Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,676 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion (7509 Views)

Atheist John Steinruken - "Why Christianity Is Great" / Brilliant Quotes on Religion By Thomas Paine And Robert Ingersoll. / Would You Change Your Religion For Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 5:22pm On Jul 24, 2017
There are hundreds of religions and religious beliefs in practice in the world today. This shows that man, in general, has a deep-rooted desire to connect with God. People from all geographical regions and all ages of human existence have always believed in God or in gods as the case may be, and while this may not be scientific proof that God exists, it is a strong pointer to the fact that we, as a species are drawn by our capacity for intelligent thought, to the suggestion that there must be a God.

Logically, there must be a source for everything that we see in existence. Science and philosophy would argue that the source must be something explainable—some sort of scientific concept, which would explain how life and the universe came to be and would also explain the origin of the source itself. As of now, there is no such scientific explanation, but we can all agree that science and religion agree on one point, which is that there is a source from which life came, that is beyond current human understanding.

I personally choose to believe in God because it is hard to imagine any other explanation that, itself, would not raise further questions – incidentally, the same question scientists and doubters ask of the religious-minded: where did the source come from? Since something cannot logically come from nothing, this will continue to be a mystery. What is clear though, is that everything must have come from something. The answer clearly then, is that the source of life must be something or someone, that defies all human understanding of what is possible. Does this mean logic is wrong?

Our understanding of logic, appears to me to be the problem, and not logic itself. We tend to view logic as being an arithmetic process, a step by step approach to the inevitable answer, however, I believe logic can also be geometric, a sequence of computations that lead to an undefined, indefinite answer we like to call infinity. Understanding life and existence requires that we must apply the same thought process. In answering the question of where God came from and how God created the world, I submit it to you, that we are at the analogical point of infinity. Thus, logic does not at all preclude the existence of God.

The atheist at this point, smartly, would probably quip, “but even if you believe in God, which religion do you believe is true?” This presents a genuine logical challenge, but like all logical challenges, there is a logical approach to the answer. There are probably hundreds of religions, each one professing to be the correct and true way to God. Logic has it that if there is a God, and no two religions agree on how to worship Him, then either all of them are wrong and no one really knows about God, or one of them is right and all the others are wrong. This should make every religious person pause and seriously question themselves and their beliefs.

Contrary to what most people believe, faith and logic do not necessarily contradict. Quite on the contrary, I believe that God expects us all to apply some logic in our search for truth. For instance, it is written in Romans 1: 19-20:
‘because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shewn it to them. For since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse’

This verse of scripture points out that God expects people to make inferences about Him, by examining the things He has made (see the highlighted portion), and this calls upon our capacity for logical reasoning. Through the process of reason, certain assumptions can be made about God and His relationship with human beings.

First of all, we must believe that God wants humanity to relate with Him, and that if any religion is true, it must have been given to man directly by God. The second assumption that logically follows this is that if God gave man a religion to follow because He wanted us to connect with Him, and God existed before the creation of man, then He would have given mankind this religion (set of instructions for worship) right from the beginning. This logically tells me that any religion which does not logically trace its origin to the beginning of time cannot be the true way. Any religion which can point to a specific point in time along the timeline of human existence, as being the period when a particular person received a religion from God, then has to explain why God did not want the people before them to have this religion. Christianity, through Judaism, traces its origin all the way back to Adam and Eve, who are held to have been the first people created on earth.

Secondly, the human founder or human proponent of any religion must have been a perfect example of the principles of that religion. Being the point of contact and therefore, the focal point, to which people would make reference, it stands to reason that God would choose the best representative of His true religion to stand as an example to all the followers thereof. Therefore, a founder who had or has human failings cannot be considered a true representative of God and His true religion. This is an important consideration because while culture and science evolve, God must be perfect already, and therefore would stay constant. His representative therefore, must have acted in ways that remain morally acceptable beyond the scope of period of history to which he belonged. A leader whose actions today would be considered immoral cannot be thought of as being the true representative of God.

Thirdly, the true religion must make sense but only in a way that surpasses what, for the purposes of this article, we have come to understand as arithmetic logic. Anyone can come up with a set of rules for human living, and certainly this is a component of almost all religions. But if rules for human living were all that religion could provide then we wouldn’t need religion, since we already have laws that regulate human conduct. The true religion would have to offer an access route to God that is unique and yet beyond human understanding. This is simply because we have already established that God cannot be explained by arithmetic or linear logic, and we must think in terms of geometric logic or faith. Any religion that is based around understandable principles of human life therefore would appear to be a man-made effort to explain life and existence, instead of a God given answer. I insist that since God cannot be understood humanly, the route to God must include a solution which can be accepted as logical but humanly unexplainable.

Christianity is the only religion that is entirely built on a series of such beliefs. That Jesus was born of a virgin, and that He died and resurrected are all understandable in terms of why they had to happen that way. Jesus was God and man at the same time, therefore He could not come into this world through the union of a man and a woman, which would imply having an earthly father. It was also necessary for Him to die as a sacrifice, and to rise again, casting off the human form, in order for His followers to have a hope and a promise of a life that transcends human life. These beliefs can be understood in terms of the why; but in terms of the how, there is no human explanation. We are again at the analogical point of infinity. It is important at this point to observe that the characteristics of true religion must be consistent with the characteristics of God, and if God can only be understood by faith then true religion can only be accepted by faith, and any religion whose principles can be explained in arithmetic logic must be considered too restrictive to be true.

The authenticity of the testimony of the earliest witnesses of Christianity is the fourth reason why I am compelled to believe in Christianity. The scale on which Jesus’s closest disciples were martyred is staggering and points strongly to the deep belief these men must have had, that they were doing the right thing. All 12 of Jesus’s closest disciples (also referred to as the apostles), were tortured and killed, or imprisoned for their belief in him. If those who actually met the man Jesus and lived with him, were willing to die rather than recant, it suggest to me that their testimony is authentic. In a court of law and probably, in most parts of our society, testimony from witnesses is considered to be very important evidence. More so when it appears that the witnesses themselves have relied upon this evidence to the point that it cost them their lives.
When viewed in perspective, Christianity is the religion that clearly demonstrates a link with God from the beginning of time, transcends logical understanding of life to offer a peek into the spiritual world and has as its paragon, a spiritual leader whose life, was from beginning to end, a perfect example for his followers, who themselves preferred to die rather than deny his lordship. This is why Christianity is the only religion for me.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 5:54pm On Jul 24, 2017
I particularly invite comments from atheists and logical thinkers...
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by RosaConsidine: 8:06pm On Jul 24, 2017
Working on the premise that everything comes from something, how do we connect the dots from this nebulous something to our Christian God, especially when you consider the fact that all other religions have their own connections to this "something or someone" and temporarily discounting opinions that it is something immaterial or without character or personality?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by RosaConsidine: 8:10pm On Jul 24, 2017
Also, through the ages, we've witnessed in other religions people dying for their god, sacrificing their children and sometimes themselves to their god and giving up everything they own to their god so it is not peculiar to our Christian faith. Even today, people blow themselves up in the name of their god. What makes the sacrifices of these people any less than what our apostles and martyrs did in times past?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 24, 2017
Interesting. Not particularly interested in a lengthy discussion but I will be following.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by ScepticalPyrrho: 8:43pm On Jul 24, 2017
SmartyPants:
There are hundreds of religions and religious beliefs in practice in the world today. This shows that man, in general, has a deep-rooted desire to connect with God. People from all geographical regions and all ages of human existence have always believed in God or in gods as the case may be, and while this may not be scientific proof that God exists, it is a strong pointer to the fact that we, as a species are drawn by our capacity for intelligent thought, to the suggestion that there must be a God.

Logically, there must be a source for everything that we see in existence. Science and philosophy would argue that the source must be something explainable—some sort of scientific concept, which would explain how life and the universe came to be and would also explain the origin of the source itself. As of now, there is no such scientific explanation, but we can all agree that science and religion agree on one point, which is that there is a source from which life came, that is beyond current human understanding.

I personally choose to believe in God because it is hard to imagine any other explanation that, itself, would not raise further questions – incidentally, the same question scientists and doubters ask of the religious-minded: where did the source come from? Since something cannot logically come from nothing, this will continue to be a mystery. What is clear though, is that everything must have come from something. The answer clearly then, is that the source of life must be something or someone, that defies all human understanding of what is possible. Does this mean logic is wrong?

Our understanding of logic, appears to me to be the problem, and not logic itself. We tend to view logic as being an arithmetic process, a step by step approach to the inevitable answer, however, I believe logic can also be geometric, a sequence of computations that lead to an undefined, indefinite answer we like to call infinity. Understanding life and existence requires that we must apply the same thought process. In answering the question of where God came from and how God created the world, I submit it to you, that we are at the analogical point of infinity. Thus, logic does not at all preclude the existence of God.

The atheist at this point, smartly, would probably quip, “but even if you believe in God, which religion do you believe is true?” This presents a genuine logical challenge, but like all logical challenges, there is a logical approach to the answer. There are probably hundreds of religions, each one professing to be the correct and true way to God. Logic has it that if there is a God, and no two religions agree on how to worship Him, then either all of them are wrong and no one really knows about God, or one of them is right and all the others are wrong. This should make every religious person pause and seriously question themselves and their beliefs.
There is a gap here. Which has always been the failure of theists. Belief doesn't make anything true.
You were driving a logical argument till you delve into superstitions below here

Contrary to what most people believe, faith and logic do not necessarily contradict. Quite on the contrary, I believe that God expects us all to apply some logic in our search for truth. For instance, it is written in Romans 1: 19-20:
‘because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shewn it to them. For since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse’....
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 9:00pm On Jul 24, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:

There is a gap here. Which has always been the failure of theists. Belief doesn't make anything true.
You were driving a logical argument till you delve into superstitions below here

I only used the word believe but really based on the scripture I quoted, it is fact
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 9:32pm On Jul 24, 2017
Why go for Christianity? Islam is giving you 72 virgins in Heaven and unlimited Sex cool In Xtian Heaven its all praise and Worship cry
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 9:35pm On Jul 24, 2017
SmartyPants:

I only used the word believe but really based on the scripture I quoted, it is fact
There is no one single fact in the Bible

5 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 10:19pm On Jul 24, 2017
Deicide:

There is no one single fact in the Bible

That's is your opinion. And a pretty weird one at that. Egyptians were very good at preserving bodies. However, not all other civilizations were.

Is that the only shred of evidence you have to hold on to?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:54am On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

Your argument is rendered illogical when you made that incoherent leap. That's all I'm saying.

Have we accepted the bible as authentic or true? You just had to drag it in somehow as if it makes your point valid. A muslim can as well introduce the Quran in that same manner.

2 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MrMontella(m): 9:24am On Jul 25, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Your argument is rendered illogical when you made that incoherent leap. That's all I'm saying.

Have we accepted the bible as authentic or true? You just had to drag it in somehow as if it makes your point valid. A muslim can as well introduce the Quran in that same manner.
ah Taya for them oo...
they never improve on their argument skills

2 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 11:06am On Jul 25, 2017
Thousands of gods out there but his parents god just happened to be the true god. Lol

@OP you'll make similar argument for another god depending where you were born.

Maybe something did cause the universe, but the first cause argument doesn't tell us that that thing is conscious or still alive. A dead or inanimate god is useless to theism. Plus how do you even leap from that thing to the one in your babble that loves barbecue and wants you to cut your penis skin. Your argument is terrible IMO

2 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 11:07am On Jul 25, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:

The mistake you are making is you have not observed that the point i used the bible as reference for, was not a part of my argument at all. It was an aside, obiter dicta, simply an encouragement to religious folks to not exclude the application of logic. I would have thought this conclusion is one we can both agree with.

Other than that, i have not referenced the bible to butress any of my arguments, which are all based on logic. If you take out that paragraph or skip over it as you read, the write up will still flow perfectly.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 11:18am On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:
Thousands of gods out there but his parents god just happened to be the true god. Lol

@OP you'll make similar argument for another god depending where you were born.

Maybe something did cause the universe, but the first cause argument doesn't tell us that that thing is conscious or still alive. A dead or inanimate god is useless to theism. Plus how do you even leap from that thing to the one in your babble that loves barbecue and wants you to cut your penis skin. Your argument is terrible IMO

Can we agree that it is pointless to use language that is considered offensive? How does this logically reinforce your argument in anyway? I appeal to your sense of reason, kindly desist.

Contrary to what you believe, my father was a moslem and i was initially raised that way. My elder brother does not believe in God. I do not agree with my parents on a lot of doctrinal issues, and they do not agree with some of the places where i worship. I left church altogether for a good long while and only recently returned. I am not under environmental influence, though i must admit it obviously played a part. I have always used my mind and asked the relevant questions to the point where in fellowship i am labelled Mr. Skeptic. In the theology course i took in college, i almost caused a riot. My presentation is the result of careful, circumspect thought.

Now, if we want to be logical, in the absence of religion, we have absolutely no idea how the world came about. None whatsoever. To therefore postulate, and then project such postulations as being probable is highly illogical. Without religion, we have nothing to go on, so any suggestions are moot and far out of place in a logical discussion.

The question on religion is simply a question of whether or not we can trust religion and why. My first argument is that we can trust religion because the first question as to the existence and nature of an original source of life shows us that there are possibilities far beyond the realm of our current understanding. Therefore, to preclude the authenticity of all religion on the basis of current thought processes is illogical.

Would you dispute this?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 11:31am On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

Can we agree that it is pointless to use language that is considered offensive? How does this logically reinforce your argument in anyway? I appeal to your sense of reason, kindly desist.

Contrary to what you believe, my father was a moslem and i was initially raised that way. My elder brother does not believe in God. I do not agree with my parents on a lot of doctrinal issues, and they do not agree with some of the places where i worship. I left church altogether for a good long while and only recently returned. I am not under environmental influence, though i must admit it obviously played a part. I have always used my mind and asked the relevant questions to the point where in fellowship i am labelled Mr. Skeptic. In the theology course i took in college, i almost caused a riot. My presentation is the result of careful, circumspect thought.

Now, if we want to be logical, in the absence of religion, we have absolutely no idea how the world came about. None whatsoever. To therefore postulate, and then project such postulations as being probable is highly illogical. Without religion, we have nothing to go on, so any suggestions are moot and far out of place in a logical discussion.

The question on religion is simply a question of whether or not we can trust religion and why. My first argument is that we can trust religion because the first question as to the existence and nature of an original source of life shows us that there are possibilities far beyond the realm of our current understanding. Therefore, to preclude the authenticity of all religion on the basis of current thought processes is illogical.

Would you dispute this?

You did not address my point. Let's try and keep it simple.

Would you have been a Christian if you were born to Muslim parents in Yemen?

Any sense of dishonesty and I'm outta here.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 11:37am On Jul 25, 2017
I do not see anything in your OP that a moslem can't equally say about his religion given your argument is underpinned by your scripture. Jesus this, Jesus that. Anybody can cite his/her scriptures too.

It's all indoctrination dude.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 11:37am On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

You did not address my point. Let's try and keep it simple.

Would you have been a Christian if you were born to Muslim parents in Yemen?

Any sense of dishonesty and I'm outta here.

I am not obliged to give you the answer that would make you feel warm inside! If you don't like it, by all means get out of here.

How would i know what i would have done in a completely different set of circumstances? However it is very likely i would have because that religion is too questionable.

I also can tell you for a fact, that there are people born to moslem parents in the staunchest moslem countries, who have decided to become Christians. My father was born to a staunch moslem family for instance. He converted. So my being born a christian and my firm belief that chrisitanity is the only way are actually a coincidence.

Take it or leave it.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by hopefulLandlord: 11:43am On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

I am not obliged to give you the answer that would make you feel warm inside! If you don't like it, by all means get out of here.

How would i know what i would have done in a completely different set of circumstances? However it is very likely i would have because that religion is too questionable.

I also can tell you for a fact, that there are people born to moslem parents in the staunchest moslem countries, who have decided to become Christians. My father was born to a staunch moslem family for instance. He converted. So my being born a christian and my firm belief that chrisitanity is the only way are actually a coincidence.

Take it or leave it.

those are exceptions though

we all know overwhelming majority that are born in a particular religion live and die as its adherent

2 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 11:46am On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:
I do not see anything in your OP that a moslem can't equally say about his religion given your argument is underpinned by your scripture. Jesus this, Jesus that. Anybody can cite his/her scriptures too.

It's all indoctrination dude.

Then you certainly did not read what i said at all. Nothing in my argument is based on scripture. I summarize for your sake:

1. Existence from the beginning of time.

Islam cannot claim to have existed from the beginning of humanity since it can point to a founder who was born at some point much later in time.

2. Main proponent must be a perfect example, relevant in all ages.

Islam has as its main proponent, a man who did things that would be considered wrong today. He married a child, and took his son's wife. He also took more wives than the four Moslems are permitted, and told his followers it was permitted for only him.

3. Must provide a link to God that surpasses a set of rules

Islam only offers rules. Christianity preaches Jesus Himself, as the pathway to God.

4. Evidence of witnesses

No other religion has had its witnesses so persecuted, and so willing to suffer persecution for what they believed in. Those who lived with Jesus was so convinced that they were willing to die. Even Mohammed himself was unsure of himself and when he was about to die, he had to ask his followers to pray for him.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 11:48am On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

Take it or leave it.

The odds are extremely high.

The fact your whole writeup screams Bible leaves no doubt you'd be a staunch moslem if you were in a moslem environment with another scripture called Koran.

Until you make a tenable argument devoid of scriptural references, no skeptic will regard you as anything than another indoctrinated religionist. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 11:50am On Jul 25, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

we all know overwhelming majority that are born in a particular religion live and die as its adherent

Yes, but i only made that argument in order to establish my own credibility.

But then the number of islam-to-christianity converts is actually substantial

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/752551/Muslim-Christian-convert-Islam-church-Iran-Europe-religion
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

Then you certainly did not read what i said at all. Nothing in my argument is based on scripture. I summarize for your sake:

Islam cannot claim to have existed from the beginning of humanity since it can point to a founder who was born at some point much later in time.

What the f'u.ck are you saying dude. This is outrightly silly. Christianity started 2000 years ago.

SmartyPants:

Islam has as its main proponent, a man who did things that would be considered wrong today. He married a child, and took his son's wife. He also took more wives than the four Moslems are permitted, and told his followers it was permitted for only him.

Another nonsense. Jesus preached hate and bigotry. Jesus did not condemn slavery. He was a hypocrite. He also approved killing others for Yahweh. I can list you 20 reason why like Mohammed, Jesus was a flawed man

SmartyPants:

Islam only offers rules. Christianity preaches Jesus Himself, as the pathway to God.

There he goes again. Mentioning Jesus. It doesn't amount to anything.

SmartyPants:

4. Evidence of witnesses

No other religion has had its witnesses so persecuted, and so willing to suffer persecution for what they believed in. Those who lived with Jesus was so convinced that they were willing to die. Even Mohammed himself was unsure of himself and when he was about to die, he had to ask his followers to pray for him.

Absolute poppycock. Other religions has martyrs. But somehow Christian martyrs are special. Lol

Pease provide the independent source that wrote about the apostles being martyred for refusing to deny Jesus. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 12:24pm On Jul 25, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

That's dishonesty from his end. The way he's about the Bible shows he'd be another raghead had it been he was born in a strong Muslim environment like Yemen.

Arguments from the Bible or any holy book is a sign of indoctrination. I don't expect our lying OP to nod to this.

1 Like

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 12:57pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

What the f'u.ck are you saying dude. This is outrightly silly. Christianity started 2000 years ago.

Another nonsense. Jesus preached hate and bigotry. Jesus did not condemn slavery. He was a hypocrite. He also approved killing others for Yahweh. I can list you 20 reason why like Mohammed, Jesus was a flawed man

There he goes again. Mentioning Jesus. It doesn't amount to anything.

Absolute poppycock. Other religions has martyrs. But somehow Christian martyrs are special. Lol

Pease provide the independent source that wrote about the apostles being martyred for refusing to deny Jesus. Good luck with that.

1. If you had read the article you would not say this. Is it too much to ask that you read before you begin to comment wildly? Christianity started with Judaism. It is not a separate religion but is the worship of the same God in a new disposition, brought about by the death of Jesus.

2. Jesus never preached hate. Show me the scripture where Jesus preached hate and bigotry.... I am patiently waiting on you. Jesus never condoned slavery either! And he never ever ever approved killing anyone. Show me the scripture... you are displaying your ignorance on a massive scale.

3. I was making a comparison of the teachings on religions, not using Jesus as a reference. Think!

4. Historical records from the time are not detailed, and you would not expect them to be. Yet writers of that time did make mention to Christians being persecuted. Look up the writings of Suetonius and Tacitus in connection with this.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 12:59pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

That's dishonesty from his end. The way he's about the Bible shows he'd be another raghead had it been he was born in a strong Muslim environment like Yemen.

Arguments from the Bible or any holy book is a sign of indoctrination. I don't expect our lying OP to nod to this.

I said lots of Moslems convert to Christianity. Kindly point out the dishonesty and butress your assertion with legitimate sources.

Secondly, do be kind enough to show me where i made arguments from the Bible.

I'm lying because i do not kow tow to your infantile logic? You are a funny person.

The posts are all here for everyone to see, so it is your own credibility that is at stake.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

1. If you had read the article you would not say this. Is it too much to ask that you read before you begin to comment wildly? Christianity started with Judaism. It is not a separate religion but is the worship of the same God in a new disposition, brought about by the death of Jesus.

A typical brainwashed lying Christian. Your earlier post and the thread specifically mentioned Christianity, why on fuckery earth do you bring in Judaism. You laid claim that Christianity is superior to Islam because Islam has a founder and beginning, then I revealed your idiocy by showing you Christianity equally got a founder and beginning, and now you're jumping on Judaism. Are you no longer a Christian? Suddenly a Jew? You really are confused or is that your way of covering up your folly?

SmartyPants:

2. Jesus never preached hate. Show me the scripture where Jesus preached hate and bigotry.... I am patiently waiting on you. Jesus never condoned slavery either! And he never ever ever approved killing anyone. Show me the scripture... you are displaying your ignorance on a massive scale.

This is hate.
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Hypocrisy.
Tells people not to call others fool (Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22.) And then he called his critics and disciples fools (Ye fools and blind. Matthew 23:17, 19
Ye fools. Luke 11:40
O fools, and slow of heart to believe. Luke 24:25)

A bigot.
Do not turn your steps to pagan territory, and do not enter any Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel (Matt. 10:5-6)

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him (Matt. 6:7–cool

Did he condemned slavery?
That servant who knew his master’s will but didn’t prepare for it or act on it will be beaten severely. The one who didn’t know the master’s will but who did things deserving punishment will be beaten only a little. Much will be demanded from everyone who has been given much, and from the one who has been entrusted with much, even more will be asked. (Luke 12:47‭-‬48 CEB)

SmartyPants:

3. I was making a comparison of the teachings on religions, not using Jesus as a reference. Think!

"Christianity preaches Jesus while Islam follows rules."

How does this make your religion superior. Jesus a son of god is a biblical claim, is there any evidence to support this. You keep proving me right, you're just some indoctrinated Christian.

SmartyPants:

4. Historical records from the time are not detailed, and you would not expect them to be. Yet writers of that time did make mention to Christians being persecuted. Look up the writings of Suetonius and Tacitus in connection with this.

Stop hiding behind Tacitus or Suetonius. Quote any of their works where they wrote about the apostles being martyred due to their refusal to deny Jesus. It's always easy to make claims but adducing evidence is the difficult part.

4 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 2:25pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

I said lots of Moslems convert to Christianity. Kindly point out the dishonesty and butress your assertion with legitimate sources.

Secondly, do be kind enough to show me where i made arguments from the Bible.

I'm lying because i do not kow tow to your infantile logic? You are a funny person.

The posts are all here for everyone to see, so it is your own credibility that is at stake.

However it is very likely i would have because that religion is too questionable.

This is a lie. It's not very likely, in fact there's a 1.2 percent chance for you to be a Christian if your parents were Muslims in Yemen.

The truth remains your Christian faith is a result of the indoctrination you had in your formative years. I have not seen a logical or rational reason from you that showed otherwise. All your arguments can be applied to other religions so you my friend are a shameless liar.

Edit your thread title to, "Christianity: the religion I was exposed to in my early years"

2 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 2:27pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

A typical brainwashed lying Christian. Your earlier post and the thread specifically mentioned Christianity, why on fuckery earth do you bring in Judaism. You laid claim that Christianity is superior to Islam because Islam has a founder and beginning, then I revealed your idiocy by showing you Christianity equally got a founder and beginning, and now you're jumping on Judaism. Are you no longer a Christian? Suddenly a Jew? You really are confused or is that your way of covering up your folly?

This is hate.
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Hypocrisy.
Tells people not to call others fool (Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22.) And then he called his critics and disciples fools (Ye fools and blind. Matthew 23:17, 19

A bigot.
Do not turn your steps to pagan territory, and do not enter any Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel (Matt. 10:5-6)

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him (Matt. 6:7–cool

Did he condemned slavery?
That servant who knew his master’s will but didn’t prepare for it or act on it will be beaten severely. The one who didn’t know the master’s will but who did things deserving punishment will be beaten only a little. Much will be demanded from everyone who has been given much, and from the one who has been entrusted with much, even more will be asked. (Luke 12:47‭-‬48 CEB)

"Christianity preaches Jesus while Islam follows rules."

How does this make your religion superior. Jesus a son of god is a biblical claim, is there any evidence to support this. You keep proving me right, you're just some indoctrinated Christian.

Stop hiding behind Tacitus or Suetonius. Quote any of their works where they wrote about the apostles being martyred due to their refusal to deny Jesus. It's always easy to make claims but adducing evidence is the difficult part.

1. A typical brainwashed lying Christian. Your earlier post and the thread specifically mentioned Christianity, why on fuckery earth do you bring in Judaism. You laid claim that Christianity is superior to Islam because Islam has a founder and beginning, then I revealed your idiocy by showing you Christianity equally got a founder and beginning, and now you're jumping on Judaism. Are you no longer a Christian? Suddenly a Jew? You really are confused or is that your way of covering up your folly?

I have already explained this part. This show that you do not even understand either Judaism or Christianity. So i cannot debate with you from your position of ignorance.

2. This is hate.

Did you see the bolded? Common sense should tell you that Jesus was not asking anyone to hate anyone but rather to prioritize discipleship over everything else.

Hypocrisy.

Have you read the whole of Matt 5? It is in the context of secret sins of the heart such as lust and hate... in the context of hate is where it is stated that he who calls his brother fool is in danger of hell fire. the two bolded words are key. They establish that it is not absolutely wrong for us to use the word fool since to be in danger of something does not actually mean to already be in breach of the protection. As i matter of fact, i think you are actually a fool.

4. A bigot.

This requires no explanation. Clearly you do not know what a bigot is. Jesus instructed His disciples to preach and teach and make disciples up to the ends of the earth.

5. Did he condemned slavery?

Go to school and meet any of your lecturers. Ask them to explain to you the difference between a servant and a slave.

6. "Christianity preaches Jesus while Islam follows rules."

How does this make your religion superior. Jesus a son of god is a biblical claim, is there any evidence to support this. You keep proving me right, you're just some indoctrinated Christian

Read the article again for better understanding of what i said and what it means. I'm not here to spoonfeed you.

7. Stop hiding behind Tacitus or Suetonius. Quote any of their works where they wrote about the apostles being martyred due to their refusal to deny Jesus. It's always easy to make claims but adducing evidence is the difficult part.

I've made the point that we do not have sufficient neutral historical records from the period. But you can read the works of those writers for evidence of Christian persecution.

Meanwhile i am waiting for you to show me where Jesus asked His followers to kill anyone.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 2:30pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

This is a lie. It's not very likely, in fact there's a 1.2 percent chance for you to be a Christian if your parents were Muslims in Yemen.

The truth remains your Christian faith is a result of the indoctrination you had in your formative years. I have not seen a logical or rational reason from you that showed otherwise. All your arguments can be applied to other religions so you my friend are a shameless liar.

Edit your thread title to, "Christianity: the religion I was exposed to in my early years"

I am not responsible for your incapacity to understand simple things. You asked about me specifically, and not about the people of Yemen, therefore that stat you posted there is completely out of place. And add a source to that.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by LiberaDeus: 2:38pm On Jul 25, 2017
@OP

Please can you state what makes christianity the more logical religion than islam?

And also explain why i shouldnt see the uncausable causer as Allah who sent his last prophet Muhammad.

Thanks
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 2:50pm On Jul 25, 2017
LiberaDeus:
@OP

Please can you state what makes christianity the more logical religion than islam?

And also explain why i shouldnt see the uncausable causer as Allah who sent his last prophet Muhammad.

Thanks

There you go:

SmartyPants:

4. Evidence of witnesses

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Love Making In Dream / What Does The Bible Say About Sex Before Marriage? / Fake Pastors Exposed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.