Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? (3463 Views)

SPECIAL THREAD FOR LECTURING VACANCIES, 2018 / Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) / 2017 NDDC Foreign Msc And PhD Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2017
I have always wanted to be a top researcher and professor of medical physiology.And I have taken some steps to achieve that. But in Nigeria today, merit suffers because of the "man-know-man" syndrome. With good undergraduate cgpa and four research papers and msc, what are my chances?
Oga Lalasticlala! Please post to front page!
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
Your chances are limited because education in Nigeria has become a joke.

Most of us running Phd now are unemployed meaning after Phd some will still be. Phd is fast becoming pure water.

Even in Nigeria you could get a lecturing job and still get fired for running Phd just like what happened to me where I was working a few months back. But just don't want to disclose or create a thread on it. Because my colleagues are still there and I don't want the tactless proprietor to start his usual habit of annoyance and venting his anger on them as he did the last time someone brought an internal memo here.

Even after seeking permission to attend lectures, I was given only oral approval. The worst part was a six-day leave for examination which was given an outright disapproval. I left for my exams however, and before I could say Jack, I was fired- just two days of departure.
Yet the school along with it parent body and subsidiaries keeps advertisings year-in-year-out. I pity the next set of people that would be employed there.
Sorry for digressing.
My advice for anyone is to search for management trainee jobs after masters and save towards running PhD in saner climes. Possibly seeking lecturing job in some middle eastern country like Dubai cos nothing works in this Nigeria any longer.

Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 9:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
That is a private uni, I presume?
handsomeclouds:

Most of us running Phd now are unemployed meaning after Phd some will still be. Phd is fast becoming pure water.

Even in Nigeria you could get a lecturing job and still be fired for running Phd just like what happened to me where I was working a few months back. But just don't want to disclose or create a thread on it. Because my colleagues are still there and I don't want the tactless proprietor to start his usual habit of annoyance and venting his anger on them as he did the last time someone brought an internal memo here.

Even after knowing and seeking permission to attend lectures it was given only oral approval. A six-day leave for examination wasn't approved, I left for my exams however and before I could say Jack, I was fired, just only two days of departure.

My advice for anyone is to search for management trainee jobs after masters and save towards running PhD in saner climes.
That is a private uni, I presume?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 9:41pm On Aug 09, 2017
What about after a Phd?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 09, 2017
preciousnobel:
That is a private uni, I presume?That is a private uni, I presume?
Sure its private.
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 09, 2017
preciousnobel:
What about after a Phd?
Check the no of people running PhD and the no of universities can they absorb them. The truth be told Phd is and would become something of lower value than olevel of those days. It is in faculty of education already. It would soon be in other fields its just a matter of time.
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 9:46pm On Aug 09, 2017
handsomeclouds:

Sure its private.
Do know what obtains in public unis? Besides, is msc degree an imperative, what about a straight phd?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 09, 2017
preciousnobel:
Do know what obtains in public unis? Besides, is msc degree an imperative, what about a straight phd?
Getting a job in public university is very cool. From experience its not based on merit. Do not waste your time on them (I mean hoping to get a job in a public university) except you are certain your connections are strong. What do you mean by straight Phd?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 9:55pm On Aug 09, 2017
handsomeclouds:

Getting a job in public university is very cool. From experience its not based on merit. Do not waste your time on them (I mean hoping to get a job in a public university) except you are certain your connections are strong. What do you mean by straight Phd?
I mean a direct phd without msc
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 09, 2017
preciousnobel:
I mean a direct phd without msc
Not in Nigeria.Although, I saw it on a postgraduate advert for UNN or Uniport about three or four years back. I doubt if it is still obtainable there.
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 10:06pm On Aug 09, 2017
Does a direct phd make one ineligible to apply for lecturing positions in Nigeria?
handsomeclouds:

Not in Nigeria.Although, I saw it on a postgraduate advert for UNN or Uniport about three or four years back. I doubt if it is still obtainable there.
Does a direct phd make one ineligible to apply for lecturing positions in Nigeria?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Policymaker88: 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2017
preciousnobel:
Does a direct phd make one ineligible to apply for lecturing positions in Nigeria? Does a direct phd make one ineligible to apply for lecturing positions in Nigeria?
No, it does not, however I don't think any universities in Nigeria offer a direct PhD at the moment but I am sure foreign universities do in exceptional cases.
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by klark3: 7:23am On Aug 10, 2017
Doing a phd in this country without having a lecturing job already is not advisable.
Outside government universites, lecturing is not interesting, because lecturing in most private universities is just like teaching in a secondary school, their remuneration & staff welfare is so appalling. To get a lecturing job in govt universities requires very high connection, from government house. If u have no lecturing job, use your phd money to start a trade or buy a car. One can't just be suffering all through his life without results. Nigeria is messed up, academic qualifications have lost its value....Masters is my final bustop...not doing any fvcking phd till i get a reliable lecturing job in a government university......

6 Likes

Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 10, 2017
handsomeclouds:

Even in Nigeria you could get a lecturing job and still get fired for running Phd just like what happened to me where I was working a few months back. But just don't want to disclose or create a thread on it. Because my colleagues are still there and I don't want the tactless proprietor to start his usual habit of annoyance and venting his anger on them as he did the last time someone brought an internal memo here.

Even after seeking permission to attend lectures, I was given only oral approval. The worst part was a six-day leave for examination which was given an outright disapproval. I left for my exams however, and before I could say Jack, I was fired- just two days of departure.
Yet the school along with it parent body and subsidiaries keeps advertisings year-in-year-out. I pity the next set of people that would be employed there.
Sorry for digressing.
My advice for anyone is to search for management trainee jobs after masters and save towards running PhD in saner climes. Possibly seeking lecturing job in some middle eastern country like Dubai cos nothing works in this Nigeria any longer.
there is thread for exposing such organization and a Whatsapp group. Let's blacklist them otherwise
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 10, 2017
preciousnobel:
I have always wanted to be a top researcher and professor of medical physiology.And I have taken some steps to achieve that. But in Nigeria today, merit suffers because of the "man-know-man" syndrome. With good undergraduate cgpa and four research papers and msc, what are my chances?
My uncle is a Phd holder, he owns a tutorial center. Please, go outside Nigeria. He laments like lamentation everyday. Imagine.
In other news, private University except form the likes of Covenant, redeemer, Bowen,AUN, Bells are good others are glorified secondary schools with very poor working conditions. Poor remuneration, welfare above all sadistic proprietors.

2 Likes

Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 10, 2017
singlessubway:
there is thread for exposing such organization and a Whatsapp group. Let's blacklist them otherwise
A thread? I haven't come across that here.
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by khristal87(m): 7:50am On Aug 10, 2017
My bro it depends on d field, all fields re nt treated alike......most likely afta ph.d u ll get a lecturing job except if dem d follow u from village......

1 Like

Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by khristal87(m): 7:51am On Aug 10, 2017
In fact in very competitive fields, u only need evidence of Ph.D registration to get u a gud job.......
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 7:55am On Aug 10, 2017
singlessubway:

My uncle is a Phd holder, he owns a tutorial center. Please, go outside Nigeria. He laments like lamentation everyday. Imagine.
In other news, private University except form the likes of Covenant, redeemer, Bowen,AUN, Bells are good others are glorified secondary schools with very poor working conditions. Poor remuneration, welfare above all sadistic proprietors.
Are you talking about postgraduate education or career prospects?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 10, 2017
handsomeclouds:

A thread? I haven't come across that here.
NL search mistiquequeen
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 8:03am On Aug 10, 2017
khristal87:
My bro it depends on d field, all fields re nt treated alike......most likely afta ph.d u ll get a lecturing job except if dem d follow u from village......
Lols... In Nigeria of today?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 8:06am On Aug 10, 2017
khristal87:
And what about human physiology, specializing in neuroscience?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Funnyguy83: 10:13am On Aug 10, 2017
[quote author=Policymaker88 post=59319778] please does a direct masters and PHD in U.S.A with my H.N.D stop me from a lecturing job in Nigerian University?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
cheesy
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by pooozeee(m): 6:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
preciousnobel:

yes very sure, u can become a lecturer
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by preciousnobel(m): 7:04pm On Sep 22, 2017
pooozeee:

yes very sure, u can become a lecturer
It seems you are in the know, what advise/help do you have for me?
Re: Is A Lecturing Job Sure With A Phd In Nigeria Of Today? by phillippians(m): 4:23pm On Jul 28, 2019
handsomeclouds:

Sorry for digressing.
People are bad o...hmmmm you won't know until u start making progress in life.

(1) (Reply)

Wema Bank Plc Fresh Graduate & Mid-level Job Recruitment 2017 / Terragon Group Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / How To Verify The Federal Fire Service Recruitment 2018 Shortlist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.