Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,093 members, 7,835,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? (4389 Views)

What Do Churches Use Tithe, Offerings, Vows, Etc, For? / How "Full-Gospel," PENTECOSTAL Churches Use PAVLOVIAN Psychology To Trap Victims / "The Root Of Christmas Is Demonic" - Pastor Olukoya Of MFM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by bigheart2013(m): 12:59pm On Jul 30, 2017
Please help me understand this:

Why are Yoruba talking drums (Dundun, Gangan) now popular acceptable musical instruments along with other Yoruba traditional musical instruments, in most Pentecostal churches especially Winners and RCCG, such that even Yoruba traditional 'Apala' music is now trending in some of those churches, however, Igbo traditional musical instruments such as the big hollow wooden gong (Ikoro) and popular wooden flute (oja) are treated as satanic, and even burnt by pastors in some occasions?

Any explanation for this double standard by Pentecostal churches?

Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 1:01pm On Jul 30, 2017
Those Igbo drums look like shrine drums.

On a serious note, it's exposure. Some of those Igbo drums aren't easy to beat also getting them is expensive. Yoruba talking drum is like Hausa kalangu, you can easy get a replica in the north.

The bottomline is sell your culture.

You can start a church and start using it

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by bigheart2013(m): 1:17pm On Jul 30, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
Those Igbo drums look like shrine drums.

On a serious note, it's exposure. Some of those Igbo drums aren't easy to beat also getting them is expensive. Yoruba talking drum is like Hausa kalangu, you can easy get a replica in the north.

The bottomline is sell your culture.

You can start a church and start using it

Thanks. But cost is not the reason why some pastors burn them. Is it? Perhaps you are right on "..sell your culture.." part. I saw the very harsh criticisms on a NL post when a Catholic Reverend Father worshiped with those traditional Igbo instruments during a church service and even danced to the beats. I guess the harshest criticisms came from Christians who dance to talking drum praise by Winners, RCCG, etc.
Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 1:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
bigheart2013:

Thanks. But cost is not the reason why some pastors burn them. Is it? Perhaps you are right on "..sell your culture.." part. I saw the very harsh criticisms on a NL post when a Catholic Reverend Father worshiped with those traditional Igbo instruments during a church service and even danced to the beats. I guess the harshest criticisms came from Christians who dance to talking drum praise by Winners, RCCG, etc.

YES!
Sell your culture.

The only place I see the drums is in the shrine or when they beat them for masquerade. Bata, a Yoruba drum for Sango (god of thunder) is now used in the church but drums like Agere, Agidigbo, Igbin, Igba are still restricted to shrines.

Yoruba drums are classified into three:

# Ilu orisa ibile - Drums for local gods n goddess

# Ilu ayeye lorisii risii - Drums for functions and merriment

# Ilu Igbalode - Modern drums.

Agidigbo, Igba, Igbin etc belong to the first group and are never used in the church.

Look for an Igbo drums that are used in marriages, naming, commissioning etc, those can enter church.
Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by cosby02(m): 1:33pm On Jul 30, 2017
Somebody is marginalized again....chai

Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by sorextee(m): 1:40pm On Jul 30, 2017
Not in my own church. We use all instruments there. Even the pics u uploaded above. We use all. My church is even a Hausa church, with the hq In adamawa.
Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by CoolFreeday(m): 2:16pm On Jul 30, 2017
The problem of Nigeria and the people causing problem for us are those who think like this OP.
Re: Why Do Churches Use Yoruba Talking Drums But Treat Igbo 'ikoro' As Demonic? by bigheart2013(m): 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
CoolFreeday:
The problem of Nigeria and the people causing problem for us are those who think like this OP.

Not really sir. It's a great dialogue to have because something prompted the question. Remember the thread on NL sometime ago, where someone alluded that all RCCG's top rank officers are Yorubas alluding that it's a Yoruba church. Thank God someone came on the thread and shed more light why it seemed like that because the church started in South West before it spread to East. So most older (Senior) pastors who joined the church far back can't just be shoved aside to make room for those who came on board much later That was a great insight perhaps to end the grudges many people might have been having.

Always use any opportunity to explain something to people who don't understand rather than dismiss them as mischief-makers. That's not a good leadership style.

(1) (Reply)

God And Natural Disaters / Choir Robe Vs Diffrent Colour Of Clothes For Church Choir. / Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.