Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,948 members, 7,835,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President (871 Views)

Jonathan Visits Late Yar’Adua’s Family & Emir Of Katsina During Rally (Photos) / Why FG Is Reluctant To Reduce Petrol Price / Odili: How Jonathan Displaced Me As Yar’adua’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by newmaster(m): 6:48am On Feb 07, 2010
Yar’Adua exposed! He was not a reluctant president

Written by Taiwo Adisa, Group Politics Editor

Contrary to the widespread insinuations that President Umaru Yar’Adua was a reluctant President when he assumed office in 2007, indications emerged that the man knew he was being touted for the exalted office one year before he assumed office.

Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the PDP, Chief Tony Anenih, was said to have gone to Katsina State to deliver a message from former President Olusegun Obasanjo, indicating that the Katsina governor was being considered for presidency.

The man did not turn down the offer, but he kept it to himself as demanded by Obasanjo.

He also did everything possible to convince Obasanjo and the PDP leaders that he was the best man for the job and that he was prepared for the tasks ahead. In order to douse speculations about his failing health, he challenged anyone who is fit to join him in a game of squash.

Besides, he has also imbibed the attitude of not wanting to hand over power to his deputy anytime he embarks on vacation.

A source said that some Northern elders are now angry with Yar’Adua for taking up a job his state of health cannot sustain.

It was gathered that the president had long known that he would be embarking on regular trips abroad for medical attention and that when a group of Northern elders advised him on the three best countries where his health can best be managed, he turned down the advice only to choose Saudi Arabia, where information about his state of health can be best concealed.

Said one of our sources: “The man, apparently knew long ago that he would come to this situation. In the early period of his administration, when his health situation became an issue for concern, a meeting was held at Aliyu Gusau’s house to find the way forward. Those at the meeting included a younger brother of the president, Alhaji Sani Zango Daura and Ben Obi.

“Our conclusion then was that Mr. President’s ailment can only be treated in the United States, Israel or Germany and it was decided that Gen. T.Y Danjuma should assist him. When three people, including his brother later met him to relay the outcome of the meeting, he rejected the idea but came up with the option of Saudi Arabia, which is not known for having any expertise in the field.

“It has now become clear that his main concern is how to conceal the details of the ailment and that is what he is assured of in Saudi, a closed country, information wise. Maybe, he felt that Western countries will not sustain the sort of secrecy guaranteed by Saudi Arabia.”

Turai bars Emirs
First Lady, Hajia Turai Yar’Adua had last week banned all visitors from Nigeria from having access to the ailing President Umaru Yar’Adua, who, today, is spending his 76th day outside the country.

Yar’Adua had travelled to Saudi Arabia on November 23, 2009 and has remained in that country ever since. He is being treated for acute pericarditis and cancer related ailments.

Information reaching the Sunday Tribune indicates that the First Lady is worried that most of her activities in Saudi got to the media back in Nigeria.

She was said to have reduced her calls to even her trusted friends in recent weeks, following suspicion that the calls have been leaking.

Though there were plans last week to return the President to the country, it was gathered that the ailing leader suffered a relapse in the early hours of Tuesday last week, prompting the decision to abide by the warnings of the medical experts, who had expressed concerns that the President may be unable to undertake a long-haul trip in his present condition.

Though the kitchen cabinet is yet to totally call off preparations for the President’s expected return, it was gathered that his condition has continue to go bad, prompting the First Lady to place a blanket ban on all callers from Nigeria.

, turns down top Northern monarchs, David Edevbie
Worried by the persistent leakages and the correctness of most publications on her husband’s condition back in Nigeria, the First Lady was said to have placed a blanket ban on all visitors from Nigeria.

The ban has so far claimed some top casualties. Sources said that the First Lady had last week flatly turned down a request from a top traditional ruler from the North, who planned to visit the president in Saudi Arabia to offer prayers.

It was gathered that the monarch had put calls through to the first Lady through his office but was told that the First Lady turned down the offer. When the monarch sought to directly speak with the first Lady and told her that in his position, and by sitting on the throne of his forbears, he has the power of prayers, it was gathered that the First Lady refused to budge.

A source said that the top monarch is the second of such Northern traditional rulers that would be turned down by the First Lady.

Another casualty of the blanket ban by Hajia Turai is the Principal Private Secretary to the President, Mr. David Edevbie, who has been told not to step into Saudi Arabia by the First Lady.

Sources disclosed that Edevbie, who received the Senate resolution on behalf of the President on January 31 had discussions with the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and top members of the kitchen cabinet before proceeding to Amsterdam, Netherlands.

It was gathered that the trip to Amsterdam was a decoy as the original destination is Saudi Arabia. The principal secretary was said to have journeyed to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from where he put a call through to Saudi.

Sources said that an enraged Hajia Turai ordered the private secretary back to Nigeria and insisted that he must not step onto Saudi soil.

“The woman threatened that he(Edevbie) would regret his life if he ever step into Saudi Arabia. The woman said that her ban affects all Nigerians, who may be seeking to see Yar’Adua.”

It was also gathered that Edevbie had planned to show the president the resolution of the Senate, which mandates him to transfer power to Vice president Goodluck Jonathan.

PDP Delegation in Limbo.
A delegation put together by the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) which plans to visit Saudi Arabia is also said to have been affected by Hajia Turai’s order.

Sources said that the delegation, which plans to leave the country on Sunday, today, is in limbo on discovery of the information regarding the president’s aide, who has been denied entry to Saudi.

A source said that two options are now left for the delegation; they either leave the country and embark on rigmarole or abandon the trip completely.

We won’t receive communication from VP-Senate.
One critical aspect of the battle to maintain the status quo in the presidency is the bid to dress vice president Goodluck Jonathan in presidential robes, without giving him the powers.

The kitchen cabinet, working in alliance with members of the NWC of the PDP had tried to cajole the Senate to start receiving communications from the vice president, since the courts have recognized him as performing the job of the president.

But notwithstanding the fact that the House of Representatives is playing along in the game, Senate’s opposition is vital, since only the Senate receive communication on appointments and only the upper chamber can confirm presidential appointments.

Last Wednesday, the Senators bluntly rejected the advice that they should start receiving communication from the Vice President, and insisted that the chamber can only do so after he has been decorated as acting president in line with constitutional provisions.

The push, which sailed through due to efforts of the National Interest Group (NIG) has now practically grounded the government as no new appointments can be made in the circumstance

http://www.nigeriannews.com/
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by safeact(m): 7:14am On Feb 07, 2010
Let d drama go on,4me i think its time 4 an impeachment process to proceed.excuse me dance.
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by jimmysho(m): 3:24pm On Feb 07, 2010
with the latest development. the guy seem to be a power hungry mumu
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by CyberG: 7:29pm On Feb 07, 2010
Hahaha. . .this baboon buffoon is long dead and gone to his 'grave'. . .yet he was grandstanding on squash? I challenged him to even just one game of squash and he declined! Liar, liar. . .now ON FIRE!

Didn't some mumus say this ignoble ignoramumu will return and live his days? (Paroh_Frey, Depilot, etc) Anywayz, na here we dey. . .we will see!
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by oderemo(m): 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2010
my blood boil each time i read such news . yar adull.
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by Kadejo(m): 8:53pm On Feb 07, 2010
but wait, dos yar adua thougt dat presidencial blongs to his father>s house. for him to handoveq to V.P jonathan?
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by blackmann(m): 11:18pm On Feb 07, 2010
safeact:

Let d drama go on,4me i think its time 4 an impeachment process to proceed.excuse me dance.

noticed u've really been emphasizing alot on this "scuse me dance" thingy. r u practicing ur words of an upcoming occassion grin?

@ topic i really feel the old man knows that his tym as president is over and really wants to hand over the reigns but those surrounding him are preventing him, coupled with the fact that his wife too is power drunk. u know yansh power is always the strongest when it comes to man and wife.
Re: Yar’adua Exposed! He Was Not A Reluctant President by Nobody: 6:57am On Feb 08, 2010
I cant wait for the nolly wood version of this drama. RMD must act as Goodluck, Patience or Clarion as Dora, Sani Muazu as yardua, Ali Nuhu as Taminu. Cant decide who will get the part of Turai yet

(1) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo Should Leave Imo State Alone / How They Are Raping Batelsa State Please Help Me / 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.