Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. (3124 Views)

Myanmar Pilot Successfully Lands Faulty Plane Without Front Wheels (Photos) / Why Do Some Nigerians Consider Traveling Abroad As An Achievement? / How Can I Go About U.s Visa And The Kind Of Visa Is Good For A Fresh Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by ApostleEbuka(m): 10:56am On Aug 19, 2017
Good morning guys,

Please i am a recent graduate (2014) working in a school as a teacher. I have managed to save up to 100,000 naira and i want to further my education in europe. i know the journey is still far but i want to know what i can do with this 100k to kickstart the process.

I am not experienced with the documentations and i have a bsc 2nd class lower. i dont have any passport or visa neither do i know how and where to get any of those. So, what are the steps to leaving this country? check out some of the steps below...

https://teachmonk..com.ng/2017/08/5-steps-to-successfully-study-abroad-as.html
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by onlyme07(m): 11:12am On Aug 19, 2017
ApostleEbuka:
Good morning guys,

Please i am a recent graduate (2014) working in a school as a teacher. I have managed to save up to 100,000 naira and i want to further my education in europe. i know the journey is still far but i want to know what i can do with this 100k to kickstart the process.

I am not experienced with the documentations and i have a bsc 2nd class lower. i dont have any passport or visa neither do i know how and where to get any of those. Please what are the steps to leaving this country?

please don't reply with strong words, i just want to learn.

Before you can travel,you need a passport. Man no man is the way Nigeria works so,try and link up with someone that knows an immigration officer in your state to get that done first then,you can decide on your next move.

If you're good in surfing the net, you can start doing research on cost,course and other stuffs. That will tell you if you can actually afford the cost and if you're lucky you can stumble on schools with scholarship.

The bottom line,don't be in haste to travel 'cos over there is not what you're painting in your mind or what you have heard. #myonecent

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by ApostleEbuka(m): 11:23am On Aug 19, 2017
onlyme07:

Before you can travel,you need a passport. Man no man is the way Nigeria works so,try and link up with someone that knows an immigration officer in your state to get that done first then,you can decide on your next move.

If you're good in surfing the net, you can start doing research on cost,course and other stuffs. That will tell you if you can actually afford the cost and if you're lucky you can stumble on schools with scholarship.

The bottom line,don't be in haste to travel 'cos over there is not what you're painting in your mind or what you have heard. #myonecent

please how does the whole thing work? i mean the whole passport thing. Is it my personal Nigeria passport (identification) or Canadian passport? (Canada is my dream)
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by onlyme07(m): 11:27am On Aug 19, 2017
ApostleEbuka:

please how does the whole thing work? i mean the whole passport thing. Is it my personal Nigeria passport (identification) or Canadian passport? (Canada is my dream)

Yes. It will be your own personal passport where your photograph will be embedded because you're a citizen of Nigeria. (Nigeria Passport). You can only have that of Canada or other countries if you're a citizen of that country or naturalize.

Nigeria Passport can only be done at any immigration office which is usually in state capitals. The pages varies likewise the price.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by ApostleEbuka(m): 11:43am On Aug 19, 2017
onlyme07:

Yes. It will be your own personal passport where your photograph will be embedded because you're a citizen of Nigeria. (Nigeria Passport). You can only have that of Canada or other countries if you're a citizen of that country or naturalize.

Nigeria Passport can only be done at any immigration office which is usually in state capitals. The pages varies likewise the price.

thank you Sir i am grateful. Please can you run down the steps for a successful DOCUMENTATION?

I now know:

number 1 is getting a passport from immigration office.

how about number 2 and the rest

God bless you
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by Cherez: 12:11pm On Aug 19, 2017
Weldone Guy,
You sound like someone who would need a scholarship and having limited fund you cannot employ the services of a consultant company.
So, I advice you:
1) Get your transcript and certificates in softcopy
2) Get a good phone that can browse and create/edit word and PDF docs.
3) Subscribe the internet with a good network and make online scholarship websites the air you breathe. NB: Don't waste your time on scholarships way ahead of you especially those for first Class graduates.
You should keep a diary of the scholarships you qualify for, requirements and deadlines and a timeline to compete each application before the deadline.
See this as a building project you need to start and roof before the rainy season starts.
4) Start downloading exam practise apps and study hard. for GRE and TOEFL/IELTS as these will help markup your 2-2 result.
5) Start preparing for 2018 scholarships TODAY.
BELIEVE IT, YOU CAN GET A SCHOLARSHIP EVEN AHEAD OF FIRST CLASS GRADUATE WHO IS NOT DILIGENT WITH THE STEPS ABOVE.
AND NEVER YOU DO A SHORTCUT (THIS WILL BE YOUR GREATEST UNDOING IF YOU DO). TAKE THE LONG WAAYS AND YOU WILL HIT YOUR MARK IN TIME.
GOD's GRACE all the way bro

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by onlyme07(m): 2:54pm On Aug 19, 2017
ApostleEbuka:

thank you Sir i am grateful. Please can you run down the steps for a successful DOCUMENTATION?

I now know:

number 1 is getting a passport from immigration office.

how about number 2 and the rest

God bless you

List the countries you have in mind.

Do a thorough search on the Universities. (www.scholarstuff.com) and others wil be of help

Apply to the do school. While doing that,make sure you read about the Consulate or Embassy that is, their requirements for student visa.

Your confirmation/admission letter from the schl and the requirements will assist in your visa processing.

Viola..visa approved,study begins,a new life and new environment sets in.

Best of luck bro..!

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:20pm On Aug 19, 2017
Cherez:
Weldone Guy,
You sound like someone who would need a scholarship and having limited fund you cannot employ the services of a consultant company.
So, I advice you:
1) Get your transcript and certificates in softcopy
2) Get a good phone that can browse and create/edit word and PDF docs.
3) Subscribe the internet with a good network and make online scholarship websites the air you breathe. NB: Don't waste your time on scholarships way ahead of you especially those for first Class graduates.
You should keep a diary of the scholarships you qualify for, requirements and deadlines and a timeline to compete each application before the deadline.
See this as a building project you need to start and roof before the rainy season starts.
4) Start downloading exam practise apps and study hard. for GRE and TOEFL/IELTS as these will help markup your 2-2 result.
5) Start preparing for 2018 scholarships TODAY.
BELIEVE IT, YOU CAN GET A SCHOLARSHIP EVEN AHEAD OF FIRST CLASS GRADUATE WHO IS NOT DILIGENT WITH THE STEPS ABOVE.
AND NEVER YOU DO A SHORTCUT (THIS WILL BE YOUR GREATEST UNDOING IF YOU DO). TAKE THE LONG WAAYS AND YOU WILL HIT YOUR MARK IN TIME.
GOD's GRACE all the way bro
Op follow this advise. It's spot on.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by mikeayus(m): 5:33pm On Aug 20, 2017
wow...this op must have read my mind, nice thread!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by ApostleEbuka(m): 8:17pm On Aug 20, 2017
Thanks to @onlyme07 and @cherez for their wonderful tips. many peeps will find the thread helpful in the future. unless the mods delete it. which i doubt by the way. success to all.
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by sobastical: 9:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
Please get a good link for your passport or else it will take forever before you get it.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by mikeayus(m): 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2017
Good evening guys, please i need tips and advice on how to go about getting admission and scholarship for my masters in the US or CANADA next year once i finish my NYSC. can i get schools that dont charge for application fees as i want to apply for a MSc Data Science or Analytics thanks.
CC onlyme07
Cherez
tensazangetsu20
Nobody
DMainMan
Warriboy21
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:58pm On Aug 25, 2017
mikeayus:
Good evening guys, please i need tips and advice on how to go about getting admission and scholarship for my masters in the US or CANADA next year once i finish my NYSC. can i get schools that dont charge for application fees as i want to apply for a MSc Data Science or Analytics thanks.
CC onlyme07
Cherez
tensazangetsu20
Nobody
DMainMan
What was your graduation grade and why do you want to do an Msc in data science? What do you hope to achieve with the degree by the time you graduate.
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by onlyme07(m): 10:06pm On Aug 25, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

What was your graduation grade and why do you want to do an Msc in data science? What do you hope to achieve with the degree by the time you graduate.

Your budget will determine which country. Canada is kinda tedious when it comes to documents but US is still a little bit liberal.

Yes,you will surely find schools that don't need application fee but english test is always a pre requisite.

You just have to surf the net and read different Unis and their requirements.

Abroad,your grade does not really matter because they believe you can't spend huge amount and become lazy.

Work after graduation.? You have to start thinking about that from now.

On the reason for the course, am not a science student but go your passion. You will flow and things will be easy any where you find yourself in life.

Once again,best of luck

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:16pm On Aug 25, 2017
onlyme07:

Your budget will determine which country. Canada is kinda tedious when it comes to documents but US is still a little bit liberal.

Yes,you will surely find schools that don't need application fee but english test is always a pre requisite.

Abroad,your grade does not really matter because they believe you can't spend huge amount and become lazy.

On the reason for the course, am not a science student but go your passion. You will flow and things will be easy any where you find yourself in life.

Once again,best of luck
In addition to this, I will advise you to choose a good school it doesn't have to be harvard or MIT but choose a school that is within the top 100 in your field.

Am sure with a good essay, gre scores and recommendations letters you should be able to pull it off. Don't run and attend any useless school just because everyone is doing it.
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by mikeayus(m): 10:29pm On Aug 25, 2017
Finished BSc Industrial Maths(maths and comp sci) with a second class upper from unilag....currently serving in a software firm andhave been working with databases(sql scripts,ms sql server integration services, oracle data integrator etc. and moving into oracle business intelligence soonest). This has made me passionate to further into either data science or analytics..or business intelligence as some schools call it. I feel the degree would help me to better fit into the industry coupled with the little experience i have gathered during my service year.

tensazangetsu20:

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by mikeayus(m): 10:31pm On Aug 25, 2017
thanks for the piece bro...

onlyme07:

Once again,best of luck
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:36pm On Aug 25, 2017
mikeayus:
Finished BSc Industrial Maths(maths and comp sci) with a second class upper from unilag....currently serving in a software firm andhave been working with databases(sql scripts,ms sql server integration services, oracle data integrator etc. and moving into oracle business intelligence soonest). This has made me passionate to further into either data science or analytics..or business intelligence as some schools call it. I feel the degree would help me to better fit into the industry coupled with the little experience i have gathered during my service year.

With a 2 1 then you are safe, use us news and check out the top 100 schools in computer science. Research on them and find out which one is the best fit for you. You should also be preparing for GRE now and getting your recommendation letters ready. One from your employer and 2 from school lecturers.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by mikeayus(m): 10:44pm On Aug 25, 2017
yeah...havent had time to start preparing for GRE ooh...my job role at my ppa is quite time demanding...
But would start working on that asap...thanks bro
tensazangetsu20:

With a 2 1 then you are safe, use us news and check out the top 100 schools in computer science. Research on them and find out which one is the best fit for you. You should also be preparing for GRE now and getting your recommendation letters ready. One from your employer and 2 from school lecturers.
Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:50pm On Aug 25, 2017
mikeayus:
yeah...havent had time to start preparing for GRE ooh...my job role at my ppa is quite time demanding...
But would start working on that asap...thanks bro
Take your time and don't do any crash work. Take your time and make sure you score very well. Take time and prepare application so you will get into a good school. You can pull off a top 20 computer science school if you prepare your application very well.

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
mikeayus:
CC onlyme07
Cherez
tensazangetsu20
Nobody
DMainMan
https://www.nairaland.com/3905661/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/177#59830403
Your answer is there bro

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps To Successfully Study Abroad As A Fresh Graduate. by ApostleEbuka(m): 3:37pm On Aug 26, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Family Reunion Visa(german Embassy) / How Much Does Passport Renewal Cost? / Travelling to Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.