Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,649 members, 7,820,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics (13428 Views)

How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / 7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Feranchek(m): 11:20am On Aug 11, 2017
If there is something i detest
with all my heart is OFFICE
POLITICS.
There are always this colleagues
in the office that will do
everything possible to hold
others back.They are very good
talkers but poor performers and
are ready to sell out their body,
minds, intergrity to who so ever
can make décisions just to gain
recognition and added
advantages at the expense of
others.They are so toxic and will
drain life out of others.
And you would hear them justify
their actions, with statements
like "mehn. . . . A mam got to do what a man got to do to grow my dear". What nonsense!
Some employees turn to forget
that you don't have to play the
office politics game or engage in
any other form of corruption to
advance in your career.All that
matters is hardwork which has
never failed.

Here are 7 reasons why you
should keep away from office
politics;

1)It promotes managerial
incompetence.

When you play
office politics game,it actually
enables incompetent managers
to advance their own careers on
the backs of subordinates who
take on added burdens and
responsibilities as a means of
gaining favor with those
managers. Getting close to a
person in authority, regardless of
that person's ability, is seen as
more politically advantageous
than a candid assessment of his
performance.

2) It fosters divisiveness in the workplace.

Just be a true friend to
everyone, regardless of their
position.Cooperation and
collaboration will be far easier to
achieve.

3) It thwarts career advancement
based on merit.

Rather than
gaining promotions simply
because you have better
connections,why not spend more
time enhancing your
qualifications?Merit will always
win in the long run.

4) It tramples the ideal of doing
for others without expectation of
payback.

Our purpose is to add
value and not manipulate others.

5) It sees selfishness as a
necessary evil.

Don't send a message of hopeless
acquiescence to the destruction
of what we see as noble in our
lives.You're far better off doing
everything in your power to
avoid office politics at all costs.

6)It creates an environment in
which backbiting is acceptable.

Speaking ill of others behind
their backs is a destructive force
that undermines the spirit of
unity that's a prerequisite for a
healthy working environment.

7)Above all it makes you STUPID!

Office politics is a force of
disintegration that has to be
overcome if integration is to take
place, and that can only be
accomplished through
teamwork.
Great people need to work with
other great people.

Feel free to share your office politics story and it all panned out. Also add your own reason for detesting office politics

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 12, 2017
.chai
Jesus I made ftc.
Lemme go book another land.
Gives am to glo
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by veekid(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2017
Olalekanbanky1:
Evans fall on the two guys above for booking with a line and full stop

I don't know who send this guy come this morning, stay away from my mentions jor
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Olalekanbanky1(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2017
Evans fall on the two guys above for booking with a line and full stop
veekid:

Madolski:
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by sommyblaze(m): 7:32am On Aug 12, 2017
Op you aff said the truth but my advice is that even if a person should not indulge in it,he or she should understand what's going on so that him go dey know what's up.

12 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by sommyblaze(m): 7:32am On Aug 12, 2017
Madolski:
weh done

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nigeriadondie: 7:32am On Aug 12, 2017
undecided When I dey apply for d work shey na politics I come play abi na the money I dey hustle for.
If u want to play politics then enter mainstream politics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Olalekanbanky1(m): 7:32am On Aug 12, 2017
Give us our Evans stories... Seun
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by holatin(m): 7:33am On Aug 12, 2017
the office motto becomes

KILL OR BE KILL
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by bularvz: 7:33am On Aug 12, 2017
Nice write up op
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 12, 2017
See this one. Ur mates would get all the promotion and u go dey stagnant and later get sacked. Ass licking all the way

4 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 12, 2017
Reasons why I work alone.....in a very big garden. No colleague, no subordinate, no manager except my dad when he wants to feel big guy.

No office politics. Infact, no office

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by MhizzAJ(f): 7:34am On Aug 12, 2017
okay
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Celdanstar: 7:35am On Aug 12, 2017
The best way to play office politics is to be exceptionally good at work, that way you can't be ignored nor deprived of your right.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by holatin(m): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2017
jagugu88li:
Reasons why I work alone.....in a very big garden.

abeg lemme join you.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by serikiYCU(m): 7:36am On Aug 12, 2017
There is still the positive aspect of it. If you found yourself in an office where it's been played, You need to play a healthy office politics if you don't want to be relegated to the back seat.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by ramdris(m): 7:37am On Aug 12, 2017
Right on point sir!... This is quite useful for me.. Thanks op
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Sebastine1994(m): 7:37am On Aug 12, 2017
My dear you have got it upside down. You cant be a friend to every body. You have to make your beliefs known to everybody first. If you are just there to work and not for idle chit chats, your action will show your priorities. People will vouch for you because they know what you stand for. Unless you are playing saint,then these lazy workers can easily get at you. I believe a man who has a stand. He will do anything to protect it

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by ERCROSS(m): 7:40am On Aug 12, 2017
Office politics doesn't deter one from being exceptionally good and an indispensable asset to the company.
Mind you, any place where there is power, politics is lurking around somewhere. You can't just dispute that.

And it is still true, A man gotta do what a man gotta do. As long as it's legal.
With power comes money. And power does not always come to the feeble hearted. When you read 48 laws of power and Art of war , You go know say survival is for the fittest... Ogun laye joor

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by cathodekazim: 7:42am On Aug 12, 2017
those tht play office politics are immature, wicked n hv assumed they are inferior to others.

this is common in ma place of work but abive all, dem no say i pass them.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Awoofawo(m): 7:42am On Aug 12, 2017
undecided How angel do when they read useless topic lipsrsealed on frontpage tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by lexy2014: 7:43am On Aug 12, 2017
Feranchek:
If there is something i detest
with all my heart is OFFICE
POLITICS.
There are always this colleagues
in the office that will do
everything possible to hold
others back.They are very good
talkers but poor performers and
are ready to sell out their body,
minds, intergrity to who so ever
can make décisions just to gain
recognition and added
advantages at the expense of
others.They are so toxic and will
drain life out of others.
And you would hear them justify
their actions, with statements
like "mehn. . . . A mam got to do what a man got to do to grow my dear". What nonsense!
Some employees turn to forget
that you don't have to play the
office politics game or engage in
any other form of corruption to
advance in your career.All that
matters is hardwork which has
never failed.

Here are 7 reasons why you
should keep away from office
politics;

1)It promotes managerial
incompetence.

When you play
office politics game,it actually
enables incompetent managers
to advance their own careers on
the backs of subordinates who
take on added burdens and
responsibilities as a means of
gaining favor with those
managers. Getting close to a
person in authority, regardless of
that person's ability, is seen as
more politically advantageous
than a candid assessment of his
performance.

2) It fosters divisiveness in the workplace.

Just be a true friend to
everyone, regardless of their
position.Cooperation and
collaboration will be far easier to
achieve.

3) It thwarts career advancement
based on merit.

Rather than
gaining promotions simply
because you have better
connections,why not spend more
time enhancing your
qualifications?Merit will always
win in the long run.

4) It tramples the ideal of doing
for others without expectation of
payback.

Our purpose is to add
value and not manipulate others.

5) It sees selfishness as a
necessary evil.

Don't send a message of hopeless
acquiescence to the destruction
of what we see as noble in our
lives.You're far better off doing
everything in your power to
avoid office politics at all costs.

6)It creates an environment in
which backbiting is acceptable.

Speaking ill of others behind
their backs is a destructive force
that undermines the spirit of
unity that's a prerequisite for a
healthy working environment.

7)Above all it makes you STUPID!

Office politics is a force of
disintegration that has to be
overcome if integration is to take
place, and that can only be
accomplished through
teamwork.
Great people need to work with
other great people.

Feel free to share your office politics story and it all panned out. Also add your own reason for detesting office politics
bros u can't run from it. Politics is about survival which is d reason y we strive everyday. b good at what u do, but u have to understand d forces in play in ur work environment. d reason so u can protect urself. do more and say less. Keep ur intentions 2 urself, court ur enemies as well and realise u dont need friends just means to an end. Lastly b good 2 everyone u can not because u need favour but because it will speak 4u when it matters

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by deepwater(f): 7:43am On Aug 12, 2017
Kai
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by smartnero24(m): 7:43am On Aug 12, 2017
There's always office politics. There's politics in every sphere of human life because humans are political animals. What matters is how you react to the politicking around you.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by olumzzz(m): 7:43am On Aug 12, 2017
Most importantly. Wen ur godfather is sacked, transferred or simply leaves. U're left all alone against dose dat don't like u.
Am speaking 4rm experience. My own mentor unexpectedly died on the job bt thank God i was friendly with everyone irrespective of the fact dat i was his personal person.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by MyNewJackeT: 7:43am On Aug 12, 2017
what a bout those who sell their body for promotion, I'll like to hear more about that story
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by hebenezher(m): 7:45am On Aug 12, 2017
perhaps, it also drains energy which could result to a marque depression. Office politic is inevitable, as you will always encounter it no matter the extent of your avoidance.
The best thing is to "be yourself" and not involving in it. don't try to impress your boss, just thrive to do the right things(working hard), nature will amend things with time. but seriously it's hard.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 12, 2017
holatin:
abeg lemme join you.
Farm work is not for kids dear. You will die in less than a day.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by thaoriginator: 7:46am On Aug 12, 2017
Political brouhaha grin
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by LordKO(m): 7:46am On Aug 12, 2017
Office politics is notionally avoidable but literally unavoidable. Therefore, to be on a safer side, one of noble class should always endeavour to act and relate with others on principle rather than expediency. With this tactic you won't belong to any group within the office but sure support at anytime, a motion of a person or group that is pure.

When the above philosophy is adopted, at the inception, you may be hated by very many of your colleagues and even some uninformed executive personnel, but in the long run you'll sure become a jewel of the office in particular and organization in general without labouring for it.

If only you have enjoyed the privilege of being elected/selected unopposed/by unsolicited recommendations to a coveted position you didn't aspire to occupy, which others were killing themselves to have, all because your professional and ethical conducts earned you such. When you experience such you'll come to appreciate the importance of creating your own lifestyle on principle and encrypting it.

6 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by holatin(m): 7:51am On Aug 12, 2017
jagugu88li:
Farm work is not for kids dear. You will die in less than a day.
and na me you call kids ANCIENT OF DAYS. in jenifa voice OW OLD YOU HAVE BE ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cross River SUBEB Chairman Locks Out Directors, Other Staff For Lateness(photos) / Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? / Who Is Your Role Model?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.