Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi (4664 Views)

African-American Soldier Trace His Ancestry To Nigerian Igbo (pic) / If Igbo’s Have Functional Sea Port In Igbo Land - Obasanjo / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Signed By Jewish Rabbi & Enyinnaya Abaribe In Abuja (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by MayorofLagos(m): 2:36am On Aug 11, 2017
Among the Igbo, one of Nigeria’s largest ethnic groups, there is widespread identification with Jews, and many see themselves as descendants of the biblical Israelites.

But a recent test to determine if a group of Igbo men share genetic material with Jews is back — and no connection was found.

Even before the results were known, the test was the source of heated debate among the Igbo. Now activists are decrying the enterprise, and the missionary American group that carried it out, as illegitimate.

“Our purpose for providing this DNA testing…was to assist them in their pursuit of truth concerning their historical lineage and identity,” Jonathan Bernis, head of Jewish Voice Ministries International, wrote in an email to the Forward. The DNA test results “did not support their claim to be descendants of the ancient people of Israel.”

Jewish Voice Ministries International is a Messianic missionary organization that appeals to “lost tribes of Israel” and people with Jewish heritage around the world to spread the message of “Messianic Judaism and the Jewish roots” of Christianity.

In March, the group carried out the test in collaboration with a local religious group called Redeemed Israel Community of Nigeria, gathering some 120 saliva samples of community members. The tests were carried out using kits from Family Tree DNA, a Texas-based company that sells genealogical analyses, including a focus on Jewish heritage.

The genetic test had been the source of fierce debate among Igbo members, some of whom questioned Jewish Voice’s ability to successfully carry out such a test and whether such a test would serve or hurt their cause.

“There is no DNA test for ‘Jewishness,’” Igbo lawyer and author Remy Ilona wrote in a lengthy Times of Israel blog post, which outlined his objections both to the group and what he sees as their faulty methods. Ilona has written a series of books promoting the thesis that Igbos are genealogical Israelites.

Onwukwe Alaezi, an author who first supported the effort, decried the Messianic group as saboteurs who came only to delegitimize the Igbo. “Whether the white fake Jews want it or not,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “Igbo are Jews.”

Email Sam Kestenbaum at kestenbaum@forward.com and follow him on Twitter at @skestenbaum

Read more: http://forward.com/fast-forward/379533/igbo-men-have-no-semitic-dna-according-to-controversial-test/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by deji17: 2:39am On Aug 11, 2017
Lobatan!
Land and relationship grabbers over to you. Jews wannabe.

20 Likes

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by navyseal2220: 2:53am On Aug 11, 2017
MayorofLagos:
[s]Among the Igbo, one of Nigeria’s largest ethnic groups, there is widespread identification with Jews, and many see themselves as descendants of the biblical Israelites.

But a recent test to determine if a group of Igbo men share genetic material with Jews is back — and no connection was found.

Even before the results were known, the test was the source of heated debate among the Igbo. Now activists are decrying the enterprise, and the missionary American group that carried it out, as illegitimate.

“Our purpose for providing this DNA testing…was to assist them in their pursuit of truth concerning their historical lineage and identity,” Jonathan Bernis, head of Jewish Voice Ministries International, wrote in an email to the Forward. The DNA test results “did not support their claim to be descendants of the ancient people of Israel.”

Jewish Voice Ministries International is a Messianic missionary organization that appeals to “lost tribes of Israel” and people with Jewish heritage around the world to spread the message of “Messianic Judaism and the Jewish roots” of Christianity.

In March, the group carried out the test in collaboration with a local religious group called Redeemed Israel Community of Nigeria, gathering some 120 saliva samples of community members. The tests were carried out using kits from Family Tree DNA, a Texas-based company that sells genealogical analyses, including a focus on Jewish heritage.

The genetic test had been the source of fierce debate among Igbo members, some of whom questioned Jewish Voice’s ability to successfully carry out such a test and whether such a test would serve or hurt their cause.

“There is no DNA test for ‘Jewishness,’” Igbo lawyer and author Remy Ilona wrote in a lengthy Times of Israel blog post, which outlined his objections both to the group and what he sees as their faulty methods. Ilona has written a series of books promoting the thesis that Igbos are genealogical Israelites.

Onwukwe Alaezi, an author who first supported the effort, decried the Messianic group as saboteurs who came only to delegitimize the Igbo. “Whether the white fake Jews want it or not,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “Igbo are Jews.”

Email Sam Kestenbaum at kestenbaum@forward.com and follow him on Twitter at @skestenbaum

Read more: http://forward.com/fast-forward/379533/igbo-men-have-no-semitic-dna-according-to-controversial-test/[/s]

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Zeze06(m): 2:55am On Aug 11, 2017
I don't even understand why this point is to be proven,

Do Jews get free money? cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by BabaRamota1980: 2:57am On Aug 11, 2017
Hey Mayor, aboki, i thought they ban you.

The Megida of alaIbo. grin. Welcome back

2 Likes

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by BabaRamota1980: 3:02am On Aug 11, 2017
Whether the white fake Jews want it or not,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “Igbo are Jews.”

The white Jews be like
...come take this rope and hang!
grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by MayorofLagos(m): 3:29am On Aug 11, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
Hey Mayor, aboki, i thought they ban you.

The Megida of alaIbo. grin. Welcome back

BabaRamo tun gbe titun de o. cheesy
ahah, ewo tuun t'aboki? cheesy

No i dey busy, dem no born dem well to ban Mayor_of_Lagos. I go scatter dis forum!

grin grin. I see youve been speakin Hausa since Kaduna Declaration. Wetin dey go on? grin

4 Likes

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by cosby02(m): 4:31am On Aug 11, 2017
navyseal2220:
[/quote]
[quote author=navyseal2220 post=59357057]

1 Like

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by cosby02(m): 4:33am On Aug 11, 2017
Do you have to be jew to be relevant in life...is being igbo not enough to be relevant?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by kitaatita: 4:54am On Aug 11, 2017
Zeze06:
I don't even understand why this point is to be proven,

Do Jews get free money? cry

I wonder. I am Igbo and I'm not enthusiastic about this Jewish stuff. My fellow Ndigbo shouldn't make themselves insecure. It is a thing of pride to be Igbo, albeit not the Nnamdi Kanu type.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by supereagle(m): 5:48am On Aug 11, 2017
The truth has emerged. They have no origin. The claims that they are lost tribe of Jews have been laid bare.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Almaiga: 6:10am On Aug 11, 2017
Eyaaaah, I just dey pitty these iPod's. No body wan associate themselves with them. They first start with the Ikwere's, and they were denied. They drag Ijaw, Ijaw no gree. They claim Delta State, but the owners of the State disown them. They wan claim P/H but e no work. They try Akwa ibom and they were rejected. North no like una, West no like una and the Middle belt no like una too.
The Jews had just thrown a heavy blow on you guys. See as una just dey disgrace una selves upadan. Shame....... cool

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Zeze06(m): 6:17am On Aug 11, 2017
What do you mean by "not the Nnamdi Kanu type" ?

I thought all igbos are supporting him, are you not?

kitaatita:

I wonder. I am Igbo and I'm not enthusiastic about this Jewish stuff. My fellow Ndigbo shouldn't make themselves insecure. It is a thing of pride to be Igbo, albeit not the Nnamdi Kanu type.

1 Like

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by laribari(m): 6:23am On Aug 11, 2017
MayorofLagos:

This is becoming embarrassing abeg! What is even special being a Jew? Does it earn automatic visa to heaven without spiritual checks? Abi didn't the bible say "GOD is not a respecter of persons"? All these Jewish talk is just to boost ego and that is pride.

OK let me break down who a Jew is............

A jew is someone that practices JUDAISM.

The belief that Jesus is God, the Son of God, or a person of the Trinity, is incompatible with Talmudic Jewish theology. Modern Jews believe Jesus of Nazareth did not fulfill messianic prophecies that establish the criteria for the coming of the messiah.

Jews do not believe in Jesus as the LORD and they themselves need salvation like everyone else. Didn't Paul say "I'm not ashamed of the gospel of the Lord as it has the power of God to safe first the Jews and then the gentiles"? The Jews were put first because they were the ones who received the gospel first; besides Jesus came as a Jew and His dead as were as resurrection brought about Christianity.

Jesus is only concern about the church and not Jews or gentiles, where He is the head and we are the body (irrespective of your name, tribe, country, etc). Were the Jews not the people who even shouted for Jesus to be crucified? Abeg jare!

So what's the big deal about being a jew especially when a jew is an antichrist? Jewish people are antichrist based on their belief, anti-Jesus and that's the only reason I don't support Nnamdi Kanu who is promoting judaism but he hasn't introduced that part yet (which I change of religion from Christianity to judaism since they call themselves jews. Many of our people now see themselves as jews and think it connects them to Jesus Christ or God the Father.

You cannot be a Jew and be connected to Christ except you are a Christian which makes you part of the body of Christ. Jews are not Christians, my igbo Bro and sis make una open una eyes.

I laff and pity those who wanna be jews by force, yet you say you believe in the LORD. Jews are not Christians and read the Torah instead of the bible. Like Islam, their belief is based on self-righteousness. Makin heaven by works but no man is good.

Ignorance is a disease.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by kitaatita: 6:56am On Aug 11, 2017
Zeze06:

All Igbo are not supporting him. In fact, distinguishable Igbo are not supporting him

1 Like

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by irynterri(f): 7:00am On Aug 11, 2017
Zeze06:

you must be living all your life on nairaland to think more than 10million Igbos support Nnamdi Kanu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by aribisala0(m): 7:02am On Aug 11, 2017
[quote author=navyseal2220 post=59357057][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Zeze06(m): 7:04am On Aug 11, 2017
Let me be sincere with you

All igbos support biafra though some do so verbally and will not physically participate in the struggle

Most of the Hausa Christians support them too, especially the educated ones...

I don't even know why anyone would not support the course of freedom...

Sha that's by d way,

My landlord gave me quit notice

Had no other option than to pack to Nairaland, are you visiting or you live here too?..

irynterri:
you must be living all your life on nairaland to think more than 10million Igbos support Nnamdi Kanu
Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by aribisala0(m): 7:04am On Aug 11, 2017
raker300:
ugly Afonja monkeys

1 Like

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by enemybulldozer(m): 7:50am On Aug 11, 2017
MayorofLagos:
Among the Igbo, one of Nigeria’s largest ethnic groups, there is widespread identification with Jews, and many see themselves as descendants of the biblical Israelites.

Read more: http://forward.com/fast-forward/379533/igbo-men-have-no-semitic-dna-according-to-controversial-test/
Is that all?? Now go sit down! We igbos know where we came from and that is israel afonjas from oshogbo can never rewrite our history for us.
Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Almaiga: 8:10am On Aug 11, 2017
Zeze06:
Let me be sincere with you

All igbos support biafra though some do so verbally and will not physically participate in the struggle

Most of the Hausa Christians support them too, especially the educated ones...

I don't even know why anyone would not support the course of freedom...

Sha that's by d way,

My landlord gave me quit notice

Had no other option than to pack to Nairaland, are you visiting or you live here too?..

Lie, na so so lie una sabi. How can a Northerner either Christian or Muslim support Biafra. Keep deceiving your selves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Trailii: 8:12am On Aug 11, 2017
[quote author=navyseal2220 post=59357057][/quote]pigs and idiots

2 Likes

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:02am On Aug 11, 2017
@ aribisala0 Such Memes are insensitive. http://www.mortalpoet.com/arent-memes-share-insensitive/
Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 11, 2017
I hope this puts an end to the rubbish. Igbo must not be Jews. We are unique and it is not because we are Jews; and why are Jews not Igbos. Again, I don't even know why people imagined it possible. That Jews will cross the deserts of north Africa and the unpassable dense Congo forests through the abode of the wild lions, tigers, elephants, the giant gorillas to the present Igbo land in those early times is difficult to understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by Zeze06(m): 9:09am On Aug 11, 2017
Are you inviting me for a debate?

Almaiga:

Lie, na so so lie una sabi. How can a Northerner either Christian or Muslim support Biafra. Keep deceiving your selves.
Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by CrtlAltDel: 9:10am On Aug 11, 2017
kikikikikiki........year 2017, the igbos are yet to confirm their roots grin grin grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5466350_laugh05_jpegda20c0bb2079f013efb804ec1bfd33cf

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by aribisala0(m): 9:12am On Aug 11, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
@ aribisala0 Such Memes are insensitive. http://www.mortalpoet.com/arent-memes-share-insensitive/
You dey craze
Re: Dna - Igbo Have No Relation Or Ancestry To Semitic - Rabbi by segend(m): 9:16am On Aug 11, 2017
What is so special about being a Jew?
Does it make you more successful? NO
Does it offer free access to heaven? NO
Does it guarantee visa to Israel? NO
Are Jewish people more special than other tribes and nationalities? NO

So, what is the point?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Female Politician Muniratu Adedoyin Caught Doing Human Ritual- Pictures / El-rufai Signs 2018 Budget Of N216bn Into Law / Pictures Of New ABA Mall And Ariaria International Market.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.