Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,812 members, 7,844,628 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre (1034 Views)

MURIC Tasks Obiano On Muslims In Anambra / Osinbajo And Obiano On A Boat In Otuocha, Anambra (Photo) / President Buhari Calls Obiano On Phone Over Ozubulu Catholic Church Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by AbCompiler042: 2:53pm On Aug 07, 2017
A Special Broadcast by the Governor of Anambra State, His Excellency, Chief Willie Obiano on the St Phillips Catholic Church Killings at Ozubulu on August 7, 2017.

Good morning fellow citizens

Ndi Anambra ekenem unu

With a sorrowful heart, I stand before you today to brief you on the tragic killing of 12 people at St Philips Catholic Church, Amakwa, Ozubulu yesterday.

First, I want to assure you all that what happened in Ozubulu yesterday was a tragic dimension of a long battle between two business partners who are from the same town. I have been fully informed that this dangerous conflict has been going on for a while in the country where they both live outside Nigeria before they decided to bring the conflict home. But let me assure you that Anambra is too hot for them to operate here, going forward.

This explanation, I believe, has erased the fears that the incident may have been caused by either some terrorist organizations or some members of some groups of agitators in the country.

Brothers and sisters, what happened in Ozubulu was neither a terror attack as we know it, nor a violent action by some agitators. We are dealing with a dangerous GANG WAR that has spilled over to Anambra State from another African country. But this is the last time it will happen under my watch!

Fellow citizens, I want to assure you that we are on top of this situation. We are completely in charge here. The people directly and remotely involved in this crime are known to the law enforcement agencies. But no suspect, no matter how highly placed, is above the law. So, we have taken bold steps to bring them to book and restore the peace and tranquility that Anambra State has enjoyed since the past three years.

Sincerely, there is no cause for fear or alarm here. Anambra state is safe. Our churches and places of worship are safe. So, our people should not be discouraged from going to church to serve their God because what happened in Amakwa, Ozubulu is an isolated case. It will not happen again! Ndi Anambra should continue to sleep with both eyes closed because we are staying awake for them. In the words of Wendell Philips, the American abolitionist and liberal activist, “the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.” We have chosen to stay awake that Anambra may find sleep! I repeat, never again will this type of bloodshed happen in Anambra State under me!

Ndi Anambra, in all our 25-year history, never has a single act of senseless violence consumed so many lives. I strongly condemn this wanton killing of our fellow citizens who left their loved ones in the early hours of Sunday morning to worship their God. I condemn the senseless violation of sacred places of worship by people to whom neither man nor God is worthy of respect or honour. I condemn these people who did not think twice before placing such a heavy burden on our humanity!

All the shadowy characters behind this crime shall account for it. This is the first and the last of this appalling crime!

Fellow citizens, I call on you today, to join hands with me to rid our society of all vestiges of crime and criminality. Nothing else can stand in the way of accelerated development as crime does. We are familiar with this fact in Anambra State. That is why we have fought tooth and nail to usher in the long period of peace we have enjoyed in Anambra State.

To our numerous friends and partners, I want to assure you that Anambra is still Nigeria’s safest state. Indeed, the Ozubulu killings have only strengthened our commitment to create a safer, business-friendly and prosperous state. We remain focused on our Vision and Mission to this great state. No amount of threats or wholesale destruction can shake our commitment to these ideals.

Ndi Anambra, I have declared today a Day of Mourning in honour of our brothers and sisters that were slain yesterday. We shall observe a minute of silence in their honour at 12 noon today and special prayers shall be offered for them in churches and prayer houses across Nigeria and in the Diaspora. We have also opened a Condolence Register for them in the Government House.

Finally, for the 18 survivors of this carnage who are nursing different injuries in the hospital, my administration shall pick up all their medical bills. I have visited them at the hospital to ascertain their recovery rate. I have also dispatched 50 additional medical doctors to the hospital to ensure that they have access to the best medical care possible. Indeed, all hands must be on deck to save more lives.

At this juncture, I want to thank the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari who called me last night from London to commiserate with Ndi Anambra on this tragic incident. I must also thank the Acting President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof Yemi Osinbajo who also called last night to condole with us. My gratitude goes to everyone who has called my Team and I to say a soothing word since this incident happened. Your calls have re-affirmed my belief that we are one people under God! It has strengthened my faith in the unity of this country.

Anambra State has survived incredible odds in our modest history. This too shall pass!

God bless Anambra State

God Bless Nigeria

Thank you

Dalunu!

Willie Obiano
Governor

Source:http://www.cfrmagazine.com/2017/08/special-broadcast-by-gov-willie-obiano.html?m=1

Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by ettybaba(m): 2:54pm On Aug 07, 2017
Multiplier effect of inordinate love of money by a people.
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by adadike281(f): 3:05pm On Aug 07, 2017
Thk u gov Obiano. pls I only want one thing. bring the perpetrators to book and make them pay by firing them to death. I couldn't stop crying at ozubulu yest. My sister survived but others were not so lucky.

1 Like

Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by seunmsg(m): 3:19pm On Aug 07, 2017
I thought Igbos and FFK said Fulani herdsmen are responsible for the attack.

In as much as we should all condemn the attack and empathise with those that lost loved ones, we should always endeavour to stand by the truth and not politicise every unfortunate events.

The perpetrators of the heinous crime should be fished out and punished without mercy. The church should also do some soul searching and retrace their steps where they have gone wrong. What sort of Christians accepts the donation of a church building from a well known drug baron?

I even read somewhere that the bishop and igwe have both been trying to settle the drug dispute between the two warring factions. Religious and traditional leaders should not be seen to be offering any kind of support to criminals in anyway.

1 Like

Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by MyNewJackeT: 3:29pm On Aug 07, 2017
THE TRUTH IS NO ONE CAN PROTECT YOU, the police only come after the crime is committed, that's why republicans in america advocate for guns because at the end of the day if terror comes its down to you defending yourself, if people were armed in that area I don't believe those guys would have left without a fight.
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by sunnyb0b0(m): 3:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
seunmsg:

In as much as we should all condemn the attack and empathise with those that lost loved ones, we should always endeavour to stand by the truth and not politicise every unfortunate events.

The perpetrators of the heinous crime should be fished out and punished without mercy. The church should also do some soul searching and retrace their steps where they have gone wrong. What sort of Christians accepts the donation of a church building from a well known drug baron?

I even read somewhere that the bishop and igwe have both been trying to settle the drug dispute between the two warring factions. Religious and traditional leaders should not be seen to be offering any kind of support to criminals in anyway.

How would the church know he's a drug baron?
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by RoyalUc(m): 3:37pm On Aug 07, 2017
adadike281:
Thk u gov Obiano. pls I only want one thing. bring the perpetrators to book and make them pay by firing them to death. I couldn't stop crying at ozubulu yest. My sister survived but others were not so lucky.

Sorry for the pain you had to pass through and thank God for sparing your sister. Ndo o!
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by MyNewJackeT: 3:37pm On Aug 07, 2017
seunmsg:

The perpetrators of the heinous crime should be fished out and punished without mercy. The church should also do some soul searching here and retrace their steps where they have gone wrong. What sort of Christians accepts the donation of a church building from a well known drug baron? I even read somewhere that the bishop and igwe have both been trying to settle the drug dispute between the two warring factions. Religious and traditional leaders should not be seen to be offering any kind of support to criminals in anyway.

which drugs are you talking about, have you interviewed people in that area to see if there's been drug running the streets of recent, don't forget that there are eye witness reports too, and they counter your own version of the story
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by adadike281(f): 3:40pm On Aug 07, 2017
RoyalUc:

Sorry for the pain you had to pass through and thank God for sparing your sister. Ndo o!
Thks darling
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by RisingSun1: 3:45pm On Aug 07, 2017
This idiotic governor is still blabbing

No previous history of drug rated attack in Ozubulu community.

No earlier threat of attack given to the Church

Non of the attackers were arrested as suspects who may give information

Now how and why did the Governor quickly concluded that the attackers were. drug barons?

There is no doubt that these are Fulani Herdsmen carrying out jihad in a Church.

Gov Obiano is a big fool.He does not want Igbos in Anambra to carry out reprisal attacks which will generate into ethnic crises. He only wanted a peaceful atmosphere for his upcoming election .That's why he quickly buried the truth by hiding the REAL attackers.

This is the first time in this country that an investigation was carried out and concluded within 2hours of the incident.

1 Like

Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by RoyalUc(m): 3:46pm On Aug 07, 2017
MyNewJackeT:
THE TRUTH IS NO ONE CAN PROTECT YOU, the police only come after the crime is committed, that's why republicans in america advocate for guns because at the end of the day if terror comes its down to you defending yourself, if people were armed in that area I don't believe those guys would have left without a fight.

It is true no one can protect anyone but advocating that everyone carries guns, that will be too much to deal with. Can you imagine what our society will turn into if we all carry guns?
I even desire that guns and all forms of weapons should be completely abolished - not even security operatives should carry guns.

1 Like

Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by Terrorsquad101: 3:49pm On Aug 07, 2017
seunmsg:

. Dayo Dayo. how far na?
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by MyNewJackeT: 3:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
RoyalUc:

It is true no one can protect anyone but advocating that everyone carries guns, that will be too much to deal with. Can you imagine what our society will turn into if we all carry guns?
I even desire that guns and all forms of weapons should be completely abolished - not even security operatives should carry guns.

There will be peace, there are some places that people don't rob because they know its secured, there's an area in other countries where you don't and can't carry out terror attacks because they are well armed, and the truth is that thieves and criminals and terrorists will always get guns illegally to carry out their plans leaving the citizens to their fate.

so why not every individual carry theirs, I don't mean heavy guns just light guns for defense and also must be kept at home.
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by bakila: 4:01pm On Aug 07, 2017
RisingSun1:
This idiotic governor is still blabbing

No previous history of drug rated attack in Ozubulu community.

No earlier threat of attack given to the Church

Non of the attackers were arrested as suspects who may give information

Now how and why did the Governor quickly concluded that the attackers were. drug barons?

There is no doubt that these are Fulani Herdsmen carrying out jihad in a Church.

Gov Obiano is a big fool.He does not want Igbos in Anambra to carry out reprisal attacks which will generate into ethnic crises. He only wanted a peaceful atmosphere for his upcoming election .That's why he quickly buried the truth by hiding the REAL attackers.

This is the first time in this country that an investigation was carried out and concluded within 2hours of the incident.
Extract you hand from the sand. The real attackers are known to people of Ozubulu. Keep you Biafra business aside and use your sense. Why did Bishop not come out and deny the accusation? Why did he not go to Ozubulu to comiserate with the community?
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by RisingSun1: 4:19pm On Aug 07, 2017
bakila:

Extract you hand from the sand. The real attackers are known to people of Ozubulu. Keep you Biafra business aside and use your sense. Why did Bishop not come out and deny the accusation? Why did he not go to Ozubulu to comiserate with the community?
This man you are confusing yourself

Are u saying the Catholic bishop of that area is responsible for the killing?

The 'Bishop' they mentioned was a nickname of a phantom drug baron in South Africa.

The people of Ozubulu know the attackers were Fulani herdsmen.They also said that the attackers were dressed in Army uniform and were not speaking igbo

1 Like

Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by RoyalUc(m): 6:37pm On Aug 07, 2017
adadike281:
Thks darling

You're welcome
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by obyrich(m): 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2017
sunnyb0b0:

How would the church know he's a drug baron?
The church is not the building but human beings. It is easy to know
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by sunnyb0b0(m): 8:30pm On Aug 07, 2017
obyrich:
The church is not the building but human beings. It is easy to know

I asked "how would they know?" Tell me how
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by DerideGull(m): 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2017
seunmsg:

You simply cannot be serious. Why the fishing expedition when you have already known that the church was funded by a drug baron. Nigerians tend to behave like stiffs.
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by DerideGull(m): 8:38pm On Aug 07, 2017
AbCompiler042:
A Special Broadcast by the Governor of Anambra State, His Excellency, Chief Willie Obiano on the St Phillips Catholic Church Killings at Ozubulu on August 7, 2017.

Good morning fellow citizens

Ndi Anambra ekenem unu

With a sorrowful heart, I stand before you today to brief you on the tragic killing of 12 people at St Philips Catholic Church, Amakwa, Ozubulu yesterday.

First, I want to assure you all that what happened in Ozubulu yesterday was a tragic dimension of a long battle between two business partners who are from the same town. I have been fully informed that this dangerous conflict has been going on for a while in the country where they both live outside Nigeria before they decided to bring the conflict home. But let me assure you that Anambra is too hot for them to operate here, going forward.

This explanation, I believe, has erased the fears that the incident may have been caused by either some terrorist organizations or some members of some groups of agitators in the country.

Brothers and sisters, what happened in Ozubulu was neither a terror attack as we know it, nor a violent action by some agitators. We are dealing with a dangerous GANG WAR that has spilled over to Anambra State from another African country. But this is the last time it will happen under my watch!

Fellow citizens, I want to assure you that we are on top of this situation. We are completely in charge here. The people directly and remotely involved in this crime are known to the law enforcement agencies. But no suspect, no matter how highly placed, is above the law. So, we have taken bold steps to bring them to book and restore the peace and tranquility that Anambra State has enjoyed since the past three years.

Sincerely, there is no cause for fear or alarm here. Anambra state is safe. Our churches and places of worship are safe. So, our people should not be discouraged from going to church to serve their God because what happened in Amakwa, Ozubulu is an isolated case. It will not happen again! Ndi Anambra should continue to sleep with both eyes closed because we are staying awake for them. In the words of Wendell Philips, the American abolitionist and liberal activist, “the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.” We have chosen to stay awake that Anambra may find sleep! I repeat, never again will this type of bloodshed happen in Anambra State under me!

Ndi Anambra, in all our 25-year history, never has a single act of senseless violence consumed so many lives. I strongly condemn this wanton killing of our fellow citizens who left their loved ones in the early hours of Sunday morning to worship their God. I condemn the senseless violation of sacred places of worship by people to whom neither man nor God is worthy of respect or honour. I condemn these people who did not think twice before placing such a heavy burden on our humanity!

All the shadowy characters behind this crime shall account for it. This is the first and the last of this appalling crime!

Fellow citizens, I call on you today, to join hands with me to rid our society of all vestiges of crime and criminality. Nothing else can stand in the way of accelerated development as crime does. We are familiar with this fact in Anambra State. That is why we have fought tooth and nail to usher in the long period of peace we have enjoyed in Anambra State.

To our numerous friends and partners, I want to assure you that Anambra is still Nigeria’s safest state. Indeed, the Ozubulu killings have only strengthened our commitment to create a safer, business-friendly and prosperous state. We remain focused on our Vision and Mission to this great state. No amount of threats or wholesale destruction can shake our commitment to these ideals.

Ndi Anambra, I have declared today a Day of Mourning in honour of our brothers and sisters that were slain yesterday. We shall observe a minute of silence in their honour at 12 noon today and special prayers shall be offered for them in churches and prayer houses across Nigeria and in the Diaspora. We have also opened a Condolence Register for them in the Government House.

Finally, for the 18 survivors of this carnage who are nursing different injuries in the hospital, my administration shall pick up all their medical bills. I have visited them at the hospital to ascertain their recovery rate. I have also dispatched 50 additional medical doctors to the hospital to ensure that they have access to the best medical care possible. Indeed, all hands must be on deck to save more lives.

At this juncture, I want to thank the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari who called me last night from London to commiserate with Ndi Anambra on this tragic incident. I must also thank the Acting President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof Yemi Osinbajo who also called last night to condole with us. My gratitude goes to everyone who has called my Team and I to say a soothing word since this incident happened. Your calls have re-affirmed my belief that we are one people under God! It has strengthened my faith in the unity of this country.

Anambra State has survived incredible odds in our modest history. This too shall pass!

God bless Anambra State

God Bless Nigeria

Thank you

Dalunu!

Willie Obiano
Governor

Source:http://www.cfrmagazine.com/2017/08/special-broadcast-by-gov-willie-obiano.html?m=1

This complete fool should stop acting as if he knew the people who committed the crime. In a civilized society, this jackass would have been investigated for silly insinuations.
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by obyrich(m): 9:02pm On Aug 07, 2017
sunnyb0b0:

I asked "how would they know?" Tell me how
I won't tell you because i believe you are a human being.
Re: Special Broadcast By Gov. Willie Obiano On Ozubulu Massacre by sunnyb0b0(m): 9:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
obyrich:
I won't tell you because i believe you are a human being.

Smh

(1) (Reply)

Edo Governor, Obaseki Launches Traffic Control And Management EDSTMA (pics) / The Igbo Group In Abuja Yesterday Were Fake(photos) / See The Picture Of This Young Presidential Aspirant I Came Across Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.