Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,807 members, 7,956,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:15 PM

7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics (13496 Views)

How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / 7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by dheespectre: 7:53am On Aug 12, 2017
H
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 12, 2017
OP, you are very correct. I detest office politics and also take those play office politics as insecure and opportunists.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Rooy57(m): 8:17am On Aug 12, 2017
It create resistance to evaluation
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by luvola(m): 8:22am On Aug 12, 2017
jagugu88li:
Farm work is not for kids dear. You will die in less than a day.
lol.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 12, 2017
There is a certain "kind" of people who engage in such activities. The same kind as the market tale bearers. There are everywhere - offices, churches, markets, etc
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 12, 2017
sommyblaze:
Op you aff said the truth but my advice is that even if a person should not indulge in it,he or she should understand what's going on so that him go dey know what's up.
U must be a very nice gossip

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by sommyblaze(m): 8:47am On Aug 12, 2017
Madolski:

U must be a very nice gossip

If that is what you understood from what I wrote Then your level of comprehension is below the reach of my helping hand. Sorry bruh....
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by sommyblaze(m): 8:48am On Aug 12, 2017
Madolski:
.chai
Jesus I made ftc.
Lemme go book another land.
Gives am to glo
Glo got me a land today also
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 8:54am On Aug 12, 2017
sommyblaze:

Glo got me a land today also
D thing dey sweet joor. I just registered last week

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by brandmix: 9:04am On Aug 12, 2017
@OP I will have to agree and disagree with you.

The benefits of Office politics is relative to the position you find yourself in the organisational ladder.

So while I agree that trying to play politics with/without any real competence makes you look stupid if you are at the bottom of the pyramid, office politics is INDISPENSABLE to middle or senior level management.

The higher you go, the question of competence reduces (cos i mean..there is only an extent a bullshit artist can go before he gets exposed ).

At that level Loyalty and alignment become more of a question.

Simply put..you can't advance rapidly in the management class with mere competence (it's possible but a long long process)

you need both competence & a touch of office politics
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Edogechcutie: 9:10am On Aug 12, 2017
It's always best to be your own boss,work at the comfort of your home,so many people look for how to make cool cash online but haven't been successful until now,but it's not as easy as you may think so it's not for lazy people,you will have to be online for at least 3hours a day to be able to make reasonable buck,you could earn up to 300USD a day.

How you may ask, smileySimple go to this Russian site,register, look ,click and type,it's that simple but use Google Chrome sha so it can be interpreted into English. The best part is you can easily take your cash through western union or other means once it accumulates to 100USD..take advantage before the job is finished,after all what do u have to loose?Thank me latter,enough said http://d823.reddengi.top/241570313077/
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by lonelydora: 9:39am On Aug 12, 2017
Feranchek:
If there is something i detest
with all my heart is OFFICE
POLITICS.
There are always this colleagues
in the office that will do
everything possible to hold
others back.They are very good
talkers but poor performers and
are ready to sell out their body,
minds, intergrity to who so ever
can make décisions just to gain
recognition and added
advantages at the expense of
others.They are so toxic and will
drain life out of others.
And you would hear them justify
their actions, with statements
like "mehn. . . . A mam got to do what a man got to do to grow my dear". What nonsense!
Some employees turn to forget
that you don't have to play the
office politics game or engage in
any other form of corruption to
advance in your career.All that
matters is hardwork which has
never failed.

Here are 7 reasons why you
should keep away from office
politics;

1)It promotes managerial
incompetence.

When you play
office politics game,it actually
enables incompetent managers
to advance their own careers on
the backs of subordinates who
take on added burdens and
responsibilities as a means of
gaining favor with those
managers. Getting close to a
person in authority, regardless of
that person's ability, is seen as
more politically advantageous
than a candid assessment of his
performance.

2) It fosters divisiveness in the workplace.

Just be a true friend to
everyone, regardless of their
position.Cooperation and
collaboration will be far easier to
achieve.

3) It thwarts career advancement
based on merit.

Rather than
gaining promotions simply
because you have better
connections,why not spend more
time enhancing your
qualifications?Merit will always
win in the long run.

4) It tramples the ideal of doing
for others without expectation of
payback.

Our purpose is to add
value and not manipulate others.

5) It sees selfishness as a
necessary evil.

Don't send a message of hopeless
acquiescence to the destruction
of what we see as noble in our
lives.You're far better off doing
everything in your power to
avoid office politics at all costs.

6)It creates an environment in
which backbiting is acceptable.

Speaking ill of others behind
their backs is a destructive force
that undermines the spirit of
unity that's a prerequisite for a
healthy working environment.

7)Above all it makes you STUPID!

Office politics is a force of
disintegration that has to be
overcome if integration is to take
place, and that can only be
accomplished through
teamwork.
Great people need to work with
other great people.

Feel free to share your office politics story and it all panned out. Also add your own reason for detesting office politics

In my office ehhh! Politics is the order of the day. Backbiting is one of the aspects I detest. Even the Group HR is playing politics as if that's what he came to do. But, all I know, time will tell.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 12, 2017
The writing format don dey pain my eyes wTF man!
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 12, 2017
holatin:
and na me you call kids ANCIENT OF DAYS. in jenifa voice OW OLD YOU HAVE BE ?
Early 20's You are asking a lady her age...........kids of today.

*claps and throws hands*
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by holatin(m): 10:44am On Aug 12, 2017
jagugu88li:
Early 20's You are asking a lady her age...........kids of today.

*claps and throws hands*
how old re you ancestor since you think you are older than everybody you come across
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by 400billionman: 11:16am On Aug 12, 2017
Feranchek:
If there is something i detest
with all my heart is OFFICE
POLITICS.
There are always this colleagues
in the office that will do
everything possible to hold
others back.They are very good
talkers but poor performers and
are ready to sell out their body,
minds, intergrity to who so ever
can make décisions just to gain
recognition and added
advantages at the expense of
others.They are so toxic and will
drain life out of others.
And you would hear them justify
their actions, with statements
like "mehn. . . . A mam got to do what a man got to do to grow my dear". What nonsense!
Some employees turn to forget
that you don't have to play the
office politics game or engage in
any other form of corruption to
advance in your career.All that
matters is hardwork which has
never failed.

Here are 7 reasons why you
should keep away from office
politics;

1)It promotes managerial
incompetence.

When you play
office politics game,it actually
enables incompetent managers
to advance their own careers on
the backs of subordinates who
take on added burdens and
responsibilities as a means of
gaining favor with those
managers. Getting close to a
person in authority, regardless of
that person's ability, is seen as
more politically advantageous
than a candid assessment of his
performance.

2) It fosters divisiveness in the workplace.

Just be a true friend to
everyone, regardless of their
position.Cooperation and
collaboration will be far easier to
achieve.

3) It thwarts career advancement
based on merit.

Rather than
gaining promotions simply
because you have better
connections,why not spend more
time enhancing your
qualifications?Merit will always
win in the long run.

4) It tramples the ideal of doing
for others without expectation of
payback.

Our purpose is to add
value and not manipulate others.

5) It sees selfishness as a
necessary evil.

Don't send a message of hopeless
acquiescence to the destruction
of what we see as noble in our
lives.You're far better off doing
everything in your power to
avoid office politics at all costs.

6)It creates an environment in
which backbiting is acceptable.

Speaking ill of others behind
their backs is a destructive force
that undermines the spirit of
unity that's a prerequisite for a
healthy working environment.

7)Above all it makes you STUPID!

Office politics is a force of
disintegration that has to be
overcome if integration is to take
place, and that can only be
accomplished through
teamwork.
Great people need to work with
other great people.

Feel free to share your office politics story and it all panned out. Also add your own reason for detesting office politics

Office politics dey everywhere.

Anyone who wants to control, blackmail manipulate or influence people's perception of who you are, either in an office, church, relationship, neighborhood or business venture is playing office politics on your head..

Now, how does one protect himself from such ?
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by jamace(m): 11:21am On Aug 12, 2017
Even if you run away from office politics, office politics MUST affect you one way or the other.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by 400billionman: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2017
LordKO:
Office politics is notionally avoidable but literally unavoidable. Therefore, to be on a safer side, one of noble class should always endeavour to act and relate with others on principle rather than expediency. With this tactic you won't belong to any group within the office but sure support at anytime, a motion of a person or group that is pure.

When the above philosophy is adopted, at the inception, you may be hated by very many of your colleagues and even some uninformed executive personnel, but in the long run you'll sure become a jewel of the office in particular and organization in general without labouring for it.

If only you have enjoyed the privilege of being elected/selected unopposed/by unsolicited recommendations to a coveted position you didn't aspire to occupy, which others were killing themselves to have, all because your professional and ethical conducts earned you such. When you experience such you'll come to appreciate the importance of creating your own lifestyle on principle and encrypting it.

That is if one of those bosses is not a glaringly biased bastard. Forgive my words.

Some bosses choose who to make scape goats of in offices.

You would hear your name being called openly when you haven't done or said nothing.

Perhaps, you are his immediate subordinate and staffers speak good of your work ethics and he feels you are shadowing his shine. His glory is going to you.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Emassive(m): 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2017
I hope some company put a check on this.. it's destroying some companies I know of
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by lansha2006: 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2017
LordKO:
Office politics is notionally avoidable but literally unavoidable. Therefore, to be on a safer side, one of noble class should always endeavour to act and relate with others on principle rather than expediency. With this tactic you won't belong to any group within the office but sure support at anytime, a motion of a person or group that is pure.

When the above philosophy is adopted, at the inception, you may be hated by very many of your colleagues and even some uninformed executive personnel, but in the long run you'll sure become a jewel of the office in particular and organization in general without labouring for it.

If only you have enjoyed the privilege of being elected/selected unopposed/by unsolicited recommendations to a coveted position you didn't aspire to occupy, which others were killing themselves to have, all because your professional and ethical conducts earned you such. When you experience such you'll come to appreciate the importance of creating your own lifestyle on principle and encrypting it.

Right on spot

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by Milo30(m): 5:53pm On Aug 12, 2017
LordKO:

This is well written. I applaud it

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by themodernman: 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2017
This is a very important topic that has solidified the adage "attitude determines your altitude".

Ppl think attitude is about being a good person and not thinking evil of anyone. Attitude is actually about having a strong personality that can always save you from sandbaggers...That's what ATTITUDE is actually about. Having a strong personality that can win people to your side and neutralize all d fiery darts of the evil one.
Re: 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics by themodernman: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2017
I'm forced to quote Ephesians 6:16 above all, taking up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Possibilities With MPH / Describe Your Job In One Word. / Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.