Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue (12495 Views)

AC Milan Vs Juventus (0 - 1) On 20th September 2014 / AC Milan Vs Barcelona - UCL (2 - 0) On 20th February 2013 / UCL: AC Milan Vs Arsenal (4 - 0) On 15th February 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by khanye(m): 5:52pm On Feb 15, 2010
Champions League Salvation

Before their game against Udinese on Friday, Milan hadn't won a game in any competition since their defeat to Inter in the Derby della Madonnina. But the 3-2 win against the Bianconeri has put the Rossoneri back on track.

At the moment Milan are third in the Serie A table and at this stage, all they can aspire to accomplish in the domestic arena this campaign is to finish second. Leonardo's side are out of the Coppa Italia and the Champions League is the only way that they can gain salvation.

Playing Manchester United at home in the first-leg of the Round of 16 wouldn't necessarily be an easy task and perhaps Leonardo would have liked the first-leg to have been at Old Trafford. However, the last time the two giants of European football clashed was in the 2006-2007 Champions League semi-finals, which Milan won 5-3 on aggregate.

Moreover, Milan defeated Real Madrid 3-2 at the Bernabeu in the group stages and held the neo-Galacticos to a 1-1 draw at home, so they wouldn't be intimidated by the Red Devils, who do not have a superstar in his prime except Wayne Rooney.

Sheen Lost But Spirit Retained

After Manchester United lost Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in the summer, many thought that this season the reigning English champions would struggle. Which they did initially and on occasions, but at the moment United are second in the Premier League table, just a solitary point behind leaders Chelsea. Moreover, they won their group in the Champions League quite comfortably.

However, United have yet to come up against any big teams in the Champions League this season and Milan would be their toughest test yet. But playing the first-leg away from home would be a good thing for the Red Devils as they would know that even a defeat wouldn't be bad.

It would be interesting to see how the traveling United fans take to the fact that their former idol and icon David Beckham would be playing against them for the first time since he left Old Trafford in 2003. Beckham has already remarked that he wouldn't celebrate if he scores against his old side but was quick to point out that it wouldn't matter if he doesn't feature on Tuesday night as long as Milan garner a victory.

Another point of interest is that the Rossoneri have never failed to progress when they have faced the English giants in a two-legged tie.

FORM GUIDE

Milan

February 12 v Udinese (H) - WON 3-2 (Serie A)

February 7 v Bologna (A) - DREW 0-0 (Serie A)

January 31 v Livorno (H) - DREW 1-1 (Serie A)

January 27 v Udinese (H) - LOST 1-0 (Coppa Italia)

January 25 v Inter (A) - LOST 2-0 (Serie A)

Manchester United

February 10 v Aston Villa (A) - DREW 1-1 (Premier League)

February 6 v Portsmouth (H) - WON 5-0 (Premier League)

January 31 v Arsenal (A) - WON 3-1 (Premier League)

January 27 v Manchester City - WON 3-2 (League Cup)

January 23 v Hull City - WON 4-0 (Premier League)

TEAM NEWS

Milan

Marco Borriello is out with injury but Alexandre Pato is back. David Beckham might be given the nod ahead of Gennaro Gattuso in the midfield but coach Leonardo might like to go with the Italian given that Beckham could probably struggle against a workman-like United midfield.

Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Dida, Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Favalli; Gattuso, Ambrosini, Pirlo; Pato, Huntelaar, Ronaldinho

Manchester United

Nemanja Vidic, Ryan Giggs and Anderson have been left behind in Manchester as they all are suffering from injury. Rio Ferdinand and Nani are available as their suspensions cover only domestic matches.

Probable Lineup (4-5-1): Van der Sar, Rafael, Brown, Ferdinand, Evra; Fletcher, Scholes, Nani, Carrick, Valencia; Rooney

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1715/match-preview/2010/02/15/1791797/champions-league-preview-ac-milan-manchester-united
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by fortman(m): 6:39pm On Feb 15, 2010
up man u for life smiley
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by edoyad(m): 8:40pm On Feb 15, 2010
Man U una oga dey find una . Heheheheheh heheheeeehh . grin
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by jalether(m): 8:46pm On Feb 15, 2010
Ronaldinho will put the scummies out of their misery, you heard it here first cool

Agg- Milan 3-2 man utd tongue tongue
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by chic2pimp(m): 8:48pm On Feb 15, 2010
I'll keep my predictions close to my chest.

Forza Rossoneri!!! cool
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by jalether(m): 8:51pm On Feb 15, 2010
chic2pimp:

I'll keep my predictions close to my chest.

Forza Rossoneri!!! cool

You dey fear, spill it out sharp sharp
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by chic2pimp(m): 8:57pm On Feb 15, 2010
jalether:

You dey fear, spill it out sharp sharp
Fear ke? undecided
I'm not one to boast wink
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by adebayo201: 2:03am On Feb 16, 2010
Tuff match 4 bth team. Bt go 4 man u. No mata wat milan wil find d bak of d ntwrk bt unitd prevail ahead of d italia
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by Borat1: 2:09am On Feb 16, 2010
jalether:

Ronaldinho will put the scummies out of their misery, you heard it here first cool

Agg- Milan 3-2 man utd tongue tongue

Only in your dreams will manscum score two goals at the sansiro. . .
Milan 3 - 0 tarados
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by jalether(m): 3:00am On Feb 16, 2010
~Borat~:

Only in your dreams will manscum score two goals at the sansiro. . .
Milan 3 - 0 tarados

haha, be lenient on the scummies nah, the outcome is all that counts (i.e Milan goes through on 3-2 aggregate)
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by elowa: 5:55am On Feb 16, 2010
i go with milan on the first leg
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by Dclique(m): 8:28am On Feb 16, 2010
United are gona loose in San Siro.
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by HNIC(m): 8:58am On Feb 16, 2010
United look good to get a result at San siro
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by MrTA(m): 9:39am On Feb 16, 2010
Milan are an experienced side. They can still turn it on in the big games so i expect it to be hard at the San siro for Man utd. I'll go with a score draw. probably 1-1.
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by tayoccu(m): 9:55am On Feb 16, 2010
man utd should be careful, they were the last english side to be knocked out of the UCL by an italian team.

@OP
nice work, but try not to copy and paste again.
and add a poll will you
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by FBS: 10:40am On Feb 16, 2010
tayoccu:

man utd should be careful, they were the last english side to be knocked out of the UCL by an italian team.

@OP
nice work, but try not to copy and paste again.
and add a poll will you
LOL! You just take style yab the guy. grin
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by tkb417(m): 11:32am On Feb 16, 2010
i see a 1-1 draw

it will be a good game for the 2 sides.
i expect Nani and Rooney to be too fast for those ancient of days
Milan shd start preparing for the league cos at OT , it will be a massacre!!
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by aieromon(m): 12:40pm On Feb 16, 2010
This is serious copy and paste from a very biased site full of crappy journalists.
AC have never been knocked out by an English giant,wtf you calling Asnal midgets now
We've never won in San Siro,but Inter shyt in their pants the last time we visited.
Back to topic,
The focus should be shifted from the midfield.Fletcher and Carrick/Scholes should do:Fletcher kicking butts and Carrick/Scholes distributing to the wingers.This is an Owen game because too much pressure would be on Rooney.
Yea,once the goal comes,bring in Park and switch to 4-5-1.
Jor ohh,AC no reach,ask Inter.
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by elowa: 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
@ aieromon
i ll help pass ur message/advice to fergusson

tkb417:

i see a 1-1 draw
Thought you would be too selfish to go for a win, why not just forget this and work towards OT's leg. I see a win for milan tongue grin
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by seunspice(m): 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2010
Everytime United visit the sansiro for a Milan clash, there is always something wrong with the defense. However, based on current form in the EPL (which can be rubbished against decent teams from Italy or Spain in clashes like this) United stand a near decent chance to go through today's matc unhumiliated. I don't see them losing 3 nil like they did some seasons ago against Milan, but as a united fan, i know winning in the san siro against milan (despite whoever makes that milan 11 tonight) would not be as easy as Everton beating Chelsea in the EPL. I hope for a score draw of some magnitude incase the away goals come to play.
You dont want to be playing Milan now, i bet you.
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by slimghost(m): 1:12pm On Feb 16, 2010
I see a victory 4 Man u. Milan 1- UTD 2
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by edoyad(m): 1:18pm On Feb 16, 2010

Blood on the dance floor at the San Siro

Man U fans, in need of pen¡s enlargement ? grin grin
Call Wenger on 070205685 or email: giantkillers@Emirates.com
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by oluponpin: 1:23pm On Feb 16, 2010
up manchester united,l guess d scores is 4_0, grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by Emperoh(m): 1:27pm On Feb 16, 2010
realistically, i can only envisage for a draw here!!
Sansiro has not always been a great ground for us. . . .so our best result is a scored draw
or worse case scenario, we lose by a goal margin!!!

But we should boot Milan out!!

Chic2pimp
Abeg predict something. . . .no dey try hide ya fear in the name of not boasting!!
grin grin tongue
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by Robertpapi: 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2010
Men i am so looking forward to this match and its gonna be really funny if Man U loose again at the end of both legs especially with Rooney`s current form.

Anyways the match really is between Seedorf/Ronaldino and Carrick/Fletcher , whoever is sharper wins the game!

Cos i see Nesta keeping Rooney at bay again as always and Pato is just coming back from injury and wont be sharp enough to beat Fedinand.

At the end of the day my prediction is

Man U 1 : 0 AC Milan  1st leg

Goal coming from Berbatov or Owen in the 2nd half.

grin and am not a Man U fan!
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by FBS: 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2010
Dinho to score a from a set piece.
Dinho to provide a "no-look" pass for Pato to score. . .

erm erm. . .well, ok, that's all for now. cool
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by m4real(m): 1:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
fortman:

up man u for life smiley

One United!,
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by djcrucifix(m): 1:50pm On Feb 16, 2010
match yen ma le gan shocked shocked shocked

may the best team win.
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by FBS: 1:57pm On Feb 16, 2010
Rooney to score. . .

brb. cheesy
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by jekijendo(m): 2:19pm On Feb 16, 2010
i pray they beat man u becos i hate the devil
Re: Champions League: Ac Milan vs Manchester United [2 - 3] on Feb. 16, Tue by lalaboi(m): 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2010
C'mon MILAN!!!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FA Cup: Liverpool Vs Manchester United (2 - 1) On 28th January 2012 / Manchester City Vs Atlanta: UCL (5 - 1) On 22nd October 2019 / Sevilla Vs Arsenal UCL (1 - 2) On 24th October 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.