Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space (7252 Views)

How To Become An MTN Momo Agent (mobile Money Agent) / AUTO-RENEWAL: Are The Mobile Networks Robbing Subscribers? / I Need A Quick Pos Machine For My Mobile Money Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by froz(m): 9:57am On Aug 18, 2017
For 13 years, MTN has bestridden the payment space like a colossus. MTN South Africa’s Mobile Money was officially switched on exactly 13 years ago today in a partnership arrangement with Standard Chartered Bank, South Africa.

According to available data, the platform currently processes 175 million transactions a month with a monthly value of about $4 billion. “It’s been a long road to being active in over 12 African countries. MTN Mobile Money has been changing lives, building Africa, serving customers and delivering transactional values. It has also been another stunning example of innovation in Africa”

When MTN deployed its Mobile Money banking service in South Africa with Standard Chartered Bank, the service was designed as a complementary service for customers who already have accounts, and as such, the service offers a wide range of services, including the option of a credit card.

The leading African telecom company in 2009, extended it the digital payment platform beyond its country of origin to six other markets by launching Mobile Money services in Ghana, Uganda, Rwanda, Cote d’Ivoire, Benin, and Yemen.

From this regional foray, the focus changed from added value to bank account holders to transformational services for the unbanked with a simpler service proposition based on money transfers and airtime purchases.

Recently MTN Group reported strong revenue increases in four of its mobile money markets in the opening quarter of 2017. The company’s first quarter earnings statement revealed rising revenues in Uganda, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Cameroon, but provided little detail on the actual amounts generated in those, or its other markets’, mobile money services reports financialtechnologyafrica.com

Cameroon was its fastest growing market in terms of mobile money with revenue up 390% during the quarter. In Uganda, revenue was up 34 per cent quarter-on-quarter and accounted for 22% of MTN’s total revenue in the country.

In Ghana, mobile money generated 13% of MTN’s overall earnings during the first quarter while finance and payment services in Ivory Coast accounted for 33% of total revenue.

Due to the lack of a breakdown of figures for MTN’s other markets or specific revenue information, it is difficult to assess its performance, as year-on-year comparisons were also not available.

The operator group provides mobile money services across 15 markets serving 22.2 million customers, according to the latest published figures on MTN’s website.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/mtn-13-years-in-the-mobile-money-space/

3 Likes

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by rodeo0070(m): 6:18am On Aug 19, 2017
Cool
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Ekakamba: 7:25am On Aug 19, 2017
You say a relationship heartbreak is the worst painful feeling ?? My friend, I guess your teacher never separated you from the person you had planned to copy answers from in an exam.* *

I Hate It When Somebody tell a girl
“You Don’t Look Like You Can Cook”

I Mean, is she Supposed To Braid her Hair With Vegetables And Decorate her Ears With Tomatoes And Onions Just to Have The “Cook Look

On my wedding day, the Pastor should better skip d part of ”Is there anyone here with a reason why this wedding shouldn’t hold………
I don’t trust my neighboring village people, anything can happen……

If you call your bestie and he starts speaking foreign English, know that his crush is passin

Sister in Christ… u claim to be saved But you only talk to men with cars
Are u baptized with petrol?

That disgusting moment when you are kissing your partner and you notice some rice particles
in his/her mouth�
And you asked
“Honey Did You Just Finished Eating??”
and your partner says
“No dear..I just finished vomiting”.
Fada laud, I’m ready now.
Take thee now.. ..

Most Ladies Don’t Answer Video Call After 9pm Because Their Faces Have Been Restored Back To Factory.

I met a girl and asked her “what’s your name?” and she told me “LA CASERA”
Please what should i tell her my name is??
Lacazette grin : tongue

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Daniyomex(m): 7:25am On Aug 19, 2017
Good for them
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by evy1(m): 7:27am On Aug 19, 2017
Mobile money is a good venture

1 Like

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Iamzik: 7:28am On Aug 19, 2017
@Fearlez

Yesterday you wanted to know if MTN operates mobile money in south Africa. Please read and digest. Every product has its unique target market.

Read and digest.

1 Like

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Astanbaya: 7:31am On Aug 19, 2017
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by stevnwigw: 7:34am On Aug 19, 2017
Does it work in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Fresia01(f): 7:44am On Aug 19, 2017
mtn, my first n only love in Telecom biz

2 Likes

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by crunchyg: 7:44am On Aug 19, 2017
13 years still waxing strong
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by kekakuz(m): 7:46am On Aug 19, 2017
stevnwigw:
Does it work in Nigeria?
that is the question
why is mobile money not working in Nigeria
the answer is simple
our banks are competent.
yes the banks are even playing in the mobile money space with excellent delivery system via the USSD channel.
also, mobile money is capital intensive and those who are willing to invest must be ready to spend without breaking even in a short time.

1 Like

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 19, 2017
What would I have done without mobile banking? Life will be horrible sad

I hardly carry cash around.. Thanks to technology.
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by emmanwandud(m): 7:56am On Aug 19, 2017
Most ppl are commenting out of ignorance. The ops thought is potraying relevance of mobile money in subsaharan African countries which has yielded intrest over time through mtn.

1 Like

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Alexbrain(m): 8:08am On Aug 19, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by aku626(m): 8:25am On Aug 19, 2017
Stable and expensive
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Boooooooooni: 8:40am On Aug 19, 2017
MTN has been consistent and reliable
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Larasisi(f): 8:56am On Aug 19, 2017
emmanwandud:
Most ppl are commenting out of ignorance. The ops thought is potraying relevance of mobile money in subsaharan African countries which has yielded intrest over time through mtn.
They are calling south Africa kenya and other African countries what of Nigeria?
Mobile money by mtn here is a scam many accredited agents were left stranded after committing personal fund into the venture.God punish Mtn in Nigeria
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Sagay212: 9:45am On Aug 19, 2017
I think MTN is still the best network in Nigeria and that's because they have sensible people managing their network, some south African, Nigerians and Chinese.

Airtel and Glo is bullshi.t because they are managed by Indians. They only thing Indians know is to manage with poor quality. They will never give you better service, only interested in making money.

2 Likes

Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by successincentiv(m): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2017
Good for you
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by nictech: 12:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
Moving ahead
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by isaac65: 1:59pm On Aug 19, 2017
I do not know why Nigeria is not using Mobile Money to empower millions by creating millions of jobs as it is done in other African Countries especially Kenya. The success of this ecosystem in Kenya especially ( Mpeza) , is a model for people worldwide.

However, in Nigeria, politics and due to the interest of Commercial banks, have prevented our CBN to effectively introduce Mobile Money thereby foreclosing the millions of jobs and income that could have been created especially for youths. The CBN while Sanusi was the Governor introduced Mobile Money in Nigeria but instead of it been led by the Mobile Network who are used to retail, with the millions of Agents selling Airtime, Nigeria insisted that our form of Mobile Money should be Bank Led. This killed Mobile Money from the start in Nigeria. Banks are used to big money business rather than a business like Mobile Money which will involve millions of people who may not already have access to financial services (unbanked) to have access to money transfer, micro finance and trading using just their Mobile Phone.

Until the Government allow our Mobile Network to run Mobile Money in Nigeria as it is done in most other African Countries, the massive opportunities in this sector to provide millions of employment may continue to elude us.
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by ehinmowo: 3:29pm On Aug 19, 2017
MTN explored the vacuum in the market and lead d pack forever

Join cawid.com
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Tipsie01(m): 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2017
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Christaks(m): 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2017
Fresia01:
mtn, my first n only love in Telecom biz

We lost today .....we didnt play very well..
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Fresia01(f): 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2017
Christaks:

We lost today .....we didnt play very well..
It was a very painful defeat
Re: MTN: 13 Years In The Mobile Money Space by Christaks(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2017
Fresia01:

It was a very painful defeat

Very painful...i must say..

(1) (Reply)

The Most Expensive Phone Number / Instagram For iOS Allows To Zoom Photos And Videos / How To Enable Split Screen Function On Your Android Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.