Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! (22610 Views)

Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? / In Need Of A Househelp Agency(or House Help) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 9:11am On Jul 23, 2010
Hi,

I am a London based Nigerian and recently had a baby. With day care being so expensive in London i've found that most of my salary would go on paying nursery fees for my child. In other words, i might as well stay at home and look after the baby myself. My husband works but it would be nice to have some income coming in from my end. As a result, i have considered bringing a nanny/househelp from Nigeria to look after my baby whilst I go back to work, (as a cheaper and more convenient option- Obviously, i plan to give the help a good life here and occasional trips to Nija to see her family!).

Has anyone on here done this? I've occasionally seen Nigerians settling with house helps here calling them cousins, or one relative or another. What are the tricks of the game? any advice would be really helpful. Obviously, i know of the risks i.e running away, social services e.t.c but are there success stories? how would they move from visit visa to permanent residency? I'd be most grateful for your views.

Thanks
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 23, 2010
It's very possible to import a house maid from Nigeria to Britain, to help look after your child. However, it's not the most straight-forward of processes, and could cost you a lot of time and money, with no guarantees of success. Money that could well be spent looking after your new baby. Of course, there are young Nigerian girls that would already have passports, and have travelled in and out of Nigeria. But I doubt they'd be willing to settle as nannies, at least not on a low income. Worth a try though.

I think your best option, would be to find another Nigerian mother that has her own kids, and is a housewife. You may be able to negotiate with her, to look after your own baby along with hers, whilst you're at work. It's quite common, though how it works with a newborn, I'm not sure. You'd have to invest in a br3ast pump, so you can express milk into bottles so your baby can be fed with your own milk, supplemented with formula whilst you're away. And you'd have to be able to trust the carer of your baby will be hygienic with you baby's food preparation. Another key factor is trust - how well will a carer look after your precious child? She'll have to be vetted - don't forget, she may not be a registered child minder, and this is very important.

Lastly, make 100% sure your baby has had all her immunisation jabs, usually after 8 weeks, before subjecting him / her to outside care, the last thing you'd want is to start battling with infection.

Best of luck!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 1:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
Thanks Siena! i noticed that you and your wife just had a beautiful baby girl, big congrats!

Indeed i forgot about this option of 'cheaper UK based care' provided by other Nigerian mothers here in London. It is definitely one to explore o. My initial thought was to bring someone over- perhaps a girl educated to secondary level, so that she can pick up some type of skill here for herself, maybe through distance or part-time learning whilst helping me to raise my young family. Like you said, this venture is money, time and energy consuming with no guarantee of success so i'm trying to be as careful as possible. I really dont want to blow up my tiny resources on someone, only to be let down at the end! It would be ideal if it worked out though. I have a friend who brought her relative and they have been together for six years now. The girl has grown to be part of their family and even supports my friend with her business as a sales assistant beyond looking after her kids. In my case, i dont have a relative in mind so it might have to be a stranger which complicates the matter even more  undecided
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 23, 2010
Thanks, Gogo. smiley

I hope it all works out for you. It's easy finding Nigerian mothers who are full-time housewives, with kids of their own, who will look after your baby whilst you're working, for a small fee.

The hard part is deciding on who's qualified, or indeed fit enough to do so. Perhaps you should join a local mother's group, preferrably African, and have a chat with other young mothers. I'm sure between you lot, you'll be able to find affordable day care, and perhaps get some testimonials from others who may be able to recommend decent carers.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by rubi(f): 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2010
I will not advice you to bring anyone from Nigeria as siena pointed out it will be fine if you can find Nigerian mothers with kids from where you reside to assist you that one you will have peace and stable marriage

I know alot of people who brought someone from home the rest is history. If you want you can go ahead and give it a trial experience is the best teacher

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Bim4u: 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2010
@ op
Where in London are u based,is it s/w or s/e.
I do know of someone that previous poster advise that's full time house-wife and also has certificate in child care
but also quite reasonable n well known to myself
So you can trust her.
If interested leave a message with your email address
And I can contact you with her number after speaking to her about urs.
If she wants to have more children for child care.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 2:45pm On Jul 23, 2010
Thank you guys, this thread is really helpful. @ Bim4u, i live in the norwood area which is reasonably between SE and SW so it wont be a problem getting to either side. I can be reached on highfashionfocus@googlemail.com grateful if you can eventually pass on the lady's details thank you. My baby is only a week old so i'll be looking for care in another 7 weeks or so after immunisations as advised.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by omotofine(f): 4:55pm On Jul 23, 2010
@Poster, when i had my baby about 5 years ago, i brought in someone from nigeria. i got a domestic visa for her, don't know if it still exists though. All you have to prove is that she has been employed by your family for the past 2 years or 6 months, i really cant remember. I said she was working with my mum in nigeria, you have to have a contract of employment showing her salary.
The visa was granted for two years after which she applied for leave to remain.
I brought in an older woman, in her early sixties and she was very good, took care of my first and second babies very well and even though, i have heard stories of people that were not so lucky, i just thank God for her.
On the other hand, theres a nigerian domestic help agency in catford, i think its called tofun, i can give u their number if you want, they send someone to stay with you from sunday night to friday evening and u pay them £150 weekly, some that used them have been lucky and others not so lucky, but i just think it all depends on the individual and how you treat them.

1 Like

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Bim4u: 4:57pm On Jul 23, 2010
@OP

I've just contacted her and she's like a big sis to me
I've told her u're my friend and i do hope u're a very goo person

She stays in Thamesmead and she was only concerned regarding the distance if you alright with that.

I'ill send her number to your mail box with name.

When u both reach a decision then you can get a address.

Email has been sent with information.

Alot of options for you but you'ill need to make a decision.

1 Like

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by labiyemmy(m): 5:27pm On Jul 23, 2010
Even when to be husband brings her to be wife to London, she still runs away to find someone better, talkless of someone you bring in as a nanny- she will surely run away for something better.

1 Like

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 5:38pm On Jul 23, 2010
lol @ labiyemmy - Honestly i've heard such horror stories, that would just be the worst thing o. Forget about what you've invested sef where do you start with explaining to the persons family? The next thing is that you carried their daughter and used her for rituals in London!

Omotofine thanks! did'nt know such an agency even existed! i may explore the route of dealing with a registered individual first but its handy to have this information.

Bim4u i've replied your e-mail. I consider myself to be an honest and hassle free individual. Dont worry- you wont regret referring me wink

1 Like

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2010
@ Omotofine if you dont mind, could you pls give me the number for the Tofun people? you can inbox it to (highfashionfocus@googlemail.com). Cheers smiley
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by iice(f): 3:10am On Jul 24, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Even when to be husband brings her to be wife to London, she still runs away to find someone better, talkless of someone you bring in as a nanny- she will surely run away for something better.

grin grin You echoed my thoughts. . .as my mama likes to say, dem go open eye.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2010
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by jifingjive: 6:07am On Jul 26, 2010
I love all these and i cant wait to provide services to people like you.

Still working out the modalities.

We provide well trained domestic help and will like to help famililies all over the worlld.

Visit http://www.paulablackdomestichelp.com to learn more about us.

I will like to know what your views are.

Regards,

Paula
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by WAVixen: 3:23am On Jul 27, 2010
I know some Nigerians are bad, but must we ALWAYS be negative?

5 Likes

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 11:22am On Jul 27, 2010
Thanks guys for all your contributions. Its good to have a broad perspective on this issue o! alongside peoples views on here i've looked further into my initial idea of bringing someone over from Nigeria and i've decided that its definitely a 'No go area', for now at least. Damisco and Chaircover your views are most useful, however i think Siena was advocating going with Nigerian childminders that are 'registered' as they may be cheaper than others- as i had mentioned the money factor in my original post.

Anyway, nothing against those childminders that aren't registered but i'll definitely not take my baby to someone running the business informally at this stage. This is my first time as a parent and i'm aiming to do the best i can to avoid wahala! Chaircover, I've decided that i'll give it some months before hopping back to work! I'm so exhausted at the moment i dont know how i was even thinking i could go back 5 weeks from now. I love my job but love my baby more o! so i'm reshuffling things with my employer. Thanks all! smiley
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 27, 2010
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by missgstar2: 12:46pm On Jul 27, 2010
Hey Gogmannie

My elder sister was in the same position as you, and has managed to bring a lady over from Nigeria to help her look after my nephew, and look after the house.  There is actually a special visa for people coming over to do househelp.  She considered bringing the lady over on a visit visa, but when she found that this other visa was available, she decided to do it 'legit'.  

The visa was issued with no problems, and the lady has been with us since April.  There are no limits on her stay, and she will be entitled to apply for stay after 3 or 5 years.

Our uncle found the lady for us.  She is in her late thirties, and comes from my mother's village.  I wouldn't advise bringing over someone that is too young, or someone that will be percieved as coming over for any other reason other than working for your family.  Remember the Home Office doesn't look for reasons to give you a visa, but reasons not to!

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Gogomannie: 4:40pm On Jul 27, 2010
Chaircover, thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your story smiley meeehhnn! ones life does change sha, I did prepare myself for parenting (in the UK) but i guess you learn some of the ropes as you go along!
Missgstar thanks for the info as well. I guess you are referring to the domestic visa Omotofine was talking about. I'm grateful to know about it nevertheless.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 27, 2010
WAVixen:

I know some Nigerians are bad, but must we ALWAYS be negative?

When it comes to the safety of my kids, there's no room for sentiment. If being cautious is perceived by you as being "negative", then so be it.

Feel free to hand your baby over an un vetted "childminder", just because they're Nigerian, I wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by chika98: 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2010
I would seriously consider ChairCover's advice as it is spot on! A family friend did that and it ended terribly! You've got to be careful
when it comes to your children. Plus taking em to daycare is actually good for their growth as they can mingle with other kids
and also helps in building their social skills.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Amigoz(f): 11:30pm On Jul 27, 2010
chaircover:

I don’t think Siena was referring to Ofstead registered “Nigerian” childminders but informal arrangements between mothers.

Anyhow registered childminders all charge approximately the same and I would be wary of a Nigerian Registered childminder charging any less than average. Why should she? She would have gone through the same rigorous inspections, criminal checks and training courses like her oyinbo counterparts so she deserves to earn the same.

Please go back to work only when you are ready. I am sure your employer will understand. What you don’t want is to go back to soon and then have to take time off sick because you are too tired and so on. Childbirth over here is not a bed of roses as there is little help & little time for sleep with frequent feeding etc.

I was in the middle of my Masters when I fell pregnant with my son. I remember telling my course tutor that I will be back in a few months. She looked at me and said it wasn’t likely and I looked at her and thought what is this silly woman saying? Needless to say my son turned 14 a few weeks ago and I haven’t picked up a book since. I know many mothers achieve lots of academic qualifications after birth but I just wasn’t able to carry on with that masters in my case.

I wish you all the best and remember that things will only get better but you have to accept that some things in life will never be the same again.

It is well  kiss

words of wisdom @ CC.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by Ilelobola: 2:27am On Aug 10, 2010
We brought someone here from Nigeria and we have no regrets 3 years on. My children get 1-2-1 care which I consider priceless. I preferred having my child at home full time until she was 2 before starting Montessori. IMO a lot of Nurseries that take children from birth or a few months etc wouldn’t teach your child much either until they are nearing 2 which is why some preschools/Montessori won’t take them till that age. Her nanny takes her and picks her up. She also helps around the house. And now that I have another child, having her has certainly been fantastic. We always had a relative or another staying with us when we were growing up so I have no qualms with having an extra person in the house. She's part of the family now.

She had studied up to SSCE in Nigeria and continues studying part time here, so she's not exactly someone that only gives the feeder. She’s intelligent and actually teaches the children through play in her own way.

One obviously wouldn’t just ask anyone off the streets of Nigeria to come be your nanny in the UK. Ours had worked with my husband in the past in Nigeria and I went to Nigeria for 3 months when I had my first child and she stayed with me. I was able to decide if I would be able to live with her or not. People change and yes she did change. She was the quietest person in Nigeria but is one of the loudest persons I know in the UK. Not a problem as long as no major issues. And I certainly wouldn’t advise bringing family to be your help, best an independent and where possible try to spend some time with the person.

I also know of someone who did the same and the lady’s been with her for 13 years though she now has UK citizenship, she’s still with the family. On the other hand, I know people who have had horrible experiences with domestic workers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by luap: 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2010
U need househelp from Nigeria? Sure go import a fine young sxy woman for the husband. See what happens.
Re: Bringing A Househelp From Nigeria To London. Pls Advise! by ifunayam(f): 1:10pm On Aug 12, 2010
Gogomannie, sorry, but you guys are re-locating to nigeria in a few months from now, how come you want to import an househelp? i think you should make do with whatever help you get over there and then get an househelp when you arrive Nigeria. Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will You Allow Her To Stay With Her Parents, After Trad Without Church Wedding? / My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / Woman Divorced For Receiving Blood Donation From Shitte Member (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.