Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,290 members, 7,822,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

On Oro Festival - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / On Oro Festival (1361 Views)

How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos / ORO Festival: Our Culture! / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Oro Festival by Lukgaf(m): 8:09pm On Aug 09, 2017
9/8/2017
ON ORO FESTIVAL _( Festival that restrict females movement )_
Oro Festival is an annual festival in most places in Yoruba land. Most places in Oyo state, Osun state, Ogun state and others mark this traditional festival yearly to the extent that a city in Oyo is called ISEYIN-ORO.
Odun Oro as mostly called is the festival that restrict the movement of women and young girls partially or totally throughout the period (at most a month). That period, women and young girls are not allowed to go to their schools and places of work in the name of the festival. The doers often claimed misfortune for those that violates their which is to go out among females. Haba, What a wicked festival!
Even, civilization apary, a person having very little sense of humor would know that the festival should be cancelled. Why? Because adequate measures have been put in place from time to time to fight insurgency- that threaten the life of individuals so that there could be freedom, policemen go out to ensure people are saved. How would you leave such festival that claimed misfortune for females unbanned?
In Nigeria of today, there are three recognised religion; Islam, Christianity and Traditional. Islam as it connotes peace, her believers celebrate thier weekly and annual festivals (Jumat, Eid il Fitri and Eid I'll Kabeer), people rejoice with them without restricting thier movement. Christians on the other hand celebrate Christmas, Easter and new year, people rejoice with them and also their freedom does not altered. How would the minorities in Nigeria, I mean the traditionalists be allowed to restrict our female movements in the name of their evil festival? Practise your believes and let practise ours.
It is even bizarre for such restriction to hold in this country after it was stated clearly in our constitution that every citizens should practise his religion freely without disturbing others, how would our government laid with the constitution and look at this without any say.
Our women are also the problem, they entertain fear and think their going out would truly led to their misfortune. How would a believer who listens to preaches in their respective worship places that no one can bring joy and misfortune except what thier creator has ordained believe this crooked lie. If you are still afraid, then let me remind you of a pious pregnant Muslim sister in Iseyin who came out during their festival period sometime ago, she was to them possessed by their god but fortunately the sister gave birth to triplet that night. Is that fortune or misfortune?
To this end, I am using this medium to call on all Nigerian who are females to disregard their lie and go out during this period and have it in mind that nothing would happen to them. Oro festival is an evil festival that should be abolished. Join me in campaigning this too!
By:
Lukumon Gafari Abiodun (Lukgaf).
Re: On Oro Festival by macof(m): 10:10pm On Aug 10, 2017
Lukgaf:
9/8/2017
ON ORO FESTIVAL _( Festival that restrict females movement )_
Oro Festival is an annual festival in most places in Yoruba land. Most places in Oyo state, Osun state, Ogun state and others mark this traditional festival yearly to the extent that a city in Oyo is called ISEYIN-ORO.
Odun Oro as mostly called is the festival that restrict the movement of women and young girls partially or totally throughout the period (at most a month). That period, women and young girls are not allowed to go to their schools and places of work in the name of the festival. The doers often claimed misfortune for those that violates their which is to go out among females. Haba, What a wicked festival!
Even, civilization apary, a person having very little sense of humor would know that the festival should be cancelled. Why? Because adequate measures have been put in place from time to time to fight insurgency- that threaten the life of individuals so that there could be freedom, policemen go out to ensure people are saved. How would you leave such festival that claimed misfortune for females unbanned?
In Nigeria of today, there are three recognised religion; Islam, Christianity and Traditional. Islam as it connotes peace, her believers celebrate thier weekly and annual festivals (Jumat, Eid il Fitri and Eid I'll Kabeer), people rejoice with them without restricting thier movement. Christians on the other hand celebrate Christmas, Easter and new year, people rejoice with them and also their freedom does not altered. How would the minorities in Nigeria, I mean the traditionalists be allowed to restrict our female movements in the name of their evil festival? Practise your believes and let practise ours.
It is even bizarre for such restriction to hold in this country after it was stated clearly in our constitution that every citizens should practise his religion freely without disturbing others, how would our government laid with the constitution and look at this without any say.
Our women are also the problem, they entertain fear and think their going out would truly led to their misfortune. How would a believer who listens to preaches in their respective worship places that no one can bring joy and misfortune except what thier creator has ordained believe this crooked lie. If you are still afraid, then let me remind you of a pious pregnant Muslim sister in Iseyin who came out during their festival period sometime ago, she was to them possessed by their god but fortunately the sister gave birth to triplet that night. Is that fortune or misfortune?
To this end, I am using this medium to call on all Nigerian who are females to disregard their lie and go out during this period and have it in mind that nothing would happen to them. Oro festival is an evil festival that should be abolished. Join me in campaigning this too!
By:
Lukumon Gafari Abiodun (Lukgaf).

you seem like a mad man. Before your grandfather was ever conceived Oro festival existed and it will continue to exist. if you don't like it leave yorubaland
go to saudi arabia and practice arab traditions like the slave you are
Re: On Oro Festival by Lukgaf(m): 10:14pm On Aug 10, 2017
macof:

you seem like a mad man. Before your grandfather was ever conceived Oro festival existed and it will continue to exist. if you don't like it leave yorubaland
go to saudi arabia and practice arab traditions like the slave you are
silence is the best answer for someone like u
Re: On Oro Festival by macof(m): 10:25pm On Aug 10, 2017
Lukgaf:

silence is the best answer for someone like u
you lack content, of course you will be silent, not to fool yourself even more.
Oro festival is here to stay, it existed before you and it will outlive you, if you don't like it... go back to my previous post and take that advice
Re: On Oro Festival by Ajikobi1: 11:35pm On Aug 10, 2017
Don't tamper with their culture

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Oro Festival by KweenAngela(f): 8:10am On Aug 12, 2017
Your Culture is your heritage

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Forces Girl To Strip Down After She Was Caught Wearing Camouflage / Itan Ilu Ondo / Characteristics Of People Born In The Month Of July.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.