Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos (21367 Views)

Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 / Igboho: Oro Worshippers Impose 7-day Curfew; Women, Visitors To Remain Indoors / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by information1: 11:55pm On May 09, 2018
On the 8th of May, the Ikorodu city on the outskirts of Lagos Metropolis marked its seasonal Oro festival at night, and the effects of the yearly celebration have been recorded.

The Oro Festival in Ikorodu on Tuesday paralyzed social and economic activities and restricted movement of women in spite of the assurance given by the police and the traditional institution on free movement.

NAN reports that women in the town couldn't leave there home, while banks and other businesses shut down, with no vehicular and human movements in major sections such as Aga, Ojubode, and motor parks,

Lagos Police Commissioner, Edgal Imohimi, and Ikorodu monarch, Oba Kabiru Shotobi, had on Monday jointly issued a statement, assuring women of their safety during the festival contrary to the agelong practice restricting movement.

The statement had blamed "mischief makers" for the development in the town, going by a social media report on the festival.

It also quoted the Commissioner of Police as saying that the command would not tolerate any discriminatory tradition against the female gender.

The statement further warned that the command would deal with anybody who hides under the guise of custom or tradition to foster trouble in the state.

(NAN)
https://talkgeria.com/oro-festival-paralysed-activities-ikorodu-town-lagos/
Cc: Lalasticlala, mynd44 seun MissyB3, Fynestboi, Sissy3,

2 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 12:10am On May 10, 2018
Useless culture

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Obainoneandonly(m): 12:40am On May 10, 2018
in dis modern age.in a city trying to b number one in Africa.. if it was another tribe now,some people would say they are uncivilized

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Omololu2121: 12:48am On May 10, 2018
If you're not satisfy with it,go back to your state.

I was there

A stuupidd boy is already telling me to go back to my state too grin

They make it sound as if Lagos state does not have indigenes on nairaland grin

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by chat2deen(m): 2:22am On May 10, 2018
oro baba ooo grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by joeaz58(m): 5:12am On May 10, 2018
nawa oo...pls oo what is the usefulness of oro in our society tongue

3 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Nigeriadondie: 5:14am On May 10, 2018
Omololu2121:

I was there
Cone head spotted

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Holyvurgin17(m): 5:16am On May 10, 2018
Oro festival should be modernized
Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by gerrardomendes(m): 5:18am On May 10, 2018
Sophistication

2 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Azazi(m): 5:21am On May 10, 2018
Omololu2121:

I was there

Easy to say, Lagos na your own State? Why not go back to yours first.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by MRAKBEE(m): 5:27am On May 10, 2018
Any cultural practice that makes non initiates to stay indoors for days in this 21st century is crude and needs to be amended

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by oobbaassbbaarr: 5:27am On May 10, 2018
Omololu2121:

I wa there

I support!

6 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Sarang(f): 5:32am On May 10, 2018
Waiting for the TRIBAL FIGHTERS ASSOCIATION OF NL grin

1 Like

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by HallaDaTruth: 5:34am On May 10, 2018
Smelling culture . Other countries are busy creating Advanced technology , these rat brains are busy serving demons and releasing negative energy in the name of CULTure . Ikorodu is one hell of a useless area in Lagos

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by hakeem4(m): 5:36am On May 10, 2018
They should probably stop this archaic belief

joeaz58:
they go to thank their gods for sparing their lives. You know the Yoruba is a patriarchal culture. Were male are seen above over ladies that’s why they don’t allow them

1 Like

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by QuietHammer(m): 5:39am On May 10, 2018
joeaz58:

What is the usefulness of Christmas and Ileya celebrations?

Obainoneandonly:
in dis modern age.in a city trying to b number one in Africa..
if it was another tribe now,some people would say they are uncivilized

Tell that to the Chinese

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by seunlayi(m): 5:43am On May 10, 2018
Take it or leave it, the tradition will go into extinction very soon

4 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by pat077: 5:49am On May 10, 2018
Lubbish lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by GrammarNazi1(m): 5:50am On May 10, 2018
Omololu2121:

I was there
If you're not satisfied...

10 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by MYHUBBY: 6:13am On May 10, 2018
Obainoneandonly:

what's you people problem, this same culture was done at Nnewi back then when I was there and I still believe they do it. must u y'all always wail about another man's culture

you people get problem o

Hausa own might be violence but you yinmiri own is even worse, why wail unnecessarily when this kind of culture is practiced in your urban towns? you people should always try and wail with sense

this culture would not stop and if you ain't ok with it, relocate bck to ur hometown

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by alatbaba1(m): 6:17am On May 10, 2018
hmmm
Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by dimexy247(m): 6:18am On May 10, 2018
Really?
Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Smarttravels(f): 6:19am On May 10, 2018
Obainoneandonly:
When your people enforce sit at home in your states, we don't mind and we don't care because it is non of our business. So, leave us with our cultures. If you are not okay with it, face "young shall grow motor park".

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Empiree: 6:21am On May 10, 2018
information1:
On the 8th of May, the Ikorodu city on the outskirts of Lagos Metropolis marked its seasonal Oro festival at night, and the effects of the yearly celebration have been recorded.

The Oro Festival in Ikorodu on Tuesday paralyzed social and economic activities and restricted movement of women in spite of the assurance given by the police and the traditional institution on free movement.

NAN reports that women in the town couldn't leave there home, while banks and other businesses shut down, with no vehicular and human movements in major sections such as Aga, Ojubode, and motor parks,

Lagos Police Commissioner, Edgal Imohimi, and Ikorodu monarch, Oba Kabiru Shotobi, had on Monday jointly issued a statement, assuring women of their safety during the festival contrary to the agelong practice restricting movement.

The statement had blamed "mischief makers" for the development in the town, going by a social media report on the festival.

It also quoted the Commissioner of Police as saying that the command would not tolerate any discriminatory tradition against the female gender.

The statement further warned that the command would deal with anybody who hides under the guise of custom or tradition to foster trouble in the state.

(NAN)
https://talkgeria.com/oro-festival-paralysed-activities-ikorodu-town-lagos/
Cc: Lalasticlala, mynd44 seun MissyB3, Fynestboi, Sissy3,
this is rubbish they want to infest in ilorin is the reason Yoruba, non-Muslims especially are agitating for taking kwara and ilorin. This is why I'm never supporting this type of typical Yoruba practices and culture in ilorin
Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Oloripelebe: 6:22am On May 10, 2018
grin

But police gave assurance that dia wl be movement nao grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by brainworkng: 6:25am On May 10, 2018
Keep leaving in an achaic world when ur mates are advancing in technology
Omololu2121:

I was there

1 Like

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by brainworkng: 6:29am On May 10, 2018
Oro that cannot curb "badoo" activities at ikorodu...Yorubas won't stop deceiving themselves...so many science and technology yet to be discovered. You are there deceiving people all in the name of culture. SMH undecided

4 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by brainworkng: 6:32am On May 10, 2018
Modernize to what? Oro that cannot curb badoo activities...let them keep deceiving you people. You urself needs to be modernize grin
Holyvurgin17:
Oro festival should be modernized

3 Likes

Re: How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos by Bigval5: 6:35am On May 10, 2018
MYHUBBY:

what's you people problem, this same culture was done at Nnewi back then when I was there and I still believe they do it. must u y'all always wail about another man's culture

you people get problem o

Hausa own might be violence but you yinmiri own is even worse, why wail unnecessarily when this kind of culture is practiced in your urban towns? you people should always try and wail with sense

this culture would not stop and if you ain't ok with it, relocate bck to ur hometown

Oro was done at Nnewi�

Receive sense Jor now shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aminu Ado Bayero: ‘My Appointment Not Meant To Spite Emir Sanusi’ / Origin Of Ubulu-uku. / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.