Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job (10062 Views)

10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss / Signs You’re Too Close To Your Boss / How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by insidifyguru: 10:41am On Aug 15, 2017
Nobody wants to be a yes-man (or woman), but that doesn’t make it any easier to say no to your boss. Whether you’re being asked to increase your workload, take on a task that you believe is a bad idea, or work on a weekend, how do you tactfully decline?

“People have a hard time saying ‘no’- period - and when you introduce power, it gets exponentially worse,”

- Joseph Grenny.

Yet, good bosses appreciate employees who have the confidence to say no. if you ask around, most say they’re willing to listen to sound reasoning to find a solution. In essence, it’s all about how you frame and phrase it.

Instead of declining the request and walking away, here are seven tips for delivering an effective, non-opposing “no”:

1. Avoid a power struggle

Begin by acknowledging that the decision is ultimately your boss’s. Clarify that by saying, ‘I have strong opinions on what is the right answer but I understand this is your call,’” he says. “Otherwise the subject can become a power struggle.”

It’s not who is right, it’s what is right.

Sometimes a “no” is a battle not a war, and you need to know the difference. Ask yourself what the worst outcome may be from saying ‘no’ and write this down. Decide which appears to have the biggest impact on your current workload and future with the company.

2. Acknowledge that you ultimately have the same goals.

Members of the military say to salute the flag before you disagree with a senior officer, says Grenny. The same is true in business. Keep in mind that your ultimate goal is the same: to further the company.

“Your mutual higher purpose is to serve, and your job is to accomplish goals,” he says. “It’s not who is right, it’s what is right.”

3. Empathize

People are more open to having someone disagree with them if they feel deeply understood.

Listen to your boss’s arguments and concerns before voicing your own, and he’ll feel much less defensive if he feels heard. If you aren’t willing to change your opinion, don’t expect your boss to change his.

However, you can say, ‘I understand your perspective, and here’s another way to think about the situation’. If you have sound reasoning and honored their idea, your boss will be more open to listening.

4. Explain the consequences of the request

People often believe if their boss trusted them, they’d be willing to take a chance and follow their suggestion, but you shouldn’t make a disagreement personal when it doesn’t need to be, says Grenny.

Instead, draw power from the facts. After you’ve acknowledged the importance of the request, share how the new task might impact other projects. For example, it might take away needed resources or burden your workload. Then ask for a solution.

For example, is there something your boss could take off your plate to allow you the time to take on this project?

5. Share your facts.

Too often we get into a debate about conclusions. “If you want to say ‘no,’ and your boss wants you to say ‘yes,’ each of you has information that differs. Start by exposing where your facts are thin.

Acknowledge what you know to be true and tell your boss how it caused your conclusion. Ask how your boss came to his conclusion. If you’re simply in a no-yes argument, you’re arguing conclusions not facts.

Overall, your boss is your boss and you the employee, meanwhile, as you’ve just learnt, you can always convey your disagreements whenever you have one. Just ensure you’re doing it properly using the guidelines above.

lalasticlala
mynd44

https://discovery.insidify.com/how-to-disagree-with-your-boss-and-still-keep-your-job

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by RIPEnglish: 8:13am On Aug 16, 2017
when sex are involved, there are no how you can disagreement with him.

2 Likes

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by NwaAmaikpe: 8:13am On Aug 16, 2017
shocked

THE EMPLOYEE'S GOLDEN RULE

Never disgrace your boss unless you have another job

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Kakamorufu(m): 8:15am On Aug 16, 2017
I wanna do it. Buh my liver dey fail me ooo.

I know my boss, even if he gains at the end of the arguement, u still gonna get the sack. �

1 Like

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Badgers14: 8:15am On Aug 16, 2017
Question: How do I diasgree with my boss and still keep my job in Nigeria.

Answer: by looking for a different job grin grin

9ja bosses don't play with their power...if you disagree with them, they feel you are rubbing shoulders with them. How dare you? You know who i be?

6 Likes

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by MilesLamar(m): 8:15am On Aug 16, 2017
Not for Nigeria
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Oasishosting: 8:15am On Aug 16, 2017
Only one formula works best.
Be submissive to your team leader

My signature, our business
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by kingrt2(m): 8:16am On Aug 16, 2017
Please has anyone else been getting this message whenever they are about posting a topic? Like try again in a few mins our browser is overwhelmed. I have been seeing that since yesterday and its still not going away, can anyone tell me why or provide solution.

1 Like

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Titto93(m): 8:16am On Aug 16, 2017
k
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:17am On Aug 16, 2017
Insinuations work best .
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by SkenolProp(m): 8:17am On Aug 16, 2017
Odikwa risky mehn!In nigeria,you are paid to work not to argue with your boss grin grin grin
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by vislabraye(m): 8:18am On Aug 16, 2017
yeah.. as long as you have a reasonable boss
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 16, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

THE EMPLOYEE'S GOLDEN RULE

Never disgrace your boss unless you have another job
GBAM!!
Especially Nigerian Bosses,if you disgrace dem peren,E don BE for you be that grin

Listen to my new song dedicated to all Nigerian rappers at

https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/233002/

Listen to my dope rap freestyle at
https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/24670/
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by MidasTouche01(m): 8:22am On Aug 16, 2017
With the comments above, it's little wonder the political class is riding Nigeria like a horse....
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by emorse(m): 8:23am On Aug 16, 2017
Obey the OP but don't forget to dust up your CV... just in case.
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Stanley777(m): 8:23am On Aug 16, 2017
[quote author=insidifyguru post=59491975]Nobody wants to be a yes-man (or woman), but that doesn’t make it any easier to say no to your boss. Whether you’re being asked to increase your workload, take on a task that you believe is a bad idea, or work on a weekend, how do you tactfully decline?

“People have a hard time saying ‘no’- period - and when you introduce power, it gets exponentially worse,”

- Joseph Grenny.

Yet, good bosses appreciate employees who have the confidence to say no. if you ask around, most say they’re willing to listen to sound reasoning to find a solution. In essence, it’s all about how you frame and phrase it.

Instead of declining the request and walking away, here are seven tips for delivering an effective, non-opposing “no”:

Begin by acknowledging that the decision is ultimately your boss’s. Clarify that by saying, ‘I have strong opinions on what is the right answer but I understand this is your call,’” he says. “Otherwise the subject can become a power struggle.”

Sometimes a “no” is a battle not a war, and you need to know the difference. Ask yourself what the worst outcome may be from saying ‘no’ and write this down. Decide which appears to have the biggest impact on your current workload and future with the company.

Members of the military say to salute the flag before you disagree with a senior officer, says Grenny. The same is true in business. Keep in mind that your ultimate goal is the same: to further the company.

“Your mutual higher purpose is to serve, and your job is to accomplish goals,” he says. “It’s not who is right, it’s what is right.”

3. Empathize

People are more open to having someone disagree with them if they feel deeply understood.

Listen to your boss’s arguments and concerns before voicing your own, and he’ll feel much less defensive if he feels heard. If you aren’t willing to change your opinion, don’t expect your boss to change his.

However, you can say, ‘I understand your perspective, and here’s another way to think about the situation’. If you have sound reasoning and honored their idea, your boss will be more open to listening.

People often believe if their boss trusted them, they’d be willing to take a chance and follow their suggestion, but you shouldn’t make a disagreement personal when it doesn’t need to be, says Grenny.

Instead, draw power from the facts. After you’ve acknowledged the importance of the request, share how the new task might impact other projects. For example, it might take away needed resources or burden your workload. Then ask for a solution.

For example, is there something your boss could take off your plate to allow you the time to take on this project?

5. Share your facts.

Too often we get into a debate about conclusions. “If you want to say ‘no,’ and your boss wants you to say ‘yes,’ each of you has information that differs. Start by exposing where your facts are thin.

Acknowledge what you know to be true and tell your boss how it caused your conclusion. Ask how your boss came to his conclusion. If you’re simply in a no-yes argument, you’re arguing conclusions not facts.

Overall, your boss is your boss and you the employee, meanwhile, as you’ve just learnt, you can always convey your disagreements whenever you have one. Just ensure you’re doing it properly using the guidelines above.

lalasticlala
mynd44

https://discovery.insidify.com/how-to-disagree-with-your-boss-and-still-keep-your-job

please I need a voters card to verify my fb account its very important and urgent please.if u care enough pls take a photo of it and send it to dughallDrummond@yahoo.com abeg lahowowo
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Dollabiz: 8:30am On Aug 16, 2017
At your own risk
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by haconjy(m): 8:39am On Aug 16, 2017
nice logistics
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by 9japrof(m): 8:49am On Aug 16, 2017
Salient points but still remember there are bosses who break all conventional rules. Those kind of boss na to dey fire em fire for fire.

Had such useless kind of boss sometime last year, na people like us that were respectful and loyal na e dey fire us up and down. The kind of rude ones who lashes out to him at any provocation na e dey fear...

1 Like

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Livefreeordieha(m): 9:02am On Aug 16, 2017
insidifyguru:
Nobody wants to be a yes-man (or woman), but that doesn’t make it any easier to say no to your boss. Whether you’re being asked to increase your workload, take on a task that you believe is a bad idea, or work on a weekend, how do you tactfully decline?

- Joseph Grenny.

3. Empathize

5. Share your facts.

lalasticlala
mynd44

Kindly share this post if you found it useful
purє líєѕ.. uѕє juju hσld αm.. íf u вє guч σr kíll αm.. íf u вє ѕhαwtíє вαng αm hαrd σr σrgαnízє ѕtєαdч σlσѕhσ fσr αm
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by snnaija(f): 9:05am On Aug 16, 2017
kingrt2:
Please has anyone else been getting this message whenever they are about posting a topic? Like try again in a few mins our browser is overwhelmed. I have been seeing that since yesterday and its still not going away, can anyone tell me why or provide solution.
you're a spam boot!!!! hahaha
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by ademi87(m): 9:12am On Aug 16, 2017
RIPEnglish:
when sex are involved, there are no how you can disagreement with him.
English is not ur friend.....
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by yitole: 9:23am On Aug 16, 2017
RCCG BRINGS FREE TRAINING ON ICT COURCES
One of the greatest men who ever lived, Nelson Mandela once said that, “Education is the great engine of personal development. It is through education that the daughter of a peasant can become a doctor, that the son of a mineworker can become the head of the mine, that a child of farm workers can become the president of a great nation. It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.

We bring the FREE Career Changing-Platform of to YOU!

1 day of Career Changer
1 Ambient Center in Lagos –RCCG HQs, Gowon Estate, Lagos
15+ Professional Facilitators
9 Premium ICT Courses
1 Career-defining Program Platform
And it’s absolutely FREE!!!!!!!!!!

DATE: Saturday, 26TH of AUG, 2017

TIME: 10am Prompt!

The program is packaged and customized in scope and content to suit the needs of beginners to intermediate ICT professionals to become expert professionals

REGISTRATION IS FREE!!!

Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Segibambo(m): 9:28am On Aug 16, 2017
We’ll be diving head first to creating our first video. In the first part, we looked at a detailed description of the user interface of our choice software, VideoScribe. The basic elements of a whiteboard video being a script/storyboard, voice over and post production process.

Writing your first Script and Story Board

Script

We’ll be making a short script and storyboard for a hypothetical company called Blue-Hyphen, a security solution company that prevents cyber attacks and other related security issues....

Read more... https://www.nairaland.com/3991553/learn-how-create-whiteboard-video
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by FemiJnJ(m): 11:51am On Aug 16, 2017

JnJRecruting

Job placement for fresh graduate
Experience: Little or no
Honours: Minimum of Second Class
Salary: #20,000 - #40,000

Please submit your CV to jnjrecruits@hotmail.com
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Psoul(m): 3:13pm On Aug 16, 2017
kingrt2:

You have been banned. So just buy popcorn, sachet water and get a mat. Lie down and wait when the Mod will remove the ban on ur account.

May be u exchanged harsh words wt a member and he/she reported ur account and u got banned. Be patient and serve ur term.
Re: How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job by Psoul(m): 3:23pm On Aug 16, 2017
OP, I agree wt u, but the most important thing is to prove to ur boss that u are kw what u are doing. Become valuable to the organization. Show high level of IQ, show him that u are loyal and at the same time cannot be pocketed and your boss will listen to u wen u talk even wen ur opinion runs parallel to his.

I am talking out of experience. I have severally fall out wt my boss and at the end of the day, if we follow his instruction, we will have to come back to square 1. Wen we fall out in opinion, we normally don't take much to reconcile. Most times there annoyance is that they feel scared of bn out-shinned.

Don't show too much desperation to work in the firm as if ur life will end if u got sacked. Be dedicated but not desperate.

(1) (Reply)

Advise Me: What Is The Best Course A Female Philosophy Graduate Do At Masters? / How To Start Soft Drinks And Juice Distributorship In Nigeria / Who Wants To Be A Bus Conductor For Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.