Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:43 AM

Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum (15243 Views)

Iraq Parliament Votes To Remove ALL Foreign Troops From Iraq / Mauritania Dissolves 76 Political Parties For ‘Being Too Small’ / UN, UK Distance Self From Kurdistan Referendum And Secession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by yim(f): 11:09pm On Aug 07, 2017
Referendum would be nice but there are some factors that make me feel we are not ripe:
1. Poverty and illiteracy: many Nigerians are politically illiterate and many would vote wrongly.many are poor and a little Kobo in their pockets may sway their votes the wrong way
2. Population corruption: the north is said to be the region with the largest population and they are the major ones against corruption.in a situation where Jigawa state is more populated that Ebonyi, Kano more populated than Lagos, enough said on that.
3. Tribalism: I don't think I need to flog this issue further.
It would be nice to see us have a referendum and do things like sane people really do. I pray for this country
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by famzing(m): 11:59pm On Aug 07, 2017
Bukola saraki right now.

Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by Kingspin(m): 6:18am On Aug 08, 2017
madridguy:
Good development. We must follow suit too.

Nigeria senate is also "useless and too costly"
Most Nigerians no get sense even the educated one among.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by sweatlana: 7:37am On Aug 08, 2017
madridguy:
Good development. We must follow suit too.

Nigeria senate is also "useless and too costly"
End of democracy.

Can't u see this was masterminded by the president??

This gives him absolute power...
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by monex(m): 8:49am On Aug 08, 2017
obailala:
I would have supported scrapping of the legislature since 2003; that was how long ago I realised the NASS was just a useless gathering of rogues whose primary objective is to feed themselves fat and serve as a clog in the wheel of progress whenever their lootocratic desires are not met...

As offensive as it may sound, Nigeria (and many other developing countries) aren't mature enough for democratic rule, we need to have strong moral systems in place before we think of democracy. Failure to do so is what gives you a bunch of rogues who autocratically determine exactly how much they are to be paid; no wonder one of the poorest countries in the world also has the highest paid legislators in the world.

In all honesty, that NASS building deserves a MOAB bomb. Maybe if they are scrapped, Nigeria can think of a better alternative, maybe even a part-time parliament where the members are nothing but volunteers who wouldn't have any access to government funds.

we should then scrap civil service, executive, judiciary etc. Corruption pervades every facet of Nigeria. I agree we need string moral systems (and values) and of course we need to make government unattractive. this is not limited to the legislature.
Re: Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum by obailala(m): 9:34am On Aug 08, 2017
monex:

we should then scrap civil service, executive, judiciary etc. Corruption pervades every facet of Nigeria. I agree we need string moral systems (and values) and of course we need to make government unattractive. this is not limited to the legislature.
Yeah I agree it's everywhere, but the one of the legislators is particulary disheartening. Imagine the rogues fixing their own salaries and allowances?.. and of course, the executive and 170 million Nigerians are absolutely powerless to stop them from taking 25% of the entire wage bill of the nation.

Corruption is everywhere, but the brazen immorality of our legislators makes them the worst.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Nigerians Actually Happy People - Myth Or Fact / Up To 13,000 Ukrainian Soldiers Killed Since Russian Invasion - Ukraine / People Complain That They Can't Access Services As Companies Mourn The Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.