Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

My Experience As A Produce Marketer - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Experience As A Produce Marketer (3033 Views)

UK Rejects Consignment Of Agric Produce From Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer / My Experience About Snail Farming, Pictures, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 02, 2017
edoman2016:

Please, how much does a small scale rice milling factory will cost to set up?
Rice mill could be from below 1m to above 30m depending on capacity and size.

A medium modern rice mill should be in excess of 5m

Another tip
If you have a small business idea about starting your own package rice business and you dont have those funds, you can work to a rice mill and express your desire to become a distributor. The rice will be packaged in your own customize sacks.

This is common from Zamfara rice millers.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 5:35pm On Oct 02, 2017
xprimate:
thanks alot op for sharing. Am currently in similar environment:I am currently serving in one of the remote village in plateau state. Over here the major farm produce is salad vegitables like garbage, carrot, cucumber, green beans etc and also potato. During my two weeks initial break, i did market survay about these farm produce in 3 major market in lagos. It was clear that the market was developed with a lot of big trailers arriving everyday bringing carrot, carbage, cucumber potatoes etc from plateau and the north. On further enquiry from the malams, they said that the price is very volatile that prices can jump from 5k to 8k and vice verser in a just a day. They said that if i intend sending it from plateau, that i have to get someone who will be selling it for me since i dont intend saying in the market. I conclded that it is better to sale to retailers and small wholesalers since since the open market in lagos for these produced is congested. I dont have any retailers contact for now and am not going to Lagos any time soon. So please I will like suggestion on how to take advantage of this opportunity because plateau state has a comparative advanage in farming salad vegitable and potatoes especially irish potatoes in Nigeria.
You don't need to fear the competition in the market, you can start on a small scale to test the market. Prices are very volatile cos they are perishable goods-owners are forced to reduce prices for fear of spoilage. I know yams are being sold with the help of middlemen called de lali, don't know if that applies to those produce as well. Anyway, get to the market and conduct more research. If not, you can buy from farmers in your location and sell to wholesalers from urban centres. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by xprimate(m): 11:17am On Oct 03, 2017
Yhemit:

you can start with that one ..... no time to be waiting, get down to Lagos and look for customers.
Thanks, that would have been the best option if had the fund now to travel(Jos to Lagos and back is about 19k) Let me see what I can squeeze from my alawee.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Yhemit(m): 11:21am On Oct 03, 2017
xprimate:

Thanks, that would have been the best option if had the fund now to travel(Jos to Lagos and back is about 19k) Let me see what I can squeeze from my alawee.

you just try it out....my own target is to start something during nysc (slated the next batch) period.
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by xprimate(m): 11:37am On Oct 03, 2017
hoyze24:

You don't need to fear the competition in the market, you can start on a small scale to test the market. Prices are very volatile cos they are perishable goods-owners are forced to reduce prices for fear of spoilage. I know yams are being sold with the help of middlemen called de lali, don't know if that applies to those produce as well. Anyway, get to the market and conduct more research. If not, you can buy from farmers in your location and sell to wholesalers from urban centres. Good luck.
Thanks for your advice. Buying from the villages and selling to Urban centers is what I will try.
Conducting another market research in Lagos is not feasible for now(finance). But I am considering aggregate supply(sourcing demands from many retailers and supplying them at once).

P.S We Corp members in my Local government want contribute and buy like one bag of garri and share in order to save money. Do you know of any reliable farmer/supplier of garri that can send to Jos from Benue.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 9:37pm On Oct 03, 2017
xprimate:

Thanks for your advice. Buying from the villages and selling to Urban centers is what I will try.
Conducting another market research in Lagos is not feasible for now(finance). But I am considering aggregate supply(sourcing demands from many retailers and supplying them at once).

P.S We Corp members in my Local government want contribute and buy like one bag of garri and share in order to save money. Do you know of any reliable farmer/supplier of garri that can send to Jos from Benue.
Thanks.
Sending one bag of gari to Jos isn't economical. The price difference in large markets there wouldn't be much.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by tectonotimes: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2017
hoyze24:
It was less than a year ago, as a young graduate who had just finished NYSC, I told my folks I wanted to go into farming. The reactions were terrible especially that of my mum, she looked so disappointed. I knew deep down she felt so ashamed of me and all her thoughts would be how can you decide to go into farming with your second class upper honors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering? They all knew I was an intelligent kid; I literally beat over 200 applicants to get placement as an intern in a leading telco in 2014. Even before NYSC, I had a good job with a decent salary. It was obvious getting a job after service wasn’t going to be difficult as I had made enough connections in my past workplaces. However, telling them that wasn’t the big shocker, it was when I revealed my proposed location that made them shout I needed deliverance. They must have thought I’d been caught by some village people. It was a really difficult decision to make, I had only been in Benue state once, knew just someone and there was crisis in some parts of the state at the time. I was young and broke, all I had was the idea of changing the lives of some rural farmers and it kept resounding in my mind all through the dark period of the situation with my folks. My mum almost cried her eyes out. Watching me leave was a sad day for her, no amount of persuasion and emotional displays were enough to stop me. Deep down, I was so scared of what if it didn’t work out, what if something go wrong, could this be me? I struggled to hold back tears as it was obvious the wave I got from my dad was an indication of the thought that we might never meet again. Everyone was scared of what could happen, even I was more scared but there was no way I would rescind my decision. Getting to my proposed location wasn’t easy but I had made up my mind I was going to succeed no matter what happens. I had read over a hundred books, articles and publications on different value chains in agriculture and I couldn’t be totally wrong on deciding to leave my comfort zone. The first challenge I encountered was the language barrier; few people could communicate in pidgin and English. I still wasn’t deterred, rather I used that as a strength, I made them realize I was eager to learn their language as soon as possible and I needed each person to teach me something every time we meet. Fast forward to harvest time, I went into marketing of yam with literally no income, only thing I had was the farmers’ loyalty and trust. I took yams from them and transported it to the south east and south where I sold at reasonable prices. I started making profit in no time and the farmers were happy because they got more than they would have with previous marketers. After two months, I introduced some of my friends to the business and they invested little to test the waters and they were glad they did. In four months, I had made enough money to start my dream of setting up mechanized communal farms and providing extension services to the villagers. I was introduced to farmers in a neighboring village who wanted me to also market their produce but I couldn’t do that last year because the volume would be too much to handle. I’m preparing hard to include more villages this year however. Now, I’m a big yam marketer and I’m happy I took that hard decision. My mum is a happy mum now knowing that I’m okay and safe. The moral of telling my story is to let everyone know nothing is as easy as it sounds, there is probability of failure even after proper planning. I faced so many challenges I couldn’t mention here, at a point I wanted to go back home but I couldn’t bear the thoughts of leaving my new friends. They always see a happy person in me even when I’m scared deep down. So, rather than wait forever to start that which you had always liked, just do something especially when you have nothing to lose. I utilized the power of broke and thank God it worked. The season for harvest of almost every major crops has started gradually, there is another person who can become empowered again. Just to let you know, I’m in the process of registering a business name probably before the year runs out. Take that decision, the worst you’ll get is experience and not regret.
OP, congratulations!!! You can try export trade. Have you heard this? Many Nigerian exporters have been defrauded of huge amount of money in the process of exporting commodities to foreign countries. Do you know why? They were not trained on export operations, management, documentations and the best methods of payment in export trade. This is terrible!!! Nigerians cannot continue to lose money to foreigners in the course of export business. Exporters, why don’t you get a practical manual that teaches the stages of export trade from processing and packaging of commodities to receipt of payment by the foreign buyers. It teaches export operations, export management, export documentations and methods of payment in export trade? It is a contemporary step-by-step guide to export trade. It tells all the contemporary dynamics in export trade. To get it, click on the link below:
http://www.tectono-business.com/2016/02/contemporary-step-by-step-guide-to.html
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by xprimate(m): 6:09am On Oct 07, 2017
tectonotimes:

OP, congratulations!!! You can try export trade. Have you heard this? Many Nigerian exporters have been defrauded of huge amount of money in the process of exporting commodities to foreign countries. Do you know why? They were not trained on export operations, management, documentations and the best methods of payment in export trade..../
Oga why dont you do all these thing yourself and come and recieve congratulation here. Guys man pack well O

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 12:54pm On Oct 13, 2017
It's 79 days before 2017 runs out. What a year it's been with people having different experiences. Regardless of how the year has been, you can still make something out of the days left. Why not think agriculture at this point? Start small and scale with time. You can start preparing for irrigation farming or marketing of produce. Many produce that might get so expensive come march and April next year are currently cheap. Why not look beyond now and change your financial situation? He who's not ready to take risk doesn't deserve riches.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Uyi2017(m): 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

A 100kg paddy rice (unprocessed rice) of faro44 gives a 75kg refined rice using a modern rice mill. Are you arguing on that?

Please what is the current price of paddy rice in the market?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 10, 2017
Uyi2017:

Please what is the current price of paddy rice in the market?
9000 per 100kg
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by obstead200(m): 3:09am On Nov 12, 2017
hoyze24:

Sending one bag of gari to Jos isn't economical. The price difference in large markets there wouldn't be much.
bro, congrats. Keep up the hustle.
Do u ship ur yams to owerri?
I am deeply interested to know more about ur transport logistics.
Am looking to buy some materials from Benue for use in compounding animal feed. My major discouragement is transport logistics. Am looking for the cheapest and effective transport logistics. Can u give me some pointers?
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by Dokitadotun: 7:00am On Nov 12, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Rice farming is one of the most difficult to do. In Kogi especially Lokoja area, the rice must be timed to avoid disaster of birds consuming all the grains at harvest.
There are easier crops to cultivate.
If I must play in the rice industry, i will go for a rice mill where a 200kg rice paddy of 14,000 will produce a 150kg of refined rice (3 bags) which wholesales for 14,000*3=N42,000.
A return of at least 100% is guaranteed.
Hello Emmaachile, good morning, are you based in Lokoja? I will like to meet you. I work in Lokojaa federal establishment) and a farmer too. my cell no o8o37538100
Re: My Experience As A Produce Marketer by hoyze24: 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2017
There are over 1000 tubers of ogoja/ada onicha yams that will be brought into Lagos this weekend by me. They are all big sized tubers. Anyone interested in retailing can contact us. Many had complained of ordering for tubers and not getting anticipated sizes. This is a different approach, you see before buying. I bet you can't get a better price for similar variety anywhere. 08026875710

(1) (2) (Reply)

Over 350 Acres In Ijebu Igbo For Sell At Erin gboro Axis / Sahelian Goat For Sale (stud / Mating Service) / Updated Price List For Day Old Chicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.