Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project (10741 Views)

Car Audio Installation Experts / See The New TESLA Roadster Y Concept Study / Knowing The Perfect Car Body Type You Need Before You Purchase A New Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 4:30pm On Sep 10, 2017
Pictures are coming in slowly Spectranet is screwing me over this afternoon

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 4:33pm On Sep 10, 2017
And it's a wrap

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 4:36pm On Sep 10, 2017
ironheart:
thank you brother. I appreciate.

Guys like you and some car talk members are the reason I still log to nairaland. I hope I would be able to post detailed DIY soon.
Thanks Chief, always a pleasure to help.

Look forward to seeing yours
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by godwinjay(m): 6:34pm On Sep 10, 2017
Bizzle

I love what you have done to your ride...maybe someday i'll get to experience the results of your work in person, really amazing work.

Wanted to know if u have any other plans for your car, seeing you are an avid DIYER.

Reason why i'm asking is cos apart from you and a few people on this forum, actual car enthusiasts are missing on this side of the world.

I'm talking about people who really want to modify their cars like you do, not the usual "I want to drive Benz/G-wagon/Range Rover" group of people. If there's any, pls lemme know ooh. It'll be nice to have car meets and and see what others can do with their cars.

Me for example, i'm starting a project in December. I want to do a fullrace turbo install on a r18a 8th gen Honda Civic. It will prolly take a year cos the parts are expensive.

I want to know if anyone else is doing stuff like this atm.

3 Likes

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 10:47pm On Sep 10, 2017
bizzle2:

I had to install a micro bypass too, for the emergency brake .
Forgot to mention that.
Haven't had any problems with video playback in motion

the bypass works superb...but u will have problems if you intend to run the pionner auto equalizer unit...the unit enables you to set your equalizer to levels specific to your cars acoustics.

see link and description below.
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CD-MC20-Auto-EQ-Microphone-Receivers/dp/B0038PIGDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1505079851&sr=1-1&keywords=cd+mc20

also, the pioneer has an input for reverse camera...methinks you should install it..not that complex about 2hours tops.
the license plate types are better...no drilling or cutting of holes in your car body
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 11:32pm On Sep 10, 2017
earthrealm:

also, the pioneer has an input for reverse camera...methinks you should install it..not that complex about 2hours tops.
the license plate types are better...no drilling or cutting of holes in your car body
Yes I'm aware.
I did toy with the idea of installing one when I was getting the head unit. Looked at a number of options but later discarded the idea.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, or maybe it's because I haven't extensively used one before, but I concluded the reverse camera was more of a gimmick than an essential.
I won't be satisfied with relying on the screen view, I just have to look back cheesy . I can't shout biko.

I just might install it sometime in the future, just for the sake of it
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 11:51pm On Sep 10, 2017
godwinjay:
Bizzle

I love what you have done to your ride...maybe someday i'll get to experience the results of your work in person, really amazing work.

Wanted to know if u have any other plans for your car, seeing you are an avid DIYER.

Reason why i'm asking is cos apart from you and a few people on this forum, actual car enthusiasts are missing on this side of the world.

I'm talking about people who really want to modify their cars like you do, not the usual "I want to drive Benz/G-wagon/Range Rover" group of people. If there's any, pls lemme know ooh. It'll be nice to have car meets and and see what others can do with their cars.

Me for example, i'm starting a project in December. I want to do a fullrace turbo install on a r18a 8th gen Honda Civic. It will prolly take a year cos the parts are expensive.

I want to know if anyone else is doing stuff like this atm.
Thanks Chief.

I haven't gotten the nerves or know-how to start engine or performance mods. I'm still a learner grin
But i know myself though, sooner or later I'll be bored or dissastisfied, but i don't think it'll be on this Car.
A project like that would be on a car I plan to keep for a while. This ride..... Not so long.

Oh, I also changed the headight bulbs to some kick-a$$ LED bulbs from Hikari Japan. Easy install, 10 mins in and out

CREE (XHP50+XM-L2) LEDs, 3600lm/per LED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LCE19OI/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505083208&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hikari%2Bhonda%2Bcr-v&th=1&psc=1

I dare not turn on the full beam. Even though this is adequately approved by regulatory authorities for road use.

I look forward to seeing a thread on your performance mod

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 6:59am On Sep 11, 2017
bizzle2:

Yes I'm aware.
I did toy with the idea of installing one when I was getting the head unit. Looked at a number of options but later discarded the idea.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, or maybe it's because I haven't extensively used one before, but I concluded the reverse camera was more of a gimmick than an essential.
I won't be satisfied with relying on the screen view, I just have to look back cheesy . I can't shout biko.

I just might install it sometime in the future, just for the sake of it

omo i was like you before, till i saw a video of a toddler who crawled under a reversing suv..and was crushed... a reverse camera would hv saved the toddler.
i hv reverse cams installed on all my cars now.
drivivng a car without reverse ca,s..i feel inadequate/vulnreable.....you wouldnt really understand till you start using one.

i dont even look back now while reversing..the panasonic big screen shows every detail...in conjuction with the side mirrors when necessary

3 Likes

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by AutoElectNG: 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2017
bizzle2:

No i don't use an amplifier, I run a stand alone unit.
A Sony Blu Ray home theatre system and out of the box, the sound quality is craaazyyy. Very deep bass, Crystal sound . The unit is amplified though
I however had to buy directional wall speaker mounts to be able to mount them at the perfect wall height and direct the audio from all three walls. Will post a picture later.

Love to see it!
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 11:19am On Sep 13, 2017
earthrealm:

omo i was like you before, till i saw a video of a toddler who crawled under a reversing suv..and was crushed... a reverse camera would hv saved the toddler.
drivivng a car without reverse ca,s..i feel inadequate/vulnreable.....you wouldnt really understand till you start using one.

i dont even look back now while reversing..the panasonic big screen shows every detail...in conjuction with the side mirrors when necessary
You make a very good point.

I'll definitely look into installing one soon
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 11:46am On Sep 13, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Love to see it!
This is the unit I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BI22U3O/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And This is the configuration/setup I adopt: as seen in 1st picture

Its an optimal placement configuration for a 5.1 channel system with surround sound. ( 2 front speakers, 1 center speaker, 2 surround sparkers , 1 subwoofer)

-In the second picture you can see the positioning of the front and center speakers relative to the viewing screen.

-i don't know if you can tell from third and fourth pictures but, the front speakers are angled "inwards" firing in the direction of the sitting position, as depicted in the Schematic.

-the rear surround speakers are raised to the top and angled so they're firing downwards, the surround effect descends on the listener's sitting position . I had to fish the cables from the location of the DVD unit, into the wall, through the ceiling and out to the speaker location.

The recommended height for front speaker poistioning is usually head level (in sitting position). The center speakers can be above or below the screen depending on how high the screen is mounted or how low it's sitting.

The sound production has been nothing but delicious

1 Like

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 11:49am On Sep 13, 2017
Front Speakers

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 11:59am On Sep 13, 2017
Surround Speakers

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2017
bizzle2:

This is the unit I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BI22U3O/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And This is the configuration/setup I adopt: as seen in 1st picture

The sound production has been nothing but delicious

ooh..not wireless..too bad.
how much did it cost you to ship down to nigeria?
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 7:40pm On Sep 13, 2017
earthrealm:

ooh..not wireless..too bad.
how much did it cost you to ship down to nigeria?
A wireless setup of similar capacity from a brand like Sony will set you back upwards of $1,000.
I think I'd rather have planned cable management in place

Shipping was about $100 or so, (shipping weight is almost 30lbs)

2 Likes

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 15, 2017
Slowly but surely grin

Still undecided on the head unit. Now looking at Kenwoods again.

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 2:14am On Sep 17, 2017
bizzle2:

You make a very good point.

I'll definitely look into installing one soon

see a shot of the cam in action...dont mind the wavy lines its from the camera..physics/optics effects

you can see from the pics..that u can see the ground behind the car, so toddler or even gutter @ night would be clearly seen...most cameras also come with nightvision, and its best you connect it to be automatic, so the cam displays whenever you switch to reverse gear

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by escapefromusa(f): 2:23am On Sep 17, 2017
earthrealm:

see a shot of the cam in action...dont mind the wavy lines its from the camera..physics/optics effects

you can see from the pics..that u can see the ground behind the car, so toddler or even gutter @ night would be clearly seen...most cameras also come with nightvision, and its best you connect it to be automatic, so the cam displays whenever you switch to reverse gear

Digital freedom..

You got my respect. Saw the the car is IOT complaint.
Just wanted to know if the phone can power the cams on the car, run periodic gps checks.

This is impressive.
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 2:43am On Sep 17, 2017
escapefromusa:

Digital freedom..

You got my respect. Saw the the car is IOT complaint.
Just wanted to know if the phone can power the cams on the car, run periodic gps checks.

This is impressive.

the cam is powered by the car - people usually tap into the reverse light cable
gps checks?...dont really get u.

u cud buy a headunit that has gps fxn, most with inbuilt gps are a bit pricey. this panasonic xhs 4400bh doesnt [its an old model 2012/2013] been using it for a long while now
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by escapefromusa(f): 3:03am On Sep 17, 2017
earthrealm:

the cam is powered by the car - people usually tap into the reverse light cable
gps checks?...dont really get u.

u cud buy a headunit that has gps fxn, most with inbuilt gps are a bit pricey. this panasonic xhs 4400bh doesnt [its an old model 2012/2013] been using it for a long while now

Oh .. ok. Still impressive without a doubt. If you can connect to "spotify" you can get GPS coordinates.

I am highly impressed by your skills. Pls keep us updated . We are watching.

1 Like

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 9:19pm On Sep 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Slowly but surely grin

Still undecided on the head unit. Now looking at Kenwoods again.
Is this a bypass toggle switch ?

1 Like

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2017
earthrealm:

They really are helpful,

Yh, saw alot of those when i was considering getting one.with adjustable camera lens, Night vision and up to 170° viewing angle. I'll post when i get around to doing an install

All reverse cams I've seen automatically switch on when the reverse gear is engaged. (Connecting power from the reverse lights) that's the most logical thing to do. Do people have installs with manual switching?

What model is this head unit, the button designs look unfamiliar
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
bizzle2:

Is this a bypass toggle switch ?

It's the antenna adapter.
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 8:14am On Sep 19, 2017
bizzle2:

They really are helpful,

Yh, saw alot of those when i was considering getting one.with adjustable camera lens, Night vision and up to 170° viewing angle. I'll post when i get around to doing an install

All reverse cams I've seen automatically switch on when the reverse gear is engaged. (Connecting power from the reverse lights) that's the most logical thing to do. Do people have installs with manual switching?

What model is this head unit, the button designs look unfamiliar

YEah most dvd headunits have the auto reverse camera switch on function, a few older models dont have it.
mine is an old unit installed 2012 grin, still running good till date, zero issues. hooked up a portable flat subwoofer and a small underseat amp to power just the subwoofer, as my setup is in an suv and the acoustics isnt so good...would hv done a lil bit of sound deadening....but not comfy paying such high freight cost for it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y441L0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yeah, in the western world where people tow trailers with their cars, the hook it up auto and manual..so they can switch on the reverse car while driving intermittently to ensure the trailer and any stuff hooked behind is still there etc, and some other uses.
considered doing that, but got cold feet...lol
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 12:41pm On Sep 21, 2017
earthrealm:

YEah most dvd headunits have the auto reverse camera switch on function, a few older models dont have it.
mine is an old unit installed 2012 grin, still running good till date, zero issues. hooked up a portable flat subwoofer and a small underseat amp to power just the subwoofer, as my setup is in an suv and the acoustics isnt so good...would hv done a lil bit of sound deadening....but not comfy paying such high freight cost for it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y441L0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yeah, in the western world where people tow trailers with their cars, the hook it up auto and manual..so they can switch on the reverse car while driving intermittently to ensure the trailer and any stuff hooked behind is still there etc, and some other uses.
considered doing that, but got cold feet...lol

I think i will be settling for this model.

The advantages are really plenty. It'll be nice to have a HD dash cam for recording road trips, police interaction, collusions, etc.
The gesture feature and embedded display are also quite impressive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074M2R81W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505993734&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=vantrue+N3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=bkVCtHAIpUg

I will update IF I eventually pull the trigger.

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by earthrealm(m): 3:05pm On Sep 21, 2017
bizzle2:

I think i will be settling for this model.

The advantages are really plenty. It'll be nice to have a HD dash cam for recording road trips, police interaction, collusions, etc.
The gesture feature and embedded display are also quite impressive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074M2R81W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505993734&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=vantrue+N3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=bkVCtHAIpUg

I will update IF I eventually pull the trigger.

OK LOOK S NICE, MY problem with it is that the image is small, and it also takes up space in your rear veiw mirror, i use a standalone dash cam, records hd/1080p too superb, and easy to connect.accepts upto 128gb mem card..thus you can install and forget..will takes wks b4 it gets full and starts overwrintg.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2017
earthrealm:

OK LOOK S NICE, MY problem with it is that the image is small, and it also takes up space in your rear veiw mirror, i use a standalone dash cam, records hd/1080p too superb, and easy to connect.accepts upto 128gb mem card..thus you can install and forget..will takes wks b4 it gets full and starts overwrintg.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You, Sir, have caused Amazon to make a sale this morning. I like the form factor.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 8:08pm On Sep 21, 2017
earthrealm:

Did you view the specs? The reverse camera screen is larger than the 2.4" on this....Its a 5" IPS display, that extends to the left beyond the coloured menu rectangles and only comes on when you want it to, or when you go into reverse.( Allowing you to enjoy both rearview mirror and reverse camera visibility at the same time)
After that, all you have is a plain mirror with no signs of doubling as a display. I think that's plenty large for me.

But again it's ultimately a matter of choice

1 Like

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by ricki: 8:58am On Sep 22, 2017
So how is the sound that you is trying to stage and experience??
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 8:41pm On Nov 17, 2017
earthrealm:

You unconsciously planted a virus in my subconscious. smiley

After this and other backup cam conversations we had, I started to notice how much easier and safer backing up would be if I had a reverse camera in place.it got so bad that everytime i put the vehicle in reverse I would imagine what the process would have been if I was looking at a sharp 7" display instead of twisting and craning my neck and trying to see over and beyond the tailgate of my CR-V in certain tight situation.

my research has finally culminated in a purchase and a possible home installation this weekend.

I already forsee some problems with me planned setup, but . I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 8:55pm On Nov 17, 2017
So after making and dismissing several choices and doing alot of research, I settled for the Accele RVCLPMBS Backup Camera. By Optix

According to the wirecutter , and a few other review sites, ....this is ranked the best value for money backup camera.
With an impressive allround performance , and one of the best night vision performance on the market, it was a good choice.

I searched ebay and amazon for this bad boy but couldn't get it. For reasons that beat me, only Crutchfield, and a few other car electronics dealers carried the model. This I found quite suprising.
Long story short, I ordered them off Crutchfield and they arrived early in the week. ( crutchfield purchase link and wirecutter review link below)

Purchase Link
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVCLPBS/Accele-RVCLPMBS.html

Review Link
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-backup-camera-and-displays/

1 Like

Re: Creating The Perfect CAR AUDIO Sound Stage & Music Experience. My D-I-Y Project by bizzle2: 9:22pm On Nov 17, 2017
Now unto the Installation and the envisioned challenge.

80 % of backup or reverse cameras are designed to be mounted above, or generally around License plate holders ( depending on vehicle/trunk type....hatchback, van, sedan etc) because they are typically dead centre of your vehicle, and dead centre is where you need that camera to be.
So if like me you have a license plate holder that is offset to the left or right ( as pictured below) because of the presence of a spare tyre or any other reason ..... YOU'RE SCREWED. sad

You have two options:

1. Mount the cam on the offset location and live with the image displacement

2. Improvise

I'm taking option 2.

To do this, I need to find a dead centre location that works with following criteria

Easy modification without specialized tools. (cannot be a mod that will require too much drilling or cutting or impair the integrity of the body or it's esthetics) so the location must be one that allows for a reasonably easy and neat install

Secure location... not too susceptible to damage from occassional rear impact (in this lagos, be prepared for that)

Location has to be one with direct/easy access to reverse light wiring and a clear path to the Head unit from there....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Would You Buy And Why ? 4runner Or Nissan Pathfinder / I Need Help My Chevrolet Optra / Is Having A Car A Sign Of Prosperity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.