Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu (4139 Views)

Fayemi Visits Alaafin Lamidi Adeyemi After ‘Warning’ Letter / Lamidi Mukaila 'Auxiliary' Wife Murdered In Ibadan, Shot Dead / Let's Go Historical!!! Pa Lamidi Adedibu Paved Way For MKO Abiola's Freedom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by UrbanNG(m): 6:43am On Aug 11, 2017
Lamidi Adedibu (full name: Lamidi Ariyibi Akanji Adedibu) was born on 24th of October, 1927 at Oja-Oba, Ibadan. He was an aristocratic noting power broker in Oyo state.

He was described as “Father Of PDP” by the former president, Olusegun Obasanjo.

Baba Adedibu joined politics in the 1950's, when he became a member of the , Ibadan People's Party and then joined the Action Group under Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Later he became a member of the National Party Of Nigeria (NPN) led by Chief Adisa Akinloye and Richard Akinjide. He became an increasing force in politics during the military reign of General Ibrahim Babaginda, during which the NPN exploited the open ballot electoral system into an instrument of electoral fraud. His brand of politics was described as a blend of populism and raw thuggery that often compelled either violent loyalty or violent opposition.

It was said that nobody assumed any political post in Oyo State without Baba Adedibu's approval, leading to him being called "THE STRONG MAN OF IBADAN POLITICS". His son, kamorudeen Adeline Adedibu, was elected Senator of Our South in April 2007. Senator Teslim Folarin , elected to the Senate for Oyo Central was his protégé. Sen. Rashidi Ladoja, who became governor of the state in May 2003, was another protégé, although by August 2004, Ladoja and Adedibu were locked in a fierce struggle over allocation of government appointees. As a great man in Ibadan politics, Adedibu has unleashed more than sufficient mayhem on the city of Ibadan, he has wrecked more than enough bedlam

His Death

He was pronounced Died On Arrival (DOA) at the University College Hospital, UCH, Ibadan.
He had visited Lagos earlier in the day for a routine check up at a high brow hospital on Victoria Island. He returned to Ibadan in the afternoon and headed straight for the Immigrations office where he had an appointment.

One of his aides, Mr. Lukman Agboluaje, told Vanguard that it was while Baba Adedibu was going through some paperwork that he slumped. Vanguard gathered that the politician lost consciousness and was rushed to the ICU of the hospital but he died on the way. He was pronounced Dead On Arrival (DOA).

Adedibu died at the University College Hospital in Ibadan on 11 June 2008, leaving the chiefly rank and title of the Ekarun Of Olubadan to be assumed by one of his subordinates in the clan's royal line of succession.

Side Talk/ Reactions and commentary after his death
Nobody can replace him — OBJ

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in a telephone interview that Adedibu's place and role would be difficult to fill. “There will be no one to equal his feat in the politics of Ibadan and Oyo State since its creation just as no one was able to equal the feat of Alhaji Busari Adelakun, alias ‘Eruobodo’.

“It is the end of an era,” Obasanjo said, adding: “nobody can replace him.”
The former president said Adedibu called him to say hello only two days ago.

Read The full History Here:

http://www.urbanng.com/2017/08/urbanngweekly-episode-2-life-history-of-lamidi-adedibu.html?m=1
Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by sanchos9607(m): 6:49am On Aug 11, 2017
No new information here

1 Like

Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by UrbanNG(m): 6:51am On Aug 11, 2017
sanchos9607:
No new information here

You have any?

1 Like

Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by Jabioro: 6:53am On Aug 11, 2017
Adedibu.. Eni kan soso idameji Ibadan.. Truly none would replace him.. No one will like to be a thuggery boss.. the world had change..

2 Likes

Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by sanchos9607(m): 6:56am On Aug 11, 2017
UrbanNG:

You have any?
If I did I would post it
Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by UrbanNG(m): 7:01am On Aug 11, 2017
sanchos9607:

If I did I would post it

So don't spoil people's job is you don't have solution

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by UrbanNG(m): 7:03am On Aug 11, 2017
Jabioro:
Adedibu.. Eni kan soso idameji Ibadan.. Truly none would replace him.. No one will like to be a thuggery boss.. the world had change..

That's true, brother.

I still remember when I was in Ibadan grammar before his death, I usually visit his house on Fridays in the name of reading Newspapers under molete bridge

3 Likes

Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by Homeboiy: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2017
What are we to do with his life?

Who he EPP?
Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by sanchos9607(m): 7:11am On Aug 11, 2017
UrbanNG:

So don't spoil people's job is you don't have solution
I didn't realize I was spoiling your job. My apologies
Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by Deji124(m): 7:46am On Aug 11, 2017
sanchos9607:
No new information here
Go add your own,
Re: Life History Of Baba Lamidi Adedibu by Jabioro: 8:33am On Aug 11, 2017
UrbanNG:

That's true, brother.

I still remember when I was in Ibadan grammar before his death, I usually visit his house on Fridays in the name of reading Newspapers under molete bridge
Yeah that was his abode.. the reigned of terror zone.. in the name of polity.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fact About Saraki Failed Arrest:how He Deceived Dss,police .see Pics / What Some Urhobos Are Saying About President Buhari Second Term Bid (screenshot) / What Do You Think Of This “walkthrough Disinfectant” Manufactured In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.