Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? (4329 Views)

Sodomy Vs Incest, Which Does God Prefer? / Will It Be Moral To Make Clones For Organ Harvesting? / Does The Moral Law(10 commandments) Remain Against The Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 7:40pm On Jun 26, 2019
So, let's see how this moral question can be effectively treated.

Is incest morally wrong?

If Yes.

Why is it morally wrong?

If, No.

Why?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by tartar9(m): 8:35pm On Jun 26, 2019
Well,if you think homosexuality isnt wrong and support gay rights then incest or bestiality shouldn't be wrong either.Live and let live,isnt it undecided
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by JeromeBlack: 8:49pm On Jun 26, 2019
This is a waste of time. A lot of Nigerians cannot put forward a logical argument.

4 Likes

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Olorunnim: 8:51pm On Jun 26, 2019
Scientifically speaking it's dangerous for the sake of the children such Union begets, But Again it has been in existence since time immemorial Asian middle Eastern And Even some European countries Engage in such acts But for me it's a No No I'm not the judgemental type So I won't condemn or praise Anyone Who engages in such Act,Live and let live.

2 Likes

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 9:40pm On Jun 26, 2019
tartar9:
Well,if you think homosexuality isnt wrong and support gay rights then incest or bestiality shouldn't be wrong either.Live and let live,isnt it undecided

Lol. How is this an argument on your part.

The question was straight forward, bringing homosexuality into it is effectively making a different argument.

So drop that.

Is incest wrong?

If yes, why?

If No, why?

3 Likes

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 9:41pm On Jun 26, 2019
JeromeBlack:
This is a waste of time. A lot of Nigerians cannot put forward a logical argument.

The hope is that they might in the course of tackling such difficult problems, learn to makd logical arguments.

So, do you have a position on the issue raised?

2 Likes

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 9:43pm On Jun 26, 2019
Olorunnim:
Scientifically speaking it's dangerous for the sake of the children such Union begets, But Again it has been in existence since time immemorial Asian middle Eastern And Even some European countries Engage in such acts But for me it's a No No I'm not the judgemental type So I won't condemn or praise Anyone Who engages in such Act,Live and let live.

You didn't really say whether it is right or wrong.

Sounds to me like you were trying to avoid taking a position on the issue.

- Having a moral position isn't same as going against the principle of live lets live - i don't really understand where that statement comes from when moral issues like this is being discussed.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Olorunnim: 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2019
johnydon22:

You didn't really say whether it is right or wrong.

Sounds to me like you were trying to avoid taking a position on the issue.

- Having a moral position isn't same as going against the principle of live lets live - i don't really understand where that statement comes from when moral issues like this is being discussed.
Morality is a fluid subject it's a cultural thing what's seen as moral and okay in my culture may not be in yours And the world is becoming smaller cultures intermingle and ideas are exchanged, So I can't be the one to say what's moral or not Like I said again to me it's a No No.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by StrikeBack(m): 11:21pm On Jun 26, 2019
Arguments are arguments.

Pointless for this type of topic.
Over and out
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 11:21pm On Jun 26, 2019
Olorunnim:
Morality is a fluid subject it's a cultural thing what's seen as moral and okay in my culture may not be in yours And the world is becoming smaller cultures intermingle and ideas are exchanged, So I can't be the one to say what's moral or not
You can actually, social ideas are decided by pockets of isolated subjective beliefs...

So, you definitely can say what you find to be moral or not and why.

Moreover this is more of a philosophical exercise - saying what you think and scrutinizing it.

Like I said again to me it's a No No.
It's immoral then to you?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jun 26, 2019
I think it has to do with numbers and a measure devised to curb or limit sexual immorality.

For instance a man sleeping with his own blood sister is a step closer to a father sleeping with his own daughter.

And there were instances recorded in the Bible where a sister married her brother and it was acceptable, but never a parent sleeping with his own child.

So probably incest being labelled immoral in Mosaic laws is just to reduce the chances of parent-child sex than that between a brother and sister.

For there's a way you'd observe it and see that we're all blood related, so all sex should be incest, but it's not so probably because incest is meant to provide that safe distance between those who are more closely related, so as to reduce the chances of parent-child sex.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 1:02am On Jun 27, 2019
jesusjnr:
I think it has to do with numbers and a measure devised to curb or limit sexual immorality.

For instance a man sleeping with his own blood sister is a step closer to a father sleeping with his own daughter.

And there were instances recorded in the Bible where a sister married her brother and it was acceptable, but never a parent sleeping with his own child.

So probably incest being labelled immoral in Mosaic laws is just to reduce the chances of parent-child sex than that between a brother and sister.

For there's a way you'd observe it and see that we're all blood related, so all sex should be incest, but it's not so probably because incest is meant to provide that safe distance between those who are more closely related, so as to reduce the chances of parent-child sex.

So, incest isn't really wrong except Parent - Child incest?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by liberalchick(f): 5:32am On Jun 27, 2019
Apples and oranges. Bestiality infringes on the rights of the animal. An animal can’t consent to sex. Bestiality is a non consensual sex- rape.

On the surface, it shouldn’t be morally wrong but some cultures have been conditioned to view it as disgusting and immoral. It’s icky to me though.

tartar9:

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Nobody: 6:07am On Jun 27, 2019
johnydon22:

So, incest isn't really wrong except Parent - Child incest?
You know how it is with humans, if you give them a yard(allow), they would want to take 2 or more yards(allowance), so under this circumstance, because of that threat it poses, it is wrong.

But if the threat wasn't there just as in the beginning when lust wasn't a factor, nothing would have been wrong with it, for under that circumstance the issue of divorce or polygamy would not have arisen, because a once married person would have been attracted solely to his own spouse, so a parent would not even think or having sexual relationship with his child, because he would only be attracted to his wife with whom he had that child.

And you often hear people calling someone from their own community or village sister or brother even though they are not children of the same parents or even cousins, because they are more closely related related with respect to ancestry of those of the community which may have just started with a single married couple.

But then you have "sisters" and "brothers" in the respect of being from the same community getting married without much issues, probably because a safe enough blood distance has been observed.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by frank317: 8:26am On Jun 27, 2019
I don't know if its a moral thing, but I think its a psychological thing.

Incest is wrong to me, growing up with my sisters and siblings, the love I have for them is not sexual. Over time growing up with them, I LEARNED to see them in a particular way and not in another way. This tuned my psych to think in a particular way about certain people.

Like I have always said, life is more about learning than instinct. More like unconscious learning. I am sure if we are generally trained to love and f++k our siblings we will not see an issue with it.

I have learned to see it as wrong because my mind set have been trained over time to see it as not only wrong but detestable.

Its actually quite difficult to grow up with ur siblings they way most of us did - the common interest we have growing up eliminates the sexual desire for them - and want to have sex with them. Hence most people who actually do it did not grow in a family setting like most of us.

How do I feel when I see it... I see it as wrong, I caring because my mind can only see my family setting (not theirs) and think its weird to have sex with a sibling. However I am sure if I interact with them, I will find a missing link that might shape my judgement... For now, I can only judge them through what I know and what's common.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by frank317: 8:37am On Jun 27, 2019
More...

Growing up in the family setting most of us did have been profitable to human race over time... What ever family setting people who do incest grew has not been shown to be profitable... Hence another reason to reject incest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 27, 2019
Oh my gosh, seriously?

Do you want your kids to be disabled?!

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by tartar9(m): 9:08am On Jun 27, 2019
liberalchick:
Apples and oranges. Bestiality infringes on the rights of the animal. An animal can’t consent to sex. Bestiality is a non consensual sex- rape.

On the surface, it shouldn’t be morally wrong but some cultures have been conditioned to view it as disgusting and immoral. It’s icky to me though.

Lol...but slaughtering them like animals embarassed and using them for peppersoup is consensual right grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by CosmicPhoenix: 11:00am On Jun 27, 2019
tartar9:

Lol...but slaughtering them like animals embarassed and using them for peppersoup is consensual right grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by EmperorHarry: 11:44am On Jun 27, 2019
In what sense are we looking at it being morally right or wrong?
If all the rules for non-related relationships and activities apply then I don't see anything wrong. Humans are predisposed to find relationships outside their immediate family due to preference and many other factors but there are the exceptions.There are second and third cousins getting into relationships and tying the knot so I don't see why the same shouldn't apply if there's a mutual affection and agreement between both individuals.The Targaryens from GOT are fictional examples.
I feel the some of the cons of incest have been mentioned already.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by JeromeBlack: 12:07pm On Jun 27, 2019
tartar9:

Rape and murder are two different areas of criminal law.

Rape revolves around consent

Murder revolves around intent and harm.

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by liberalchick(f): 12:33pm On Jun 27, 2019
Apples and oranges. One is a sexual gratification causing injury to a living animal. The other is killing an animal for survival. One is rape the other is humans being part of a food chain. Ethical vegetarians/vegans might argue killing animals is inhumane but at least most people do it for survival.

tartar9:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Originakalokalo(m): 12:51pm On Jun 27, 2019
Incest is wrong because God said it is wrong.

A natural man will not understand the things of the spirit because they are foolishness to him.

I don't use human senses to reason out Spiritual instructions. If God prohibited it, it stays that way because he knows better.

Who knows maybe the ancient practices of incest and beastiality brought sicknesses such as sickle cell, HIV, etc?

No argument. Incest is bad because God's word say so.

Natural men, over to you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2019
fieryy:
Oh my gosh, seriously?

Do you want your kids to be disabled?!

The problem of kids being disabled isn't a moral problem

Moreover you are assuming every sexual relationship leads to pregnancy
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2019
tartar9:

But they are animals. Lol

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 1:17pm On Jun 27, 2019
tartar9:

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Olorunnim: 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2019
johnydon22:

How please explain is it not a moral problem?
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by MrPresident1: 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2019
johnydon22:
So, let's see how this moral question can be effectively treated.

Is incest morally wrong?

If Yes.

Why is it morally wrong?

If, No.

Why?

Incest may allow recessive deleterious traits to express themselves.

Why place a burden on anyone? On the person in whom the trait is expressed and on the people who will be forced to take care of the person?

This is morally wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by johnydon22(m): 1:26pm On Jun 27, 2019
Olorunnim:
How please explain is it not a moral problem?

It's a medical problem not a moral one.

I thought that much would be pretty self explanatory.
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Olorunnim: 1:31pm On Jun 27, 2019
johnydon22:

It's a medical problem not a moral one.

I thought that much would be pretty self explanatory.
It's not moral to have such child when you know the implications of your actions but people still do

1 Like

Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Aaronsrod: 1:49pm On Jun 27, 2019
Over sabi pippu! Mtcheeew!!

Not one of you has referred to the Word of God!

Incest is permitted by God.

Nowhere is it forbidden.

Incest was committed by the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve,by Noah to replenish the Earth, by Amram and his aunt Jochebed, by fatyher Abraham and his sister Sarah.

It is an act blessed and sanctified by the Lord.

Or are you now greater than God
Re: Moral Problems: Is Incest Wrong? Why? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 27, 2019
johnydon22:

Moreover you are assuming every sexual relationship leads to pregnancy

Offsprings with close relatives increases the risk of genetic and birth defects by significant amount in just one family. That's the reason why it's illegal in most countries.

The problem of kids being disabled might bkt be a moral problem, but you having a relationship with someone knowing the risks and implications that come with it, is a moral one.

But yes not every sexual relationship leads to pregnancy BUT every sexual relationship CAN lead to one.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between Hallelujah And Halleluyah / Why Is Africa The Most Religious Continent Yet The Most Undeveloped??? / Churches And Their Annoying Noise Making!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.