Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,275 members, 7,954,090 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:10 PM

The Devil Wears Okrika - Literature (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil Wears Okrika (633040 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / The Devil In The Suit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by emerich(m): 7:57pm On Nov 19, 2017
One of the best piece I had read in a very long while, U just got me glued to my phone all through the weekend, U made my weekend bro....
More grease to your elbows, U deserved my admiration....

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by bakeuhappy: 8:38pm On Nov 19, 2017
[quote author=bakeuhappy post=60024760][/quote] at souloho19 at least I tried in predicting Steve has an alter ego..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by AuthoritySpeaks(m): 9:06pm On Nov 19, 2017
bakeuhappy:
at souloho19 at least I tried in predicting Steve has an alter ego..

How about our "No Pleasure For Dead Girls Nah?"
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by smartaphyl(m): 9:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
where this guy dey na..am loosing ma patience
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 20, 2017
Update update young john update

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oluwakemi65(f): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2017
Souloho y have u nt updated since, is something wrong? undecided.i hope all is well shaa.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by nuelzy: 10:34am On Nov 21, 2017
Tired of waiting.. Someone pls mention me when he is done with the delay...

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Charminee(f): 4:13am On Nov 22, 2017
Really really captivating. Best story i have ever read on nairaland....

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:26am On Nov 22, 2017
sorry for the delay, update is almost ready
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:27am On Nov 22, 2017
solomonbrown64:

....Don't mind me jare.... I formatted my phone hence losing so many files in the process but that wasn't the only issue. I discovered that I tend to get lost in my imaginations some times especially when writing, you know. Sometimes I can't even do anything reasonable when such things happen until I got to know I had some melancholic tendencies or whatever. Meaning that I would tend to have vivid and powerful imaginations.
....I have stopped writing because of this "problem" but it won't be for long though. As soon as I get underway again , I will let you know. Missed your input greatly.

form is temporary, class is permanent. I await your next masterpiece. Gracias boss

2 Likes

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:28am On Nov 22, 2017
Oluwakemi65:
Souloho y have u nt updated since, is something wrong? undecided.i hope all is well shaa.

all is well dear just electricity problems as usual...going to update soon
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:29am On Nov 22, 2017
emerich:
One of the best piece I had read in a very long while, U just got me glued to my phone all through the weekend, U made my weekend bro....
More grease to your elbows, U deserved my admiration....

thanks boss I appreciate
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 9:31am On Nov 22, 2017
clint237:
Sir Soul. My huge apologize on my ghost reading habits. I only got hold of this story 3 days ago. And my reading pace has been an unprecedented one..you captivate souls & you more Merit than merit i shave my dada just to pay you Hommage.

Bless You Sir as you soldier On. God Bless every aspect of Your Life.

amen God bless you bro, thanks
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by panpan(m): 11:44am On Nov 22, 2017
I started reading this story less than a week ago. It has been a wonderful suspense filled literature that has taken up virtually all of my spare time. I just had to read page after page, update after update. Souloho19, keep it up. I look forward to watching this as a movie or television series.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 3:12pm On Nov 22, 2017
kingphilip:
Souloho19 you no see anybody name to use na my own ba undecided

Better come appease with one good update o or else

You're doing a great job here BTW just that your updates come scarce these days

grin hahahaha...I completely forgot bro..the update is coming right now..as for the slow updates, remember I once used to update everyday sometimes twice a day that was when I was home but been facing electricity problems in my ppa
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 3:13pm On Nov 22, 2017
nuelzy:
Tired of waiting.. Someone pls mention me when he is done with the delay...

oya come back bro cheesy
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by nuelzy: 3:17pm On Nov 22, 2017
souloho19:

oya come back bro cheesy
am bck!!... No updates yet??

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by cyndy1000(f): 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2017
We are still waiting o

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by souloho19(m): 3:50pm On Nov 22, 2017
A lot of things happened at once. Dé John had been looking at his colleague intently, with a sad look on his face "how could you do this...why did you do this..elder. Why!"
Pa Kenneth clenched his teeth "he was my son..bone of my bone.. You all are going to pay, you all!" he replied bitterly.

At the same time, Dé Nwachukwu and Amara arrived at the market square.
"Jesus...what's going on here?!" Dé Nwachukwu demanded raising his voice above the noise from the crowd.
The noise died down as Dé Nwachukwu walked to the front, looking at Pà Kenneth and then studying the charred remains of his son.
Benedict lifted the cup of palm wine to his lips but he paused to speak "Elder...Bartholomew was found guilty of rape and murder and sentenced to death..pa Kenneth on the other hand is guilty of aiding the killer"
"Hmm....how can you people be drinking like this while one of us burns to death?" Dé Nwachukwu asked with a disgusted expression.
"He was never one of us sir..never!" A voice shouted from the crowd.
Dé Nwachukwu looked at Dé john. He avoided pa Kenneth's eyes. "Dé..you allowed this happen?"
"Actually I only just arrived myself..but what can I do, the people want justice...jungle justice and to be honest I quite agree with them" as he spoke a young man brought a cup of palm wine and bowed slightly before offering it to Dé Nwachukwu "sir..elder...the palm wine is very fresh and undiluted"
"Take it away from my face at once" Dé Nwachukwu snapped.
The young man withdrew the cup as if he had been scalded. He turned hurriedly but Dé John called him back.
"Hey..Ugo...bring it here"
Dé Nwachukwu sighed tiredly "this is not right...what are we going to do to Pa Kenneth now"
"He's going to face another trial but truth be told I see him suffering the same fate as Bartholomew"
Pa Kenneth scoffed and Dé Nwachukwu looked at him finally "Everyone is going to die..I'm not going alone" there was a triumphant look in his eyes and Dé Nwachukwu frowned. "What do you mean...pa Kenneth what have you done?"
"Hahaha..watch and see... Just watch and see"
Dé John shook his head and drank the palm wine.

°•°•°•
Amara was shocked when she saw Osi squeezing his way through the crowd. She had left him in the clinic and he promised to remain there, but here he was in obvious pain. She swore angrily and called out to him.
"Osi..Osi..over here!"

°•°•
Osi heard his name and turned. He saw Amara hurrying to his side and he swallowed. Jelemba smiled "uncle...look at aunty" the young lad was fond of the beautiful lady.
"Osi what are you doing here...you promised me"
She said accusingly.
He gave her an apologetic smile and tried not to show the pain he was in "I know..I know..but I just learnt something and I had to come here immediately"
She frowned "what did you find out?"
"Mama Ezinne was involved with pa Kenneth..I think she was Bartholomew and Sofiri's mother"
"What?" Her eyes went wide immediately.
"Where is she? I need to speak to her" Osi asked her clutching his chest and panting slightly.
Amara noticed he was in serious pain but she looked round, scanning the crowd for mama Ezinne.
"I don't think she's- okay there she is!" She pointed at the woman who was bent turning more palm wine into a cup. She was surrounded by a small crowd as people waited for a drink.
Osi studied her for a second and frowned "what's that she's sharing?"
"I think its palm wine but I'm not really sure" Amara replied blocking the sun with her palm to afford a clear view.
"That's strange..her son was just burnt in her presence" his eyes strayed to the black figure on the ground. Bartholomew's remains. "Her son was just killed and she's sharing palm wine? Something is not right"
"I think you're on to something..." Amara agreed then hesitated "unless there's a mistake and she's not his mother?"
"she's his mother alright...I'm very sure" Osi insisted.

"Osi..why did you leave the clinic?" Reverend Okorie asked worriedly as he walked to where they stood.
"Sir..something bad is going to happen, I can feel it" Osi said as the reverend and Gregory observed him intently, looking at his chest.
"I can feel it in my spirit too...I just pray nothing evil happens" Reverend Okorie said.
Osi watched mama Ezinne with a frown as the woman handed cup after cup of palm wine to the crowd. Then he scanned the crowd looking for pa Kenneth and he saw the old man sneering at the other elders. Dé Nwachukwu and Dé John.
There was something in his expression, a victorious look that got Osi worried.
He watched the young man approach and thrust the cup of palm wine to Dé Nwachukwu who gave a harsh reply because the youth withdrew the cup immediately. But when Dé John signalled the young man and took the cup from him, Osi noticed the Pa Kenneth as his eyes brightened. He said something and smiled wickedly as he watched Dé John downed the contents.
Osi immediately knew what was happening.
"Oh my God..its the palmwine...they poisoned the palm wine" he shouted. He clutched his chest as the pain doubled. He looked at Reverend Okorie with wide eyes. "Sir...we need to stop them from drinking the palm wine..."

°•°•°•
Benedict strolled to the elders with his palm wine cup in his hand.
"Dé..we want to commence the trial of Pa Kenneth" he brought the cup to his lips.
"Who are the we? Are you now in charge of this village?" Dé Nwachukwu asked.
The cup barely touched his lips when he brought it to his side without drinking it yet again.
Pa Kenneth sighed angrily, drawing a quick glance in his direction from the trio.
"Elder...It is not possible, I am a loyal indigene I am only the voice of the youth"
Dé Nwachukwu nodded satisfied. "We will have the trial, but this time no death sentence...it would be a taboo to end the life of the oldest man in our village like that"
"But Dé-" Benedict protested.
"He's right...we can not afford to treat our elder in such a disgraceful manner" Dé John agreed.
"Okay sir...I agree, but what punishment would be suitable for him? Remember Bartholomew got away for so long because Pa Kenneth shielded him."
Three was a brief silence then Dé Nwachukwu said "Exile...we exile the traitor permanently"
"Okay Sir... But the crowd may want-"
"Benedict...forget the excuses, you're a blood thirst young man, now call the crowd to order, whether you like it or not you're one of us now" Dé Nwachukwu chastised.

Just then there was a shout from behind the crowd and the people began murmuring excitedly.
Amidst the chatter a word could be heard clearly, it spread among the people like wild fire until it got to the front.
Poison.
"Poison?" Dé Nwachukwu, Dé john and the butcher said together in confusion.
Pa Kenneth hissed in frustration when he saw the tall pastor and the Reverend moving round the crowd alerting the people to the poisoned wine. How the hell did they find out? He thought to himself. Did Margaret (mama Ezinne) betray him? Well his death sentence was very sure now, no two ways about it.
He looked around, searching the floor intently for any weapon. One thing was also sure, he wasn't going down without a fight.

°•°•
"Don't drink it...the wine is poisoned...there is poison in the palm wine, its going to kill you!" Osi shouted as a middle aged woman brought the cup to her lips.
She looked at him but couldn't help herself as she took a sip. "But it tastes fine...it is fresh palmy"
Osi hurriedly knocked the cup out of her hand.
The few people with the cups were no longer drinking, some poured the contents on the floor but some still gripped the cup stubbornly.
Osi headed towards mama Ezinne. Their eyes met and held and he wondered about the frightened look in them. She looked like a cornered rabbit and for a minute he was filled with compassion..she looked so hurt.

His legs almost gave out under him. He took short breaths inhaling through his nose gently and slowed his steps. But then mama Ezinne bent down and filled the cup in her hand. The look in her eyes was clear and betrayed her intention.
"No..no...don't do it" Osi increased his pace to a half run and ignored the fire that was spreading in his chest.
But he was too late, too far and too slow. Mama Ezinne drank the contents of the cup, emptying the liquid down her throat.
There was a cry of dismay from the front and Osi realized it was Pa Kenneth. He must have seen her drink the poison.
He approached mama Ezinne "why...why did you do it?"
A single tear rolled down her cheeks "I can never go against him"

There was commotion as the villagers were suddenly restless. Some forced their fingers deep into their throat desperate to vomit the palm wine they had just drank. They discussed amongst themselves about a special herb in the woods that would cleanse the system.

Dé John clutched his stomach and trembled. His eyes were white with fear. "Oh my God...Oh my God...Oh my God" he kept on saying over and over which was quite strange since he had insisted countless times that he was a pagan.

It was Benedict yet again who spoke up in an effort to calm the crowd. Truth be told he couldn't believe his luck. He had really wanted to drink the palm wine but now he was glad he hadn't been in a hurry.
At first he almost slammed the cup in his hand on the ground but then he looked at Pa Kenneth.
"You're behind this...you..you filthy swine!"
"How..did you see me share any palm wine?" Pa Kenneth closed his hand round the shard of glass he had picked up. He gripped it tightly and eyeballed the butcher.
"Oya take this cup and drink my friend!" Benedict shouted angrily and thrust the cup under Pa Kenneth's nose.
For an old man he was very swift. He slapped the cup from his hand and swiped the glass at Benedict aiming for the throat. He missed by the slightest inch but stamped the glass on the return swing catching the butcher in the chest.
Benedict staggered backwards and stared down at the narrow piece of glass sticking out of his chest. It had missed his heart. the glass had gone in his right chest.
He grabbed the glass prepared to pull it out with force.
"No..don't..leave it in first, so you don't loose too much blood" Dé Nwachukwu cautioned. He seemed to have found his voice after being shocked into silence earlier. Mama Ezinne's betrayal had stunned him deeply.

The youth named Phillip who had been the first to drink the palm wine picked up a piece of stone.
"Death to this unrepentant demon! Before I die...you must kiss the dust!" He threw the stone with much force, catching a surprised Pa Kenneth on his chest region. The elder yelped in pain and clutched his chest.
Another youth picked up a stone. A very massive one and let fly. More shouting from Bartholomew. A young woman threw a stone at him also and before long the villagers were in a baseball competition, throwing stone after stone on the weakened elder.
Pa Kenneth turned to run but he was cut down with more stones before he could succeed a home run.
That is if he planned to run home.

Dé John was still busy panicking, he was unaware of everything that was going on around him and he couldn't even hear Dé Nwachukwu's calm voice as he spoke soothing words.

Osi looked at the Reverend for guidance, he was his mentor, his teacher his friend. But this time his guardian looked just as lost.
"What do we do?" Gregory spoke up. He couldn't take his eyes off the stoning that was going on and for a minute Osi thought he meant they should do something about it.
Reverend Okorie replied when the pause seemed to stretch for eternity. "We need to group them...separate the people that drank the palm wine from the others."
"And pray for their souls?" Gregory asked.
"Yes but there has to be a way we can save them..we shouldn't just accept they would die like that" the reverend reasoned.
"I think if we get them to the clinic, the doctor might be able to pump their stomachs..I don't know how long before the poison starts to work but if we hurry we might be lucky" Osi suggested, bending resting his hands on his knees and his tongue out as he panted, taking extremely short breaths.
"I think that's good enough..right Greg?" Reverend Okorie glanced at him.
"Reminds me of Steven" Gregory muttered still watching the stoning.
"The European? What about him?" Osi asked with a concerned look.
"No...Steven in the bible..what a horrible way to die"
Osi shrugged "please let's get moving, time is against us..we need to group them..starting from Dé John..by the way look out for the doctor and Nkiru..I didn't see them in the clinic earlier so its very likely they're here"
Amara had been silent all along but she spoke up "I can't see Nkiru but there's the doctor" she pointed and Osi looked in the direction. True enough the doctor was in the midst of the crowd so intent on hurling stone after stone on Pa Kenneth who was fast becoming a bloody mess.
"There's just one problem...or maybe its not a problem" Amara said.
"What is it dear child?" The Reverend asked her softly.
"I saw the doctor drink two cups of palm wine"

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by kingphilip(m): 4:02pm On Nov 22, 2017
What is it dear child?" The Reverend asked her softly.
"I saw the doctor drink two cups of palm wine"

Hahaha even the doctor couldn't help it... He drank 2 solid cups

Souloho19 make I go look for my own palm wine before you dish us the rest of the updates later today

Great job man, great job

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by EpBerezi(m): 5:22pm On Nov 22, 2017
so I've been passing this story for a long time and then i finally decided to read and i was knocked off my socks. souloho, you are indeed a talented wonderful and most of all a GREAT writer. Ive been stuck on my phone for two straight days cos of your story. Thank you is all i have to say
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 22, 2017
Even the doctor drank..whahala dey o.
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Tolezy001(m): 7:13pm On Nov 22, 2017
embarassedWhy doctor why , why na u no fit hold yourself
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Vincad: 7:17pm On Nov 22, 2017
Long throat no good ooo
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by heemah(f): 7:43pm On Nov 22, 2017
Vincad:
Long throat no good ooo
I tell u. I just learnt another lesson cuz I'm a big foodie! grin
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Mobecs(f): 8:00pm On Nov 22, 2017
Omg!!! the tragedy at the end of this update got me laughing, the doctor who is supposed to save the others is not saved.
Good work Souloho19.

1 Like

Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by bakeuhappy: 8:22pm On Nov 22, 2017
AuthoritySpeaks:

How about our "No Pleasure For Dead Girls Nah?"

I'm not the author of 'No pleasure for dead girls'i was only assisting the author to post because he got banned by one of the mods. I've made an effort to reach the author and he said he's busy attending to personal stuff.
Please do bear with him. Thank yoy
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oluwakemi65(f): 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2017
Souloho u made my day*kisses*. I hope d story is coming to an end -no more suspense pls-
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Oluwakemi65(f): 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2017
Souloho u made my day*kisses*. I hope d story is coming to an end -no more suspense pls-
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by deriod(m): 9:23pm On Nov 22, 2017
iamloyalty:
Even the doctor drank..whahala dey o.
hello
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2017
deriod:
hello
Hi
Re: The Devil Wears Okrika by Ephhay(f): 9:35pm On Nov 22, 2017
Lol...The doctor is going down too grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (84) (Reply)

All In A Circle.....(A crime story) / Deceitful Couple / False Pretenses <1ST POSITION, ROMANCE STORY OF THE YEAR AWARD, 2013>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.