Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards (10295 Views)

Overloaded Truck Fell Over Backwards. PHOTOS / Mercedes Is Recalling The G65 Because It Can Go Too Fast Backwards / How Do You Hold And Use Your Gear Selector? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by OneNaijaMan: 1:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
A lot of drivers change their gears from reverse to drive while still rolling backwards. Isn't that going to put a strain on the transmission? Like premature wear? It is amazing the number of people that drive this way. Why can't they simply stop dead at 0 before engaging the drive gear in an automatic transmission.

I will love to hear from the professionals.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by pomide(m): 1:50pm On Jul 25, 2017
actually it promotes smoother flow of transmission. Scenario, when reversing, and you throw gear to D, the car brakes naturally and heads to move forward. Personally, it's boring to reverse, press full brake till halt, now shift to D then move forward.
to answer ur question, Nothing go do your car.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by cyborg123(m): 3:06pm On Jul 25, 2017
It is bad. Internal transmission clutch will wear prematurely. Pistons/valve body may take a hit too. In modern cars, electronic controls ensure you brake completely before you can shift the gear lever to mitigate this.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by OneNaijaMan: 3:53pm On Jul 25, 2017
pomide:
actually it promotes smoother flow of transmission. Scenario, when reversing, and you throw gear to D, the car brakes naturally and heads to move forward. Personally, it's boring to reverse, press full brake till halt, now shift to D then move forward.

I understand what you mean, but with the right brake timing, it will be as smooth as ever. I'm still against using the reverse gear as a brake.
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by OneNaijaMan: 3:56pm On Jul 25, 2017
cyborg123:
It is bad. Internal transmission clutch will wear prematurely. Pistons/valve body may take a hit too. In modern cars, electronic controls ensure you brake completely before you can shift the gear lever to mitigate this.

Exactly my thought. But some people still do this with modern cars, or is there an acceptable rollback speed?

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by cyborg123(m): 6:26pm On Jul 25, 2017
OneNaijaMan:

Exactly my thought. But some people still do this with modern cars, or is there an acceptable rollback speed?
I don't think so. This subject matter is probably one of the reasons​ why Nigeria used cars depreciate very fast. grin

6 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by OneNaijaMan: 8:59pm On Jul 25, 2017
cyborg123:

I don't think so. This subject matter is probably one of the reasons why Nigeria used cars depreciate very fast. grin

I agree, a lot of similar questionable driving habits

4 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by tahoe(m): 12:23pm On Jul 26, 2017
not only Nigerians do it. Must be done if you are to do a J turn

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by Xblink(m): 7:22am On Jul 27, 2017
Yea
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by opestein: 7:24am On Jul 27, 2017
Wizberg12:
j
you see your life?
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 27, 2017
Dunno
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by pweetymama(f): 7:26am On Jul 27, 2017
Hmmmnnn.ok,i will heed to d advice from now on.thanks.
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by NothingDoMe: 7:26am On Jul 27, 2017
Wizberg12:
j
For Jesu

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by illicit(m): 7:27am On Jul 27, 2017
hard drive
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by LastSurvivor11: 7:28am On Jul 27, 2017
One thing is changing a new gear while on reverse and another thing is moving forward while still rolling backward..
I think changing gear while on reverse mode is safe cos the clutch will neutralise the pressure but trying to moving forward while the car is still going backward will put unnecessary pressure on the clutch n gear box.

On a lighter note, we can verify from oga bubu

2 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by opestein: 7:28am On Jul 27, 2017
LastSurvivor11:
S
you see your life?

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by Vince77(m): 7:30am On Jul 27, 2017
I do this alot.
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by spaggyy(m): 7:33am On Jul 27, 2017
That's fast and furious style

Ur car self go dry happy and feel itself

I love the way the car jacks forward
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by d33types: 7:33am On Jul 27, 2017
pomide:

Wow , is all i can say for you..Terrible

It is pardonable for manual drive and not auto.

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by Solomonudofia(m): 7:34am On Jul 27, 2017
Kk
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by rottenPussy: 7:35am On Jul 27, 2017
@Op, go tell that to Vin Diesel undecided or the drivers in death race grin

#teamFastAndFurious
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by NothingDoMe: 7:37am On Jul 27, 2017
Wizberg12:

Instead of making a good contribution, you're looking for who to quote. SMH
And why are you quoting me after you have made your own contribution? undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by LastSurvivor11: 7:38am On Jul 27, 2017
opestein:
you see your life?

smiley
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by MARKone(m): 7:39am On Jul 27, 2017
Wizberg12:
If it is manual transmission, you can change the gear from any position to any position provided you are holding the crutch. But for Automatic transmission, you are wearing and tearing your gear if you do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIH6CGB_8U

lol at "crutch"

3 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 27, 2017
Its very bad I've tried it severally and the reaction of the car isn't pleasing at all

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by dipznano: 7:41am On Jul 27, 2017
I doubt if it has any implications, I do that a lot + I've seen a documentary on mythbusters; showing (with an experiment) that throwing ur gear into reverse while on a drive will eventually halt ur car before it starts to reverse with no damage (therefore even if u have an ish with ur brake on a free way, u can use ur reverse gear).
Although this is opposite the discussion, I believe it works just the same way in both scenarios!
Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by BTT(m): 7:56am On Jul 27, 2017
I like coasting on N.

On high speed some time ago, I erroneously threw my gear into R from N because I thought the car was already in D and wanted to throw it to N not knowing I was actually throwing N to R. The car just automatically went off. Remember this was on highway speed. No noise, no gnash, nothing, it just went off calmly. I restarted and car was fine again.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by Angeleye5(m): 7:57am On Jul 27, 2017
OneNaijaMan:
A lot of drivers change their gears from reverse to drive while still rolling backwards. Isn't that going to put a strain on the transmission? Like premature wear? It is amazing the number of people that drive this way. Why can't they simply stop dead at 0 before engaging the drive gear in an automatic transmission.

I will love to hear from the professionals.
. Seriously if u are doing that u are just wearing ur grand shaft. It's a no-no 4 a professional driver.

1 Like

Re: Is It Bad To Change Your Gear To Drive While Your Car Is Still Rolling Backwards by LoveJesus87(m): 8:00am On Jul 27, 2017
All these I think I think,

Let me kuku head to the mechanics shop and ask d experts themselves angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Legal To Drive Right-hand-drive (RHD) Vehicles In Nigeria? / Can I Replace My Car Engine Oil With A Road Side Measurement Oil? / New Vehicle Sales Drop 48% In Q3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.