Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,761 members, 7,813,522 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

Do You Actually Need A Househelp? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Actually Need A Househelp? (1413 Views)

Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? / Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Boboribo: 9:31pm On Feb 09, 2010
Or your wife pestered you that she needs one.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by dominique(f): 9:54pm On Feb 09, 2010
if the wife is a working woman with a bunch of small kids and living in a place too large to clean, it should be a welcome idea. there is only much one can do before body and soul crashes. body no be wood you know.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Outstrip(f): 5:29am On Feb 10, 2010
There is need and there is want. Technically you don't need a car. You can wake up at 5 am and start walking and get to work by 9am. So does she really need a maid to survive probably not. Does she need a maid to make things run more smoothly most likely

1 Like

Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 10, 2010
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 11, 2010
yes i think i do.not married though but working n as a single lady in her early 20s coming back from work with d stress of work n hustlin 4 commercial bus 2 take u home is draining.n wen i get home i'm soo tired n hugry dat i av 2 pik 2 optins either 2 cook n eat or go strait 2 bed.most of d time i go strait 2 bed.so if i close work 4pm get home like 5.30 pm or 6pm due 2 lagos traffic which energy will i use in cleaning up d hose,taking care of d kids n avin 2 cook.it woulld affect my health real bad.i think dis days house help is now a neccessity.i'm a human being nah,i have 2 pay attention 2 my sexual life 2 otherwise i'll break down in no time n i wount be looking sexy 4 my husband again due 2 stress n fatigue.its either d stress will make me obesse or loose weight
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 11, 2010
at least wen u come back n u mit d whole house clean,d only tin u nid 2 do is cook 4 ur husband n d kids, check n monitor their education,ask dem questions at least d house help will have taken d kids bak from school so it would be a big relief 4 u.den by weekend u can do d house chores ur self or beta still ask her 2 do it while u monitor her,u can wash ur kids clothes urself n generally have time 4 urself n family,and u can relax with ur husband n cntinue ur love life from were u stopped it due 2 work
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Tsiya(m): 9:49pm On Feb 11, 2010
Honestly, I don't want to sound silly. But there is something about Nigerian and black people in general about this housemaid of a thing. I can count the number of English families that have housemaids. But many Nigerian families have housemaids. In most cases they just go home bring their sisters or husband sister and be subjecting her to mental and physical torture. I do not understand this. Are we lazy or there is still this mentality of enslavement in our life
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by dominique(f): 10:23pm On Feb 11, 2010
^^^ i dont think you're getting the point here. how do you expect the career woman to juggle all that responsibility? most of those british women are probably full time housewives, those working amongst them have reliable and housekeeping services. i personally dont advocate the use of househelp, but there are times that it becomes necessary.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Outstrip(f): 11:09pm On Feb 11, 2010
dominique:

^^^ i dont think you're getting the point here. how do you expect the career woman to juggle all that responsibility? most of those british women are probably full time housewives, those working amongst them have reliable and housekeeping services. i personally dont advocate the use of househelp, but there are times that it becomes necessary.

Not true. That's just the way of life. You work your full time job and raise your kids with zero help and that is why the men tend to be more involved here in the west becasue it will be almost impossible to do it and remain sane. If the help is needed I say go for it but we all do it outside of Nigeria and it is not really the best arrangement especially for the kids.

PS there is a bini woman here that has 5 children and she is a school teacher. A few evenings a week she also teaches in a local college. I don't know how she manages but she does. She's married to an American and her older son is very helpful too
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by mamagee3(f): 11:58pm On Feb 11, 2010
It's the Wife's role to keep the house very clean and tidy, If not why did she marry in the first place?
Let's face it most women are shamefully lazy that they would rather bring someone's daughter into their homes inorder
to help them take care of the house and keep it cland while they stay doing nothing.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Outstrip(f): 12:36am On Feb 12, 2010
what nonsense. So she got married so she can clean the house? What sort of silly reasoning is that

1 Like

Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Nobody: 7:14am On Feb 12, 2010
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by ekoboy: 7:17am On Feb 12, 2010
^^^ there is nothing silly about someone cleaning his or her house. Some women are painfully lazy. I've met a house wife that all she does at home is watch TV. her child will crying in d parlour With her and d househelp who is cooking in d kitchen will rush out to attend to d baby. She literally worked d househelp to death while doing nothing. And she is A HOUSEWIFE. Did i mention dat d househelp is her husbands relation.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by sophy09: 7:23am On Feb 12, 2010
chaircover:

Ive just returned from a trip to Nigeria and I can honestly see why in some cases help may be needed;

Cars have to be cleaned everyday due to the dust - my car only gets cleaned probably 4 times a year over here.

Husbands are more hands on over here with chores & looking after kids - Very few men do housework in Nigeria.

Houses & compounds are much larger in Nigeria, so more space needs sweeping, mopping, cutting the grass etc

In Nigeria we tend to accommodate more guests; so that means more cooking, tidying up etc

Shopping n Nigeria is not just a case of walking into the shop picking up items, paying for it and just walking out but going to the market can be a whole day affair.

I can sling a joint in the oven or start the washing machine and go out saving valuable time but in Nigeria you cannot leave your gen on and go out leaving the washing machine running.

I can afford to iron and wash my clothes at my leisure as of when needed however in Nigeria I need to iron a whole pile as soon as NEPA decides to bring back light even if it is at 1:00am in the morning.

We attend more functions in Nigeria so we hardly have much free time at home to do housework

Go-slow is real and it tires one out even if you are relaxing and enjoying in the owners corner.

She said it all.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by malaika(f): 10:12am On Feb 12, 2010
::
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 12, 2010
Chaircover hit the nail on the head.
In a country like Nigeria, househelps are actually a neccessity esp when u hav little kids and are also holding down a job.
But as soon as one of the kids get old enough to help with house chores, then the househelp should be done away with.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by opokonwa(m): 3:55pm On Feb 12, 2010
@chaircover
U don close thread cool
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Tsiya(m): 7:28pm On Feb 12, 2010
It is not a question of affordability, rather it is about cheap labour. Despite all your numerous household chores, if the living standard in Nigeria is better than what we have today, and we have good labour laws such that there is minimum wage, then only very few people will afford housemaids. People are just using the excuse of cheap labour to subject other people to untold hardship.

I do not mind employing an elderly woman as a househelp or nanny. But we all know that in Nigeria, in many cases, the housemaids, mostly girls, are minors. Some are even our relatives. And it is not new that these girls are subjected to hardship. You employ only one house girl. Pay her 3000 a month. She will do cooking, cleaning, ironing, taking care of kids and going on errands. Some are just slavery and in some cases these poor souls get a bitten of their lives.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by Outstrip(f): 9:33pm On Feb 12, 2010
Tsiya:

It is not a question of affordability, rather it is about cheap labour. Despite all your numerous household chores, if the living standard in Nigeria is better than what we have today, and we have good labour laws such that there is minimum wage, then only very few people will afford housemaids. People are just using the excuse of cheap labour to subject other people to untold hardship.

I do not mind employing an elderly woman as a househelp or nanny. But we all know that in Nigeria, in many cases, the housemaids, mostly girls, are minors. Some are even our relatives. And it is not new that these girls are subjected to hardship. You employ only one house girl. Pay her 3000 a month. She will do cooking, cleaning, ironing, taking care of kids and going on errands. Some are just slavery and in some cases these poor souls get a bitten of their lives.

My cousin pays between 10 and 15 grand a month and I thought that was not even enough. I think at the end of the day it is still a want and not a need. My mother never had any. She and my dad pretty much raised us by themselves and we grew up for the most part in Nigeria. I think that is part of the reason why we are independent and very opinionated lol. We have always made decisions for ourselves.
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by whiteroses(f): 10:26pm On Feb 12, 2010
oh i remembered our househelps, we usually have three of them at a time cos we owned two shop and one supermarket, those househelps are wierd mehn i remember aunt fatima, blessing, nkechi, justina, aunt toyin, suzan(susi babe she was a razz one), asantewa and one other boy. my sister usually fire them before my mum arrives from work  grin
they are wierd and foolish, one got electrocuted so she tried to trick the other to getting shocked as well so she said  bring your hand touch this edge and they both got shocked  grinGod forgive me oh
Re: Do You Actually Need A Househelp? by vivaladiva(f): 8:02am On Feb 13, 2010
i swear i dnt know y women like trouble, no house help for me ooooo, if at all i need help, no be say i wan born football team, she will come in the morning and go in the evening, no hanging around constituting a nuisance, b4 u know she go begin shake yansh up n down, small time kasala go burst, agbada go hook barbed wire n then them go dey sing, na who give ekaete belle, me i no doooooo ooooo

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Sued For Touchery / I Dont Use My Weddin Ring,does It Mean Am Cheating? / Certificate For Marriage Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.