Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,750 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 - Travel (384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (827986 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 3:15am On Dec 12, 2017
[quote author=Lemia post=63198674]Hi guys, I've been going through this thread for a while now but now I need advice on certain issues.
I'm planning to study by Fall-2018

1. I secured a supervisor at the University of Waterloo to study Systems Design Engineering (masc) and he agreed to fund my studies. I'm a First Class graduate of University of Ibadan. At this stage, what are my chances of getting admission and what must I do to make it happen.

2. I got a professor at the University of Toronto who said he only has funding for top applicants but looking at my profile, I'm clearly a top applicant but his final decision will be based on several things. The question is I have money to apply to only 2 schools. Is it smart to apply to UofT based on this current statement from the supervisor? Considering it's a very competitive school.

If yes, what do I do to ensure I get accepted by him and admitted.
If no I'll have to continue emailing supervisors because I've not gotten any elsewhere and deadlines are fast approaching.

Thanks a bunch for the much

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 3:16am On Dec 12, 2017
Lemia:
Hi guys, I've been going through this thread for a while now but now I need advice on certain issues.

1. I secured a supervisor at the University of Waterloo to study Systems Design Engineering (masc) and he agreed to fund my studies. I'm a First Class graduate of University of Ibadan. At this stage, what are my chances of getting admission and what must I do to make it happen.

2. I got a professor at the University of Toronto who said he only has funding for top applicants but looking at my profile, I'm clearly a top applicant but his final decision will be based on several things. The question is I have money to apply to only 2 schools. Is it smart to apply to UofT based on this current statement from the supervisor? Considering it's a very competitive school.

If no I'll have to continue emailing supervisors because I've not gotten any elsewhere and deadlines are fast approaching.

Thanks a bunch for the much anticipated helpful responses.

Waterloo is strong on the engineering side. Waterloo grads dominate even in silicon valley. Toronto is expensive to live
Consider that. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 4:39am On Dec 12, 2017
Lemia:
Hi guys, I've been going through this thread for a while now but now I need advice on certain issues.

You are applying to two great schools, one a first tier the other a second tier. It looks like you are going to get into Waterloo the second tier school if the supervisor said already that he will fund your studies. But do not attach too much faith in it as no one professor enjoys such monopoly in making admission decision. What this simply means is that he probably sits on the admission committee and going to put in the good words for you when the committee meets to makes it funding and admission decision. It's possible you get it, it's possible you don't. I know a person on this forum who was promised funding by a supervisor only at the end of the day, for the professor to recant his promise. But with a first class, sounds to me that you are more likely than not not to get into Waterloo. Makes sure you write strong statement of intent and research proposal.

Concerning Toronto, it is first tier school, probably one of the most competitive place to get into in Canada. It and McGill. You might also want to look at McGill. If you can only afford to pay application fees to only two schools, McGill has a waiver of the application fee. But only after you have paid it first. Lol. You can request a waiver of the application fee that you have paid at McGill based on financial hardship.

Lastly, don't apply only to first tier schools. They see many first class applicant and turn them away. You can distinguish yourself among top applicants by what you have to say about yourself. Your statement of intent and strength of your research proposal defines winners among an equally qualified applicant pool. That is what the professor at Toronto meant by his decision would be based on several things. I am not too positive that you can get into Toronto as I do that you can get into Waterloo. So the need to spread your tentacles and look more.

My advice is to keep emailing professors at second tier schools. University of Calgary, University of Ottawa, etc. Burrow more money if you can to pay application fees to two other places. Don't put all eggs in one basket just to be safe at the end of the day. Better to be safe than sorry. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Lemia(m): 6:28am On Dec 12, 2017
jnyuwa02:

You are applying to two great schools, one a first tier the other a second tier. It looks like you are going to get into Waterloo the second tier school if the supervisor said already that he will fund your studies. But do not attach too much faith in it as no one professor enjoys such monopoly in making admission decision. What this simply means is that he probably sits on the admission committee and going to put in the good words for you when the committee meets to makes it funding and admission decision. It's possible you get it, it's possible you don't. I know a person on this forum who was promised funding by a supervisor only at the end of the day, for the professor to recant his promise. But with a first class, sounds to me that you are more likely than not not to get into Waterloo. Makes sure you write strong statement of intent and research proposal.

Concerning Toronto, it is first tier school, probably one of the most competitive place to get into in Canada. It and McGill. You might also want to look at McGill. If you can only afford to pay application fees to only two schools, McGill has a waiver of the application fee. But only after you have paid it first. Lol. You can request a waiver of the application fee that you have paid at McGill based on financial hardship.

Lastly, don't apply only to first tier schools. They see many first class applicant and turn them away. You can distinguish yourself among top applicants by what you have to say about yourself. Your statement of intent and strength of your research proposal defines winners among an equally qualified applicant pool. That is what the professor at Toronto meant by his decision would be based on several things. I am not too positive that you can get into Toronto as I do that you can get into Waterloo. So the need to spread your tentacles and look more.

My advice is to keep emailing professors at second tier schools. University of Calgary, University of Ottawa, etc. Burrow more money if you can to pay application fees to two other places. Don't put all eggs in one basket just to be safe at the end of the day. Better to be safe than sorry. I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for your well curated response. I'll consider emailing more supervisors.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Lemia(m): 6:29am On Dec 12, 2017
ogirl1:

Waterloo is strong on the engineering side. Waterloo grads dominate even in silicon valley. Toronto is expensive to live
Consider that. Cheers

Nice tips. I'll put those into consideration. Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by HiredGames(m): 7:32am On Dec 12, 2017
Lemia, let me add my 2 cents as I know a thing or two about Canada school ranking.

I really don't know how Tier 1 or Tier 2 universities are named but University of Waterloo is a top school. Ranks in the top 150 universities in the world and Number 7 in Canada. Their engineering programs however is ranked second "only" to University of Toronto.

Like Jnyuwa02 said, don't apply to only two schools, especially when they are the top two ranked engineering universities in Canada. Your first class, although "very" juicy and attractive may not be enough.

I'd advice you play it safe. Apply to some other schools (Possibly Alberta and Calgary).

Good luck getting the attention of Potential supervisors there.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Abacino007(m): 7:39am On Dec 12, 2017
Good morning wonderful people.

Pls B+ in Canadian school is equivalent to which grade point in Nigeria?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Lagos2canna: 8:07am On Dec 12, 2017
Lagos2canna:
@jnyuwa02 i was the one that sent you message about the draft. Thanks
Brotherly please assist me, i sent you a mail.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 8:37am On Dec 12, 2017
jnyuwa02:

Well said!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Lemia(m): 8:38am On Dec 12, 2017
HiredGames:
Lemia, let me add my 2 cents as I know a thing or two about Canada school ranking.

I really don't know how Tier 1 or Tier 2 universities are named but University of Waterloo is a top school. Ranks in the top 150 universities in the world and Number 7 in Canada. Their engineering programs however is ranked second "only" to University of Toronto.

Like Jnyuwa02 said, don't apply to only two schools, especially when they are the top two ranked engineering universities in Canada. Your first class, although "very" juicy and attractive may not be enough.

I'd advice you play it safe. Apply to some other schools (Possibly Alberta and Calgary).

Good luck getting the attention of Potential supervisors there.

Thank you very much boss. I'll consider your advice
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 12, 2017
Lemia:

To spread your risk, you can apply to one or two top-ranked schools, one or two medium-ranked schools and two safe schools (low-ranked schools). This is to increase your chances of getting "funding" too. Admission plus funding is the real deal. wink

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Kemdy97: 9:08am On Dec 12, 2017
Kemdy97:
Please help a brother

I was refused a study visa for Bsc.. University of Manitoba.. Mech Eng.. As at September

I already had an OND in building tech but was advised not to reveal it in my first application.. Which I think was d cause of my refusal as therr was no tangible explanation for d 4yrs gap after secondary school.

Now am about applying again... And am thinking if telling about my OND this tyme is gonna cause trouble since I already ticked no in my last application

Secondly..how profitable is doing a pdg in Canada incase I decide to finalise my HND here in naija and den come over for pdg... Is it gonna be easy to apply for another study permit for MSc over there.... Please I patiently await ur responses.. God bless you all

Please oooh... Sumone should be respond to me.... Our elders please help we d novice!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by patra91: 10:57am On Dec 12, 2017
Hello house please how do i apply for my GCMS notes. i tried to use the link but i didn't understand it. Thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by kylexy61(m): 11:15am On Dec 12, 2017
Hello guys, I have been following this thread for a while. It took a very long time to catch up. I am planning to pursue my masters degree in Canada. I graduate with first class (and as the best student in my class) in my undergraduate degree.

I have secured a professor at York University for the MASc Civil Engineering program. I know that applying to just one university is not a good strategy. But I'm having a hard time securing professors from other universities. I want to apply to University of British Columbia and Uni of Toronto. Both schools stated on their Civil Engineering website that applicants do not need to contact any prospective supervisor before applying. I nevertheless contacted some of their professors and they all told me they don't choose their students before they apply.

I have not received any response from any other professor in any other university. Currently I am planning to apply to York, UBC and UofT but I still don't feel comfortable since UBC and UofT are quite competitive.

Can you guys give any suggestions, I have enough money to apply to about 5 universities.

edit: I am applying for the Fall 2018 semester.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by holythug(m): 11:43am On Dec 12, 2017
thanks bro...but the requirements for the express entry isn't as easy as you make it sound o.....
Osemigho:

It may be irrelevant to your question but I will advise you keep your admission and apply for Permanent Residency through express entry. You stand better visa chances, less fees, more scholarship opportunities, etc.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 12, 2017
kylexy61:
Hello guys, I have been following this thread for a while. It took a very long time to catch up.

I have not received any response from any other professor in any other university. Currently I am planning to apply to York, UBC and UofT but I still don't feel comfortable since UBC and UofT are quite competitive.

Can you guys give any suggestions, I have enough money to apply to about 5 universities.

You can check the following schools (check their admission requirements).

McMaster University

University of Waterloo

University of Calgary

Queens University

University of Ottawa

Concordia University
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 12, 2017
holythug:
thanks ...but the requirements for the express entry isn't as easy as you make it sound o.....

Join the Express Entry thread. It is a very straightforward and easy process.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by holythug(m): 12:11pm On Dec 12, 2017
Assist with links please, thanks

GlitteringStar:

Join the Express Entry thread. It is a very straightforward and easy process.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 12, 2017
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by buggi102kruse: 12:36pm On Dec 12, 2017
Grtins to the house
Pls house I have written to many potential supervisors it's either their lab is filled or no response at all. My questions are:
1.can I apply for MSc program in Engineering without the permission of a supervisor?
2. Has anybody done this and still got admission
If yes! My cgpa is just 3.91 don't know if it can earn me schools like Regina, Ottawa, Alberta and sask. I think I can afford App fee for about 4 schs but it will be too bad to waste all that money if they turn negative.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by holythug(m): 12:38pm On Dec 12, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by WEIRDPC(m): 1:03pm On Dec 12, 2017
buggi102kruse:
Grtins to the house
Pls house I have written to many potential supervisors it's either their lab is filled or no response at all. My questions are:
1.can I apply for MSc program in Engineering without the permission of a supervisor?
2. Has anybody done this and still got admission
If yes! My cgpa is just 3.91 don't know if it can earn me schools like Regina, Ottawa, Alberta and sask. I think I can afford App fee for about 4 schs but it will be too bad to waste all that money if they turn negative.

Just like the bosses have stated on this thread on numerous occasions, securing admission is not all about getting a prospective supervisor, other things are considered such as your statement of purpose, your referee's report, your CGPA. No single Professor holds the right to give admission. He can only put in good words for you on the admission committee.

So do well to apply to low ranking schools and middle ranking schools with a well packaged all round application.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by foreverkind1(m): 1:22pm On Dec 12, 2017
[quote author=ogirl1 post=63201415]
Naso them like book reach for canada ,even with 1st class ,you are still secured of securing admission and funding ,wetin make we weh finish with 2.1 do,not strong 2.1 but 3.7 grin grin grin
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Ladon7: 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2017
good day, pls which university in canada can i apply to for a phd program in chemistry
my bsc cgpa is 3.0/5 (2.2) and msc is cgpa 4.4/5(2.1) most schools am seeeing require like a nigeria 2.1 for bsc .
I av two journal publications and a conference paper .
kindly suggest any school plsssss
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Ladon7: 1:28pm On Dec 12, 2017
pls can u give the list of those schools?

WEIRDPC:

Just like the bosses have stated on this thread on numerous occasions, securing admission is not all about getting a prospective supervisor, other things are considered such as your statement of purpose, your referee's report, your CGPA. No single Professor holds the right to give admission. He can only put in good words for you on the admission committee.

So do well to apply to low ranking schools and middle ranking schools with a well packaged all round application.

Best wishes
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Beauty4rmwithin: 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2017
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by HiredGames(m): 4:21pm On Dec 12, 2017
Well Well Well

The thread is finally moving as many fall 2018 admission contenders and pretenders are coming out of hiding. Nice smiley smiley

If you're just starting you hustling for admission against fall 2018 you may need to move FAST so as not to get left out of the party.

Last time I checked, below are how Universities in Canada Ranked.

1. University of Toronto
2. McGill University
3. University of British Colombia
4. University of Alberta
5. Universite de Montreal
6. Mc Master University
7. University of Waterloo
8. Western University
9. University of Calgary
10. Queens University
11. Simon Fraser University
12. Dalhousie University
13. University of Ottawa
14. University of Victoria
15. Laval University
16. Concordia University
17. York University
18. University of Saskatchewan
19. University of Guelph
20. Universite du Quebec

Choose wisely and intelligently. Canadian universities are attracting attention from everywhere. It'd surprise you the 20th placed school will bounce your "strong 2.1" if you don't do your homework.

It's funny how you can easily gain admission to a UK university (possibly ranked in the top 200 in the world) and get bounced by an "unranked" (outside the top 1000 universities in the world) school in Canada. I won't laugh because it's not funny sad

Like GlitteringStar advised already, spread your risk, apply to one or two top-ranked schools, one or two medium-ranked schools and two safe schools (low-ranked schools). This is to increase your chances of getting "funding" too. Admission plus funding is the real deal. wink

For students (like me) that just want that admission irrespective of funding, well you may want to consider the schools below.

1. Memorial University of Newfoundland (Tuition ~ $5,800CAD)
2. Simon Fraser (~$6,000CAD)
3. University of Alberta (~$10,000CAD)
4. University of Calgary (~$17,000CAD)
5. University of Saskatchewan (~$5,800CAD)
6. University of Manitoba (~$12,000CAD for the two years)
7. University of Victoria (~$5,428CAD)
8. University of New Brunswick (~$10,000CAD)
9. York University (~$14,000CAD)
10. University of Regina (~$10,000CAD)

PS: The above figures are not fact but a result of my extensive search.......so please, refer to the school website for exact figures before you pay application fee for a school you can't afford tuition.

I am in the race like ya'll are, so please reduce the DM cheesy I don't know anything. I hope we get that much needed admission and VISA.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 12, 2017
HiredGames:

Nice! It will surely end in praise for us all.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by WEIRDPC(m): 4:44pm On Dec 12, 2017
HiredGames:
Well Well Well

The thread is finally moving as many fall 2018 admission contenders and pretenders are coming out of hiding. Nice smiley smiley

If you're just starting you hustling for admission against fall 2018 you may need to move FAST so as not to get left out of the party.

Last time I checked, below are how Universities in Canada Ranked.

1. University of Toronto
2. McGill University
3. University of British Colombia
4. University of Alberta
5. Universite de Montreal
6. Mc Master University
7. University of Waterloo
8. Western University
9. University of Calgary
10. Queens University
11. Simon Fraser University
12. Dalhousie University
13. University of Ottawa
14. University of Victoria
15. Laval University
16. Concordia University
17. York University
18. University of Saskatchewan
19. University of Guelph
20. Universite du Quebec

Choose wisely and intelligently. Canadian universities are attracting attention from everywhere. It'd surprise you the 20th placed school will bounce your "strong 2.1" if you don't do your homework.

It's funny how you can easily gain admission to a UK university (possibly ranked in the top 200 in the world) and get bounced by an "unranked" (outside the top 1000 universities in the world) school in Canada. I won't laugh because it's not funny sad

Like GlitteringStar advised already, spread your risk, apply to one or two top-ranked schools, one or two medium-ranked schools and two safe schools (low-ranked schools). This is to increase your chances of getting "funding" too. Admission plus funding is the real deal. wink

For students (like me) that just want that admission irrespective of funding, well you may want to consider the schools below.

PS: The above figures are not fact but a result of my extensive search.......so please, refer to the school website for exact figures before you pay application fee for a school you can't afford tuition.

I am in the race like ya'll are, so please reduce the DM cheesy I don't know anything. I hope we get that much needed admission and VISA.

Also note that the tuition may vary with your level of admission. What I mean is MASC will differ from MEng. So Also MBA. Be sure to do your research well. The number of terms per year may also vary. All this information can be gotten on your prospective school website.

Thanks Hiredgames

cc: Ladon7
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:28pm On Dec 12, 2017
HiredGames:
Well Well

Some of this values are not so accurate , might be fee for home student but not for international student

No 1 missing almost 3,000 for international
No 5 is almost triple that for international
No 10 missing about 1,000

And those were the only three i checked but thanks for listing it as it can serve as a guide

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Josh1996: 5:42pm On Dec 12, 2017
Does Canadian embassy conduct interview to grant student visa like the US embassy?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 12, 2017
is it possible to be offered full scholarship in a top ranked university ??
2) What are the criterias 3) Is there any disadvantage to it ??
Thanks for answers

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (501)

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.