Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,315 members, 7,839,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. (3038 Views)

Unmarried, Childless Women Are Happiest People Of All, Says Expert / How Akwa Ibom Makes Their Daughters Unmarried Via Marriage List / Photo Of A Pretty Young Mother And Her Son Which Has Gone Viral . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2017
Hello Nairalander! Please who has gone through the issue of applying for visa for her child and the embassy is asking for the father's passport....

1) Never been married to the child father
2) the child has the father's name on the birth certificate
3) Been trying to get across to the father and not available
4) Just got to know that he has travelled out of the country
5) Child is in my care (with my parents)
My Question is this?
How do I apply for child custody in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by BlackDBagba: 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2017
Go to a lawyer and ask him( no females at the bar only gentlemen in skirt grin) to file an application for maintaining existing custody of the child in question.

Make an affidavit of facts to that effect and submit at the Court stating the facts you just stated and then submit at the Embassy.

Go to any High court in Nigeria, Family Section and make more enquiries.

4 Likes

Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
BlackDBagba:
Go to a lawyer and ask him( no females at the bar only gentlemen in skirt grin) to file an application for maintaining existing custody of the child in question.

Make an affidavit of facts to that effect and submit at the Court stating the facts you just stated and then submit at the Embassy.

Go to any High court in Nigeria, Family Section and make more enquiries.

Thanks for your prompt reply, I am currently not in the country now but can the process be done in my absence at court?
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by BlackDBagba: 7:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
To some extent yes... the courts would not ordinarily grant you custody when you're not here. More so, when you need to testify in court , who would do that for you ? If the child is of an age where the court can speak to him or her, he or she would also need to be present. Contract a lawyer and give them all the details. You'll be glad you did. smiley

That's as free as my pro bono services go....

Peace out grin

oduamine:

Thanks for your prompt reply, I am currently not in the country now but can the process be done in my absence at court?

1 Like

Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by coolcatty: 7:47pm On Aug 14, 2017
Who signed/filed the notary public document at the embassy??

If it's America.... Pls Pls find ur baby papa and kindly make peace with him..you need his consent 100%.I know many people that are going through this same issue...
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 1:17am On Aug 15, 2017
BlackDBagba:
To some extent yes... the courts would not ordinarily grant you custody when you're not here. More so, when you need to testify in court , who would do that for you ? If the child is of an age where the court can speak to him or her, he or she would also need to be present. Contract a lawyer and give them all the details. You'll be glad you did. smiley

That's as free as my pro bono services go....

Peace out grin

Thank you! I will do that.
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 1:18am On Aug 15, 2017
coolcatty:
Who signed/filed the notary public document at the embassy??

If it's America.... Pls Pls find ur baby papa and kindly make peace with him..you need his consent 100%.I know many people that are going through this same issue...
I am the one that applied for her at the embassy
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 4:17am On Aug 22, 2017
Updates on my daughter's Visa application.
t tried contacting the father of my child via email and he responded by saying he has written to the embassy not to allow me take the child.T his is a child that he has never spent on and the well keep of the child is on me please I need a good advice on what to do now because both parents are not based in Nigeria but the child has been living with my parents for almost 4 years now. Thank you all.
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by NoToPile: 8:27am On Aug 22, 2017
oduamine:
Updates on my daughter's Visa application.
t tried contacting the father of my child via email and he responded by saying he has written to the embassy not to allow me take the child.T his is a child that he has never spent on and the well keep of the child is on me please I need a good advice on what to do now because both parents are not based in Nigeria but the child has been living with my parents for almost 4 years now. Thank you all.

Some men sha,
Upkeep for the child you don't pay
Let the child go and meet the mum abroad you won't allow.

Can you contact his family members, parents to talk to him or something.
The child has been taken care of by you and your parents, he never paid upkeep for the child so why is he preventing you from taking him outside the country?

Is he married now? Did he not accept the pregnancy initially?

If you can get someone to talk to him it will be good.

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by baby124: 9:26am On Aug 22, 2017
Why did you people contact him sef? You could have claimed he was missing. Instead you people use your hand to find trouble. On top someone living his life but interfering in the lives of people he shamelessly abandoned. Just go to the embassy and apply for the visa. If it comes up tell them the father has long abandoned the child. The father does not support the child in any way, only the mother does. It is also becoming detrimental to the mental health and well being of the child to be separated from the mother.

Tell the embassy to request proof of financial and emotional support from the father who is denying her passage to prove if you are telling the truth or not. When there is proof that he is a useless father who refused legal and other means to support his child, they will grant the visa. Go and apply and claim abandonment by the father till they ask you questions.

5 Likes

Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 11:34am On Aug 22, 2017
NoToPile:

Some men sha,
Upkeep for the child you don't pay
Let the child go and meet the mum abroad you won't allow.

Can you contact his family members, parents to talk to him or something.
The child has been taken care of by you and your parents, he never paid upkeep for the child so why is he preventing you from taking him outside the country?

Is he married now? Did he not accept the pregnancy initially?

If you can get someone to talk to him it will be good.
The Mum and his Uncle really tried but later told me there is little they can do about it. I don't know if he is married now yes he accepted the pregnancy when I even put his name on her birth certificate.
People that try to him he will stop talking to them
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by oduamine: 11:38am On Aug 22, 2017
baby124:
Why did you people contact him sef? You could have claimed he was missing. Instead you people use your hand to find trouble. On top someone living his life but interfering in the lives of people he shamelessly abandoned. Just go to the embassy and apply for the visa. If it comes up tell them the father has long abandoned the child. The father does not support the child in any way, only the mother does. It is also becoming detrimental to the mental health and well being of the child to be separated from the mother.

Tell the embassy to request proof of financial and emotional support from the father who is denying her passage to prove if you are telling the truth or not. When there is proof that he is a useless father who refused legal and other means to support his child, they will grant the visa. Go and apply and claim abandonment by the father till they ask you questions.

It was not intentional since the embassy asked us to try other means of making contact with him that is why I sent an email and I think it is better I tried it the embassy way so that he will not file a case later for child abduction. His reply to my email this morning was that he has written the embassy to deny the the visa application....i don't know why he has to do that but I have not heard from the embassy and they are not requesting for any supporting documents yet.
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by baby124: 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2017
oduamine:

It was not intentional since the embassy asked us to try other means of making contact with him that is why I sent an email and I think it is better I tried it the embassy way so that he will not file a case later for child abduction. His reply to my email this morning was that he has written the embassy to deny the the visa application....i don't know why he has to do that but I have not heard from the embassy and they are not requesting for any supporting documents yet.
Don't volunteer information they don't ask for. If they bring the letter up tell them that the father has since abandoned the child. Period. If they say the father emailed them, tell them to ask the father to provide proof of contact prior to them asking you to contact him.

Tell them that he said he was not interested in the child up till now and he has never contributed anything to the growth of the child whether emotionally or financially. That it's so bad you went to great lengths to contact him and he refused to give the child permission.

Tell them that the father is not even in the country and no one has set eyes on him since he heard the mother was pregnant. Make sure you tell them that your parents and the mother have been the primary carers of the child. That the child is requesting to see the mother and it is becoming distressing to the child that you people can no longer cope, the child really needs the mother at this point.

How can he now claim abduction of a child he has never seen or supported. Nonsense. Take your lawyer with you if you can.

3 Likes

Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by NoToPile: 7:08pm On Aug 22, 2017
oduamine:

The Mum and his Uncle really tried but later told me there is little they can do about it. I don't know if he is married now yes he accepted the pregnancy when I even put his name on her birth certificate.
People that try to him he will stop talking to them

Na wa, I just can't wrap my head around it.

I think you should try baby12 suggestion.
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by Pemisola: 3:55pm On Mar 06, 2023
Will a mother face travel problems if the child bears her mother's surname?
Re: Please Who Has Gone Through This As An Unmarried Mother. by sisisioge: 5:11pm On Mar 06, 2023
Pemisola:
Will a mother face travel problems if the child bears her mother's surname?

No...the mother is one of the few with foresight.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get My Son Back ? / HUSBANDS ONLY: Do y'all experience this same thing? / Too Much Affection Is Blinding My Best Friend. Advise!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.