Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,382 members, 7,850,373 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:57 PM

The Right To Bear Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Right To Bear Arms (347 Views)

Police Give South-West Governors Conditions For Amotekun Corps To Bear Arms / El-zakzaky: India’s Shi’ites To Bear Cost Of IMN Leader’s Treatment / Oluwo Of Iwo Offers To Bear Buhari’s Sickness, Says President Deserves 8 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Right To Bear Arms by RevDesm0ndJuju: 8:39am On Aug 09, 2017
We need to overhaul the British handed down blanket ban on personal armament and go back to the universal practice of self preservation (by any means).

Our ancestors bore arms and there wasn't any man of age who wasn't required not to have his own arsenal of weapons primarily for his own defense and to be deployed in a time of war.

The Fulanis are already armed to their teeth and are freely roaming the bush with AK-47s and even in city areas they move with machetes hanging from their waist side without the Police batting an eye.

I recall an episode I had with a useless police officer in a random checkpoint; after a thorough check, the only thing the idiot could come up with was a Swiss army survival kit which he deemed to be a weapon. The useless police man said he will be arresting for possession of a deadly weapon and that he will confiscate the offending item. Now, I didn't mind going to the station with him but what I was really incensed about was his declaration to confiscate my Swiss army kit which apart from being a very handy kit at my disposal was at that time a very expensive gift item given to me as a parting gift from an expatriate colleague. The kit cost as much as $400 back then and had everything from pliers, screwdrivers and even a flint for making fire. The most menacing appendage was a 2inch serrated blade which the drunken police man declared the offensive weapon. Well, I did not go to any useless police station that night and I did get my Swiss army kit back without paying a dime and with much curses rained on the useless police man who after he saw how emboldened I was started asking me their usual foolish question : Who you be?

Now, the above experience does not show alone how stupid Nigerian police officers are with regards to any form of "offensive" weapon but clearly depicts a disparity when dealing with we from the south in the south to how the police react to Northerners brandishing swords openly in the north. And all this stems from early British occupation of both southern and Northern Nigeria.

When the British arrived in southern Nigeria they met a well armed populace of gun ownership and gun makers (especially in the Niger Delta. The Niger Delta had been accumulating arms since their first contact with the Portuguese traders and the British first had to disarm the populace in other to make colonising them easier. The British are very well aware of the dangers of an armed society and how that can be a stumbling block towards their total annihilation and tyrannical rule over the people as they learnt a bitter disgraceful lesson at the hands of a bunch of American European settlers who drove them out of their continent in the greatest military upset the world has ever recorded. It is on this very painful lesson that the British sought to put a blanket ban on personal armament not only in their colonies but also back home. Today, the UK has one of the most absurd and useless laws concerning personal armament as even a toothpick can be declared as an offensive weapon - No joke!

In contrast, when the British landed in the north, there were hardly any guns so much so that Lugard took Kano with just a few British mounted cavalry, a lone gatling machine gun and 800 auxiliary African soldiers. Lugard, after taking Kano did not care so much about disarming the sword wielding jihadist but concentrated on preventing them getting their hands on guns or even owning guns. Lugard took this task so seriously that he did not allow Awusa/Fulani Muslims into his assembled northern force but rather drew his army from the pagan tribes in the middle belt.

This little piece of history explains a lot why gun and any other form of arms ownership is severely frowned upon by the Nigerian police (a direct legacy of the British occupation) in the south but for some reason it is OK for fulanis to move freely with guns and swords.

We urgently need a review of our gun laws and return back to how our ancestors lived in relative peace with their guns stacked by the doorways of their huts.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 09, 2017
You're right man, abokiis roaming freely with knives and guns.

1 Like

Re: The Right To Bear Arms by RevDesm0ndJuju: 8:47am On Aug 09, 2017
fuckerstard:
You're right man, abokiis roaming freely with knives and guns.

And the only thing to check those cowards is bigger knives and guns! Not the useless police or Sunni Nigerian Army but guns in the hands of every man, woman and if be child as well!

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Is Honored In Asaba , Receives Portrait (photos) / Buhari: Beyond ‘resume Or Resign’ / In Saudi Arabia, Dabbing Is A Crime, Seriously

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.