Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,408 members, 7,853,807 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 02:37 AM

Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum (15242 Views)

Iraq Parliament Votes To Remove ALL Foreign Troops From Iraq / Mauritania Dissolves 76 Political Parties For ‘Being Too Small’ / UN, UK Distance Self From Kurdistan Referendum And Secession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Skain(m): 4:19pm On Aug 07, 2017
Good one for them.
if only we can cut expenses by having just one house in Nigeria.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by AngelicBeing: 4:20pm On Aug 07, 2017
Shaev7:

All the senators we have what have they done? I wish this can be done in Nigeria even dictator(with fair heart) should be the president of Nigeria will be better than the one we are now.
l concur

1 Like

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by jahsharon: 4:25pm On Aug 07, 2017
NothingDoMe:
Referendum for life

Referendum is not a sport club, so you cannot say Referendum for life the way you say Chelsea for life. Please be guided accordingly and stop embarrassing yourself.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by MrIrohKenedy: 4:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
obailala:
Come and shut me up...

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Ibime(m): 4:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
AngelicBeing:
If it will cut the bloated cost of governance, it is welcomed but my fears are it might lead to dictatorship which is common in most African government where they have weak institutions, maybe it is time for Nigeria national assembly to be scrapped and send our useless lawbreakers to the village sad

Dictatorship in Africa is better than democracy.

2 Likes

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 07, 2017
MrIrohKenedy:
i don't know why i love the word "referendum" grin

God bless biafra and those that bless him
Trash. No referendum
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by AngelicBeing: 4:32pm On Aug 07, 2017
Ibime:

Dictatorship in Africa is better than democracy.
Lol, l respect your opinion cool
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by egoldman(m): 4:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
GoroTango:
Trash. No referendum

Looks like you hate the word referendum.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by DJInfluence: 4:36pm On Aug 07, 2017
we should scrap the sanate and leave only the house of rep. The house whould be reduced to half as well. Too bloated and costly to run both. Cpoying a country that is more advance is every facet of life is not helping us. We should have a referendum too.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by TheRealestGuy(m): 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2017
magoo10:
In Nigeria if you talk about referendum some gullible minded people will ask for your arrest and if possible for your skull.
Referendum is a means by which people decide how they want to continue living their lives.it is legitimate as long it is supervised by credible international bodies and adjudged to transparent.

Nigerians are disgustingly stupid, many of them.

No nation can move forward without referendums.

This is what IPOB simply demands but even our acting president is talking about the last civil war.

Too many morons here honestly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Fidelismaria: 4:44pm On Aug 07, 2017
we nid this in Nigeria now
the red chamber of thieves and looters needs to be scrapped
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Surefire1: 4:45pm On Aug 07, 2017
How i wish Nigeria will follow suite.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Ekpekus(m): 4:51pm On Aug 07, 2017
tbaba1234:
This could lead to dictatorship.

A more practical solution for Nigeria is abolishing one of the houses and reducing the size of the other.

We also need to reduce the powers that they have over their benefits.
Like scrapping the HOR and make the Senate 1 seat per state..
Also putting a restriction to the amount of PA one could have
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by pellummy(m): 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
Hun, am jst tired,bt seriously senate costly life pattern nids to stop,they nid education ...no one will do anything wit the #REF....am jst tired
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by jamace(m): 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2017
AngelicBeing:
If it will cut the bloated cost of governance, it is welcomed but my fears are it might lead to dictatorship which is common in most African government where they have weak institutions, maybe it is time for Nigeria national assembly to be scrapped and send our useless lawbreakers to the village sad
I don't think it will lead to dictatorship. In fact, the lower house or House of Representative is a better representation of the people than the senate.

If Nigeria can do same , better.

1 Like

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by egokudiowomoney: 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2017
MrIrohKenedy:
Buhari is a terrorist
Tinubu is a bastard
Osibanjo is a vagabond
awolowo is a rat poison king
abiola of cursed memory is a rifraf
apc is bokoharam
Tinubu is a common criminal
and you and your parent are useless
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by safetyInspector(m): 5:04pm On Aug 07, 2017
I thought that Referendum is a synonyms for war in your dictionary?
obailala:
These are the sort of referendums we should be calling for; referendums that can tackle the REAL problems we have in the land, not some flimsy idea of 'problems' created by dubious political opportunists to divert attention from their evil ways. Unfortunately, millions of emotionally battered masses have already been successfully brainwashed by the political opportunists....
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by obailala(m): 5:07pm On Aug 07, 2017
safetyInspector:
I thought that Referendum is a synonyms for war in your dictionary?
Go and work on your thought process... Maybe you might stop hallucinating or mixing things up.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by ekestic1976(f): 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2017
obailala:
These are the sort of referendums we should be calling for; referendums that can tackle the REAL problems we have in the land, not some flimsy idea of 'problems' created by dubious political opportunists to divert attention from their evil ways. Unfortunately, millions of emotionally battered masses have already been successfully brainwashed by the political opportunists....
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by clevadani: 5:14pm On Aug 07, 2017
As expected, a lot of people didn't read the post. Though I would be happy if our senate is disbanded, it seems this is another case of dictatorship on Africa. And this is why Africa will continue to struggle.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by monex(m): 5:27pm On Aug 07, 2017
obailala:

dont be short sighted or let your bias becloud you. There is a reason why there are three arms of government. if you scrap the legislature, you would easily have a dictatorship.

to put this in perspective, ask yourself if you would have supported scrapping of the legislature during the Jonathan years.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by obailala(m): 5:43pm On Aug 07, 2017
monex:

dont be short sighted or let your bias becloud you. There is a reason why there are three arms of government. if you scrap the legislature, you would easily have a dictatorship.

to put this in perspective, ask yourself if you would have supported scrapping of the legislature during the Jonathan years.
I would have supported scrapping of the legislature since 2003; that was how long ago I realised the NASS was just a useless gathering of rogues whose primary objective is to feed themselves fat and serve as a clog in the wheel of progress whenever their lootocratic desires are not met...

As offensive as it may sound, Nigeria (and many other developing countries) aren't mature enough for democratic rule, we need to have strong moral systems in place before we think of democracy. Failure to do so is what gives you a bunch of rogues who autocratically determine exactly how much they are to be paid; no wonder one of the poorest countries in the world also has the highest paid legislators in the world.

In all honesty, that NASS building deserves a MOAB bomb. Maybe if they are scrapped, Nigeria can think of a better alternative, maybe even a part-time parliament where the members are nothing but volunteers who wouldn't have any access to government funds.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by felaismyhero(m): 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
useless and too costly is the best description for the nigerian senate too.its a pity nigerians are too disunited to call for such votes
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by NothingDoMe: 6:49pm On Aug 07, 2017
jahsharon:

Referendum is not a sport club, so you cannot say Referendum for life the way you say Chelsea for life. Please be guided accordingly and stop embarrassing yourself.
So "for life" is only for football clubs? "For life" means I stand with this or that. Whether it's a club, an idea, or a movement, you can stand with it for life.

I really dislike myopic people. angry
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2017
A horrible country that has refused to stop enslaving black people....it is a wonder why we haven't gone to war with them.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by lukulukuboy(m): 8:58pm On Aug 07, 2017
Congrats to them! They have decided to move forward as a nation.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by menxer: 9:11pm On Aug 07, 2017
AngelicBeing:

The question is do we have such provisions of referendum in our constitution?

As for dictatorship, Gaddafi was one and Libya was better off than without him.
I wish he was a Nigerian.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by nemynely(m): 9:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
What are Nigerians waiting for?
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Lordshola: 9:29pm On Aug 07, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
Our wastern and nut head brothers won't welcome it!! smiley

I thought u are more intelligient than this bro, maybe u should stick to literature section instead of promoting e-tribal war.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by AngelicBeing: 9:31pm On Aug 07, 2017
menxer:

The question is do we have such provisions of referendum in our constitution?

As for dictatorship, Gaddafi was one and Libya was better off than without him.
I wish he was a Nigerian.
l am not sure we have such provisions in our Constitution, secondly, I agree with your position about Gaddafi, although he was authoritarian and a despot but he kept his country together and Libyans fared better than the way it is now, Libyan citizens under Gaddafi lived like Western Europeans but sadly after the Allied forces overtook Libya, the country has been taken over by vultures, different militias and it has been balkanized and fragmented into a city flowing with blood, lastly, I also wish Gaddafi was our president so he can flog sense into all the useless politicians we have masquerading at the corridors of power, Gaddafi would have used a whip like the one below. LOL grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Nigerians Actually Happy People - Myth Or Fact / Up To 13,000 Ukrainian Soldiers Killed Since Russian Invasion - Ukraine / People Complain That They Can't Access Services As Companies Mourn The Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.