Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,450 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? (9431 Views)

What Does This Dream Mean? I Saw My Name Engraved On A Plaque And Then Molten... / What is Sin Against The Holy Spirit That Will Not Be Forgiven?? / Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begs Apostle Suleman: "Please Forgive My Daughter" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Praktikals(m): 10:15am On Jul 30, 2017
Forgiving is enough. Which one is forget again when my 100 terabyte memory card never full.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by MissRaine69(f): 10:20am On Jul 30, 2017
I won't easily forget a moment on my life that caused me a lot of pain, stress and anxiety we are wired that way as humans. I can choose to live with those memories, accept that things happened and opt not to let that particular incident dominate my life. You can opt to forgive or not to forgive the choice is yours closure is what makes you move on with your life.

2 Likes

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by ikevictor: 10:22am On Jul 30, 2017
Forget means don't hold on to the past...

Truth is...no human brain can completely forget a hurtful experience...

Thus, there is no absolute forgiveness cos you unconsciously retain at least 0.1% of the episode in your mind for future reference and decisions.

That's why you here people say, "you did it once, I forgave you, this time I won't"...

1 Like

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by obailala(m): 10:24am On Jul 30, 2017
Adminisher:
"Forgetness" goes with forgiveness. If you have not forgotten you have not forgiven. I have the same issues with some things.
Believe me you are not a good xtian if you don't forget hurts, slights or insults.
Most times we tend to pick the trivial examples when we preach this sermon (e.g. hurts, slights and insults) and we quickly forget we are in a real world where nothing is really that simple.

What if a neighbour or close friend attempts to slit your throat over a little disagreement, if you forgive such a person, do you think it would be possible or even sensible to forget the threat such a person posses to your life?... If such a person even apologises profusely, would you still ever trust such a person with a blade close to your neck?

We need to embrace reality and stop painting an impossible picture of Christianity.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:
There are lots of things that people do to hurt another. The christian leaders preach that we Should always forgiven and forget. In my own case I easily forgive but I don't forget whatever you have done either to hurt or to impress me.

Does the fact that I don't forget mean I have not forgiven the person that hurt me.

Is it even possible to forget?

Forget their usual traps na and see how you will die like fowl the next time. #GentleStupidity

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Princewell2012(m): 10:33am On Jul 30, 2017
WeNoGoDie:

Forget simply means don't habour hatred or revenge after you have forgiven. It doesn't mean you won't have the mental memories from time to time.

For me I even choose to keep those memories to keep myself on guard when relating with the same person after I've forgiven him/her. Why?... because you find out that people form habits and usually don't change easily even if they want to or are truely sorry.

The implications is that the offense is bound to repeat and even in greater damaging proportion as is seen in most real life cases.

So if you keep the memory, you are able to caution the fellow when you see it happening again or you're able to take all precautions to stop it from happening.

Example is a beloved relative that steals habitually and apologies afterwards all because he has access to your room because of trust.

I wanted to say something but after i read yout post i decided to move on

You have said it all. Nothing more to add. God bless you.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by bellotaofeek: 10:39am On Jul 30, 2017
cool

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by kennies12(m): 10:43am On Jul 30, 2017
Sometimes people talk as though they are not humans! Anytime I hear this, it baffles me a lot.

The activity of that human person that keeps record of events is life itself.... for you to forget easily means u ve a problem with your mental system. This explains while one still recalls past events that happened years ago.

Now, "Forgive and forget" is a figurative expression that means sth different from not just "remembering". The forgetting so used here means " forgive and dont use it against that person ever again!

There is no way a right thinking, psychologically sound, mentally stable human being ll forgive somebody and then goes ahead to forget they very event that happened..... (as in not remembering where, when and how it happened)

This does not mean one hasn't forgiving but rather even though he or she may ve forgiven, he/she must still exercise his or her humanity of remembering events without which there is an abnormality somewhere.

so I want to make is clear here that people shd stop misunderstanding these things as it relates to forgiveness.

1 Like

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by femi4: 10:48am On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:
There are lots of things that people do to hurt another. The christian leaders preach that we Should always forgiven and forget. In my own case I easily forgive but I don't forget whatever you have done either to hurt or to impress me.

Does the fact that I don't forget mean I have not forgiven the person that hurt me.

Define forget?

It means rendering support/assistance to someone that once hurt you. If you refuse to help based on what he/she did in the past, that means you did not FORGET

It has nothing to do with your memories
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by phantom24: 10:50am On Jul 30, 2017
To foeget in this context means.." Letting go of the grieve or thoughts of which you where offended" its only a dead brain that forgets significant events completely. I think its more dangerous to forget.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by bid4rich(m): 10:54am On Jul 30, 2017
Your forgiving nature is OK by God and its acceptable.

Lets me tell you what I know about the 'forget' aspect. It is not possible to forget some of the things people has done to you especially if it is a painful experience. But to the best of my knowledge, forgiving and to forget to hand in hand. To forget simply means to forget what the person has done by resuming your normal daily life with the person.

Lets say you are giving the person some benefits before the offence, to forget means to resume those benefit the person used to enjoy from you as if nothing has happened. Though in memory you will remember but in kindness, you have forgotten about it and that is what Jesus did for us on the cross.

He made us to appear before God as if we have never sin. That is what He did displayed on the cross by forgiving the thief. He did so by setting the prostitute that was to be stoned by the religious leader free and many more. Not that Jesus didnt remember but He chose to forget their act and focus on meeting their need. No matter how many times you have sinned, Jesus will choose to forget any time you come to Him for forgiveness by still blessing you. That is what He expect from us too.

I think this will help our spiritual life a little
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Alitair(m): 10:58am On Jul 30, 2017
Forgive but don't forget.
If you forgive, u bear no further grudges against the offender.. No vengance in mind.
If you forget, u keep making the same mistake over and over again....
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Amakxy: 10:59am On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:

. The bible preaches about forgiveness and not amnesia. To err is human to forgive is divine. Some traumatic experiences are better forgiven but not forgotten, that way you know how best to relate wt such if it ever occurs again. That way you can find closure and inner peace.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by redsun(m): 11:06am On Jul 30, 2017
How about suggesting that politicians and police pay from their loots and egunje? Prostitution can be managed and turned into a viable economic activity that could be relatively safe and productive.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by mayormick(m): 11:11am On Jul 30, 2017
I can definitely forgive but it may be impossible to forget. As a matter of fact, forgetting can make it possible for dat person to do same thing to u again. In short not forgetting safeguard u against d person doing same to u. Hmm..it may be foolish from ur side to forget o
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by aniyphil: 11:19am On Jul 30, 2017
Truth be told . . .you can forgive but never forget . . .except you call 'Captain Man' of 'Henry Danger' fame to bring his memory wiper and do the needful . . .anything short of this means you are stuck with that memory for life ! . . .It is not like you wouldn't want to forget . . .but the brain works the way it was created and no one can change that undecided
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by jabatah(m): 11:28am On Jul 30, 2017
As forgotten ur sin doesn't mean u are forgiven.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by mylove4God(f): 11:41am On Jul 30, 2017
Forgive and let it go is preferable because to forget is almost impossible even if you want to really forget. Letting it go means that you still remember the wrong but have prevented it taking control of you.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Chukazu: 12:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
Where does the Bible teaches to "forgive and forget"?

A human brain is wired to remember every activities that happens in one's lifetime...so how can you forget?

"Forgive your Enemies but don't Forget their name"...John F.Kennedy
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by itsloba: 12:53pm On Jul 30, 2017
To forgive and forget is divine... Only God can do tht, we are human to forgv and forget may be impossible
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Alliteration: 1:18pm On Jul 30, 2017
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by jacyhelen(f): 2:30pm On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:

only God forgets simple.!!!!
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by divalindiway(f): 3:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
What if I forgive and don't want to have anything to do with that person ever again so I can forget the pain . Does it justify Forgiving and Forgetting?
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by sircrabo: 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2017
It is not possible to forget completely. even if you claim to forget, if the person makes same or similar mistake you will remember what happened in the past. You forgive and let go.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by flakeStar: 3:57pm On Jul 30, 2017
Forgive and forget is not written or recorded any where in the Bible, a lot of us assume it is but the good book only asks us to forgive with the assumption that you will forgive as time passes and you heal. When people hurt you and you forget you are only setting yourself up to be hurt again so it makes sense to be guarded once you have been hurt once
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by fynex(m): 4:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:

Forgetting isn't really possible....

But I think forgetting deals in this context.....
Repeatedly using it every time to that person you claim to have forgiven....

Forgiving and forgetting is also lirk like forgiving and letting go and not using it against the person or as a reminder in the future.... Because the moment you make reference to that it simply shows you haven't forgotten
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by bamisepeters(m): 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:

this is one bitter truth, only the person without brain will forget something that is done against you. Religious leaders will say what they have to say because that is what they must say, it is left for you to pick the one meant for you. Even a pastor will still remember the offense against him of 10 years ago. Even spirit find it difficult to forget let alone human being, forgiveness is normal, we only pretend when it comes to forgetting as we cannot forget, we can only disallow the effect of not forgetting an evil done against us.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by AlfaAce(m): 4:45pm On Jul 30, 2017
divalindiway:
What if I forgive and don't want to have anything to do with that person ever again so I can forget the pain . Does it justify Forgiving and Forgetting?
This is exactly what I do.I stay away fr om people who have hurt me significantly.Nobody fit talk sotey make me feel like sey I no be human being!

1 Like

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by achorladey: 5:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
In the bible the hebrew word translated "remember" can mean more than just to recall the past. It can mean to "act" Thus to remember can mean to act. Hence when jehovah says of a repentant sinner that his sins will not be remembered against him, He is sayingthat he will not thereafter "act" against the indidvidual because of those sins, such as by accusing or punishing them.
So to not forget sins or forget sins means the actions you take against the sinner eventually when you remember such sins.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Tobechuckwu(m): 5:45pm On Jul 30, 2017
axeman10:
My understanding of "forget" is 'don't use what you have forgiven to act or judge the person in your future dealings'.
Give the other party an opportunity to start on a clean slate else you'll always be suspicious which will not be healthy for the relationship, be it business, friendship family...etc..that's the "forgetting".
But it does not mean you erase the initial act entirely from your memory, learn from it should a recurrence happen.
What I don't get about ur own line of thought is the 'opportunity to start on a clean slate' which is usually hard depending on d wrong done to u!
E.g if a guy had stolen sumtin from u b4 nd asked for forgiveness, yea its okay to forgive, but each tym he comes around you have to be extra ordinary careful for such thing not to happen again!
The bible said we should 'watch nd pray'!The word watch means to be vigilant, careful,be guard conscious etc.So anytime d guy shows up u will surely remember wat he did in d first place nd u will be more security conscious dis time around because of what has happened in d past.
This is my view!
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by orunto27: 6:13pm On Jul 30, 2017
Yes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Hymn / Steps To Embracing The New Thing That God Wants To Do In Your Life. / Praying Unclad..........................what Is The Spiritual Significance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.