Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations (52677 Views)

Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by preator007(m): 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2017
obailala:
Amunike = lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked
very simple hard erection
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by naijalander: 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2017
haters gon hate.

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

1). Olaitan = A threesômer
2). Iziegbe= Gun head.
3). Alaibi = land of enlarged scrotums.
4). Alanta= Small Brezz
5). Obusonjo= Full of ugliness
6) Osibanjo= stealing is a crime.
7). Buhari= carry it around, change it
cool Maimuna= you don do me enuff
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Cubeet: 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

2). Iziegbe= Gun head.
4). Alanta= Small Brezz
This person wan kill me with laugh

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Phut(f): 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
EmekaBlue:
Just for fun. TGIF

(1) Obiageri = If u come u go chop.
(2) Ijeoma = Travel well
(3) Ifeoma = fine thing
(4) Uloma = Ogbonge house or kakarakaa house
(5) Ulonna = papa house
(6) Nnanna = papa papa
(7) Nnenne = Mama mama
(8.) Emeka = dem do good
(9) Ikemefuna= Abeg make my power no loss
(10) Enyinnaya = Him papa friend
(11) Amaechi = you know tomorrow?
(12) Nwanneka = my brother pass your brother
(13) Uchenna = Him papa mind
(14) Ebuka = you too fat
(15) Ogonna = Papa inlaw
(16) Obiora = Public opinion
(17) Nonso = you too near
(18) Amobi = you know him mind.

ADD YOURS and keep the fun moving!

You are trying too hard. Why drop half of a name and misinterprete the other parts, just in the name of having fun.

(1) Obiageri = If u come u go chop. Wrong translation. Obiageri = He who comes in a time of plenty. What you translated is Ibia igeri
(2) Ijeoma = Travel well (Correct translation = Safe Journey i.e. Life is a journey - best wishes on that journey)
(3) Ifeoma = fine thing (Good thing/ blessing. The child is a good thing that has happened to the family)
(5) Ulonna = papa house
(6) Nnanna = papa papa (This means Paternal Grandfather. Usually used when the child is thought to be a reincarnation)
(7) Nnenne = Mama mama (Maternal grandmother - reincarnation of)
(8.) Emeka = dem do good . There is no dem in this name. Emeka means, has done well. Full name is Chukwuemeka.)
(10) Enyinnaya = Him papa friend (Nothing funny here. The child is his fathers friend or the apple of his father's eye)
(12) Nwanneka = my brother pass your brother. Wrong interpretation. Nwanneka simply means that blood is thicker than water. Siblings are supreme)
(13) Uchenna = Him papa mind. Wrong again. It means Will of the father. Uche will. Nna is father. Nna in this case refers to God the father.
(14) Ebuka = you too fat . Wrong again. The name is Chiebuka. Chi = God. E = Is. Buka = Very big/great.
(15) Ogonna = Papa inlaw Wrong again. Ogonna means gift from the father. Ogo is gift and nna is God the father.
(16) Obiora = Public opinion. Obi = Heart. Ora = People. Heart of the people
(17) Nonso = you too near. Where did you get the "you" from? Full name is Chinonso = God is near. Chi = God No = Is. Nso = Near.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by VargasVee(m): 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
AuroraB:
Eskis me undecided ECHIETEKA is a specie of snake sad

Some people bear it still grin
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by wristbangle: 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

2). Iziegbe= Gun head.
4). Alanta= Small Brezz

Werey grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Phut(f): 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
grin dat one na name? It means a child is neva at fault, nt a name jooor grin

I believe Amaikpe = Judge. NwaAmaikpe = Child of a Judge

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Cubeet: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2017
win2kwire:

typical names of ibo drug dealers, travel, chop, fine thing, tomorrow go better!

Some English first names to go with them = Calistus, innocent, chopNdie, godDey, GodsPower.

What about Ogunleye
Ogunlabi
Ogunjobi.

Typical Ritualist and Rapist name.
Afonja.com

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by VickyRotex(f): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2017
This is what happens when you take Osogbo weed with Ijebu garri. angry
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by maklelemakukula(m): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2017
AuroraB:
Eskis me undecided ECHIETEKA is a specie of snake sad
yea I know. legend has it that if it bites you today, you wont see tomorrow
but its still a name tho

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by talk2saintify(m): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Lie Lie For Africa
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by VargasVee(m): 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
Phut:

You are trying too hard. Why drop half of a name and misinterprete the other parts, just in the name of having fun.

(1) Obiageri = If u come u go chop. Wrong translation. Obiageri = He who comes in a time of plenty. What you translated is Ibia igeri
(2) Ijeoma = Travel well (Correct translation = Safe Journey i.e. Life is a journey - best wishes on that journey)
(3) Ifeoma = fine thing (Good thing/ blessing. The child is a good thing that has happened to the family)
(5) Ulonna = papa house
(6) Nnanna = papa papa (This means Paternal Grandfather. Usually used when the child is thought to be a reincarnation)
(7) Nnenne = Mama mama (Maternal grandmother - reincarnation of)
(8.) Emeka = dem do good . There is no dem in this name. Emeka means, has done well. Full name is Chukwuemeka.)
(10) Enyinnaya = Him papa friend (Nothing funny here. The child is his fathers friend or the apple of his father's eye)
(12) Nwanneka = my brother pass your brother. Wrong interpretation. Nwanneka simply means that blood is thicker than water. Siblings are supreme)
(13) Uchenna = Him papa mind. Wrong again. It means Will of the father. Uche will. Nna is father. Nna in this case refers to God the father.
(14) Ebuka = you too fat . Wrong again. The name is Chiebuka. Chi = God. E = Is. Buka = Very big/great.
(15) Ogonna = Papa inlaw Wrong again. Ogonna means gift from the father. Ogo is gift and nna is God the father.
(16) Obiora = Public opinion. Obi = Heart. Ora = People. Heart of the people
(17) Nonso = you too near. Where did you get the "you" from? Full name is Chinonso = God is near. Chi = God No = Is. Nso = Near.

He's actually right. Literally not factually.

Igbo names have deeper meanings to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Pharaoh9(m): 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
mrkings84:
Pls what are the meaning of these names
Ngozi, Ikenna, Oluchi, Amara, Aki, Chinwendu, Chinweikpe, Chioma....

They are all my neighbor, pls an Igbo person should help me with their meaning....

Ngozi- Blessing
Ikenna- Father's strength
Oluchi- God's work
Amara- Grace
Aki- Nut
Chinwendu- God owns life
Chinweikpe- God owns case/judgment
Chioma- Good God

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by doctore212(m): 3:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
Yemisi - Give me head. Ramotu-

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by femi4: 3:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
KendrickAyomide:
what about NwaAmaikpe ?
dead brain

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by maklelemakukula(m): 3:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

2). Iziegbe= Gun head.
4). Alanta= Small Brezz
hahhahahah grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by iamyungkizzy(m): 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2017
[quote author=NwaAmaikpe post=59147002] shocked
1). Olaitan = A threesômer 2). Iziegbe= Gun head. 3). Alaibi = land of enlarged scrotums. 4). Alanta= Small Brezz 5). Obusonjo= Full of ugliness 6) Osibanjo= stealing is a crime. 7). Buhari= carry it around, change it cool Maimuna= you don do me enuff Hahahaha...crazy mooofuker
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by nextstep(m): 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
Phut:

These are supposed to be funny and literal interpretations of the short names. Those who know - like me - got a laugh out of it.

But I suppose it's good for those who don't know to also see the actual meanings.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by fafambo: 3:55pm On Aug 04, 2017
AMOBI=DICK HEART

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by nextstep(m): 3:56pm On Aug 04, 2017
Phut:

Na wao phut, giving somebody F9 when we're just enjoying the funny and literal interpretations of the short names. Those who know - like me - got a laugh out of it.

But I suppose it's good for those who don't know to also see the actual meanings.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by lekanation(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2017
maklelemakukula:

bad belle goan drink alabukun
so I cannot drop comment in peace again
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Pharaoh9(m): 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2017
VargasVee:

He's not right
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Emperor119(m): 4:01pm On Aug 04, 2017
Amuche: preek wisdom
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Phut(f): 4:01pm On Aug 04, 2017
VargasVee:

Literal translation does not mean you should literally mislead people. Literal translation of Chiebuka = God is great. If he only translates half (ebuka), it leads to an intentional misrepresentation. Buka is to be bigger/greater. And that is the literal translation. He was also way off with Nonso. You are too near What the heck is that?? There is no "You" in that name. OP deliberately twisted a lot of the translations to make them "appear" funny.
Trying too hard, I say

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by nuelsam: 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2017
KendrickAyomide:
what about NwaAmaikpe ?
i shook mouth for matter wey no concern me

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Tiffbuxas: 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2017
Obiageri... Now I understand y cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Phut(f): 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2017
nextstep:

Na wao phut, giving somebody F9 when we're just enjoying the funny and literal interpretations of the short names. Those who know - like me - got a laugh out of it.

My brother, I just feel that there are some jokes that are low brow. No be everything you go de joke with. Especially when you know it will lead to a lot of miseducation. A lot of Igbo people don't even understand Igbo. Some of them don't even have Igbo first names. Will all these misinterpretations also not discourage them from naming their children Igbo first names? Our native names are special and have a lot of meaning. Misinterpreting them for a laugh, devalues them

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by win2kwire: 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2017
Cubeet:
What about Ogunleye
Ogunlabi
Ogunjobi.

Typical Ritualist and Rapist name.
Afonja.com

I am not afonja and cannot speak for them but ibos invented using human head for money (ego).

ibos started the trend to sell their father and mother for money, they then upgraded to selling babies for money - actually there are baby making factories in iboland.

I don't know of anything ibos will not do for money, human sacrifice, carrying drugs to places with death penalty, selling their parents and children or buying babies from factories, importing toxic waste to their own villages, using hiv needles in their chemist, importing fake rice and including using their own live body parts as sacrifice!

Ibos are the worst tribe in African, not just Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by VargasVee(m): 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2017
Phut:

Literal translation does not mean you should literally mislead people. Literal translation of Chiebuka = God is great. If he only translates half (ebuka), it leads to an intentional misrepresentation. Buka is to be bigger/greater. And that is the literal translation. He was also way off with Nonso. You are too near What the heck is that?? There is no "You" in that name. OP deliberately twisted a lot of the translations to make them "appear" funny.
Trying too hard, I say

Don't mean it's that wrong too.

Say, you call someone now and ask where you're at. The person says "Nonso"

What do you think of?
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by kabillion(m): 4:09pm On Aug 04, 2017
You are too nonso move back a little
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by EmekaBlue(m): 4:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

2). Iziegbe= Gun head.
4). Alanta= Small Brezz
6) Osibunjo= stealing is a crime.
8.) Maimuna= you don do me enuff
9) Amuneke= preek dey create
10) Amunike= preek and yansh
11) Imieke= Python's nose.
grin Nice mix
Re: Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations by Pharaoh9(m): 4:11pm On Aug 04, 2017
win2kwire:

I am not afonja and cannot speak for them but ibos invented using human head for money (ego).

ibos started the trend to sell their father and mother for money, they then upgraded to selling babies for money - actually there are baby making factories in iboland.

I don't know of anything ibos will not do for money, human sacrifice, carrying drugs to places with death penalty, selling their parents and children or buying babies from factories, importing toxic waste to their own villages, using hiv needles in their chemist, importing fake rice and including using their own live body parts as sacrifice!

Ibos are the worst tribe in African, not just Nigeria!

Bloody Afonja trying to change form

You be Yoruba
We all know that an average Yoruba man is a ritual suspect

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mujidat Alagbada, Olubadan's Daughter Dies In Auto Crash / Abdulrosheed Akanbi Suspended For 6 Months / Lady Passes Out, As Masquerades Flog Her In The East (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.