Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor (14149 Views)

Where I Like Most In Atiku/obi Stance On Corruption / APC Speaks On Members’ Condemnation Of Nomination Fees / Arewa Group Insists Igbos Must Leave Northern Nigeria, Despite Condemnation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by AzeezAbubakar1: 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2017
Sunymoore:

Stop impersonating people.. Use your name as moniker
my name is mallam Abubakar Azeez Usman
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by jacyhelen(f): 6:22pm On Aug 15, 2017
AlexReports:
Recently, reports emerged regarding the former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi\'s opposition to a female governor in Anambra State. Mr Obi and another political figure, Humpfrey Nwosu had been quoted as being against the idea. This revelation of Mr Obi and co\'s stance, undoubtedly deserves the outright condemnation of all right-thinking indigenes of Anambra State, and in fact, Nigeria. 

It is noteworthy that since the creation of Anambra, the state\'s affairs have been run 99% of the time by men, and till date, there\'s no laudable development to show for it, as the principal actors have spent most of the time immersed in lingering political squabbles. Even the short period spent by Mrs Etiaba as governor following the impeachment of Peter Obi cannot be properly regarded as a period of female governorship, as she was removed before her leadership could be tested. 

Thus, it follows that we cannot continue to do things the same way and expect a different result. Anambra State is the state with the highest potential in Nigeria, especially in terms of human resources, and as such ought to be on the forefront of meaningful development in the country. But the negation has been the case. This unfortunate, and indeed ironic, reality must be reversed now or we all live to regret at, as our children would inherit a messed up and backward state. 

And one of the feasible ways to reverse this negative trend is to try what has never been done before -- give a woman the mantle of leadership of the state through the ballot. But, it\'s exactly this notion that Mr Peter Obi and Humpfrey Nwosu have been quoted as being vehemently opposed to. And this makes one ask the question: what exactly are they afraid of? Could Mr. Obi\'s oppositional stance on having a female governor be informed by his grievances towards his former deputy, Mrs Etiaba, for accepting the governorship portfolio, following his impeachment? If so, the political class must understand that Anambra State is far bigger than any one man\'s grievances. He must be reminded that the world is rapidly changing and just like on the home front, women are stepping in, all over the world, to clean up the mess left by men. And Anambra should not be an exception. 

And what\'s more, Anambra State has been abundantly blessed with women who have proven to be quite effective and formidable in whatever position they\'re placed in, whether by way of appointment or through the ballots. Notable women like Stella Odua, Uche Ekwunife and Hon. Linda Ikpeazu deserve a chance to prove their mettle on the state\'s highest office. 

One will not forget in a hurry some of these women\'s exemplary leadership in recent years in public offices they\'ve handled, despite some politicised controversies. For instance, not too long ago, Mrs Uche Ekwunife, as the chairman of the Senate Committee on Petroleum, shook that industry, and was clearly on her way to effecting major positive changes before her unfortunate judicial removal from office. 

Stella Oduah, on the other hand, despite the propaganda and politicised controversies that have trailed her, has left no one in doubt as to her ability to perform excellently when thrusted with a public office. It is on record that she remains, so far, the highest ever performing Minister of Aviation in the history of Nigeria, as she transformed the nation's aviation sector within the short period of time she spent in office, turning around the fortunes of many airports, and by extension states and regions, like the Enugu airport which she transformed rapidly to an international status. 

‎Also highlighting their strength, Hon. Linda Ikpeazu Is the ‎current serving member of the house, that has been performing well and actively representing her constituency and the nation in general

Today, Stella Odua remains a voice to reckon with at the Nigerian Senate. Women like Stella Odua reminds one of the Hillary Clinton\'s, Angela Merkel's, and Theresa May's of this world.

It is, therefore, utterly distasteful that someone like Peter Obi, who has been advocating for change in the style of governance across the nation would now turn around to appoint himself a stumbling block to a long-needed paradigm shift in his own home state.

All reasonable indigenes of Anambra State must play their own role to ensure we get it right this time, come November 18th. And to ensure we don't keep doing things the same way while expecting a different result, we must encourage our women to come forward for a chance to steer the ship of the state. And if the candidacy of people like Stella Oduah, Uche Ekwunife and Hon. Linda Ikpeazu scare the hell out of political class ...well, they must be reminded that Anambra State is not their private business, nor was it created to massage their male ego.‎

http://www.alexreports.info/2017/08/anambra-election-condemnation-of-peter_15.html?m=0

#NO-Election pls.
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by nengibo: 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2017
AzeezAbubakar1:
i prefer stellar odua to ekwunife any time

but to be honest
African women don't deserve power at all

their arrogance impunity wickedness etc when given a small power is second to none

there's one program on sapientia fm radio onitsha which titles
will you choose a female boss over a male boss
i was shocked that 98% of female callers choose male boss while 95% male callers choose male boss

98% reason is arrogance wickedness harshness and bullying (slapping subordinate)
The same corrupt stella oduah
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by christopherozo: 6:50pm On Aug 15, 2017
waternogetenemy:

Bianca Ojukwu should be Deputy Gov to Soludo.

After Obiano, Anambra State Gov should certainly go to Soludo, otherwise we would have missed out completely on his great vision and programmes.

He should run with Bianca Ojukwu as his vice, they will win. Anambra is preparing for a woman Gov, but first a Deputy Gov. Thereafter, She takes over as Gov.

Stella is already a Senator but u cannot rule her out completely. She is still a contender.

As far as am concerned Bianca Ojukwu is ideal in the event that Anambra settles for a female governor. Not only is she highly intelligent, she is frank and fearless and has the right pedigree. Apart from being the daughter of a governor of Old Anambra State, not to mention being the wife of the late General Ojukwu who was governor of the eastern region, she proved her worth and efficiency when she served as ambassador in Spain. She really helped many Nigerians there. What we need is a leader with integrity and conscience be it a man or a woman, and somebody who has some humility. I will go with Bianca as Soludo's deputy, and after, she can run as a candidate. I believe she will do well for Anambra State.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by babasolution: 7:16pm On Aug 15, 2017
christopherozo:

As far as am concerned Bianca Ojukwu is ideal in the event that Anambra settles for a female governor. Not only is she highly intelligent, she is frank and fearless and has the right pedigree. Apart from being the daughter of a governor of Old Anambra State, not to mention being the wife of the late General Ojukwu who was governor of the eastern region, she proved her worth and efficiency when she served as ambassador in Spain. She really helped many Nigerians there. What we need is a leader with integrity and conscience be it a man or a woman, and somebody who has some humility. I will go with Bianca as Soludo's deputy, and after, she can run as a candidate. I believe she will do well for Anambra State.

really african men have failed,even as much as i hate to admit it ,i think african men are weak,african women tend to be braver and more intelligent,african men reason like children,i just hope new generation of men change,if nt the women will take over and rule us

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by Klinee: 7:58pm On Aug 15, 2017
@op, The women you mentioned above does not deserve the governorship position reason being that they have been in the helm of affair since inception. So I don't think they have what it takes be governor, what are their achieve so far? They should stop using this comment " that males have been ruling so far " because they too were parts of them.
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 15, 2017
Thanks.
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by Regis001: 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
cstr1000:
Dora should have been the first female governror.
Bianca Ojukwu and stella Oduah are decent candidates, though stella oduah has an edge for me due to her experience in developmental politics .

Is a pity about the corruption scandal involving Stella Oduah as minister of Aviation otherwise she would have been ok. Ekwunife has a tainted reputation going as far back as the mbadinuju era. Bianca Ojukwu is synonymous with ojukwu's legacy and APGA being ojukwu's party means that she has no choice but to deliver good governance. No buts about it. She is also revered in within the pro Biafra movements and can identify with the agitations of the youths. The best thing about her is that she is down to earth and identify with the grassroots more than the elite.

As for peter Obi that they are claiming that he is against women, is he the INEC? Is he the one that will be going to the polls to vote? Is good to place blame where it is due. Besides women are their worst enemy in this respect. They are the ones who will be shouting up and down about how can a woman be controlling men. People can identify a good leader when they see one. Somebody who is selfless and interested in the good of the people.

Peter Obi tried for Anambra, and Obiano is carrying on well from where he stopped. Anambra people need good leaders not minding their gender, but I don't think governorship is a position to be dashed out just to fulfill gender sensitivity.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by waternogetenemy: 8:56pm On Aug 15, 2017
christopherozo:

culdnt have put it better.
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by waternogetenemy: 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2017
Regis001:

Is a pity about the corruption scandal involving Stella Oduah as minister of Aviation otherwise she would have been ok. Ekwunife has a tainted reputation going as far back as the mbadinuju era. Bianca Ojukwu is synonymous with ojukwu's legacy and APGA being ojukwu's party means that she has no choice but to deliver good governance. No buts about it. She is also revered in within the pro Biafra movements and can identify with the agitations of the youths. The best thing about her is that she is down to earth and identify with the grassroots more than the elite.

As for peter Obi that they are claiming that he is against women, is he the INEC? Is he the one that will be going to the polls to vote? Is good to place blame where it is due. Besides women are their worst enemy in this respect. They are the ones who will be shouting up and down about how can a woman be controlling men. People can identify a good leader when they see one. Somebody who is selfless and interested in the good of the people.

Peter Obi tried for Anambra, and Obiano is carrying on well from where he stopped. Anambra people need good leaders not minding their gender, but I don't think governorship is a position to be dashed out just to fulfill gender sensitivity.

Do u reason at all? if we voted Stella Oduah into Senate, we will do again.
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by mandandit: 10:50pm On Aug 15, 2017
MichaelGood17:
I doubt the intelligent and highly competent Gov Obiano made such a comment. However, I agree with the comment totally. If Nigerians want to see the mother of all corruption and confusion, just allow a woman to enter any executive office. Nigerian women and African women are not matured to handle high political offices. They just want the perks of the office. They epitomise corruption. During our time, we go even ban them from entering any government office. Na the other room African /Nigerian women belong. Any body when no happy, come beat me.

Correction: Obiano did not make the comment, Peter Obi did.
Secondly, I agree with you partially. Women like Diezani and Stella Oduah have given women a bad name with their corruption scandals.
Ngozi Okonjo iweala and Oby Ezekwesili as well as the late Dora Akinyili have shown that women can do well if given a chance
If I am to choose I will go for Bianca in the absence of okonjo iweala and Ezekwesili because of her link with our country Biafra.
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by olowobaba10: 11:14am On Aug 16, 2017
YES AND WELL SAID, NOT YET TIME FOR A FEMALE GOVERNOR IN ANAMBRA STATE, THEY SHOULD TAKE THEIR PLACE IN THE KITCHEN AND ZE OZAR ROOM TILL FURTHER NOTICE, PERIOD .

Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by Sunymoore(m): 11:49am On Aug 16, 2017
AzeezAbubakar1:
my name is mallam Abubakar Azeez Usman
Heh.. May God make you and all of your lineage Mallams. Ameen ya Allah
Re: Anambra Election: A Condemnation Of Peter Obi's Stance On Female Governor by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 16, 2018
Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano IPMAN Directs Members To Sell Fuel At ₦150 Per Litre / Niger Republic Opens New Refinery - Very Close To Nigeria’s Border / IPMAN Begs NNPC For Petrol At Port Harcourt Depots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.