Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? (11726 Views)

Prophet T.B. Joshua Of SCOAN, Is Dead Is FALSE! / When Last Did You Pray For Your Enemies? / Why Do You Pray Before Taking Your Meal ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 20, 2017
As Christians it is wrong to pray for the dead. You can only pray for the family members left behind not the dead.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:55am On Aug 20, 2017
Yes you can.
The literal presentation of Heaven and hell has messed up the concept of the spirit world.
Our departed ones need our prayers and good works so that they can advance in their journey of the great beyond.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by walls01: 10:55am On Aug 20, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Judgement by who ??

You still believe this shiit ??

How about when God fed 5,000 people with 2 fish ?? You still believe that too ??

this is spiritual stuff do you understand spiritual things? I bet you don't understand up to half of physical things
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by SOFTENGR: 10:55am On Aug 20, 2017
Queenext:
After death comes judgment, so why pray?

No repentance in grave
What about Romans 6:7?
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by rejosom(m): 10:55am On Aug 20, 2017
Queenext:
After death comes judgment, so why pray?

No repentance in grave

Maybe because our Men of God pray for the dead and they rose up. At least that's what they claim. Even Jesus claimed to pray for a man who was dead for 3 days. Now that my friend, is 3 days after judgment. You see that judgment is not final if there is anything like it.

1 Like

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by thesuave10(m): 10:57am On Aug 20, 2017
Praying for the dead is bullshît
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 20, 2017
Christians who bash denominations like Catholics who pray for the dead yet use the phrase rest in peace (Requiescat in pace)
when their loved one's die or in funerals are hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Roy11: 10:58am On Aug 20, 2017
God help your unbelief

hopefulLandlord:
prayer is useless for the living too, let alone a dead body

Nothing fails like prayer

You would have the same success praying to a milk jug as you do praying to god -- the milk jug sometimes answers your prayer the way you want to, sometimes not and sometimes the answer is delayed. See the problem here? If things turn out the way you want them to, you say it was because you prayed. If not, it's because god knows what's best and you didn't pray for the right thing. Or, if it happens 10 years later you say god answered your prayer, it was just delayed. This is nonsense. You would have the exact same effect doing nothing.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Officialzoe: 10:58am On Aug 20, 2017
It's absolutely a futile effort
Pekun210:
Praying for the dead expecially during funeral service is very common and heb 9 vs 27 says everyone has to die once and then face the consequences. So if their fate is sealed already why do we still pray for them?
And besides will God answers such prayer?
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Amberon11: 11:00am On Aug 20, 2017
Hodnis the God of the living, not dead. Mark 12: 27
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by walls01: 11:01am On Aug 20, 2017
rejosom:

Maybe because our Men of God pray for the dead and they rose up. At least that's what they claim. Even Jesus claimed to pray for a man who was dead for 3 days. Now that my friend, is 3 days after judgment. You see that judgment is not final if there is anything like it.
shakyum12:

glo user spoted grin grin oga wake up, u r not even the third to comment

the many problems we have today is to assume something and taking it as fact without real thought or may I say proof. think again about what you wrote

1 Like

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by rejosom(m): 11:05am On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:

the many problems we have today is to assume something and taking it as fact without real thought or may I say proof. think again about what you wrote

Maybe you can help me point out the assumptions made in the statement.

Could it be any of these?
(I) That Pastors claim to raise the dead.
(II) That Jesus raised a man who was dead for 3 days according to the bible.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Pekun210(m): 11:05am On Aug 20, 2017
Any time u gather around d corpse to say last prayers...automatically you av prayed
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 20, 2017
Amberon11:
Hodnis the God of the living, not dead. Mark 12: 27

isn't this kinda contradictory.?

exodus 3:6

Then he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

he used I am present tense to say this to Moses even though Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were already dead at the time.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Pekun210(m): 11:08am On Aug 20, 2017
You av a point though...rest in peace is nt a curse...but shud we just put the corpse inside the grave without doing nothing?

Proudgorgeousga:
Christians who bash denominations like Catholics who pray for the dead yet use the phrase rest in peace (Requiescat in pace)
when their loved one's die or in funerals are hypocrites.

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Akin1212(m): 11:08am On Aug 20, 2017
sexybaby22:
They have started again this Sunday. Time to bash Catholics abi?
If you gather round the graves during a burial and say any prayer, you are already praying for the dead so we all do.

God hears it and the souls of the departed are comforted when you pray for them. Not all sins should lead to hell. Our God is just as compassionate as he is Awesome.

Compassionate as he is awesome, so what's the need for HELL FIRE?
A compassionate god creating hell fire defiles every rule of logic.

1 Like

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by bentuzene(m): 11:10am On Aug 20, 2017
Ask this?

Did Jesus ever pray for the Dead? When? Where? and Why?

Only When he was to resurrect someone did he pray for them.

Solomon even said in Ecclesiastics the dead know Nothing!

Actually Praying for the Dead started with Catholics and was a means to generate funds through Penances and Indulgences back in the ages (Sorry to all Catholics here for mentioning your faith.) But that's the origin of praying for the dead!

Live to the best and fullest for once you die, It's all over!

Except you lived the good life on earth as Christ taught. Stay Blessed and free from the dear of Death!
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by walls01: 11:10am On Aug 20, 2017
rejosom:

Maybe you can help me point out the assumptions made in the statement.

Could it be any of these?
(I) That Pastors claim to raise the dead.
(II) That Jesus raised a man who was dead for 3 days according to the bible.
you said claimed? did you bother to verify first before your conclusion?
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by bentuzene(m): 11:12am On Aug 20, 2017
Oh and in direct response to the OP, it is futile to pray for the dead for their case lies with God at Death from the Bible!
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 20, 2017
Pekun210:
You av a point though...rest in peace is nt a curse...but shud we just put the corpse inside the grave without doing nothing?

Do what makes you feel better and help the grieving families cope. maybe the families feel better praying for their dead loved ones.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of those that say praying for the dead is sin not those that claim is useless.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by rejosom(m): 11:17am On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:

you said claimed? did you bother to verify first before your conclusion?

Verify? You don't believe the Bible again? How can I verify the Lazarus story... though I feel it is BS but I have to believe it by faith.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by 9jatatafo(m): 11:20am On Aug 20, 2017
Did Jesus Christ ever taught us to pray for the dead? the bible clearly stated that the wages of sin is death and after death is judgement. Why offer needless prayer for the need? Praying for the need is useless and baseless
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by walls01: 11:22am On Aug 20, 2017
rejosom:

Verify? You don't believe the Bible again? How can I verify the Lazarus story... though I feel it is BS but I have to believe it by faith.

you said pastors claimed, that was what I was referring to.
the person that wrote that account of Jesus raising a dead body is a eye witness. in your court of law how do the judge view an eye witness
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Lordspenzo(m): 11:25am On Aug 20, 2017
buygala:
Something has to be done to justify the consumption of drinks and food at the funeral smiley

If you don't go through the stress of singing funeral hymns, listening to funeral sermons, crying a bit and blowing your nose once in a while, especially when the corpse arrives the venue, and mumbling something when the corpse goes down into the hole, why then will you feel entitled to the funeral Jolof rice and Coke?
lol..u no wel
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by rejosom(m): 11:25am On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:

you said pastors claimed, that was what I was referring to.
the person that wrote that account of Jesus raising a dead body is a eye witness. in your court of law how do the judge view an eye witness

Fair enough so my conclusions was right after all... If Jesus can pray for a man dead for 3 days (3 days after judgment) then people can pray for their loved ones who are dead. Any objections?

As for the pastors who claim to raise the dead... I don't need to verify. If Jesus did it, why can't they? Remember he said his followers shall do greater things.
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by MadCow1: 11:26am On Aug 20, 2017
Prayers are futile.. Be it for the living of the Dead. cool

3 Likes

Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by AstuteAyo(m): 11:28am On Aug 20, 2017
Who gat the code for checking the MTNAwwuf bonus account?
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by walls01: 11:32am On Aug 20, 2017
rejosom:

Fair enough so my conclusions was right after all... If Jesus can pray for a man dead for 3 days (3 days after judgment) then people can pray for their loved ones who are dead. Any objections?

yes. we can't just pray for the dead due to many reasons. when a person dies he is transformed and faces judgement. if the person has already been judge then he can't just leave and come back because a person prayed.
and most importantly death is the end of the road to a man journey on earth extending that journey is God alone to say. so God instructs his true servants to pray if he wishes to extend the journey. without instructions no one can raise the dead
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by rejosom(m): 11:36am On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:

yes. we can't just pray for the dead due to many reasons. when a person dies he is transformed and faces judgement. if the person has already been judge then he can't just leave and come back because a person prayed.
and most importantly death is the end of the road to a man journey on earth extending that journey is God alone to say. so God instructs his true servants to pray if he wishes to extend the journey. without instructions no one can raise the dead

Fine, so you can pray for your departed loved ones, Maybe God may wish to extend the journey with instructions because you prayed, right?
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by walls01: 11:38am On Aug 20, 2017
rejosom:

Fine, so you can pray for your departed loved ones, Maybe God may wish to extend the journey with instructions because you prayed, right?

yes
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by rejosom(m): 11:44am On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:

yes

Yes
Re: Can You Pray For The Dead? Is It A Futile Effort? by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 20, 2017
Mavrick2012:
Eschatological fallacies every where.
Simple logic: if we can't remember ever existing before we were born, how come we so sure we will "eternally" have memories and consciousness after death?

Of course!
Before we were born? Why go back that long? And since I can't remember where I put my toothbrush on May 3 1984 this proves I can't be sure of having memories and consciousness after death.

Yikes.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period / TB Joshua Celebrates His 52nd Birthday Today / What If Obama Is The Anti-Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.