Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,254 members, 7,829,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness (1804 Views)

16 Ebonyi Top Officials Lose Sept Salaries For Lateness / Ekiti Workers Beg Fayose For Lateness (new Photos) / Governor’s Office Workers In Calabar Locked-Out For Lateness (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Beaf: 1:01am On Feb 09, 2010
[size=14pt]Jonathan locks out Maduekwe, Babalola for lateness[/size]
By Ihuoma Chiedozie, Abuja, Published: Tuesday, 9 Feb 2010

Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan, once again, on Monday showed glimpse of what could be expected from him when he fully takes charge of government by locking out two ministers from a meeting for coming late.

The two ministers, Foreign Affairs Minister, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, and Power Minister, Dr. Lanre Babalola, arrived late for a meeting between a Federal Government team led by the vice-president, and a delegation of the management of the European Investment Bank.

The meeting was scheduled for 1pm.

Maduekwe was late by 15 minutes, while Babalola arrived 20 minutes behind schedule.

Maduekwe was visibly stunned when he got to the door of the Vice-President’s Conference Room, only to be informed by the security orderlies at the post that he would not be allowed to enter.

Maduekwe had to solicit the assistance of the vice-president’s Chief Security Officer before he could be admitted to the meeting.

He was overheard explaining that he was informed of the meeting on the telephone just about five minutes to its commencement.

Babalola suffered a similar fate when he arrived five minutes after Maduekwe entered.

On his part, Babalola explained that he was not aware of the meeting until he was informed about it through a telephone call just about 10 minutes before it was scheduled to commence.

He was also allowed to enter the conference room after explaining himself to the Vice-President’s CSO.

This is the second time Jonathan would bar ministers for lateness.

In the first instance, he shelved a scheduled meeting of the Economic Management Team because some principal participants, including the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr. Odein Ajumogobia, were late.

The incident led to an unusual punctuality in attendance at the next day’s Federal Executive Council meeting as ministers rushed to avoid Jonathan’s wrath.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201002094355025
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Seun(m): 1:06am On Feb 09, 2010
Good!
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Beaf: 1:33am On Feb 09, 2010
I hope this level of discipline does not change after a few months.
I would have loved to see Maduekwe's face, he is is the same type as Aondoakaa.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by mamagee3(f): 1:35am On Feb 09, 2010
What else can I say than they both got what they deserved.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by sjeezy8: 1:42am On Feb 09, 2010
hopefully he presides over Nigeria well in the next months and uses it to ride through 2011 elections.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by safariman(m): 1:50am On Feb 09, 2010
To be fair to these two guys, and I am not a fan of Maduweke, (he is as worthless as Aondoakaa) but being notified of a meeting within 10 minutes of the meeting with an European Investment Bank by phone does not seem that there is enough or appropriate time to have this on their respective schedule.  Also, wouldn't or shouldn't Maduweke be involved in any arrangement with any foreign companies/government/investors that are trying to do business with Nigeria?
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Beaf: 2:01am On Feb 09, 2010
safariman:

To be fair to these two guys, and I am not a fan of Maduweke, (he is as worthless as Aondoakaa) but being notified of a meeting within 10 minutes of the meeting with an European Investment Bank by phone does not seem that there is enough or appropriate time to have this on their respective schedule.  Also, wouldn't or shouldn't Maduweke be involved in any arrangement with any foreign companies/government/investors that are trying to do business with Nigeria?

That might be the only reason he and Babalola were let in.
As I said earlier, I hope this level of discipline is carried forward and is not just to catch attention.
. . .We be watching.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Pifa: 5:28am On Feb 09, 2010
I was beginning to praise the Vice President until I read the reason the two ministers gave for their tardiness. If the newspaper reported correctly that the ministers were informed minutes before the meeting, then I'd have to disagree that it showed Mr. Jonathan's discipline. I thought it was insensitive and disrespectful to give a minister just ten minutes to arrive at an unscheduled meeting that was not a state emergency.

I would imagine that ministers have daily itineraries and are not just sitting on their rear waiting to be called at the VP’s behest. Even the CEO of my company would have his secretary schedule a meeting with me based on my availability. If he always had to summon me 10 minutes before an unscheduled meeting, then he had to realize that I would be either late or I would keep interrupting important projects to attend to him.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by mafioso2(m): 6:04am On Feb 09, 2010
Pifa:

I was beginning to praise the Vice President until I read the reason the two ministers gave for their tardiness. If the newspaper reported correctly that t[b]he ministers were informed minutes before the meeting[/b], then I'd have to disagree that it showed Mr. Jonathan's discipline. I thought it was insensitive and disrespectful to [b]give a minister just ten minutes to arrive [/b]at an unscheduled meeting that was not a state emergency.

I would imagine that ministers have daily itineraries and are not just sitting on their rear waiting to be called at the VP’s behest. Even the CEO of my company would have his secretary schedule a meeting with me based on my availability. If he always had to summon me 10 minutes before an unscheduled meeting, then he had to realize that I would be either late or I would keep interrupting important projects to attend to him.

And you believe that crap?
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by safeact(m): 6:25am On Feb 09, 2010
If he can luck out d ministers then why cant he take d bull by d horn?
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Beaf: 6:27am On Feb 09, 2010
Pifa:

I was beginning to praise the Vice President until I read the reason the two ministers gave for their tardiness. If the newspaper reported correctly that the ministers were informed minutes before the meeting, then I'd have to disagree that it showed Mr. Jonathan's discipline. I thought it was insensitive and disrespectful to give a minister just ten minutes to arrive at an unscheduled meeting that was not a state emergency.

It is impossible for a meeting between Nigerian officials and a delegation of the management of the European Investment Bank would have been impromptu. It is also impossible that the ministers wouldn't have known about such an important matter in their area of jurisdiction. It is most likely that they were given a call 10 minutes before time to ask why they hadn't yet arrived.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Chuksaluta(m): 7:27am On Feb 09, 2010
I love that
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Godalone(m): 7:54am On Feb 09, 2010
Pifa:

Abi o,
The two ministers were economical with the truth by telling us that they were only called 10 minutes before the meeting.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Pifa: 7:55am On Feb 09, 2010
mafioso2:

And you believe that crap?

I said, "If the newspaper reported correctly. . .  "

That sentence has a meaning and a connotation.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Afam(m): 8:48am On Feb 09, 2010
Beaf:

The incident led to an unusual punctuality in attendance at the next day’s Federal Executive Council meeting as ministers rushed to avoid Jonathan’s wrath.

Can someone that understands english language explain the reproduced content above to me?

I have been trying to read meaning into this without success.

I don't think the content makes any sense since the FEC meeting won't be happening unti tomorrow.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Imeobong(m): 9:05am On Feb 09, 2010
In the first instance, he shelved a scheduled meeting of the Economic Management Team because some principal participants, including the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr. Odein Ajumogobia, were late.

Afam:

Can someone that understands english language explain the reproduced content above to me?

I have been trying to read meaning into this without success.

I don't think the content makes any sense since the FEC meeting won't be happening unti tomorrow.

this happened I think last week or so, read the first paragraph above you will understand it more
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by MrCrackles(m): 9:10am On Feb 09, 2010
Jonathan acting all tough all of a sudden shocked shocked shocked grin
This is serious. . . .
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Afam(m): 9:16am On Feb 09, 2010
Imeobong:

this happened I think last week or so, read the first paragraph above you will understand it more

Thanks for that. Thought that was another nollywood home video script.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Kx: 9:40am On Feb 09, 2010
Even if it is just a charade,it is still commendable that Goodluck
can "show" some traits of leadership-discipline.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by slap1(m): 10:03am On Feb 09, 2010
Lekwa Goodluck Jonathan o!
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 09, 2010
jonathan don dey get liver o.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by desthan(m): 12:09pm On Feb 09, 2010
he bera brace up, cuz we need drastic moves n decision to move this nation to the next level.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by blacksta(m): 12:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
I am not moved by the locking out of ministers because as far the masses are concerned the action does not translate to improved standard of living . The move is just a show of ego's and i am sorry to say it ends there.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by slap1(m): 12:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
^^ sorry for u , too.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by blacksta(m): 12:35pm On Feb 09, 2010
slap1:

^^ sorry for u , too.

why now - I hope you mean sorry for Nigeria
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by otawa: 12:39pm On Feb 09, 2010
On his part, Babalola explained that he was not aware of the meeting until he was informed about it through a telephone call just about 10 minutes before it was scheduled to commence.

crap. who schedule a meeting within 10mins and expect everyone to be physically present?

when the same 'Ministers' start chasing you with siren off the road you will start to complain.

Point: This Goodluck needs better 'meeting planning'.

every Minister do not need to be around but if they need to, proper information should be communicated well ahead of time.

GoodLuck should rather tell us what happened to $2million EFCC caught with his wife in 2007 in MM airport.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by slap1(m): 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2010
@Blacksta. I don't think it ends there.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Seun(m): 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2010
If the meeting was scheduled within 10 minutes, how come the other ministers were there?
How come they were all punctual during the next meeting? Why do we tolerate excuses??
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by OvieE: 2:18pm On Feb 09, 2010
Good Job future president. That's how we know a good leader is serious about business.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by Fhemmmy: 2:22pm On Feb 09, 2010
This is a good news.
Meaning they will be at work and on time too.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by olafolarin(m): 2:26pm On Feb 09, 2010
Seun:

If the meeting was scheduled within 10 minutes, how come the other ministers were there?
How come they were all punctual during the next meeting? Why do we tolerate excuses??[/quote

Remi Babalola amd Maduekwe must be specal ministers even though they've both faild woefully in their respective portfolio.
They are all notified way ahead of the meeting.I just hope Jonathan will straighten these flagrant ministers up a bit.
Re: Jonathan Locks Out Maduekwe, Babalola For Lateness by joeyfire(m): 2:39pm On Feb 09, 2010
Ara ga gba Ndi ara !!!! Thats the way its done. Very impressive that he's not taking any crap now he's in charge. As for all those jackass ministers and aso rock officials who have looked down on and isolated him all this time,they are going to get burnt if they arent careful. Rilwan Lukman and Aondoakaa better sit up

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checking The Excesses Of Our Politicians / Azubuike Ishiekwene Now Writes For Thisday / Olunloyo: One Brave Yoruba Man Keeping It Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.