Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,687 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande (9627 Views)

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s Daughter's Wedding: Tinubu, Bisi Akande, Attend / Osun Election: PDP Floors APC In Bisi Akande’s Polling Unit / "I Wept Because Of Buhari's Health" - Bisi Akande (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by stephanie11: 10:06am On Jul 26, 2017
A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress(APC), Chief Bisi Akande has called for the removal of the 1999 Constitution.Akande, who is also a former chairman of the ruling APC on Tuesday, called for the dissolution of the 1999 Constitution, saying it protects criminal impunity in governance.

Akande made these statements in his speech at the launching ceremony of a book Nigeria: The path we refused to take, which held at the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA). The book is written by the Secretary General of Afenifere, Bashorun Seinde Arogbofa.

Akande, who maintained that the constitution should be scrapped and a new one written for the benefit of the people, rather than amending it also emphasised that the ongoing review efforts by the National Assembly would not solve the discrepancies in the Constitution.

Quoting him: “The 1999 Constitution is the greatest Nigeria’s misadventure since Lord Lugard amalgamation of 1914. The constitution puts emphasis on spending money rather than making it.The Constitution breeds and protects practices and criminal impunity in governance. It can never be beneficially reviewed and the ongoing adjustment or amendment can only totally bloat the essence of national values and accelerate the amalgamation of Nigeria.”

The APC Chieftain also suggested a re-adoption of the 1963 regional constitution, stressing that it will enable a transition to the writing of a more acceptable and unified constitution.

http://politicsngr.com/2017/07/26/restructuring-1999-constitution-scrapped-bisi-akande/

17 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by madridguy(m): 10:07am On Jul 26, 2017
Yes I stand with the removal of the 1999 PDP Constitution to milk the national treasury.

18 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by sarrki(m): 10:07am On Jul 26, 2017
Baba I believe you

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by auntysimbiat(f): 10:08am On Jul 26, 2017
yes .. baba 80
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by three: 10:30am On Jul 26, 2017
They say this when the government of the day no longer favours them.

What has 'changed' between now and 2015?

Politicians like this with age and a modicum of integrity are sometimes more dangerous than the Tinubus and Melayes. They are insidious!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by Isoko1stSon(m): 10:57am On Jul 26, 2017
madridguy:
Yes I stand with the removal of the 1999 PDP Constitution to milk the national treasury.

Just Wen I Thought U Wanted To Use Your Brain For Once

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by holakun11: 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
I swear that's a shitty konstitution shocked

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by adekhingz(m): 12:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
cheesy
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by easyfem(m): 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
Some pple will still blame APC 4 diz good nice idea .... Good reason baba Akande

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by magoo10(m): 12:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
the constitution is not only deceptive but criminal and a follow up to the wishes of slave masters and colonials.

5 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by pennywys(m): 12:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
First time I hear an Afonja saying something meaningful, especially an APC stalwart

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by scholes0(m): 12:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
I agree.

1999 constitution = Wuruwuru HausaFulani constitution.

8 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by jennybright(f): 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2017
BIAFRA CONSTITUTION ALL THE WAY.... VERY SOON

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by vecman222(m): 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2017
My love for this pic grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by Rilwayne001: 12:16pm On Jul 26, 2017
grin grin bwaha

Isoko1stSon:

Just Wen I Thought U Wanted To Use Your Brain For Once
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by PointZerom: 12:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
madridguy:

I saw a mad man today at the mkt junction, the way he talked to himself made me know that he's really mad.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by Bigmikedagod(m): 12:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
there's no need to scrape the constitution. Nigeria will never be perfect, just review the damned thing and remove those elements that appear inimical to development.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by toolovely(m): 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2017
this has always been my view. the 1999 constitution is a fraud. and until we jettison it, there will never be any meaningful progress in this Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by nNEOo(m): 12:20pm On Jul 26, 2017
Good but an exercise of futility
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by WOCKHARDI(m): 12:21pm On Jul 26, 2017
This is exactly what I have been campaigning for.
The greatest achievement of the present National Assembly will be to amend our Constitution to include a REFERENDUM to be attended by the SIX GEOPOLITICAL ZONES as the delegates. The referendum will produce the new constitution while the present one subsists in the INTERIM.
But the problem is : Will the present politicians like the governors and the legislators let go of their 'kingdoms' for the new structure?
Yes they can : If " WE THE PEOPLE "prod them with mass protests and demonstrations.
The present foundation/constitution is faulty and lopsided and is already shaking. What will you call someone who continues to build on a defective /faulty foundation? It's better to pull it down and lay a very new solid foundation/constitution where EQUITY and JUSTICE will be the building blocks.

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by desmondokonkwo(m): 12:24pm On Jul 26, 2017
There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place. Regionalism constitution really brought out the best 1999 constitution should be abolished. Pa. Akande where are thou since, this country has being messed up. Oh' my country.
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by ChangetheChange: 12:25pm On Jul 26, 2017
madridguy:

grin grin grin
Ad Zombie
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by sorom4: 12:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
IPOB is a blessing to Nigeria in disguise!!!

It's through their actions that people are talking of restructuring.

God bless Nnamdi Kanu!!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by TundeHashim(m): 12:27pm On Jul 26, 2017
most people passing comments here have practically no knowledge about the constitution. For an heterogeneous country like, the current federal constitution seems perfect. We ain't as diverse as the US or India but those two countries constitutions are older than ours. Probably "Baba" said that for cheap political gains. Besides, there's no constitution in the world that is "money-making". Probably Biafra's constitution might be an exception though... ;Dmost people passing comments here have practically no knowledge about the constitution. For an heterogeneous country like, the current federal constitution seems perfect. We ain't as diverse as the US or India but those two countries constitutions are older than ours. Probably "Baba" said that for cheap political gains. Besides, there's no constitution in the world that is "money-making". Probably Biafra's constitution might be an exception though...
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by Ugik(m): 12:38pm On Jul 26, 2017
no country in the world has ever had its constitution totally overhauled..the only thing that can be done is an amendment.the only time a constitution has ever been written afresh is during the creation of the universe by God
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by Dasgoro: 12:43pm On Jul 26, 2017
#Scrap1999Constitution

Let engage in this conversation
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by positivetaught: 12:50pm On Jul 26, 2017
Yes the present constitution is flawed but what Akande is asking for is impossible,the amendments may not be far reaching but commendable as gradually we may get there,I strongly support restructuring n I feel this is the opportunity kanu,Ipob,gbo's n all the agitators should seize to realistically achieve a reasonable political bargain in Nigeria. Ipob n the agitators can clandestinely forward their demands to their national Assembly caucuses while openly agitating seriously, the caucuses will push for the passage of the demands at the national level then just when the amendments are to be sent to the States the agitators will publicly praised the efforts if the national assembly while deciding to wait n see if the States assemblies would be reasonable to vote for a positive change I.e engaged in political brinkmanship to force the north to accept restructuring. Already the north is showing signs of resistance to the amendments. I'm truly afraid that the way KANU is going about his demand for Biafra might Lead to defeat of a good cause, n that would be a monumental disaster.
Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by spartan117(m): 12:51pm On Jul 26, 2017
Every thing concerning sharia and Islam must be removed from d constitution, and nigeria must leave every islamic international body that it is a member of. Nigeria is not an islamic state the jihadists have failed

2 Likes

Re: Restructuring: The 1999 Constitution Should Be Scrapped - Bisi Akande by spartan117(m): 12:52pm On Jul 26, 2017
madridguy:
Oga shutup Stop embarassing urself In public

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari To Receive The 2018 Budget Tomorrow - Saraki / Obasanjo,ibb And Rugged Man Tweet About Bishop Oyedepo Opening The Gate Of Hell / Bandits Kill One In Gurmana, Kidnap 10 People; Set Houses Ablaze, Rustle Cattle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.