlds. At that point 5 to 10 years you'd be better off than your counterparts abroad in terms of how much income you get to keep in your pocket (less taxation in Nigeria). In case you don't know, taxes abroad are quite high and the federal government keeps a substantial amount of your earnings. For example, you earn the same amount as your friend abroad but you keep way more than they get to keep due to difference in taxation. My recommendation? You are doing very good already in Nigeria to fold up all in the name of going abroad only to start life all over and spend the next 3 to 5 or 10 years starting all over. Keep investing and expanding financially from where you stand right now and visit Canada/US/UK as many times as you want.

In the end, the decision is yours to make.

Best advice!

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Zeddicus2017(m): 11:17pm On Jul 25, 2017
sukkot:
what kind of business ?

email me "gabrieljackson15@yahoo.com or call me 070690643440 to get the details
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by DEBOLABI: 1:44pm On Jul 26, 2017
P[OUIU1GV
D=./p[967y23`x
osenidvdg:

You decided to come to this forum to show despite the fact that you know what to do.why cant you just keep ur head in this time people more qualified than you are jobles while some are under employed.I will advice you to quit the job for Canada but never come here for advice on the consequences of your decision.
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by lilreese: 10:06pm On Aug 01, 2017
Oga well don sir
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Ephetar: 7:07am On Sep 10, 2017
frank043:

I would have said I'm very dissappointed in you, If I know you well enough!

My brother, you don't have to gamble with your future, and that of the future of your unborn kids, I'd advise you to step out of this country ASAP! You need to forget about that crap of "who will fix the country if we all get out"

Yes, you are paid 500k monthly, but NOTHING assures you of that job. Yes, folks will say invest in business here in Nigeria, and I dare you to try it and see what the current state of this entity, NIGERIA will turn it into.

My humble advice to you...

All the best!

Thanks..... I have already taken my decision....
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by grandstar(m): 11:55pm On Jan 24, 2018
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

If you really want to optimise your trip to Canada, go for a Master's.

You are allowed to stay for 3 years after the Masters and work.

Why start all over again with a degree? Makes no sense at all.

Your 500k a month job too is fair. I don't see Buhari being re-elected so I predict a massive pick up in the economy from 2019 upwards.

In about 5 years, you could be commanding a salary of 1m or more a month which isn't bad

Anyway, wish you the best
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by akachianyim: 9:42am On Jan 25, 2018
Promo! Promo!! Promo!!!

Deslog energy is enriching knowledge and creating means for individuals to be ready for the next job opportunity with this unbeatable promo.

How it works, offer these three (3) courses for a ridiculous low price of N65,000!!!

1. HSE level 1, 2, 3
2. Project Management (PMBOK)
3. Quality Management System QMS ISO 9001: 2015

Are you surprised? Dont be, cuz deslog energy is committed to enrich knowledge and improve readiness for the next job opportunity.

This is an opportunity you won't want to miss...
Enquiry and participation, join the deslog energy whatsapp forum using this link: https:///FFpEUwoqNfX4vLTaM6RU3G

or

via this number: 07035612321

Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by austin4real(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2022
grandstar:

If you really want to optimise your trip to Canada, go for a Master's.

You are allowed to stay for 3 years after the Masters and work.

Why start all over again with a degree? Makes no sense at all.

Your 500k a month job too is fair. I don't see Buhari being re-elected so I predict a massive pick up in the economy from 2019 upwards.

In about 5 years, you could be commanding a salary of 1m or more a month which isn't bad

Anyway, wish you the best

Do you still share this same idealogy in 2022...
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by rien05(f): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
Have you heard of Nexford university?
It is an American University that offers 100% online degrees, notably MBA and BBA.
Tuition payment is monthly and enrolment starts at the beginning of every month.

A little birdie just whispered to me. Let me explain before telling you the secret. For Nigerians, FX payments can be really frustrating but Nexford always has a way of making life easy.

Many learners have been paying their tuition fees through Sterling Bank at a rate of 480 Naira to a Dollar. Right now, that is Gold.

Now, let's get back to what the little birdie said. If you enroll this December, you get to continue paying with 480 Naira as the exchange rate. Starting January 2023, this rate will be updated to 620 Naira to a dollar. Enroll now and save 30%.

Procrastination is the thief of time. Click the link below and fill out the form to get the course brochure, then proceed to your application. All can be done from the comfort of your smartphone.

Head on to Telegram and search "Nexford University Students (Blog)". Here, you can ask questions and get updates on the latest.

https://nexford.scaletrk.com/click?o=1&a=112
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by grandstar(m): 7:14pm On Dec 21, 2022
austin4real:

Do you still share this same idealogy in 2022...

No way! Japa if you can o! Buhari came back and finally wrecked the economy. It is totally down.

Please join the Great Japa!!!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by Oluwapresley(m): 11:43pm On Aug 22, 2023
Ephetar:
Hi nairalanders please I am currently about taking a decision regarding my future. I am a 26 years old single guy. I currently work in a company where I earn between 400-500k monthly( salary, allowance and personal hustling)... Now the issue is that I am contemplating on travelling to Canada to study pharmacy with the intention of staying there permanently after school or do a professional MBA here in Nigeria with the aim of growing through the ranks in the pharmaceutical industry. Please I need your contributions...

NB; cost of obtaining a pharmacy degree in Canada is about 10M...Should I invest the money in a business?

Coming back to ask; hope you japaed!!! 6 years after and the country is a mess!
Re: Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada by being(m): 2:16am On Aug 23, 2023
He did not
Oluwapresley:

Coming back to ask; hope you japaed!!! 6 years after and the country is a mess!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Working With The Big4, Your Experience. / Diamond Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Diamond Bank Pay Staff? / How A Wall Gecko Shattered My Relationship & Got Me Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.