Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,164 members, 7,842,345 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) (25083 Views)

NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April / NERC: Nigerians To Pay N36,000 And N67,000 For Electricity Meters / We Are No Longer Responsible For Electricity Meters - Discos Tell Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I can see you work for those DISCOS

Are DISCOS employing people? If you know...let them give me part time job, am available!

ON a more serious note, my mind on the power sector began changing in 2014....when I started following the news more closely on the issue.

TO cut a long story short....our power sector needs cash to grow. Cash govt does not have....which means we pay.

ALl those GSM we are enjoying. ......we used to pay high prices for slow internet, poor interconnectivity (recall how hard it was to call different networks at one time), poor services....while the GSM companies took our money and built a GSM network from scratch.

And that is why we privatized power. We need $300 billion.....to get to 24/7 light. And that money is going to come partly from our pockets.....or govt takes another loan that we will spend forever paying.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 24, 2017
They keep increasing electricity bill with no improvement in electricity. Nawa o!
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 7:25pm On Jul 24, 2017
murmee:
You have just narrated the bitter Truth. If 80 to 90% of Nigerians are metered, the Disco will be forced to sell light and that is what they don't want to do. If they can sell darkness and get away with it, why would they want to provide light. It is up to Nigerians themselves to resist the rip off by not paying estimated bills. It is as simple as that!

Bro I have taken time to study the corrupt business model and I found out they are actually in the business to sell darkness and not electricity , they only make sure the collect just enough electricity from the GENCOs just so customer will think there is hope some here and continue paying for darkness ...How can whole Egbin be complaining that EKO and Ikj discos rejected over 75percent of the electricity sent thier way and yet they will tell us stories... The Jos disco which is the best performing has given 80 percent of their customers prepaid meter and now every customer under Jos Disco enjoys and average of 22 hrs of light a day ( please if know anyone in Jos call and confirm)
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 7:26pm On Jul 24, 2017
9jakohai:

Are DISCOS employing people? If you know...let them give me part time job, am available!

ON a more serious note, my mind on the power sector began changing in 2014....when I started following the news more closely on the issue.

TO cut a long story short....our power sector needs cash to grow. Cash govt does not have....which means we pay.

ALl those GSM we are enjoying. ......we used to pay high prices for slow internet, poor interconnectivity (recall how hard it was to call different networks at one time), poor services....while the GSM companies took our money and built a GSM network from scratch.

And that is why we privatized power. We need $300 billion.....to get to 24/7 light. And that money is going to come partly from our pockets.....or govt takes another loan that we will spend forever paying.

If you don't work for the DISCOS then
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2017
Bubu has finished Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2017
ElSherriff:
Increase in tariff with no commensurate improvement in services is tantamount to rubbing salt to injury. Fashola even you? Give your approval and fall from your glory sir.

fashola has no glory, never had.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by ollyruffy: 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2017
APC has over-stayed its welcome. They need to be booted out like PDP.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by peterphd(m): 8:13pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Bro I have taken time to study the corrupt business model and I found out they are actually in the business to sell darkness and not electricity , they only make sure the collect just enough electricity from the GENCOs just so customer will think there is hope some here and continue paying for darkness ...How can whole Egbin be complaining that EKO and Ikj discos rejected over 75percent of the electricity sent thier way and yet they will tell us stories... The Jos disco which is the best performing has given 80 percent of their customers prepaid meter and now every customer under Jos Disco enjoys and average of 22 hrs of light a day ( please if know anyone in Jos call and confirm)

I don't live in jos but I can attest to the fact that the jos DISCO is really doing well. The only time power goes off here in my city is when it rains.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by AZeD1(m): 8:40pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

From your comment I have no doubt that you don't pay the electricity bills where you stay or you don't consume electricity because the last increment is even barely affordable for most Nigerians , with the last tariff I have to spend 20 a month despite that I got an average of 10 hours of light ..this month I will spend less because I only get just 3 hours of light now ...infact as I was typing light just came and I gather it's since yesterday it was taken
You want me to send you a copy of my last bill?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 8:41pm On Jul 24, 2017
AZeD1:

You want me to send you a copy of my last bill?

So why you come dey talk like person wey the thing no pinch cheesy
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by FabioPeter: 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2017
Since the hunter has learnt to shoot without missing, the birds have learnt to fly without perching.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by AZeD1(m): 8:48pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

So why you come dey talk like person wey the thing no pinch cheesy
If I get a pre paid meter, I can control my spending but with the current method, I pay whether I dey house or not and let's face the truth, this guys (electricity companies) have been shouting for tariff increase for a long time and they would get it.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 8:52pm On Jul 24, 2017
AZeD1:

If I get a pre paid meter, I can control my spending but with the current method, I pay whether I dey house or not and let's face the truth, this guys (electricity companies) have been shouting for tariff increase for a long time and they would get it.

But the last increase is not even upto a 18 months yet and it was a whooping 50 percent increase ..
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by FabioPeter: 8:59pm On Jul 24, 2017
I have roughly 10 hours of power/day. Current rate with BEDC is N32/KWH, it translates to #16,000/month. A good number of my neighbours don't pay at all and are unlikely to comply when the tariff is increased, they are relatively free from harassment.
My understanding of this indiscriminate increment is that to sustain current power supply, those who pay should bear the extra burden of those who don't.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by AZeD1(m): 9:06pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

But the last increase is not even upto a 18 months yet and it was a whooping 50 percent increase ..

I know but if you truly know the mess we are in as regards power, you'd know there increase is inevitable and there might be a yearly increase.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 9:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
AZeD1:

I know but if you truly know the mess we are in as regards power, you'd know there increase is inevitable and there might be a yearly increase.

Guy we are in no mess please ..The truth is that it's corruption that's going on and nothing else ..I have never seen where customers have to bear the cost of future solution first a private firm ...Don't be decieved they are only interested in selling darkness ..Are you aware that these same DiSCOs always reject 75 percent of the electricity sent to them by the GENCOs because they are not interested in selling it to their customers.. After the increase I will be back after a year to remind you OK
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by AZeD1(m): 9:30pm On Jul 24, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Guy we are in no mess please ..The truth is that it's corruption that's going on and nothing else ..I have never seen where customers have to bear the cost of future solution first a private firm ...Don't be decieved they are only interested in selling darkness ..Are you aware that these same DiSCOs always reject 75 percent of the electricity sent to them by the GENCOs because they are not interested in selling it to their customers.. After the increase I will be back after a year to remind you OK
Dude I know what's going on in the power sector, first hand information not newspaper report.
I'm not saying there's no corruption, but corruption aside, that sector is in a mess. A real mess.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by CioAngels(f): 10:01pm On Jul 24, 2017
The past and present leaders are the owners of the discos and are making sure the poor are frustrated for them to prosper. These are people who stole the country dry, yet, they are still not satisfied. Increase in tariff for darkness, fashola, one would have thought you have all ideas for everything not knowing you only seem to have excelled in lagos becos lagos is a cash cow and you also repaired all federal roads to make money from fg leaving all lagos roads with gutter potholes. Anyway, your increase in tariff means meter will be read and bill on what consumers used and not stealing from consumer by giving estimated billing or giving bill with consumption figure while previous and present reading is 0 0. You people are simply armed robbers. Our leaders are slowly killing the ordinary Nigerians as we are called by the thieves. God will judge you all.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 10:41pm On Jul 24, 2017
AZeD1:

Dude I know what's going on in the power sector, first hand information not newspaper report.
I'm not saying there's no corruption, but corruption aside, that sector is in a mess. A real mess.

What part is in a real mess ? Generation or Transmission? And can enumerate this mess since it's clear you work there now
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by SalamRushdie: 10:42pm On Jul 24, 2017
CioAngels:
The past and present leaders are the owners of the discos and are making sure the poor are frustrated for them to prosper. These are people who stole the country dry, yet, they are still not satisfied. Increase in tariff for darkness, fashola, one would have thought you have all ideas for everything not knowing you only seem to have excelled in lagos becos lagos is a cash cow and you also repaired all federal roads to make money from fg leaving all lagos roads with gutter potholes. Anyway, your increase in tariff means meter will be read and bill on what consumers used and not stealing from consumer by giving estimated billing or giving bill with consumption figure while previous and present reading is 0 0. You people are simply armed robbers. Our leaders are slowly killing the ordinary Nigerians as we are called by the thieves. God will judge you all.

Make no mistake he didn't excel in Lagos , he that couldn't complete a mere 35 kms of road even though the was a 35 billion naira budget and the road was tolled from almost 8 years ..
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by escapefromusa(f): 1:58am On Jul 25, 2017
StephDamielola:
KUKU KILL NIGERIANS.

SO ABUJA RESIDENTS ON R4 are going to pay that Shit?

GO TO HELL

grin rebel
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by AZeD1(m): 6:02am On Jul 25, 2017
SalamRushdie:

What part is in a real mess ? Generation or Transmission? And can enumerate this mess since it's clear you work there now
I don't work in the sector, but here's a brief issue

1) we don't generate enough
2) we have a poor transmission network
3) Distribution network is also poor.

South Africa generates 40k MW while Nigeria which has 3 times the population generates 5k MW.

We have the ability in theory to generate 11k MW but our transmission network can only handle 7k5 MW.
Remember the $16B OBJ spent on power? A majority of the money wasn't stolen as OBJ actually built power plants but they were built with politics in mind not economics so they were built in places without adequate gas infrastructure.

Our poor transmission network leads to loss, so a genco sends 100MW to the NCC, due to losses, only 90MW gets to NCC. The genco expects to be paid for 100MW but NCC only received 90MW.
NCC sends the 90MW to discos but only 80MW gets there. NCC expects money for 90MW but the discos would only pay for the 80MW they got. So there's a missing 20MW which has to be paid for but by who?

The question is do you expand the transmission network or rebuild the current network to make it more efficient?

If you build additional Power plants today, there wouldn't be a difference because the power can't be transmitted.

These are some of the issues and fixing this ones alone would cost more than the budget of the country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by jjjjj2017: 7:54am On Jul 25, 2017
9jakohai:

[s]Brought to you by GEJ Introducing privatization.

Even the laws allowing DISCOS to increase fees. Passed in 2014....long before Fashola even thought about becoming MIni-star.

YOu guys should have talked back in 2014...when Senate held an OPEN committee calling NIgerians to come and say whether they wanted privatisation or not[/s].
STFU & STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION!!!
Privatisation started during Obasanjo era changing the name from Nepa to PHCN, why don't we pay expensive fee for electricity during GEJ era?
If GEJ truly implement it, why can't Buhari government regulate it to something friendly?
Year Adua reduced pump price from what he inherited from OBJ, why can't Buhari follow such step?
Stop defensing this useless adminstration by blaming GEJ!
GEJ achievements surpass that of normadic cattle rearer Buhari!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 25, 2017
jjjjj2017:

STFU & STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION!!!
Privatisation started during Obasanjo era changing the name from Nepa to PHCN, why don't we pay expensive fee for electricity during GEJ era?
If GEJ truly implement it, why can't Buhari government regulate it to something friendly?
Year Adua reduced pump price from what he inherited from OBJ, why can't Buhari follow such step?
Stop defensing this useless adminstration by blaming GEJ!
GEJ achievements surpass that of normadic cattle rearer Buhari!

1.Language, son.
2.GEJ privatized the generation ASPECT of power and also allowed for the creation of DISCOS. PHCN was a govt run company.
3.The increases in bills for power were written into a law passed by the GEJ Govt in 2014 .....
4.BUhari cannot do anything about power sector reforms of GEJ without getting sued by the DISCOS and GENCOS.
5.Yaradua reduced pump prices because he had the money to do so...thanks to higher reveues from higher oil prices than anything Obasanjo ever had. GEJ sensibly tried to remove fuel subsidy in 2012....so that he could have extra cash for things like new refinereis....before you NIgerians complining forced him to cut back a bit.
BUhari cannot reduce fuel prices because thanks to the fall in oil prcies ($100 per barrel in 2013 to $50 now).....we no longer have the cash to do the subsidizing.
6.BY the way....I think DISCOS and GENCOS are a good idea.
7.I am apolitical. I also don't like lies.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) by GMBuhari: 7:44pm On Aug 19, 2017
9jakohai:

1.Language, son.
2.GEJ privatized the generation ASPECT of power and also allowed for the creation of DISCOS. PHCN was a govt run company.
3.The increases in bills for power were written into a law passed by the GEJ Govt in 2014 .....
4.BUhari cannot do anything about power sector reforms of GEJ without getting sued by the DISCOS and GENCOS.
5.Yaradua reduced pump prices because he had the money to do so...thanks to higher reveues from higher oil prices than anything Obasanjo ever had. GEJ sensibly tried to remove fuel subsidy in 2012....so that he could have extra cash for things like new refinereis....before you NIgerians complining forced him to cut back a bit.
BUhari cannot reduce fuel prices because thanks to the fall in oil prcies ($100 per barrel in 2013 to $50 now).....we no longer have the cash to do the subsidizing.
6.BY the way....I think DISCOS and GENCOS are a good idea.
7.I am apolitical. I also don't like lies.

It's $28/barrel now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Race For CBN Governor Heats Up / Reno Omokri Criticises Peter Obi's Supporters. / Garba Shehu: No DSS Advisory Before Buhari Warning Against Muslim-muslim Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.