Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,794 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk (509 Views)

Ghana Records 271 Fresh COVID-19 Cases — A Week After Lifting Lockdown / 5 Early Signs Of Breast Cancer That Almost All Women Ignore! / Advantage Of Breast Sucking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk by RxH8: 11:19am On Aug 06, 2017
A 29-old mother-of-two, Elisabeth from the United States has turned a rare condition into a laudable project. She produces large volumes of breast milk daily on account of a condition called hyperlactation syndrome. According to reports, she produces roughly 1.7 gallons (6.4 litres) -almost 10 times more than most mothers. Rather than bemoan her condition, she took this as an opportunity to help hundreds of premature babies who go without breast milk daily. She has so far donated 2,271 liters of breast milk to families that need them. Ever since falling pregnant with her older daughter, Isabella, who is now two and a half years old, Elisabeth estimates that she has fed thousands of babies with her breast milk. She works full time daily producing and storing breast milk in four large freezers she acquired for the project.

According to Elisabeth in a recent interview “I pump five times a day – as soon as I wake up, after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner and again at midnight. I produce up to 0.625 gallons (2.3 litres)of milk during my first pump alone, in total I will spend around five hours a day just pumping and then with storing, labelling, sterilizing etcetera, I easily spent eight to ten hours. Pumping is not fun – it is uncomfortable and it hurts – but it is my labor of love. It is instant gratification when I donate locally because I see the babies and I see them thriving. It will have helped thousands of children. The milk at the milk bank goes to micro pre-emies, so just 1 fl oz can feed three or four babies,” Elisabeth adds. I don’t discriminate – I have donated to gay couples and to mothers who are on medication or had their breast removed due to breast cancer. It’s an amazing feeling.”

This inspiring story demonstrates how one’s perspective of health problems helps him or her to cope.

Source: http://www.healthx24.com/mother-donates-breast-milk/

Re: Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk by Josephjnr(m): 11:20am On Aug 06, 2017
Good move.
Re: Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk by Loyalblak007(f): 11:22am On Aug 06, 2017
shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk by RxH8: 11:23am On Aug 06, 2017
What is Hyperlactation?

This is a rare condition that makes the mother produce milk in excess of of the baby’s needs. It is also known as hypergalactia or breast milk over supply. In effect the mother has too much of a good thing-breast milk- which is often in short supply worldwide. Common causes include hormonal imbalances, tumors, excessive pumping and medications.

How Can you tell if you have Hyperlactation?

Mother observes that milk leaks continually between feedings. She is also able to pump lots of milk after a feeding. Some complain of being awakened at night by painful engorgement despite the baby being satisfied and not yet ready to eat. This painful engorgement may continue for more than 1 to 2 weeks.

Re: Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk by RxH8: 11:25am On Aug 06, 2017
What are some of the complications of Hyperlactation?

This condition is often associated with emotional, social and physical problems.

Feelings of frustration and loneliness
Disruption of social and professional activities on account of excessive leaking and breast pain
Inadequate support from family,friends and health workers (who ironically feel that this is great for the child)
Milk stasis
Blocked ducts
Inflammatory or infectious mastitis
Breast abscess
Infant may have watery stools
How is it usually managed?

According to experts, in other to reduce the problems associated with breast mil over supply, there is a need to decrease the rate of breast milk production, improving milk removal out of the breast. Some may require surgical drainage. There may be need to manage breastfeeding better by feeding your baby before he becomes very hungry to encourage gentle sucking. This reduces breast stimulation and flow of milk.

Antibiotic therapy may be necessary if the breast becomes inflamed.

Reducing quantity and increasing quality of breast milk

At the end of the day, maintaining a positive attitude when dealing with difficult health conditions really helps as shown by Elisabeth Anderson-Sierra.

http://www.healthx24.com/mother-donates-breast-milk/

Re: Hyperlaction-here Is What A Mother Did With 2,271 Litres Of Breast Milk by Rasmodox101(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2017
I See!

(1) (Reply)

Boy Denied Admission In India Because Of Abnormal Hand. / What Is Autism Spectrum? By Adeola Thompson / Tummy Tuck Miracle Slimming System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.