Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,360 members, 7,836,468 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! (3819 Views)

ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike, See The Memo / ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017-Vangaurd / ASUU Declares One Week Warning Strike (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Dapromzy333(m): 12:28am On Aug 14, 2017

Following the outcome of the referendum meeting held! Sunday afternoon in Abuja by the union leaders, the Academic staff Union of Universities has declared an indefinite strike from Monday 14th August 2017. This the Union leader says is to persuade the Federal government to meet their demands. This came after several branches of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) have voted overwhelmingly for members in both federal and state universities to embark on an indefinite strike to press home the implementation of their demands.

ASUU branches nationwide on Friday held a referendum in line with an earlier directive by the National Executive Council (NEC) to vote whether the strike will be indefinite strike, one month strike, one week warning and no strike.

The meeting of ASUU NEC is currently ongoing at the union’s secretariat at Abuja to deliberate on the outcome of the referendum conducted by the branches.

Feelers from the NEC meeting indicate that several of the branches including the University of Lagos (UNILAG), University of Ibadan (UI) and Lagos State University (LASU) voted for an indefinite industrial action.

One of ASUU Zonal Coordinators told our Correspondent that his zone voted overwhelmingly for strike and that the outcome of the referendum conducted on Friday will be collated to enable the union take a position.

Among issues in contention includes, federal government breach of the 2009 FG/ASUU Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed agreement on financing grant to state universities, conditions of service, non implementation of Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) and re -negotiation of the agreement.

Other outstanding issues are non provision of revitalization funds to public universities, non release of NUPEMCO operational licence, payment of half salaries to members and government owing universities outstanding N880 billion in intervention fund.

http://solutionclass.com/forum2_theme_112474269.xhtml?tema=737

Lala,Seun

1 Like

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Lisaint(m): 12:30am On Aug 14, 2017
And NANS hv bin held ransom again
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Nobody: 12:52am On Aug 14, 2017
ok
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by GraceEzeh(f): 12:57am On Aug 14, 2017
Make e be joke o
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by adebayo3449(m): 1:11am On Aug 14, 2017
Why website like punch no carry the news
Bloggers hell is real o
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Olusholatayo(m): 1:23am On Aug 14, 2017
adebayo3449:
Why website like punch no carry the news
Bloggers hell is real o

If we are to be really sure, we will have to wait till dawn and see what news the national dailies (punch, guardian, and the likes) would carry.
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by jaymejate: 1:49am On Aug 14, 2017
baba, nor be joke o. na confirm tori
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Roland17(m): 3:07am On Aug 14, 2017
Strikes are supposed to be used a last resort when every other bargaining/ negotiation option fails, however, the case is different in Nigeria as strikes are utilized as the first and most important option.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by alkines(m): 3:38am On Aug 14, 2017
my condolence to all final year students in various versities as this is a very sad news!! my condolence to all final year students in various versities as this is a very sad news!!

1 Like

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Ayaba03(f): 5:05am On Aug 14, 2017
These people, there is God ooo. I was in my 100level wen dy went on 6 months strike in 2013, now i have less than 2 months to finish and round up from sch (500l), they com go on indefinte strike again.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by THUNDAR(m): 5:14am On Aug 14, 2017
My official sympathy goes to KSU and BSU students! Holiday is not yet over

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by akinlabiadams: 6:40am On Aug 14, 2017
God will help us in this our great nation..
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by AroOkigbo(m): 6:51am On Aug 14, 2017
Roland17:
Strikes are supposed to be used a last resort when every other bargaining/ negotiation option fails, however, the case is different in Nigeria as strikes are utilized as the first and most important option.
For an agreement that was reached in 2009?
gosh!!
smh!!!
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by AlanTuringAI: 6:59am On Aug 14, 2017
Roland17:
Say what you know Mister. They've been persuading this government since its inception in 2015 to keep to that agreement (an 8-year old agreement) but it's obvious the Buhari govt pays no mind to education, as the Senate had tried many times to intervene but the govt has shown no real commitment. This is a govt that allocated more in the budget to the Ministry of Information (so Lai Mohammed could hire online lapdogs to spread propaganda around) than the Ministry of Education, in its two successive budget passed already. Where is that done in any sane country? The little gains we've managed to enjoy on our campuses today -TETFUND interventions (If not for this, most state universities will have probably only 1 or 2 buildings), NEEDS assessment and the likes, were results of strike cos the language the Nigerian govt understands only is force. Before you accuse ASUU of not holding on enough, try and see all the numerous avenues they've exhausted to resolving this issue, to no avail.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by AlanTuringAI: 7:00am On Aug 14, 2017
AroOkigbo:

For an agreement that was reached in 2009?
gosh!!
smh!!!
You can simply imagine some people's line of thought. Really pathetic. We deserve the kind of leaders we have.
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Yhelay(m): 7:01am On Aug 14, 2017
How many months this time?
on a lighter note, thank God am out of ASUU's grip
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by dhardline(m): 7:09am On Aug 14, 2017
Imagine if all the union members bring together all the students and March them to the Senate and house of assemblies and demand that the money is released immediately.It will definitely go along way. Cause if they don't many of the politicians have their wards abroad so this strike no concern them. cry
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 14, 2017
This country is finished!!! Playing with the future of our youths....Buhari's Government to be frank has shown no commitment to this agreement at all!!

1 Like

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by pelumi111: 7:16am On Aug 14, 2017
Honestly education in this country is dead...... just imagine lautec student sitting at home for 2years and now other universities is going for INDEFINATE strike and the government could do NOTHING

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by toocoded: 7:21am On Aug 14, 2017
Nkan mbeeee!!! I wonder what Prof Yemi has to say.
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by pTomz(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2017
seriously this thing no gel atall, my school commenced her second semester exams so early than usual just to avoid the strike bfr examz n round up the semester... now just look at this, some never still finish
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 14, 2017
Honestly,I don't know what to say but definitely,I won't be blaming the lecturers/ASUU on this one. Nobody in his right senses will. The Nigerian government is one that places very little premium on education. Why wouldn't it when majority of our government officials have their children in schools in the United Kingdom or United States? Worst part is that some of us come here on Nairaland to post their graduation pictures and celebrate the children of the same men who have contributed in one way or the other to deny us access to good education. What the bleep is wrong with us? sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 14, 2017
KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY NOT JOINING THE STRIKE...... MAKE UNA GO TEST STRIKE SMALL. :-):-):-):-) STRIKE FALL ON YOU, LECTURE FALL ON ME
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by judchuks20(m): 10:04am On Aug 14, 2017
We're providing insight into business blogging for cash in Nigeria. If you like to get a blog or website for your company, register to attend seminar here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/business-blogging-for-cash-in-nigeria-tickets-36865065403
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by cc150615(f): 11:08am On Aug 14, 2017
Oh my dear lautech....
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by odoguma(m): 11:27am On Aug 14, 2017
Recruiting Now!

Are you out of school and in need of a short term job to make money before resumption. Look no further.
Iroko Tv is now recruiting for Offline Sales Agent who will sell their subscription vouchers to existing and new customer.
Basic Salary: 25K
On-Time target: 40 to 60K and above.
Application is by sending in CV to erecruiter@erecnigeria.com with the email subject "Offline Sales Agent - (Location) "

They now have openings for Offline Sales Agents in various locations in Lagos.

Locations include:

- Ikeja
- Victoria Island
- Surulere
- Lekki
- Alimosho
- Isolo/Okota
- Yaba
- Ajah
- Maryland
- Trade Fair/Alaba
- Iyana Ipaja/Idimu
- Ketu
- Ikorodu
- Apapa
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Wizklynd23(m): 12:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
Poooo ASUU why me!!!!!!! Thank God is only ASUU that went to strike, not commercial banks in Nigeria..... This one I dey broke ASUU they go strike abi dey elp ma ministry or spoil am!!!! Make I rest small be4 this guys come back from strike.............
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by lycan2: 1:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
loooolll ASUU we no always declaring holiday
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by leCaptain(m): 1:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
And to think LAUTECH sef go still join on this one is truly heartbreaking! Na dem I pity pass
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Kamelot77(m): 2:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
proudly unilorite
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Pref(m): 3:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
Amossity:
KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY NOT JOINING THE STRIKE...... MAKE UNA GO TEST STRIKE SMALL. :-):-):-):-) STRIKE FALL ON YOU, LECTURE FALL ON ME
dy Dia dy jonze urself
Re: Breaking News! ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017 -pics! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
AM IN LOVE WITH MY SCHOOL (KSU) KOGI STATE UNI
It was a cold evening lying down on my bed in
the hostel when the news got to me that the
Iroko tree has falling and that is about the
nationwide ASUU strike. At first, i fainted, and
common ant whispered to my ears saying 'Uncle amos
you fall my hand o, dont you know your
school is not part of the strike' i jumped up to my
feet and looked around whether i will see the ant
to give a high five but couldn't recognized the
particular one because they were much around,
Then i regained my strength back. I believe ksu
strike is dead and buried and can never be seen
again. Now i can stand on my toes that 'Am in
love with My School'....ASUU has been ban in ksu b4 this issue of national strike.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Know The Difference Between Uk, Britain, England? / Lautech Post Ume Cut Off / What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.