Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,815 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? (2612 Views)

Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated / Join Now!,size Doesnt Matter In Satanism / Does Religion Really Matter To God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by bustem(f): 4:20am On Feb 16, 2010
Does religion really matter in a relationship especially wen one of them is from a deep rooted religious background?
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by afiq(m): 4:53am On Feb 16, 2010
Depends
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by bustem(f): 5:08am On Feb 16, 2010
Depends on wat?
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by princekevo(m): 6:29am On Feb 16, 2010
It matters a lot my sister, more than you can think.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by jagunlabi(m): 7:46am On Feb 16, 2010
Religion can only be as important as the couple builds it up to be.But a relationship that is not built on true love is bound to fail, with or without religion.If the two people involved are not bound by love, then they have no relationship to begin with.Religion is just as extra spice in the relationship which may help solidify the relationship even more if the two are of the same faith.Remember that there are millions of love couples all over the world who are not even religious.So the only common denominator here is L.O.V.E for one another.Any other factor, like i said before, is just an extra spice.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by princekevo(m): 11:22am On Feb 16, 2010
jagunlabi:

Religion can only be as important as the couple builds it up to be.But a relationship that is not built on true love is bound to fail, with or without religion.If the two people involved are not bound by love, then they have no relationship to begin with.Religion is just as extra spice in the relationship which may help solidify the relationship even more if the two are of the same faith.[b]Remember that there are millions of love couples all over the world who are not even religious.[/b]So the only common denominator here is L.O.V.E for one another.Any other factor, like i said before, is just an extra spice.
You seems not understand her question. There are many couples who are not religions, becoz there is that single thing common with them, which is both being unreligious. The poster is asking question based on the fact that she is religious(if am right poster), so does it matter when choosing a partner. Love is all abt mutual understanding and communications. You cant get in any serious relationship with a man or woman with an opposite views and expect miracle to happen in the relationship as for working things out. So love can never grow in an environment where both people involved shares different views toward things. There would always be a conflict in every decision making, no miracle abet that. If a religious man or woman marries an Atheist, c'mon you don't need a soothsayer to tell you what the outcome of the relationship will be, no matter how inlove they claimed to be.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by jagunlabi(m): 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2010
Oh, i did understand her question, but you don't seem to understand my response.
princekevo:

You seems not understand her question.

Well, i'll agree with you there because pure and untainted love is devoid of any religious affiliations.
princekevo:

There are many couples who are not religions, becoz there is that single thing common with them, which is both being unreligious.

I know, but what i am saying is that, in any intimate relationship, love comes first or you have no relationship at all, whether you are religious or not.
So if you want to choose a partner with no love involved, then you have no partner.You can both be as religiously synced up as you wish, that relationship is doomed to failure either on the short run or on the longer run.
princekevo:

Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by jagunlabi(m): 1:17pm On Feb 16, 2010
No, love goes way beyond just mutual understanding and communication, although the two are part of the game.To love is to accept the object of your love totally for what he/she is, and who he/she is unconditionally. 
princekevo:

Love is all abt mutual understanding and communications.

There is no relationship in which there is no form of discord, unless the two involved are robots or cyborgs running on the same program.Besides, wy expect miracles in anything?
If true love is the focal point of any relationship and nothing else, it will always work.That is my own opinion.
princekevo:

You cant get in any serious relationship with a man or woman with an opposite views and expect miracle to happen in the relationship as for working things out.

If religious views are that important in a relationship, how come then that there are so many divorce cases amongst christian couples?Statistics are not on your side on this one.
princekevo:

So love can never grow in an environment where both people involved shares different views toward things. There would always be a conflict in every decision making, no miracle abet that. If a religious man or woman marries an Atheist, c'mon you don't need a soothsayer to tell you what the outcome of the relationship will be, no matter how inlove they claimed to be.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by GODSON2009(m): 1:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
@poster
religion DOES matter,especially if the man is a moslem because a real moslem will never allow the wife and children to practise another religion,also while a chriastian can tolerate it he would wish that the wife was a christian like he is which might bring conflicts
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by Nezan(m): 2:24pm On Feb 16, 2010
To me, it matters . . . if I were still single, I wouldnt fall in love with a muslim until she recants!
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by manmustwac(m): 4:26pm On Feb 16, 2010
Nezan:

To me, it matters . . . if I were still single, I wouldnt fall in love with a muslim until she recants!
what about agnostic or athiest
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by Nezan(m): 5:11pm On Feb 16, 2010
manmustwac:

what about agnostic or athiest

Same thing goes.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by princekevo(m): 6:23pm On Feb 16, 2010
No, love goes way beyond just mutual understanding and communication, although the two are part of the game.To love is to accept the object of your love totally for what he/she is, and who he/she is unconditionally. 

Exactly why many relationships failed today. They misunderstood that concept, unconditional love, they ended up getting together in an unconditional lust, instead of love. B4 they found out their mistakes, it becomes to late. I hope you are not one of those believe in those old concept of love is blind.There is nothing unconditional with someone whom we share opposite views on 90% or major view.

If religious views are that important in a relationship, how come then that there are so many divorce cases amongst christian couples?Statistics are not on your side on this one.
Sorry sir, point of correction, divorce cases among christian are not high, but you can tell me that divorce cases among church goers are high. Christianity in the first place does supported divorce for only the sake of adultry. The true christians work their marriage out and not seeking for divorce like an ordinary church goer. Unless for the case of adultry.

No matter how you see it man, it is always wise to be in a relationship with someone you both share the same view.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by sandee575(f): 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2010
Religion does matter. This love thing has been overused. Religious disparity
in a couple where one is a devoted christian and the other is not so much
into the bible brings incompatibility to the relationship. Wife will never miss
church but husband needs extra sleep on Sunday morning because he had
downed much beer the night before. Resentment sets in when she has to
attend church alone and he wakes up wishing the party could continue in
bed for him that morning.The consequences are endless. Better avoided o.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by manmustwac(m): 9:57pm On Feb 16, 2010
all u guys who say religion matters in a relationship are only thinking from a religious point of view. As for me an athiest i can marry a christian just that we'll have to respect each others beliefs. Religion is not what defines a relationship.
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by chinchila: 1:56pm On Feb 17, 2010
see,all of u poeple are jst givin unneccessary xcusis,wen ur getn married.wat really matters, tink abt it is it d religion,or d apiness of dat individual.,wat is d assurance dat wen u marry a man 4rm d same religion 4rm urs u ll get apiness.cum wat will b will b.forget abt religion.if ur apiness is wit a muslim,budahist,pegant.pls stay wit ur apiness.cos marriage witout apiness is all messd up.4get religion.and to dos folks who goes telling dr children nt to marry any man 4rm anoda religion xcpt drs,are jst messn wit dr childrens lyf.tell me is dr any background,witout a muslim or a christain in dr family background either present or past .tink abt it,am a counsellor,and i knw wat am sayn cos av had clients wit d same p.babe if ur apiness is wit dis person dis whole tin is abt ,stay wit ur apiness,dats all its all abt.take my opinion,love him bak.bimbo
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by mabell: 9:48am On Feb 18, 2010
jagunlabi:

Religion can only be as important as the couple builds it up to be.But a relationship that is not built on true love is bound to fail, with or without religion.
hmmm, what is this this true love?
jagunlabi:

I know, but what i am saying is that, in any intimate relationship, love comes first or you have no relationship at all, whether you are religious or not.
So if you want to choose a partner with no love involved, then you have no partner.You can both be as religiously synced up as you wish, that relationship is doomed to failure either on the short run or on the longer run.

even if the person is into satanism? shocked
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by estrella(f): 10:42am On Feb 18, 2010

@Jagunlabi, Love is important in every relationship, agreed, but when it comes to religion,leave love out of it~the Bible says that darkness and light cannot fellowship together.Two people in a relationship with conflicting views and opinions may be able to rough it out for a while because they feel they are in love but when it comes down to the bare truth,it will cause a rift between the pair.Love can only thrive in an environment where there is agreement between the tow parties.for the two of them to overcome any obstacle,spiritual or otherwise,they need to be harmonious in their religious views or else,
Re: Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? by nuella2(f): 11:27am On Feb 18, 2010
God comes first before self, therefore any relationship that will  hinder me from serving God is cancelled. For me and my house we will serve the lord. We dont live by feelings but by faith in God, my life in not my own so HE decided by his word. Light and darkness, how na? Never!!!

(1) (Reply)

Conflicting Verses In The Holy Bible / Islamic Terrorism In Bible’s Prophecy / Enemies Of Mankind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.