Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,899 members, 7,831,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: (2373 Views)

If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." / Why APC Can’t Be Ashamed Of Aregbesola – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 1:52am On Feb 10, 2007
I am disgustingly ashamed to read these comments about OBJ and Ribadu. Typical Nigerian stuff.

In Europe where I have lived for many years, corrupt officials are booted out (resign) immediately their crimes appear in the press (seldom without court involvement). In Nigeria, the rogue politicians try to defend and intimidate to cover their acts.

In the West, any politician implicated of wrong doing is screened and punished by the parliament. In Nigeria, the politicians are so corrupt that they certainly cannot screen and punish each other, hence EFCC screening and punishments are good for the country.

Nigeria has to rid itself from corruption to develop and attract foreign investments. Right now, the West and foreign investors are keeping an eye on the 2007 election and also on the EFCC war on corruption championed by OBJ and Ribadu. The stability of Nigeria is of great importance to the West as political conflicts in Nigeria may destabilize the entire Africa especially fragile West Africa. Corruption is certainly the root causes of most conflicts in Africa as rogue politicians try to take control of the abundant natural resources.

Many of us Nigerians left the country (not just for economic reasons but to escape corruption and decaying social problems). Nigerians abroad have a good understanding of the wrongs in Nigeria and also have a clear idea on the solutions.

We all agree that all the politicians in Nigeria are corrupt, ALL with no exception. Any politician implicated in a corruption scandal should resign. OBJ and Ribadu have done a good job and Ribadu must continue to rid the country of corruption, AT ALL COST.

As Ribadu said, "the corrupt politicians steal from the treasury and use the money to enslave us". Since 1961, the amount stolen is more than the money spent in rebuilding Europe after the world war.

In the West, politicians spend the available resources on development projects that benefits the community such as schools, hospitals, medicines, technology, housing etc and in Nigeria, the wealthy politicians stack the money in foreign banks for their families and unborn generations. Rather than serve the people, they serve their pockets and families, driving flashy cars and living in posh houses in the midst of filth, poverty and rundown communities.

Atiku cannot justify making billions at Customs. In Europe, a Govt official in the same position would be living in a 3 bedroom apartment and cannot afford a car. IBB, I understand has properties in France. If I may ask, how many properties does Tony Blair or Bush have abroad,

Look, guys, the ball is in your court. Vote the man that has a good track record and not the ones that display richness or files suits in court to intimidate the masses.

Enough is enough!!!
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by alabiyemmy(m): 5:17am On Feb 10, 2007
Shutmouth - I like your name.

I agree with you in to to. The politicians, instead of clearing themselves, all they do is say EFCC is acting against the law, they say they are witch hunted bla, bla, bla, But, even if EFCC is acting against the law, why wont the politicians prove themselves first? I am just piqued with the way the politicians parade themselves back home.

Look at Atiku now trying to be a saint.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by lewa(m): 5:47am On Feb 10, 2007
Excluding me from your belated pontification! tongue. 'Shorry' something must have triggered this emtional outpouring.Go fight them for Abuja now tongue

1 Like

Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 2:55pm On Feb 10, 2007
The EFCC boss stated further that the uproar the list of indicted candidates generated could be understood as that has been the way Nigeria used to operate.

" You see, we have not seen something like this before in the history of this country where candidates are told by government security agency to forget contesting any political office because such an individual have criminal record. In other parts of the world, issue of morality alone is enough to disqualify any candidate but here that is not the case, yet we want to create a decent society."

He charged those challenging the anti-graft commission to go and take their time to read the statue establishing EFCC adding that indictment was done by an authorised security agency.

" The EFCC is perfectly in order. We have done the right thing. Look, change must occur but make no mistake that such a change will come that easy. No, it comes with pains especially if it affect some people. But we must get out of the present condition that we have been for sometime now. I have nothing personal against anybody."

Ribadu said that, because of his investigation of the Atiku, he had been declared a personal non-gratal in his state and country home.

" You know I’m from the same place with the Vice president and back home they call me a prodigal son because of this job and I don’t mind because with time I know they would understand. The Vice president is my brother but we must assist this country out of her dark days."
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by mowapa(m): 3:39pm On Feb 10, 2007
Spear me this emotional rant! what justification does EFCC have for OBJ daughter opponent appearing on the list.This list has little to do with the fight on corruption which I support and more to do with stopping perceived enemy.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by LePhilippe(m): 4:48pm On Feb 10, 2007
Finally someone with an ounce of sense!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by alabiyemmy(m): 9:36pm On Feb 10, 2007
@mo wapa - any proof?
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by LePhilippe(m): 9:38pm On Feb 10, 2007
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by mowapa(m): 4:07am On Feb 11, 2007
@ Alabiyemmy

His name is Lanre Tejuosho, he is a medical doctor and had never held any public position. He is a senatorial candidate under ANPP, he was attacked in his hotel room just last month by armed thug/thief and was lucky to escape with his life after being whacked on the head and warned that he was bold for running against ----- (name withheld). and GUESS who his political opponent is? IYABO. YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE, ON WHO WANTS THIS DUDE OUT OF THE WAY.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/28012007/news/news2.html
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by alabiyemmy(m): 6:02am On Feb 11, 2007
hen hen!!!!!! na wa o,
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by IykeD1(m): 2:28pm On Feb 11, 2007
@mo wapa

I can not vouch 100% for all the names on the EFCC list, but does that mean everyone whose name
appeared on the list is innocent of the accused offenses? Should we then junk the entire list and go
on as usual as if none of these fellows have any case to answer? If your name is smeared or wrongly
accused the right to do is to go about clearing your name - whether it has political undertones or not.
This should be the essence of the justice system.

The truth be told, all these Nigerians we are defending will do exactly the same thing to their opponents
if they were the ones calling the shots. Its just how politics is played in Nigeria - crude, violent, and very
vindictive. Can any of you imagine Kalu, Tinubu, or Atiku as president and fighting for their party to regain
power and doing otherwise?

This Tejusuo guy you are defending , do you have the exact details of what he is being accused of by the
EFCC? Was he a member of PDP prior to joining ANPP? Can you vouch for him 100% that he has nothing to
hide regarding his dealings (financial) with the past or political office holders? Really, if he has nothing to
hide then he should be first in line kicking, screaming, and proclaiming his innocence. If he is bold enough
to want to become a senator, he should have enough guts to begin the process of clearing his name!

Having said all that, can anyone "honestly" disagree with the EFCC on who was listed as number 1 on
its list? I am sure some will say Obasanjo's name should have been listed first, but again I ask, is Atiku's
name worthy of appearing on that list? If it is and he is subsequently disqualified by INEC from contesting,
then EFCC has scored a major victory in my opinion.

For those who disagree - if you get a chance of driving down the highway here in the US, please ignore
the speed limit and go 20 miles/kilometers above the legal speed limit. If you are pulled over by a cop
and given a speeding ticket, please argue with him and inform him that you were not the only one going
fast or exceeding the speed limit. Try this and even yell at him and see whether you won't be handcuffed.
Texas or Georgia will be a nice place to try the above experiment.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by mowapa(m): 4:46pm On Feb 11, 2007
@Iyke-D
Am glad you live in a "civilized society", you know very well such list as written will never see the light of day here(USA). Everything pertaining to that list is contrary to sense of justice and fairness

If your name is smeared or wrongly
accused the right to do is to go about clearing your name - whether it has political undertones or not.
This should be the essence of the justice system.

Are you aware that the process of clearing your name in this case, means you have to appear before a committee set up by the govt. whose impartiality cannot be ascertain. Beside that aren't you suppose to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt?
The truth be told, all these Nigerians we are defending will do exactly the same thing to their opponents
if they were the ones calling the shots.

So our sense of justice should now be clouded because,they might or would have done the same thing back? such argument does little to advance democratic principle.I expect better from you living outside the country.We are much exposed than this.

This Tejusuo guy you are defending , do you have the exact details of what he is being accused of by the
EFCC? Was he a member of PDP prior to joining ANPP? Can you vouch for him 100% that he has nothing to
hide regarding his dealings (financial) with the past or political office holders? Really, if he has nothing to
hide then he should be first in line kicking, screaming, and proclaiming his innocence. If he is bold enough
to want to become a senator, he should have enough guts to begin the process of clearing his name

The burden of proof rest with the prosecutor,Ribadu should be asked to substantiate why the dude is on his list not the other way round
There is an adage in Yoruba that say, the person that get hit by a fast moving car is not the one that gets the vehicle plate number.Follow the link to the tribune and see that picture and for once imagine that person to be your family,how would you feel? he cannot defend himself now cause he may be seeking treatment outside our shore.

For those who disagree - if you get a chance of driving down the highway here in the US, please ignore
the speed limit and go 20 miles/kilometers above the legal speed limit. If you are pulled over by a cop
and given a speeding ticket, please argue with him and inform him that you were not the only one going
fast or exceeding the speed limit. Try this and even yell at him and see whether you won't be handcuffed.
Texas or Georgia will be a nice place to try the above experiment.

What has this analogy got to do with how politics is played in Nigeria? at least there are posted rules in the two state you mentioned,what are the rule of engagement in our politics.If people like Mantu was accused and sanctioned by the house for collecting N40m as rent for a property that he owned is not on the list,where is fairness in this. where is Omisore name, he was accused of murder and won while in jail and PDP did not see him unfit then,where is Akala on this list,he was just given a flag by PDP.Daniel of ogun state?Agagu from my state? even Iyabo, the oracle daughter that was accused of financial complicity in the last ogunstate held festival of art and game.My bro! this list is a well intended one by EFCC, its just been hijacked by wicked soul for devilish means.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by IykeD1(m): 12:52am On Feb 13, 2007
@ mo wapa,

So how do you propose Ribadu provides concrete proof of wrong doings by Tejusuo or against
any of the accused? What forum? What committee? How does he go about it? Which court? Which
panel? Which part of the Nigerian justice/court system that is outside the reach of PDP/OBJ that is
"qualified" to hear both the accused and the accuser?

Don't tell me you are banking on some wishful thinking and non existent "neutral" body or institution
to handle such matters. If there is zero faith in the Nigerian justice system, then lets dissolve the
entire judiciary, after all, we have no assurance in place that the common man is not being framed
and oppressed by the moneyed people when it comes to court trials on both civil and criminal cases.
If our court system is good enough for civil and criminal cases, then those aspiring for political offices
should make do with whatever "screening" system that the county can afford. If not, what is the use
of INEC when we know fully aware that they are also subject to manipulation by those in power?

My point is you have to function within the system of government or law enforcement institutions of
wherever you are. It may be far from perfect and yes, those with political powers will always best the
system any day. Also, in law enforcement, there is really no such thing as "I am not the only one doing
it". If you break the law, you face the law, not why didn't they stop or arrest Mr ABC as well. Those in
power always protect their own, that's how it is even in very civilized societies!

So our sense of justice should now be clouded because,they might or would have done the same
thing back? such argument does little to advance democratic principle.I expect better from you living
outside the country.We are much exposed than this.

Sense of justice or "perceived justice"? Its not a question of "might or would", they will do the same exact
thing! Our democracy is built on "winners take all" and if I must add, "do or die" mentality. The implication
of this is that those in power use every means at their disposal to decimate the opposition.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by BigB11(m): 4:11am On Feb 13, 2007
I will never be ashamed of nothing; his name is OBJ and Mr.Superman's name is RIBADU.

My Name is Big B1, I can only control what I do.

No need to sweat this issue, the better days are ahead. OBJ is leaving soon, let's just me smart and elect the right leader to lead us effectively and efficiently.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by mowapa(m): 5:09am On Feb 13, 2007
"I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the same topic."
Lisa Alther, Kinflicks, 1975

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

TO MY PEOPLE ON EITHER SIDE OF THIS ISSUE, I'VE MADE MY POINT.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
mo wapa
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by IykeD1(m): 6:31pm On Feb 13, 2007
Nice way of side stepping the argument, A quote from a modern
day Nigerian leader will suffice too - don't tell me we can't find any
from our world class intellectuals and politicians - ANPP or PDP has
many grin
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by naijafresh: 9:33am On Feb 14, 2007
Politicians in the west do make money, but after they have left office not while they are in office.
Bill Clinton, Margaret Thatcher etc are millionaires because they write books give sponsored talks and lectures, act as advisors and consultants, directors to big companies and lobbyists.
Thats how they make their money, not by plundering the coffers of the countires they claim to serve

Nigeria politicians should borrow a leaf from their example!
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by otokx(m): 9:57am On Feb 14, 2007
All this pointing fingers from afar will not work; make una come inside see wetin dey.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by bioye(m): 3:20pm On Feb 14, 2007
Where is this list? Can someone post it please?
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by mowapa(m): 4:26pm On Feb 14, 2007
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by toshmann(m): 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2007
i wonder why some people on this forum talk about voting out the PDP undecided dont they know what elections i mean selections in nigeria are like?

anybody who thinks the votes will determine the elections (selections) is living in a fools paradise.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 8:08pm On Feb 14, 2007
[size=14pt]FG Bars Atiku[/size]

Good News!!!

http://www.wazobianews.com/news/index.php
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by otokx(m): 9:29am On Feb 15, 2007
whether ATIKU is barred or unbarred is irrelevant to the outcome of the presidential elections in 2007.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 10:06am On Feb 15, 2007
You're right otokx,

Atiku is quite irrelevant, but he seems to be a wheel against the fight against corruption which is a disease that has afflicted the country to poverty causing many Nigerians like me to flee a country we so much cherish.

Rather than support the fight against corruption by accepting his indictment and proving his innocence, he is busy making public statements that shows he is an idiot, rogue and a bizarre fool.

He want to bypass the law and constitution and make himself lord over us. He should rather be setting good examples and bow out of politics until he can prove his innocence like most indicted politicians in Europe and USA do quite often in such circumstances.

Atiku is and will remain irrelevant to me as long as I live abroad and long to return to a decent country I call home.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by Patffinn(m): 10:58pm On Feb 15, 2007
All Nigerians who fled abroad are criminals as all politicians are "corrupt without exceptions" ! Haba, you people think that those of us who have courage to brave it here are dumb bells? Ribadu or whoever is assisting us fight corruption must follow predetermined and acceptable rules of engagement and a vast majority of Nigerians will support him.Any middle of the road change of rules or underhanded tactics not knowned to Nigerian laws would also amount to corruption.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by IykeD1(m): 12:46am On Feb 16, 2007
@pataffin

All Nigerians who fled abroad are criminals as all politicians are "corrupt without exceptions" ! Haba, you people think that those of us who have courage to brave it here are dumb bells? Ribadu or whoever is assisting us fight corruption must follow predetermined and acceptable rules of engagement and a vast majority of Nigerians will support him.Any middle of the road change of rules or underhanded tactics not knowned to Nigerian laws would also amount to corruption.

What are the "predetermined and acceptable" rules of engagement that the EFCC is not following?
Please enlighten we "criminals".
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 1:58am On Feb 16, 2007
"predetermined and acceptable"  rules of engagement

Whatever that means? Typical ignorance!

When people don't know something, ignorance takes common stage. Of course, we praise those who are at home but could you imagine how many times people in Nigeria complain to us.

Uncle, "Nigeria economy is really bad, things are really hard in Nigeria, please send money urgently". A rich country with oil and yet it's people are one of the poorest in the world, A big shame!

It's very provocative to know that those at home (like you) continue to support these corrupt politicians (out of pure ignorance) even though you all know they are doing nothing for your communities. Come over here and see what local politicians do for their communities and yet they have no cars or luxury villas.

Many people supporting these fraudulent politicians are jobless and have no hopes for the future. Are you pining your hopes on politicians who have bad records of embezzlement of public funds? Could you imagine if these politicians could spend more time fixing the country's problems rather than the huge time and resources wasted on defending themselves in the courts.

Today, I live modestly in Europe and I am currently financing and sponsoring two young graduates in Nigeria and Ghana on separate technology projects. One question put to me by these young men were "Why do you do this for us when our rich politicians here can never do it FREE for us?". My answer was "Consider it done and do it for the young ones after you" . Teaching by example is what is important and not reckless talking and dubious actions common with these politicians.

I recently called my family and friends and said "TO HELL WITH NIGERIA", you'll never see me there again. My interest in Nigeria began to rekindle when I read about Ribadu. My first impression was "This is the man Nigeria have been looking for, someone who is fearless, swift and determined to rid the country of its aged long woes - corruption"

God bless Ribadu, and to hell with Atiku and his cronies.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 1:15pm On Feb 17, 2007
February 20, 2007 is the last date for parties to replace disqualified candidates.

So, what the heck are many of you still doing here, blindly defending those corrupt criminal.

Don't you STILL get it, IT'S THE END OF THE ROAD FOR THOSE CROOKS.

Anyway, TOUGH!
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by PMOjemba: 3:18pm On Feb 17, 2007
The contraption is pathetic.what waste of a country with this big belle man leading us.Too much ignorance on his part.The amala eater will led us to the abyss with his abysmal policy making.
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2007
TAKE A LOOK grin

RIBADU vs ATIKU

em, let me see, you aint going nowhere mister. don't bother flying you aint got wings!

Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by LePhilippe(m): 2:55pm On Feb 18, 2007
Someone is going to be assasinated the way things are going and it would start a harsh harsh harsh riot in Lagos!!!
Re: All Nigerians Must Be Ashamed: by shutmouth(m): 7:18pm On Feb 22, 2007
I came to Nairaland to nail Atiku.

Mission Accomplished!!!

It's time to say "AU REVOUR".

Got other important work to accomplish.

Buh Bye, See Ya!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

You And Obasanjo One On One: What Would You Tell Him? / Lagos La Vida Loca / Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.