Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,573 members, 7,958,778 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:44 PM

What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians? (3843 Views)

10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians? by Princek12(m): 12:30pm On May 14, 2010
I thought about this and was wondering whether anyone knows the answer. From my perception, though, I believe Nigerians themselves overestimate the number of educated Nigerians because Nigeria has many non-urban areas, places in which lack (or have inept) educational infrastructures and, therefore, harbor many children who do not have the opportunity go to school.
Re: What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 14, 2010
Well you know Nigerians government officials alwys forge figures on literacy levels to the organisations abroad so as to get funding,but depening on you defination of literacy.The educational sysytem is bad and degrees put food on the table ,so some Languages:
English (official), Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani

Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 68%
male: 75.7%
female: 60.6% (2003 est.)

School life expectancy (primary to tertiary education):
total: 8 years
male: 9 years
female: 7 years (2004)

Education expenditures:
0.9% of GDP (1991)
country comparison to the world: 180
people have certicates but they are still ignorant in Nigeria How ever visit CIA.com
Re: What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians? by Princek12(m): 3:40pm On May 14, 2010
I would think the definition of being literate is graduating from secondary school (high school).
Re: What Is The Percentage Of Illiterate Nigerians? by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 14, 2010
That is not true ,in Nigeria a litrate person is somebody that can read and write.

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin Post-ume Registration 2012-2013 / B.sc In Chemistry & Masters In Pharmaceutical Chemistry Can They Go Together? / Maths Whatsap Chat Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.